All Comments on 'It Was Something in Her Voice'

by GaryAPB

Sort by:
  • 498 Comments (Page 2)
teh568teh568almost 14 years ago
Kind of Depressing

I don't know, but stories are suppose to be entertaining. This one was...but it made me want to slit my own wrists. Maybe, too depressing?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Very realistic

I have to agree with Average-Joe. The way you wrote his character and the way you wrote hers did not allow for a reconciliation. You demeaned her as having no self-respect throughout the story...and even as being somewhat small-minded...even though she was a devoted wifeand Mother for 25 years. You wrote about him as being a self-righteous and prideful man that just could not accept that she was not as perfect and self-respectful as he was... I was somehow intrigued...I mean, why didn't he know that about her for 25 years? Still, a very good tale. I think he deserved to be sad and alone. I don't agree with all the commenters that think 25 years of a loving marriage is worth nothing compared to a man's pride! You readers that think that will probably end up just like this husband did! Or already have!

deadsoondeadsoonover 13 years ago
Good story

I agree with another commenter that the story is realistic. If there was love in a marriage that is destroyed by cheating then no one wins. As for the revenge aspect even that was realistic ... again, no winners in the long-term ... just pain all around. The main characters (husband & wife at least at the beginning of the story) where well described and from my point of view belieavable.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caover 13 years ago
Great

A great read yet again, sure wish you'd pen another tale or two.

demantoiddemantoidover 13 years ago
Great story and well told

Thank you for your gift of writing a wonderful short story and allowing me and others to wallow luxuriantly in your story telling talents. I appreciate your generosity and look selfishly forward to other trysts with your wit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Nice story...

... for the ditch the bitch and live a lonely life club. I'm not a member.

FrankjrBauerFrankjrBauerover 13 years ago
Excellent story, but...

the very last indention did shock me. It led me to write a late comment. I haven't read all the other user comments, so maybe my comment is an iteration.

How old is Greg ? Just 50, and you let him say ....and I've ended up as a lonely sad old man with no one to love or to love me... My God, GaryAPB, I really can't fathom your intentions to let him believe that. Greg is in his prime, successful and powerful. He is an independent man with definite self-respect. There should be a queue of lovely women out there to catch him. I am 61 years old and I feel very young. From your biography I've learned you are between 51 and 60. Do you feel old?

So I have to confess that the very last indention made me angry about your story.

Sorry GaryAPB

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
this guy

decided not to be a member of the 'creampie club' - good for him, better to feel lonely for while and cry in your beer than rest your chin every night on the cuckold's chinrest, unless of course you're into that sort of thing

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Well, gee whiz, Greg's not dead yet!

He's well to do, healthy, and he is an "old and lonely" man. He tells his ex that she should go live at 43 Manvers St. where the people who just want to feel sorry for themselves stay, yet he is feeling alone. Baloney, he can and could get all the companionship he wants. It's never too late to start over, and if he wanted, he could have Susan back.

huedogghuedoggabout 13 years ago
Come on Gary

The son is doing what all kids want, the parents together, but the wife is a slut and the son will realize it one day.

brujaybrujayabout 13 years ago
Is that all there is.........?

Just feels unfinished to me. Yes, it has ending, but.........

chootkabhootchootkabhootalmost 13 years ago
pathetic old slut

the cunt tells her husband to forgive her little affair, it's nothing compared to 25 years of marriage!! she must be a stupid slut. why isn't she out screwing more strange cock, now that she is free??

FD45FD45almost 13 years ago
It started too slow.

You took almost two pages before you even mentioned the wife.

The affair thing dovetailed in 3 seconds and the husband doesn't come across as a sympathetic character at all. I don't like adulterous wives but in the end, I was feeling sorry for her.

Nobody to like in this story. But it was well crafted.

LechemanLechemanalmost 13 years ago
Ending sort of hung!

I agree with Brujay insofar that I expected something more to the story. It almost begs a sequel or tying up of his emotional state rather than just leaving an empty lonely man. You built his character well to be strong, determined and directed only to end up almost in a similar situation to his wife.

Oh well you did a good job on the story anyway so my hats off to you there.

Cheers!

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
Another old folks story

I rated 1*

roomfor1moreroomfor1morealmost 13 years ago
The story that will not end

This is another story that is unnecessarily long with a lot of unnecessary material, poor grammar, and unnecessary dialog. Taking time to edit the story for content, editing the story for grammar, and possibly breaking the story into two chapters would improve the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
roomfor1more

I've attempted to read the putrid garbage you consider literature, at least I think you consider it so, judging by your comments on this story. I think it's best if you keep your idiotic, hypocritical comments to yourself, and go into a corner and whack off, leaving real, and at least semi-talented, writers to entertain the rest of us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
no ending

no ending good but ending sucks

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I really wish I'd hated this story.

That way, the 5* rating I gave it could partially cancel out DWeeb DWornock's vote.

DWormCockDWormCockover 12 years ago
Another old folks story

I rated 5*

CapitusCapitusover 12 years ago
Another great story...

...that shows the misery of being right. I noticed Susan never said she was sorry for doing it, which feels like a loose end. Like others it felt unfinished (especially after reading the Back to Bristol epic) and could use a second chapter. I don't mind a slow beginning if it is paced well and creates some tension. I love the moment before the hammer falls...and I like to know the ultimate outcome.

Again, well done. Keep up the good work.

roscovichroscovichover 12 years ago
Typical Pommy's mindless pompous prattle.

It just goes on and on. So boring. All of this could have been condensed onto one page. What a waste of space.

nwhalernwhalerover 12 years ago
This deserves to be on the all time list - one of the best ones here

Extremely well written story with very good characterizations.

The husband, wife, children and the lover are all believable characters and the ending is really excellent.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 12 years ago
Nice twist -

This is the first story by this writer I have read (I believe lol) and the perspective is really interesting -

Treat the emotional situation unemotionally and act based on simple straight lines of logic - then suffer the pains of their emotions rising to the surface (which they were sure to do)- makes one think a bit I love a story that does that -

I do not have to agree with a single word and will still give it 5 stars - however I do appreciate and agree with some of the sentiments and the logic lol.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Good Emotions & Characters

Although I would have liked a little more insight into the wife's motivation to cheat. Still, this is the type of miscommunication that happens frequently in long-term marriages, and often goes unresolved. There are no winners.

DunaDunaabout 12 years ago

Start gym and after same month look at new older women dating sites in the Net..........

DunaDunaabout 12 years ago

Sometime would be chance a reconcilation, but she should look after herself and stop drinking.

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
time he got back

with the woman he loved - they both paid a price - if any two had a reason for getting back together it is them. a very good story. he just cant find anyone he loves as much as he loves her. you get a 5.

MrVdogMrVdogalmost 12 years ago
Oh come on, get real here!

Greg is a decent-looking guy with money; he would have his choice of 50 women, all the way from widows and divorcees his age, to 25 year old arm candy. What a weenie.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
The most...

...arrogant, unpleasant asshole of a main character that I've come across in any story on this site so far. In real life, I doubt that any woman would have put up with such a self-satisfied and emotionless bastard for 27 months, let alone 27 years.

Unfortunately, the writer doesn't seem to know anything whatsoever about females, so the wife's character is totally unreal.

A horrible story that I gave 1* because it isn't possible to give it less.

Yuri5Yuri5almost 12 years ago
Ironic

Amazing how anon posting on 06/26/12 calls him "arrogant, unpleasant asshole of a main character". After all the years of sacrifices he's made for his ex-wife, that's what he is. How about the fact that his entire relationship has been a sham? The wife was a terrible woman who didn't trust her husband and broke her relationship.

I don't see how you can call him unemotional! He was struggling to hold on to sanity and not fall apart! I don't think he was treating it unemotionally, and he definitely used sense as well because he realised how small he'd feel if he accepted what she did and still remained in the relationship. The ex-wife neither apologised nor actually fought for him; instead she let herself get fat and bitter (maybe you see yourself in her?).

It's not the same woman he thought she was, nor is he the same man she thought he was. I think he still has a chance at happiness with some woman, and his ex-wife does as well, though it may be another man. But you know, you can keep on hating men, at least we won't have to put up with you in person intimately.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
fuck her she is a cheater

rather have self respect than deal with a cheating wife

bye

phd70phd70almost 12 years ago
Agree with Can'tBuyMe. He needs to get a Life!

I remember a quote from another Lit Story:

'Would your life be better with her than it is without'. His pride prevents him from allowing his ex-wife to have a weak period in her life and to make some errors. He seems sad and has diminished his family life! Both husband and wife have failed in comunication. She assumed that he had cheated when she had no real evidence. They failed to develop a relationship that would have permitted real honesty! Gave it a 4.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
that's nhow you ended it??

WTF, The story was great but you sucked with that ending. I mean at elast you have told us what happened to them both!!

FD45FD45almost 12 years ago
Reread

And on second glance, I understand why it was so long before you introduced and dealt with the wife. You were establishing the character of the husband. While a bit overly wordy, it established who he was quite nicely.

I'm sure you didn't miss the irony of the business deal juxtapositioned to the marriage. The Husband was willing to cut a new deal with the former client, but did no such thing with the wife. While she certainly didn't win many points for explaining matters to hubby, she also wasn't a totally damaged 'product'. Reconcilliation was more then possible in this instance, even with her thoughts on his infidelity. We are blind men groping an elephant when it comes to life and relationships and there are still surprises I find in my own marriage.

But...reconcilliation wasn't really possible with this character as written. The wife needed to put forward a 'business plan' and she didn't. Her attitude of 'time served' rang true...but she also had much more then a twinge of 'you need to get over this because it's uncomfortable for me.' Well...

You also reinforced his inflexibilty regarding Mary. She wouldn't change her 5 star, son centered lifestyle for him and yet it never occurs to moneybags that maybe he should change (some) for her. If he offered her a nice cruise down to Peru first, that might have sweetened the pot. Not his nature. Doesn't make him evil or even bad. If you like action girls, then date an action girl.

I liked the subtle touches of everything happening from a tone of voice. While it's a classic for the husband to see a pimply butt shoving a cock into a willing wife, it isn't really necessary when we know that person. Most Private Investigators say that where there is smoke, there's fire re one's partner.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
perfect

Asshole

just another self righteois fool.

If you expect perfection you will always

Have to eat the ashes that go with it

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Would you take her back?

She did 2 things wrong:

1) She cheated more than once!

2) She lived with the thought he was cheating on her for over 20 years; without confronting him. Would you live with someone that thought you were a cheater and wouldn't bring that up for all those years? Not me! I would want my spouse to communicate with me.

cantbuymycantbuymyover 11 years ago
decided i was wrong

she is a cheating fucking cunt and did it four times. there is a new pussy out there for him, let the cheating cunt get fat and sick. he played by the rules she said fuck off and i need some new cock. the price she paid was losing the old cock. the best cure for a lost old pussy is a new pussy. works every time. let the kids find out how much they forgive when it is their wife caught fucking someone else and only stops because she gets caught.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Gahhhhhh

Great read but a crap finish!!!!!! You'll need to finish to make it make sense

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
What an incompetent Garbage !!

And rational people actually taking this inane prattle seriously ?? Unreal!! 1*.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
With or Without Her ?

Look, she cheated. Sucks. Now you left her . That's manly, muy macho. She's unhappy. Good. After 20 years , a man's departure should be marked by a void. It's been awhile. Marriage is finito. You've tried other women. It hasn't worked out.

You miss the cheating bitch . She misses you. You are crying in your drink like a overwrought bitch. Buddy, it sucks to be you. Because you gotta give her another chance. You did the right thing by leaving her. You'll be doing the right thing by coming & trying again. Good but not great fucking story, a little overwrought at times. Oh well. Thanks to author .

semofuncpl3semofuncpl3over 11 years ago
Nice story

right up to the end. There are lots of women out there and if he can't find one to spend the rest of his life with it is because he's a twit.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 11 years ago
I agree with Cantbuymy and semo

life goes on, women out number men 15 to 1.

firas01firas01over 11 years ago
the ending?

for the whole story, i can feel that the writer is struggling to force reconciliation but is not succeeding, so i guess that he came up with this ending to show us the BTB club fans that reconciliation could have been better, however, great writing and thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
still like the man

kick her skanky ass to the curb she is nothing but a whore.

worthless married women that cheat don't deserve a second chance to spread their legs.

i hate all cheaters they all deserve the worst life in the world.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 11 years ago
Loved it!

The ending left me dissatisfied. I agree he did the right thing- she got exactly what she deserved and didn't ever seem to feel sorry for what she did. Inserting the notion of her disrespecting him by thinking he was cheating all those years was brilliant. It was a bit awkward at first, but played out well. I actually think it should have been emphasized more. Had she truly admitted being sorry, I could have ultimately gone for reconciliation. This is the line that squashed that sentiment for me:

and once, just once, I made a mistake and had a little relationship of my own, and what does my loving husband do? He doesn't try talking to me, he doesn't try to understand, he just walks out and divorces me.

Again, she thinks it wasn't such a big deal.

phil2213phil2213over 11 years ago
The story was thought provoking

Greg was a pontificating asshole. He was very convinced in his quest to be right. I have no pity for Susan, who acted like a skank whore. I think they deserved eachother for punishment. Quite honestly, I don't like stories with bad endings but thus story was so well written that I loved hating it. The situation was real human interest story in that infidelity is running rampant amongst all socioeconomic categories. People need to respect themselves first and then their associations with others. Others would include their families extended families their spouse or partner or special friend. Life is about who we are and how we relate to others. We all know it is impossible to always be right but we should strive to be the best that we can be and do things that we know will make our heart feel good about who we are. This story moved my thought process since I myself have been divorced twice and quite possibly my exwives and I just gave up to the stresses of living. I know I wasn't right but I didn't try my best. I guess in my hope of hopes, I will always be better for having been married to very wonderful special people and I lost sight how special through my own lack of focus. In summary keep your eye on the ball and keep your head up straight and do your best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Gary

You write too well to produce this tissue of stereotypes. The "loving wives (ii) revenge" genre is depressingly formulaic and as cliched as a J T Edson western. Take the genre by the scruff of the neck and shake it apart. Come on, you can do it.

maninconnmaninconnover 11 years ago
Great story...

....deserved 5*, but the abrupt ending just fizzled out.

cantbuymycantbuymyover 11 years ago

she killed the marriage by fucking around and the fact she is miserble is her problem. he will get another woman, he did nothing wrong and kept his balls, even if it hurt to do it.

1Thinkingman1Thinkingmanabout 11 years ago
Greg's problem

is that life only has gray areas when you create them to obfuscate the black areas. You can either live by the agreements you made or suffer the consquences. Greg made a decision that the contract was broken. He made all the right choices and still in the end he is unhappy. That is life and that is what makes this a story worthy of ***** and special over all the stories that try to write trite happy endings.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Too bad

I gave it a five, but you got the ethnicity wrong. Only a Scot would nurse a grievance like that.

BrettarnBrettarnabout 11 years ago
Brilliant....but too real....

Unfortunately I could even supply the real names for this story. In some ways its nice to read a gritty true to life piece, in others its nice to escape into fantasy with the written word. Regarding the ending, further peace and enjoyment was obtained, but the happiness of the past was never re-achieved.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
sad sad disgusting story of a brutally self-pontificating asshole

Susan was a cheating whore and deserved to be emotionally distraught. She was wrong and she deserved all the wrath and fury of a wronged virtuous husband. Greg was in short a prick that punished himself and his wife for her error in good judgment. He could've given it a second chance. The story is depressing and a dismal account of wreckless wanton behavior and its potential worst case scenario. Greg was unreasonable and uncompromising. 27 years is a longtime to waste, Susan would never had cheated again but why would she want to be with an asshole like Greg to begin with. This story made no sense nor did it have logic. It was a futile attempt at something cold and heart breaking where everyone lost their souls.

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 11 years ago

this is what a cheating fucking cunt does to a family. an honorable man does the honorable thing and she is a whore so he should forgive her because she gets caught? no fucking way. she caused this by spreading her legs - he did nothing worng.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
actually wasnt to bad until the ending, he is to young to give up

I was 55 when i met my second wife, we have been married 18 years and have two children, my wife was younger than me. He simply needs to forget about the old slut and live.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Not so good

What an idiot he was. Pompous, rigid, self Richeous, constipated asshole. I'm amazed his wife managed to put up with his bullshit. Please, so many repetitions of her" four times". There was no plot, no real action, in the end:

ashes, ashes, they all fell down!

You're a decent writer, maybe try some shorter stories.

elHosedelHosedabout 11 years ago
Two souls passing in the night...

These two were the embodyment of that phrase. To be married that long and NEVER realize how completely the other doesn't understand you? How does that happen?

In the end, George made the right choice, if for no other reason then the fact that his marriage was long dead anyways. Was a shame seeing him give up on life in general though, but one can certainly understand that result.

What I found most dissappointing were his kids. Their complete inability to connect with him and understand his perspective shows that his real failure was with how they were raised.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 11 years ago
Hand Wringing

Like your stories BUT the masculine hand wringing wears on you. This would have been a good tale to end on a moral positive note.

Sigh......

Still, a well written tale.

Thx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
So, she cheated four times (that she admitted to).

So, we're suppose to feel sorry for the cheating woman and feel that he was too tough on her. Bullshit. She worked for what she got..let her "enjoy" it.

PolyLvrPolyLvrover 10 years ago
Meh

I could understand if he came out and said, I'm divorcing you because of your affair.

But, to hem and haw about it and to ultimately dump her because she thought he had cheated too?

To me he sounded pompous, sanctimonious, and emotionally stunted. If his wife can get her shit together she'd be better off without him.

monkcalmmonkcalmover 10 years ago
wow

I guess you can tell this author is one of those guys that sucker punches, sleeps with his best friends girl, steals from homeless, would have given up the Jews to Nazi's, burn a cross on a black mans lawn as long as he was in his robes well hidden, a proud supporter of the feminist movement because all men are bad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Greq is a dick

Characters don't have to be likeable to make a good story, but they have to have some redeeming qualities. He doesn't appear to have any. In America, he'd be a Republican, specifically a Teabagger. Chantelle would be hired for diaper play after Greg's hard day of trolling in airport Men's Rooms. I don't know what the UK equivalent is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
no ending

it was a very good story until the last then it just ended no end of story it just stoped that brings in down from a 5 to a 3

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
The Ending is There

You just have to think. She thought he was cheating and didn't say anything about it. If she did talk about it she would have found out he was a faithful, loving, hard working family man who cared for her and the children above all else. She cheated. As Greg said, "she broke the contract." Ye reap what ye sow. If the tale was to continue Greg would eventually meet the right woman while Susan will just drink and eat herself to death. A bit harsh? Maybe. But that would be the eventual ending. There, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Moron with his head up his butt.

So typical of the asshole that treats his marriage like a business. He cheated on her with the lack of intimacy that every good woman needs. But hey, loved the ending, he created his own misery and blamed everyone else. I would have loved it better if she found that man that really LOVED her and not just the concept of a "wife."

DevotedWifeDevotedWifeover 10 years ago
What are you, Anonymous, Another Cheating Cunt?

Gary's betrayed men are old-fashioned good guys, you know, the ones that love their wives, the kind that DON'T forget anniversaries, hard-working, but the kind that DO pay attention to their wives, that try to find balance in their lives, that are attentive fathers as well. So what if they're all businessmen?

Whereas his women just selfishly indulge themselves. But somehow, you think his male characters are MORONS for divorcing themselves from wives that have affairs for NO GOOD REASON! No small dick, no cheating, no abuse, nope! Just "...no real reason. I was lonely and bored. And I was angry at you that you still hadn't retired like you promised. And I was sure you had wandered in your time..." (no discussion with him or PI report, of course).

Look to your own backyard, Anonymous. You probably cheated on a "Greg".

I agree with betrayedbylove. And I am a 63-year-old woman, not some betrayed man. In fact, I am lucky enough to be married to a "Greg".

VickieTernVickieTernover 10 years ago
Fascinating!

This guy is a stiff prig who thinks human life consists of principles traced on graph paper. She gives up her life and career for him and he stalls his retirement for business reasons -- that is, his own reasons, not theirs. She slips once, and because he thinks each person in the universe is adequately self-reliant, a self-supporting and self-sufficient island unto him or her self and not a needful member of others who need each other, and hasn't the foggiest that prior obligations implicit or stated are MUTUAL in a relationship, he abandons HIS obligation to support her in HER need. He's a contemptible asshole. Let him vote Republican and live alone! Susan is fog-minded and foolish for wanting to re-associate with him, though I can understand her habituation -- she isn't accustomed to thinking issues through, and long-term commitments however stressed are -- alas -- habit-forming.

DunaDunaover 10 years ago
Hid Reconcilation story

Greg did not build any emotional effort to Mary, so he lives alone........He did not want to be stepfather. Naturaly he could find newer woman, but he does not want to give emotional effort to any connection.

The story Author wanted to write a hid reconcilation story.............

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Think of it this way to sort it out...

If you told a judge: I've been a good and devoted wife for 27 years, working at my church every week. And this one time, JUST THIS ONCE!, I slipped and picked up a gun and killed someone!

Do you think the judge would say: "Oh, OK, well since you haven't ever killed anyone BEFORE this once, I'm going to give you a pass on this one. You're free to go."

Not bloody likely!!! Maybe you'd get a reduced sentence (ie, good settlement in a divorce), but that's about it!

*********************************

For some things in life, it is ONE strike and your out!

Even Jesus saw this as one of the few justifiable reasons for divorce. See Matthew 5:32.

Why is it the damn liberals (see the comment about voting Republican) that seem to think they know even better than even Jesus?

I assume because they have no morals.

If Jesus could understand, my liberal NOT-friend, so should you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Obviously Vickytern is another cheating slut.

Cheating wife story and a husband with a backbone. VickyTern won't understand that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Oh yes, VickieTern...

She slipped up just once, hey? Over 4 months she slipped up, cheating in her mind until she WILLINGLY and KNOWINGLY crawled into bed with another man, WILLINGLY spread her legs apart and let another man, one she wasn't married to, hammer his cock into her willing cunt. Oh, and lets not forget, she did it WILLINGLY, FOUR times.

She was obviously an immoral Democrat....which of course, is redundant.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

This is a recording:

FINISH THE DAMN STORY!!!

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
These fucking people need to learn to communicate rather than just keeping it inside.

Then they can drink and feel sorry for themselves forever. And the man, he KNOWS now he should just swallow his pride and take his slut wife back (and I am usually just of the BTB supporters). Since neither of them are happy now they should try to reconcile, they can always break it off if it does not work. I just broke up an almost 16 year relationship due to our interests becoming different and I had all of it I could take. No cheating that I know of although I had occasional suspicions, just incompatibility. Let's just say that she wasn't into me as much as I was into her and I got tired of the situation. 15 years and 8 months (but who is counting, not me, LOL). I am still depressed to a certain extent. It is a good thing that I have Literotica to take my mind off things. At least I have not turned to drink and I have my family to depend on.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
wow

Ballsy tragic ending!

Could have been better if Greg put a gun in his mouth and blew his sad brains out just as Jude walked back in to the room. That way Greg could have fucked one more life up on his way out. Its a shame not to work Mel in there too. Maybe as Greg shoots himself, he has a fleeting memory of molesting her as a young girl. That way Greg can shit on his entire family.

Or... you could put some of that "Back to Bristol" magic into this and reverse this "drive off a cliff" ending.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 10 years ago
I just finished reading this again and I will make a further comment.

Susan still does not admit that she did anything really wrong, it was just a little slip and it was only this one time in 25 years of marriage. If Greg got back with her she would still be singing that same tune and would be resentful about the divorce and want to argue about that all the time. It would never work out so better for Greg to be lonely, there are a lot of other women out there, he should not give up.

Remember, folks, this was just a story, no one was betrayed and no actual feelings were hurt. Entertaining story, GaryAPB, thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

I don't understand the ending. His actions and thoughts don't add up to a sad lonely man. They in fact add up to a man living well and having a great time doing it. So that last paragraph doesn't make sense. I can see feeling sorry for the ex, except that she refuses to take responsibility for her actions and seems to blame hubby for the break up of thier marriage. I just don't know.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
suspend ?

Hard to suspend the disbelief on this.

The author would have us believe that a rich, reasonably good looking, 50 year old divorced man would have a poor chance of finding a woman and would need to settle for an incompatible one or else take back a cheater.

Did I mention he is rich ?

Women often prefer divorced men over never married, it shows that he is willing to commit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Sorry conclusion to a tale with potential.

Some how we are made to feel sorry for a cheating wife. She spread her legs four times..so be it. Should of been more empathy for him.

bobajotbobajotabout 10 years ago
@Tw0Cr0ws

Problem is not attracting gold diggers or women seeking financial security but coming to terms with a realisation that he will never have another meaningful relationship. 27 years is a long time and a lot of memories surrounding building of a family life. That is not going to happen again he's too old. The author had that correct life is very lonely with no family or limited exposure to offspring.

sdc92078sdc92078about 10 years ago
Why he's niot happy

He had a 25 year marriage to what he thought was a loving, faithful partner who shared a lifetime of memories and experiences. Then he discovered that not only was she not a faithful partner, but that in reality she never had been, because she had spent all those years quietly resenting him for his nonexistent unfaithfulness that she never saw fit to confront him over and give him a chance to resolve. Now, he might be able to find someone as compatible with him as he once thought his ex-wife was, but he'll never have that 25 years of shared memories and experiences with anyone again. And because the ones he thought he had had with the ex turned out to be a lie, he can't even get them back by deciding to reconcile with her. She's ruined his past as well as his present and his future.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
needs another chapter

finish the story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Ending?

I hate these stories that don't have an ending!

starmanfivestarmanfivealmost 10 years ago
A positively brilliant story

I loved it when I first read it years ago, and it still captivates on the reread. Everything progressed as it had to. The business dealings at first seemed superfluous, but it set up the character of Hubby. He would have to change the person that he was to stay with Susan. After he learned about her mistaken feelings about his character and morals, he could never reconcile. The end paragraph is a realistic reaction to his losing forever his chance to live the life he strived his entire adult life. This story is great but it is also a tragedy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Backbone

Well at least you never made him a cooky.But by the way there are plenty of very fine fish in the sea even after a twenty five year marriage.

And when you have a new relationship you get to start at ground zero.It's great,much better than being with someone who has shown you they will betray you.

Slowride_Slowride_almost 10 years ago
Critics - Please go back to reading comic books...

...because writing like this is beyond you.

GaryAPB brought the fresh concept of "betrayal by belief" to LW. It was the nail in the coffin, and the moment it surfaced was writing magic. Fantastic work, perfect ending.

Bd4554Bd4554almost 10 years ago
Superbly done

Very different from the usual story on here. Exceptionally well conceived and beautifully written.

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
very good

agreements can come from a contract, and should be honored, but a marriage is supposed to come from the heart and head(I don't mean the small one). I think greg is a computer, with not much feeling for the woman he married, or much compassion either, which makes me think the reason he got married in the first place was for lust not love.

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 9 years ago
The ending sucked

I found it unrealistic. Greg was a very successful, very wise man. His reasons for divorcing Susan were clear and unassailable. Frankly, they were the best I've ever heard! He is rich, free and young, yes young; though you have to reach 60 to believe me. He hasn't ended up anything yet! There is absolutely no reason to settle for someone like Susan. All he needs to do is stay out of the bars, and keep doing what he enjoys doing. He'll meet like-minded women, and find love again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
why start a tale

and end it without an ending. 2 stars

rover5162rover5162over 9 years ago
ending

thats no way to end this story.. you built it up with so many details then just dropped it off with no ending after all the build up !!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I gave it five stars...

... The ending was perfect and realistic. Panther fan.

sdc97230sdc97230over 9 years ago
Greg needs to check himself into that place for people who won't help themselves

He needs counseling to help himself move on. And then he needs to join some groups where he can meet people who enjoy the things he does and form new social circles. Having one companion who likes all the same things you like is not worth the cost of living with a woman who can neither trust nor be faithful.

ramonbrookramonbrookover 9 years ago
I wasted a lot of time reading this!

He loves Susan!

He knows why she cheated even tho she was wrong

He not only destroyed her life but his life as well because of his ego

He will die a very lonely man because he is looking for someone like Susan

SAD STORY!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
sad

the ending was, well sad.

2 lives destroyed. Thats the way it ended?

Move on to new relationships, get back together, but just end it with both in misery?

She will suicide soon, she has the signs.

it needs more to finish the tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
2

star

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Five BIG Stars!

Various Comments -

Greg has leverage with the Board re C&G – if they don’t go along with him, he just says, “Well, you obviously don’t want my leadership, I might as well take my early retirement and let Tom takeover!”

The Board didn’t like what he did to C&G? Again, if they don’t like the way he is running things, then let him retire!

“You can't just walk out on twenty five years of marriage without even talking."

No, but SHE can fuck around on 25 years of marriage, apparently with hardly a thought!

I know I’m repeating myself for those who follow my comments, but why do these women who so casually cheat on their husbands get so upset when their husbands walk out?

“You were never meant to be hurt by this.”

Well, OBVIOUSLY, since he was never meant to KNOW about it!

She says that it is a “horrid thought” that she might have had other affairs, that the children might not be his. “For twenty seven years you have been the only man in my life. I promise you that."

Obviously not QUITE 27 years, and we’ve SEEN what her promises are worth!

How does she know that “WE” can get over it? SHE has nothing to get over, since she is the offending party, and she has no knowledge of or right to say anything about what HE can get over.

His son talks about how it would be around him if every guy who was two-timed slugged the other guy, but it’s different when you’re married, especially for years, than when you are single.

How did David meet Susan? And, okay, HE was under stress, what was her excuse? And he never thought to consider HER marriage before hooking up with her?

For someone who wants to stay together, and has been caught in an admitted affair, for her to simply refuse his honest explanation with ZERO proof to the contrary, seems a bit counter-productive to me. And in any case, as he said, if she had any concerns she should have brought them up, instead of stashing them away, waiting for the chance to throw them in his face!

“I made a mistake and had a little relationship of my own.”

Um, MARRIED people DON’T have relationships of their own, big OR small!

Frankly, I think he's being too hard on himself. So far, he has only had two other relationships, the one with the Aussie hardly even qualifies as a relationship. He is still in his prime, has money, time and a sense of adventure, he can still find someone to share his life with.

As far as Susan goes, her fate is in her own hands, if she refuses to help herself whatever happens to her is her own fault.

hellsentguyhellsentguyover 9 years ago
Greg is an ass.

He is a self-righteous, unbending ass.

He is right in everything and wrong about everything.

He will die alone and unhappy and still saying he was right.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
This belongs in the Sci Fi section

I mean a Brit who doesn't enjoy being a cuckold. What is this site coming to?

On a more serious note, I don't understand how there are so many stories here with such Jekyll and Hyde characters. So many strong, forceful men who can achieve such high levels of success yet are doomed to a lonely life because they can't find someone to share their lives with. How did they find the first wife anyway. Lots of great people out there if you are willing to go to the trouble... and don't have a hack writer giving you such an illogical character.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

BORRRRRING!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGaryAPB@GaryAPB
Happily married for over 30 years, now semi-retired

SIMILAR Stories