It's a Miracle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The following day they were ready to go, and Rick smiled when she handed them to him.

"Calligraphy and everything, huh?"

"I love doing this kind of thing!" his mom replied.

He shuffled through them and stopped when he found the one that had Karn's name on it and smiled.

"They're not sealed yet. You know, in case you want to write something personal...in one of them."

"She probably doesn't have any, you know, feelings for me," Rick said.

His mom knew exactly who he had in mind and smiled.

"She's quite a bit older than you, so that may be the case. But if you have feelings for her, you owe it to yourself to find out."

"Even if she's...41?"

"Honey? I'd do anything to have your father back. And if I believed I could have that again with someone else—of any age—I'd be on every dating site there is. But you're not me. And you have Emma to think about. I don't know Ms. Peterson well, but I have met her. She's a very attractive woman, and even more importantly, she's seems like a wonderful person. So while there is a big age difference, if you like her, and if you find out she feels that way about you, I'd be very happy for you."

"Wow. I have the best daughter and the best mom in the world," her thankful son said before hugging her and thanking her for the invitations.

"You're welcome. And don't worry. Your place will look spectacular, and I won't spend much money getting it that way."

The next morning, Emma delivered the invitation to her teacher who looked at it and said, "This is very...pretty. Did your father write this?"

"No. My dad's handwriting is terrible," Emma told her with a smile. "But my Grandma's is beautiful."

"Please tell her 'thank you', okay?"

"I will, but the invitation is from my dad," Emma explained.

"Oh. Okay," her teacher said as the confusion lifted. "Should I open it now?"

"Uh-huh," Emma said, anxious to see her reaction.

"A house warming. How nice! That sounds lovely! Yes. I'd love to go."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really. Please let your father know I'll be there."

"I will. And that is so awesome!"

Karn reread the personal note at the bottom and tried not to laugh. Emma was correct. Rick's handwriting was...bad. Really bad. But the words were as good as the writing was bad.

"Karn. I'm very much looking forward to seeing you again—somewhere outside of the classroom. I hope you'll be able to join us. Just don't speed on the way over, okay? Rick."

As she got ready to welcome the rest of her incoming students, she couldn't help but wonder if this handsome, young police officer was flirting with her. The possibility that he was made her tummy flutter, but just as quickly she dismissed the whole thing because she knew that he knew how old she was.

No, this wasn't flirting. It couldn't be. It was just a well-mannered gentleman being nice to his daughter's teacher. And with that, she turned her focus to her class and got ready to start the day.

******

"Mom. This is...insane!" Rick said as he walked into to his newly spruced-up home.

Bonnie had been there since 8am, and the place looked fantastic.

"How did you not spend a lot of money to do all of this?" he asked as he looked around.

"A few pillows here, a colorful quilt or two there, some inexpensive staging items, a little paint, and...voile!"

"Wow. This is...incredible."

Bonnie thanked him then said, "Okay. I just have enough time to run home, get ready, then get back here before your guests start arriving. And I'll swing by the store and pick up the poo-poos."

Rick laughed at another word he'd learned along the way that his mom had starting using. This one wasn't from his father. It was something he'd heard while on active duty. Hors d'oeuvres and such were all just 'poo-poos' to Marines while snacks and junk food were called 'gee dunk'. He also chuckled when he recalled the word for a vehicle that sold such items—a 'roach coach'.

As if he wasn't surprised enough, when he turned around, Emma had quietly walked up behind him. She not only startled him, she surprised him.

"Look at you! Don't you look pretty!"

"Thanks, Daddy," she said with a smile. "Do you really like it?"

Her grandmother had bought Emma a dress for the start of the school year, but she hadn't worn it yet. She'd been saving it for a special occasion, and this was it.

"Yes. It's beautiful. And so are you."

"You need to get ready, too," his daughter informed him.

"Right. The uniform just doesn't fit with the occasion, does it?" he said with a laugh.

In her typical adult manner, Emma informed him, "It's always appropriate for a police officer, but you would look much nicer in a coat and tie."

"Coat and tie? Hold on there, missy."

Emma giggled then told her dad he could skip the tie.

"But not the jacket. And wear the camel-colored one, okay? With the blue shirt and the black pants."

"Camel colored. Is that brown?"

"Ugh! No, it's not brown," his daughter said. "Come on. I'll show you so you don't mess it up."

Rick knew which one she meant. He only had to sports coats, and one of them was black.

"Ah, okay. So this is what camels look like," he said very seriously when Emma pulled it off the rack.

"Daddy!" she protested, knowing he was teasing.

"Okay. Go on. Scoot! I gotta shower and change!"

Thirty minutes later, Rick walked out and asked his daughter what she thought.

She was all smiles even before he asked.

"Only that you are the most handsome dad in the whole wide world."

"You think Ms. Peterson will like it?" he asked, not sure if he should.

"Wait. You like my teacher?" a confused Emma asked. "What about Sophie's mom?"

"I'm sure Sophie's mother is a very nice lady, but I...I'm not really very interested in her," her dad said, a little wince at the end added to lessen the blow.

"Oh, okay. Like the movie. You know, 'he's just not that into you'."

All Rick could do was shake his head at the maturity of his daughter who was growing up so fast.

Before he could reply, Emma smiled then told him,"She'll definitely like it. Trust me, okay?"

"I do trust you," her dad replied before saying they should take one more look around to see if anything needed to be moved or adjusted.

Before they finished, Bonnie came screaming in with just five minutes to spare causing Rick to ask if she'd been speeding.

"Maybe just a little," she admitted. "But I know a police officer, so...."

Rick laughed then helped her set out the hors d'oeuvres while Emma set out the three bottles of wine Rick had picked up on the way home the day before.

"Oh, my. I see a car," Bonnie said as she removed the plastic from a plate of deviled eggs.

"No way. It's Captain Brunell," a very surprised Rick Gates said as he headed to the door to meet his boss's boss's boss.

"Captain. Nice to see you, sir," Rick said as he shook the older man's hand.

"Rick. Good to see you, too," he replied as he handed his newest officer another bottle of wine.

"Thank you, and come in. Please. Let me introduce you to my mother and daughter."

The distinguished looking man of around 55 stepped inside and found two ladies standing there waiting to say hello.

"Sir? This is my beautiful daughter, Emma, and this beautiful lady is my mother, Bonnie Gates."

"Emma. You are indeed a beautiful young lady," the man with the gray around his temples said.

"Thank you," Emma told him as he looked at her grandmother.

"As are you, Mrs. Gates," he said with a smile.

"Bonnie. Please," the surprised and flattered grandmother said.

"Okay. And I'm John. Brunell."

Rick watched as his mom's face lit up when she offered her hand.

"I had no idea a woman as young as you could have a son Rick's age," the captain said with a smile.

"Oh, he's good," Bonnie said to her son as she smiled at the handsome, older man.

There was a knock at the door, and with that, Captain Brunell stepped aside, and Bonnie asked if he'd like a drink or something to eat.

"Yes, please. That'd be great," he said as he followed her to the kitchen.

Emma opened the door and there was Sophie holding a beautifully-wrapped gift, her mother right behind her.

Sophie passed off the present to her mom, said hello to Emma's dad, then ran off with her friend to her bedroom.

"Hi," Rick said, unable to recall the woman's name.

She smiled then said, "Hi, Rick. I'm Grace. We met at the open house. Remember?"

"Yes. Of course I remember," he replied, knowing that he did remember having met her.

"Please come in. I'd like you to meet my mom."

"And it's only our first date!" Grace bubbled as she handed him the gift.

Rick thanked her then led her to where the others were congregating, and after a quick round of introductions, there was another knock. Rick walked to the door, and peeked thought the peephole and when he saw who it was, he had a rush of emotion he hadn't felt in a very long time.

"Karn. Hi. It's nice to see you," he told her as she stepped inside.

"Good evening, Rick. You, too," she said as she offered yet another bottle of wine.

"You didn't need to bring anything."

"I know, but showing up empty-handed seems so...tacky," she replied with a smile that caused another flurry of the same kind of emotion.

"Well, thank you, and I gotta say, you look amazing. Again."

Karn laughed politely, thanked him, and told him he looked quite nice himself.

"I have a secret to confess," he said with a smile. "Emma chose my wardrobe."

Karn laughed again and assured him his daughter had very good taste.

He brought her to the kitchen, too, where Bonnie recognized her and hugged her before welcoming her while thanking her for being so good to her granddaughter.

Bonnie, on the other hand, gave her a much cooler reception saying only, "It's nice to see you again, Ms. Peterson."

"Uh-oh," Rick said when he saw Norm coming up the steps. "Will you excuse me?"

He stepped through the small group of guests and made his way to the door just as Norm knocked.

"Norm! Come on in."

"How long's this thing gonna last?" his partner asked without even saying hello and nothing in his thick hands.

"As long as you'd like," Rick cheerfully replied.

"Don't tell me that, or I'm gone," the cynical, older man said as he looked around.

He saw Grace first then Karn and said to Rick, "Then again. Maybe I could be talked into staying a little while."

Rick understood, laughed politely, then told his partner who they were.

"Your kid's teacher is hot as hell!" Norm said as he leaned closer before slapping his younger partner on the back. "Introduce me."

Rick did just that, and within ten minutes another five people showed up which was more than enough for the house warming Rick never planned to have.

He made sure to mingle, but he was trying his best to find a way to get some one-on-one time with Karn who was, with one notable exception, everyone's favorite guest.

Just as he saw his opportunity, Grace slid in front of him and said, "I was hoping to have a chance to chat with you, Rick."

Her smile was as bright as her eyes, and Rick did his best to be just as friendly back.

"Oh. Well, this seems like a pretty good time to do that," he told her as he glanced Karn's way. Norm had her trapped, and Rick desperately wanted to rescue her, but he couldn't break away without being rude.

"Your house looks amazing," Grace told him.

"That's all thanks to my mom," he modestly replied.

"She did a fantastic job!"

"She's pretty amazing."

"I uh, I think you're pretty amazing, Rick," Grace said, that big smile now even bigger.

"Oh, gosh. Um...thank you. That's very kind."

"I have to admit I've thought about you a lot since we first met. And I was really hoping we might be able to maybe...spend some time together one of these days."

"Oh. Well, I uh, we...Emma would um....love to have Sophie come over sometime soon."

"Perfect! That'll give us a chance to get better acquainted!" Grace said as though he'd just invited her, too. "Listen, I know I'm a...little bit older than you...but I don't think adults should let something so insignificant get in the way. Don't you agree?"

Feeling even more trapped, Rick had no idea how to respond or even tell her the invitation was for one, when Norm called him over.

"Grace? Would you excuse me, please? My partner is summoning me."

Grace laughed as though that was the funniest thing she'd ever heard.

"Sure! You go right ahead. No need to keep the boss waiting, right?"

The thought of Norm being his boss turned his stomach, and yet, in one sense anyway, he kind of was. He made his way over to where Karn was still graciously enduring Norm's dissertation on trout farming.

"What's up?"

"Did you know this beautiful young lady is a trout fisherman?"

Before Rick could reply, Norm tapped Rick's stomach with the back of his hand and said, "Make that fisher...woman."

Karn dutifully laughed and told Rick that was true.

"At least I used to be. Back when I was married."

She said it in a way that didn't tell Rick anything about her previous marriage or how it ended, but he was now very interested in learning more about it—and her.

"I offered to take her, but she's evidently a very busy lady," Norm said, this time elbowing his partner.

"Oh, right. Yeah, teachers don't just teach. They have papers to grade, lessons to plan, parents to meet with, and a lot of other things we don't see."

"It can't be that hard, can it?" Norm quipped loud enough for Karn to here. "I mean, they work what? Maybe a 180 days a year? Hell, I'd love to have a job like that!"

Rick knew he had to act, so he looked at Karn and said, "Karn? I was wondering if I could maybe show you around."

There wasn't all that much to see, but the relief on her face said it all.

"Yes, of course. I would love that!" she told him as she let Norm know what a pleasure it was talking to him.

"You okay?" Rick asked when they were far enough away that hi partner couldn't hear.

She laughed quietly then said, "He's a very nice man."

Rick was surprised by her comment but pleasantly so.

"Yes. Yes, he is," he agreed.

"And you have a very nice home," Karn said as she looked around.

Rick explained who'd done all the work, and Karn laughed again.

The 'tour' was over in less than three minutes, and when it ended, Rick realized his mouth was suddenly very dry.

"Would you care for some wine?" he asked.

"I'd love a glass," she replied with that amazing smile. "But just a little. Gotta drive home, and a DUI would put my speeding tickets to shame. And me in jail."

Now Rick laughed and promised he wouldn't try and get her drunk. Her genuine laugh caused another surge of something pleasant, and he promised he'd be right back. He poured two glasses, and when he turned around, Grace was right there again, that smile still on her face.

"Is that for me?" she asked with an outstretched hand.

He looked at Karn who nodded and smiled understandingly as the look on his face, as well as Grace's presence, said it all.

"I uh, I believe it is," Rick said as he handed it to her.

"Cheers?" Grace offered, unaware that Rick's mind—and eyes—were elsewhere.

To his great relief, Emma came out of her room a minute or so later, and she and Sophie latched onto their teacher who was clearly happy to see them both as Rick once again plotted his exit strategy. But thinking and doing proved to be two very different things as Grace was proving to be a formidable challenge.

Just as he was ready to force his way out, Karn came over, excused herself then said, "I'm sorry, but I really need to be going. I just wanted to thank you for inviting me and tell you again you have a very lovely home."

"Oh. I...that's...."

"It was so nice seeing you again, Ms. Peterson," Grace said without really looking at the more attractive woman.

Karn told her 'goodbye' then smiled at Rick who had feelings of desperation welling up inside of him.

"Now that I finally have your undivided attention," Grace said as Karn walked away.

"Right," Rick replied, never taking his eyes off of Emma's teacher or her amazing figure underneath the pretty-but-modest dress she'd worn.

"So when would be a good time for us to get together?"

Rick didn't hear a single word. He set his glass down, gently touched Grace's forearm, then, without looking at her, said, "Would you please excuse me for a moment?"

Unsure what was going on, Grace mumbled, "Okay," before looking to see what had his attention. When she saw Sophie's teacher walking down the front porch steps, she bristled.

Rick quickly made his way to the front door then opened it, stepped outside and called out, "Karn?"

The older woman stopped, turned around, smiled and said, "Did I forget something?" as she looked at the purse slung over her forearm.

"No. I...I just wanted to um...talk with you. If you have a moment."

He quickly closed the distance between them and was now right in front of her as she said, "Of course. Anytime."

"I uh, I wanted to thank you for coming," Rick blurted out.

Karn managed not to laugh as she said, "Well, I believe you already did that, but I must say it was my pleasure."

"Right. I...I suppose I did, huh?" Rick said as he looked down briefly before looking back up at her. He was a good four inches taller than her even in the kitten heels she was wearing, but he still felt like he was out of sorts.

"Did you want to ask me something about Emma or school?"

"Emma? No. I...I was just wondering if you'd...I mean, I've been meaning to ask you, if, um...."

"Rick? Are you okay?" Karn asked as he stammered away.

"Yes. No. I mean, I'm okay. I'm just not sure how to do this."

"Why don't you start with telling what it is you're trying to do?" she politely suggested with another beautiful smile.

"This used to be so easy," he said without explaining what 'this' was.

"This?" Karn asked.

Rick finally steadied himself and said, "I haven't asked a woman out in...."

He was trying to count up the years when Karn smiled and before he could finish said, "If you're asking me out, I'd say 'yes'."

"Really?" a happy, surprised police officer replied.

"Yes. Unless it's to go trout fishing. I did do that with my ex-husband, but I never liked it. In fact, I didn't enjoy it all. I just couldn't find any other common ground with Norm, and I sort of blurted that out without thinking. I mean, I really have gone trout fishing a few times, it's just not something I'd ever do again of my own free will."

Rick laughed nervously and promised he had no intention of asking her to go fishing with him.

"I don't even know when fishing season is in Illinois, so you can relax."

Karn laughed and smiled and then thanked him for that.

"The uh, the truth is, I haven't had time to think of where to ask you to go. It's not that I haven't thought about it—and you—a lot...it's just that...."

Karn laughed politely, smiled, then said, "It's okay. I understand."

"Oh. Good. Because I'm not sure I do. It really has been many years since I've done this."

He looked down again for a second then told her as succinctly as he could what Emma's mother had done.

"Emma's only mentioned her mother once, and when she did, she seemed so sad. I didn't ask why, but I'm glad you told me, because now I understand and can use that to help me help her."

"It was pretty awful. Especially for Emma."

"My husband did something very similar to me. It just happened to involve a woman half my age."

Rick stared at her beautiful face for a moment then said, "He's a fool."

Karn got serious and said, "I still can't understand it. I've accepted it and moved on, but I'll probably never fully get why he left. Then again, I don't really care anymore."

"I'm sorry that happened to you. You certainly don't deserve it."