It's About Family

Story Info
Will Robert get a second chance at love, and family?
11.7k words
4.5
9.4k
14
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Egregious
Egregious
156 Followers

It's about family - Will Robert get a second chance at love, and family?

Editor: Melissa assisted as content editor, and suggestions she made, have been for the betterment of the story. All other errors are mine.

Disclaimer: All characters involved in sexual situations are 18 or older. Copyright and work of fiction.

***********************************************

Robert and his wife Linda had been married two years, having met eighteen months previously at University. They were very much in love and considered the perfect couple by many of their close friends. Both being only children, they wanted a large family with three or four children. They each had well-paying careers and owned a two-bedroom apartment when they decided to start their family.

However, after six months of trying to get pregnant without success, they visited their local doctor, who referred them to a fertility specialist.

A month to the day of their initial visit, Robert and Linda held hands while they sat and waited apprehensively in the consultation room, with its pale beige walls adorned with framed medical degrees and uncomfortable seats, for the doctor's imminent arrival.

Finally, Dr. Michaels entered, settled into the opposite chair, and gave them a tight smile.

"Linda. Robert. Thank you both for coming in. As you know, we have run multiple fertility tests on both of you. I'm sorry to tell you this. I know how much you both wanted children."

Linda interrupted the doctor with a low, wounded, hiccupping sound. "Oh God, is it me? I'm the one."

If anything, Dr. Michael's gaze seemed to soften even more. "No, Linda." The doctor's gaze flickered over to Robert. "In this case, it's Robert. We ran multiple tests on Robert's samples, but our findings were conclusive. Robert's sperm is completely dead.

It's a rare condition called Necrospermia. Basically, Robert's body is producing abnormal blood proteins called anti-sperm antibodies..."

The doctor droned on, but Robert had tuned him out, deep in thought, until the doctor's final words.

"...Unfortunately, Robert's sperm is completely dead."

Linda let out a sob as their dreams of a big family with lots of children died in that room.

Dr. Michaels stood up; Robert followed, and they shook hands. Robert reached for Linda's hand, and they followed the Doctor to the reception area. Doctor Michaels said, "The nurse at the front desk will have your paperwork. Once again, I'm sorry."

The Doctor turned and entered the waiting room, nodded to another couple who then rose and followed him into his room, closing the door behind him.

On the drive home, Robert quietly said, "We can still adopt," but he already knew the answer. When we first started going through the fertility tests, they had discussed the option of adoption.

"No. I wanted your children. Our children." She sucked in a shuddering breath, getting her emotions under control. "I love you, Robert. And if Fate has decided this for us, then I'm okay with it." She turned to look out of the car window with tears running down her cheeks.

Another three months went by, and the tension at home was building. While sitting at the dinner table, Robert suggested they divorce. "Linda, you're under thirty, beautiful, intelligent, and attractive. You should have no problems finding another partner to love and have children with."

Linda angrily replied, "No...I love you. We are meant to be together forever. Don't mention it again." She stomped off to the bedroom and slammed the door.

Robert could tell they were growing apart month by month, and their once-happy home was anything but. They rarely had sex. He felt the situation would only worsen as time progressed until they hated each other. With a heavy heart, Robert reluctantly decided the best course of action and made plans.

Linda arrived home from work at her usual time of the evening. After entering, she called out, "I'm home, honey." Not getting a reply, she headed for the master bedroom to change clothes; as she approached the partially closed door, she heard a moaning noise emanating from the room. Thinking maybe Robert was unwell, she opened the door to find Robert naked and in a sexual embrace with an equally naked blonde woman.

Linda went bat raving mad, screaming and yelling for the two of them to leave and Robert not to return. Once they departed, still enraged, Linda threw all Robert's clothes into the apartment hallway. What she didn't notice in her anger was most of Robert's clothes, shoes, and the like were older and now rarely worn. She fell to her knees behind the closed door, weeping for what they lost.

A month later, Robert was served with divorce papers and signed them immediately before returning them to the law office. He knew Linda would divorce him. Linda's father cheated on her mother. Linda hated cheaters; they destroyed her happy family.

Robert immediately tendered his resignation to forestall any chance of reconciliation or counseling. He followed the lead of an older University friend, Ian, who had taken up a consulting position in Ireland three years previously. Robert decided to do likewise and took an engineering consulting job in Sydney, Australia, for two years.

Nine months later, they were officially divorced. Along the way, Robert met many beautiful Aussie women. He wined and dined them, but couldn't find one he clicked with. Linda was always in his thoughts.

When Robert returned to the United States, he first visited his mother, catching up on the last two years, and started looking for a job. He reconnected with Ian and discovered while consulting in Ireland Ian had met a red-haired Irish lass by the name of Aisling. She was three years his junior. They married just before Ian returned to the States and were expecting twin daughters. Ian offered Robert a thirty percent share in his newly formed Civil Engineering consulting company based in Montgomery, Alabama, where Robert used to live with Linda. Thus, Robert became Ian's business partner.

Two years on, the business was doing well. The company had more clients than it could manage. However, Robert was still alone and missed permanent female companionship. He wanted more than a one-night stand.

***

One Saturday evening, Robert exited the parking lot to meet with colleagues and friends to celebrate his twenty-eighth birthday. He noticed his ex-wife Linda walking towards him. Her arm was linked to a tall, moderately handsome man pushing a toddler in a stroller. Not wanting to run into her, Robert ducked into a nearby shop and waited for Linda to pass.

When the coast was clear, Robert approached the exit, only for the door to burst open. Two boys zoomed in and headed for the back of the toy shop. He grabbed the door before it could hit the stop and shatter the glass. Peeking out the doorway, he saw a pregnant woman hurrying down the sidewalk.

Holding the door open for her, he said, "They went that way." The woman stumbled on the short stairs as she entered and Robert automatically held out his arm, which she grasped to keep from falling forward. At that moment, Robert felt an emotional charge surge through his body with a strong attraction to her beauty.

"Thank...you," came her out-of-breath voice, acknowledging his assistance.

"Allow me to help you to a chair," replied Robert, to give her a moment to control her breathing.

Seated, the mother said, "I'm sorry for my two wayward boys. Sometimes, they have one-track minds."

Sniggering, Robert said, "I was a boy once myself. I'll go and keep an eye on them before they get into mischief. You take it easy getting up, okay?"

Robert located them at the matchbox cars, trying to decide which they should pick. They were mid argument; with the older one declaring, "I think the blue one looks better."

"No, I like the red, it's faster," said the younger one, declaring with all the certainty of youth. Turning big blue eyes on his brother, he added, "Anyway, Mom said we can only have one, and it's my turn."

Robert couched to join the conversation, saying, "I used to collect Matchbox cars when your age."

The older boy eyed Robert warily before his curiosity won out. "Do you still have them?"

"Yes, they are stored in the attic at my family home," replied Robert. "So, tell me what your names are?" Robert asked.

The older boy's wary expression was back and he stepped slightly in front of his younger sibling. "Mom says not to talk to strangers.

Robert nodded. "You are right. I spoke with your mom at the front door and told her I'd check on you guys. I'm Robert." He offered his hand and both boys then shook his hand firmly.

Finally relaxing a little, the older boy responded, "I'm Peter, and this is my younger brother Paul."

Paul, not to be left out, said, "I'm five."

Then Peter proudly said, "And I'm nearly seven."

Peter suddenly became alert, looking around, realizing their mother wasn't with them. "Paul...we've lost Mom, we gotta find her!"

"I helped your mother to a seat at the front of the store," Robert tells Peter. "She's resting, and I'm sure she will be here shortly."

Scolding himself, "It was my job as the eldest to watch out for her," Peter said with a scowl that looked out of place on his young face. "She is pregnant, you know?"

Sensing an odd family dynamic, Robert asked, "Peter, where is your father?"

Peter quietly responded, "Dad died in the sandbox."

Taken aback by Peter's statement, Robert lightly touched Peter's shoulder and softly replied, "I'm sorry for your loss." Robert's heart went out to them, their mother, and their small family.

The boy's mother finally arrived and admonished them, "If you two run off again like that, there will be no cars for either of you."

"Yes Mom," they said in unison.

Thinking quickly, Robert grabbed a pink toy pony and said, "I have to buy a present for my niece and would be happy to purchase both cars for the boys as my birthday treat."

The boy's mother quickly said, "No." But, seeing an opening, the boys pleaded, "Aaw, Mom."

"Hold on, I thought you were a shop assistant?" Stephanie said.

"No, I just came in to purchase this," Robert replied while holding up the toy.

Peter said, "Mom, Robert told us when he was a boy, he also used to collect Matchbox cars."

Noticing their mother's indecision, Robert went to the cash register and handed over his credit card. The deal was done. At the dark look Robert got from the boy's mother, he tried to ease the mood. "Well, today is my birthday after all, surely you don't begrudge me sharing my happy day with Peter and Paul?"

As Robert handed over the toy boxes, the boys responded, "Thank you, Robert."

"You are most welcome, boys."

"Okay, Peter, Paul, you managed to get what you want, now out of the shop," said Stephanie firmly.

They all exited the shop, and the boys took off towards home. Peter shouted, "It's only a few blocks, Mom!" Their mother quickly called them back, and they returned to her side without too much grumbling.

"Hi, I'm Robert." He held out his hand. While shaking his hand, the boys' mother replied, "I'm Stephanie."

Robert asked, "So, Stephanie, where is your car parked?"

"It's broken. We walked," replied Stephanie.

"Okay, so how far is it from here to your place, Stephanie?"

"Five blocks." she responded sourly.

Surprised at the distance, Robert said, "I'll drive you and the boys home. My car is only parked a short distance away."

Stephanie shook her head vehemently, saying, "You could be an Axe murder for all I know!"

"Stephanie, it's now five in the evening, and it is getting too late to walk," replied Robert.

Robert then offered his driver's license and suggested, "Call a friend, give them my details from my license as proof of my identity."

"I don't have a cell phone. Paul dropped it, and it stopped working."

Robert offered his phone, and Stephanie agreed, entering her boss Jim's cell phone number.

"Hello?" said Jim.

"Hi Jim, it's Stephanie; I'm in a bind. The boys and I are at Andrew's Toy store, and it's getting late. We have been offered a ride home by a man the boys met in the shop. He suggested I call a friend and give his driver's license details as proof of his identity. Would that be alright with you?"

"Stephanie, I would come and get you myself, except my in-laws are here. So yes, that's a good idea. Also, text me a photo of his license. When you get home, text me you are safe," responded Jim.

"Okay, thank you, Jim," Stephanie said before ending the call.

Stephanie did as Jim suggested, while they waited for Robert to retrieve his car. Robert pulled up to the curb outside the shop minutes later. Stephanie handed Robert his phone, saying, "I called my boss, Jim, and he's got all your details."

"Okay, I'll call my friend Ian and tell him I will be late." Robert took the phone, then called Ian and explained he was helping a pregnant woman and her two sons in a predicament and would be late for the get-together. He promised to tell Ian all the details later.

With everyone nestled into the small Honda C-RV and the boy's seat belts locked in place, they headed off. Stephanie gave Robert directions.

Robert noticed a pizza shop on their way, pulled in, and said to Stephanie, "As I told you, today is my twenty-eighth birthday. Would you be willing to share your family with me and help me celebrate? The only family I have is two states away." Not getting an immediate outright No, Robert called out, "Who would like pizza for dinner?" Cheers came from the rear seat.

Stephanie protested that he was using the boys against her, but had second thoughts, as she commented they were probably all tired of Macaroni and cheese.

She said, "All right, go ahead, just this once."

Stephanie, Robert, Peter, and Paul entered the pizzeria. After some discussion, they settled on three large pizzas and sodas. Robert noticed an ice cream cake in the freezer and added that to the list for dessert. While they waited, the boys played with their matchbox cars.

Stephanie said, "Well, Robert, tell me about yourself before I allow you into my home."

"I'm an only child; my father passed away while I was in senior high school. My mother still lives in our family home in Oklahoma. I left home for University here in Alabama to become a civil engineer and married a girl I met at college. Unfortunately, it was discovered I couldn't have children, and that's all my wife ever wanted, so we divorced four years ago. I worked in Australia for two years, which helped me get over the heartache. Returning to the US, I reconnected with a fellow university colleague, and together we established a Civil Engineering Company."

After a pause, Robert asked, "What about you, Stephanie?"

"Jeff, my husband, was my high school sweetheart. He was one year older and had graduated top of his year in high school. As long as I had known him, Jeff wanted to become a helicopter pilot and so he signed up for a ten-year commitment and was posted to Army Flight School at Fort Novosel."

"That's a long term commitment," Robert interjected.

Getting a sharp look from Stephanie for interrupting her. She continued.

"Well yes! I was not happy he didn't consult with me first. When he told his parents that's when the arguments started. Jeff's father expected him to take on the family business. My parents refused to grant me permission to marry Jeff. Hearing that I was pregnant sparked a storm of angry words and accusations. So we ran away, married, and moved into a house on the Army base, some six hundred miles from our hometown."

"So you followed Jeff's dream of becoming a pilot," commented Robert.

"Yes, why wouldn't I? I loved him and wanted us to be together and make a family. The birth of our two sons quickly followed. At the same time, Jeff undertook Basic combat training followed by an Army Officer Candidate School and training as a helicopter Aviation Warrant Officer, which all took three years. Then, Jeff was called to serve in Afghanistan. Two years later, he returned home, commissioned as a lieutenant, and this baby was conceived," she said while rubbing her stomach. "Jeff was offered a second deployment, which he had already accepted."

"That was a bit unfair to you and the boys." Robert mumbled.

"Stop interjecting, I'm telling the story. Now where was I? Oh yes. Three weeks of Jeff's month-long furlough were spent at a Seaside Resort. He regaled the boys with bedtime stories of near misses as his helicopter skimmed over the barren hilly landscape of the 'Sandbox,' as he called Afghanistan. He told them of his adventures and the challenge of safely ferrying fellow soldiers to and from missions like Ironman."

Stephanie paused to take a breath, and then with a hiccup whispered, "Barely three months into his second tour, the helicopter he was piloting was shot down over the Helmand Desert with no survivors. I packed up, started driving, the car broke down outside of Montgomery, and we ended up here."

Robert reached out and squeezed Stephanie's hand. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank You."

Stephanie was interrupted when their order was called out. Exiting the pizza shop with dinner, Robert drove towards Stephanie's small two-room apartment. On the way, as the car passed by, Stephanie pointed out through the window. "That's Jim's Bakery; he allows me to bring the boys to work at six. I walk the boys to the local elementary school during my morning break. I finish work at three when the boys return from school."

Unfortunately, the building's elevator, where Stephanie lived, was broken again, so they all had to climb the two flights of stairs to the apartment. Upon entry, Stephanie reminded the boys to wash their hands, and Robert followed. Stephanie used Robert's cell phone to text Jim, letting him know she had arrived home safely and Robert was staying for dinner.

After consuming their meal, the boys showered and headed off to bed. Paul asked, "Robert, can you read to us a story?" Looking to Stephanie for approval, she nodded. Peter offered a well-worn Ironman comic, a story it appeared the boys knew by heart. While reading, Robert noticed a photo in a glass frame of much younger boys with a man in an Army uniform and assumed it was the boys' father.

Returning to the small lounge placed half in the kitchen, he found a weary Stephanie rubbing her swollen feet. Robert dropped to his knees and massaged her feet until she fell asleep. Covering her with a small blanket, he let himself out, locking the door behind him.

***

On the drive home, Robert thought about how impressed he was with how well both boys behaved. They didn't complain and were a credit to Stephanie. They were two great-looking kids that any father would be proud of to have as sons.

Mid-week, Robert found himself in the Bakery where Stephanie worked. Robert asked for Jim. "Hi Jim, I'm Robert. Pleased to meet you," he said as they shook hands. "Stephanie said she worked here?"

Jim immediately recognized Robert's name, saying, "Thank you, Robert, for assisting Stephanie and the boys to their home the other evening."

"The pleasure was all mine. Is Stephanie in by any chance?" Robert asked.

"Stephanie," called out Jim. When she arrived, Jim said, "Take a lunch break with Robert."

Looking slightly annoyed, Stephanie directed Robert to a nearby park, where they sat on a bench seat with some sandwiches and coffee from the bakery.

Taking the offered sandwich from Stephanie, Robert said, "Thank you. I have purchased a cell phone for you in case of emergencies. It's registered to my mobile carrier account and costs me next to nothing. I have programmed in Jim's and my cell numbers in case of emergencies. When contractions begin feel free to call me day or night, I'm happy to take you to hospital. If not, you can now call a cab."

Egregious
Egregious
156 Followers