Jack and Diane Ch. 19-21

Story Info
The story of Jack and Diane comes to an end.
7.3k words
4.46
81.4k
32

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 10/16/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack and Diane Chapter 19.

So. One door had closed. I needed a period of reassessment. I no longer had the threat of a prosecution hanging over me. That actually came as a surprise. Up until that moment, it hadn't occurred to me that I could have been taken to court. That rocked me for a moment. But it was over. I needed to take stock.

The first thing I realised was that I was still simply responding to events. I had been so busy juggling everything that I had just gone with the flow. There were some things I needed to take in hand, and one I had to stop taking in hand.

As they say, when one door closes, another opens. Closing that door allowed me to open one. I was now in the position to buy the house off Diane. She wanted one hundred and fifty five thousand, so I thought I would give her what she asked. It would close the deal quickly, but more importantly give her the money she needed to buy the share of the boutique. That would keep her busy and out of my hair. From what Harry was suggesting, that would also put a little more pressure on the relationship between her and Peter.

Thinking of Diane and relationships made me think of the children. We still had social services hanging over us. Zoe my have wound down the inspections, but the whole idea still rankled with me. I would have to speak to Milla about that one too.

Next was the gym. I needed to check with the agency about the management positions. I wanted them filled as soon as possible. In particular I wanted at least one filled so I could get on with advertising, processing memberships and general administration. That should introduce a little more stress into paradise.

My job was also on the agenda. Whilst I hadn't dropped anything, I hadn't been giving one hundred percent, what with so many office call with Camilla and the police. I had made as many as possible while I was on site calls and late afternoons. But not all. No-one was rattling my cage, mainly because I had put the hours in on the preparation and had my crew well on-side. I had to be seen clock punching.

Finally, I had been so busy with all the above and my domestic duties, my social life had been severely curtailed. Golf did not count. It was time I got on the circuit.

*****

Monday was very busy. Two projects had moved into the installation phase, and I had to brief the team on all the systems testing to be done. Additionally, a subcontractor ripped up a geothermal installation on a private residential project we had running. Since it was intended to be a showpiece for expansion into that market, I was called to a site meeting after lunch. As usual every man and his dog turned up. While everyone was getting their two penn'oth in, I took the manufacturers rep to the side.

"Tell me about it?"

"Clear back about six feet either side of the damage, and joint in new pipe."

"Is it a big job?"

"About two minutes per joint. You'll spend more time clearing the top covering, simply because you don't want to damage more pipe. Take the top of with a digger and then the last bit by hand. We designed it with this in mind."

"When can you get a jointer onto it?"

If you have everything cleared back this afternoon, I'll have him here at eight in the morning. Then as long as it takes you to backfill. I should be re-instated by lunchtime. It's really not a big deal."

"OK, I'll get the foreman onto it." Which I did.

We returned to the group, and the Ivan, project manager button-holed me. "Right Jack this falls into your perview. How do we get round it and how long is it going to set us back."

"I've spoken to Bill, the manufacturers engineer. We clear back. He'll have a jointer here tomorrow morning, and we should have it backfilled by lunchtime."

Ivan looked at Bill. "Jack has his boys on it now. This part of the system is really no different from a mains water supply."

Ivan looked nonplussed. "Right, excellent, well, thanks everyone for attending. I think we've resolved everything."

Bill and I headed back to the cars. "That can be put in pretty much anywhere can't it?" I asked.

Yes, if you have enough ground to extract heat from. The only technical bit is the heat transfer. It's a piece of piss really."

"I might just be contacting you about a couple of installations."

"For yourself?"

"Yes."

"The price will be right, especially if we can use it in promo literature."

"But of course."

There was no way I would get back to the office before five so I phoned my P.A. and let her know everything was sorted and I would see her in the morning. Then I called in with Milla.

*****

"I hope I'm not interrupting?"

"Not at all. What can I do for you?"

"A couple of things. Once the money comes through from the police I'm going to buy the house from Diane. I'll phone her tonight to agree the price. Can you get the conveyencing sorted out?"

"No problem, I would imagine she'll use Alan. What else?"

"Can we get the social services off my back?"

"That shouldn't be too much of a problem, now the police have dropped the charges. It would help if they charged Diane with false reporting, but I doubt you want to put in a complaint?"

"No I just want the whole thing over and done with."

"I'll get hold of Sam Willis, the inspector, and see what is happening. It might take a day or two depending on his shifts."

"Fine. It's about time I kick started the rest of my life so how about a night on the town?"

"Sounds good to me, how about David?"

"Of course. The more the merrier."

"I hope you are not reverting to your youth. I don't think I could keep up with your antics again."

"No, I'm built for comfort, not speed now."

"Right, just let me know where and when."

I went home, made supper, got school work done, settled the horses and the kids to bed, before phoning Diane.

"Hello, Diane, it's Jack."

"Are the children OK?" she asked anxiously.

That makes a change, I thought. "Yes they are fine. I'm phoning about the house. Have you heard from the insurers?"

"I was on with them most of the morning. I don't think they are going to budge."

"Are you still prepared to sell it as it is?"

"I don't see I have much option. I need to get it moving or I'll miss the chance for the boutique."

"Well if you are happy enough, I'll take it, if the price is right."

"I can't let it go for less than a hundred and fifty five."

"I think I can do that, but it might be a month before I can complete."

"That would be OK. I need to let Lavinia know as soon as possible so she doesn't go to the market."

"Suits me. I'll let Milla know. Will you be using Alan?"

"Yes"

"Right, get him to phone Milla and we'll get it moving."

"I will. And, Jack? Thank you. I made the biggest mistake of my life when I lost you."

You didn't lose me bitch, you dumped all over me and our children, I thought, but my words didn't reflect that. "It's past Diane. We need to move on. For ourselves, as much as for Harry and Georgie."

"I know. You've done as much as anyone could to ease things through. I don't think anyone could have been as magnanimous in the circumstances."

"We couldn't let the children down any more than we already had." Again my thoughts were very different. I wasn't finished with Diane and Peter yet.

"You didn't let them down. I did. But I appreciate you not rubbing my face in it. Goodnight, Jack. I really am sorry for everything."

"So am I Diane, Goodnight."

Despondently, I hung up the phone. I started soul searching again. I just could not find anything that I had done wrong. I could only think that Diane was not who I thought she was. I was forced to ask if she had ever loved me, or was I just a means to an end for her. More and more I was forced to think she was one hell of an actress. And that hurt more than anything. I tidied up before retiring. That night was possibly the worst night's sleep I'd ever had.

*****

It was Thursday before I heard from Milla.

"Jack, I've heard from Alex and from Alan. The money from the settlement will be in my account tomorrow week. If you could deposit the difference with me to clear by then, we can close the house purchase the same day."

"No problem. Give me the account details and I get it transferred." She did so.

"Next thing, I spoke the police. Sam Willis has spoken to Zoe Aristedes and told her there is no case for you to answer. He is sending her the paperwork. As soon as she gets it they will close your file. Sam is dealing with it himself and will deliver it by hand tomorrow. You should here from social services eventually."

"Heaven knows when that will be."

"I think it will be sooner rather than later. Zoe wants it off her plate as soon as possible."

"Good. So how about next Friday for our night on the town?"

"Sounds good. I'll let David know. Is it OK if Simon is there?"

"Of course it is, as long as you can handle it?"

"I'm a big girl, Jack. We've been together for a long time. We were comfortable together. It's hard to close a chapter of your life and face the unknown."

"You have lots of friends to support you Milly. I'm always here."

"Oh Jack, I'm sorry. That was thoughtless of me."

"No, you were there for me. I'll always be here for you too."

"I know. I love you for that."

"Right, before we both get maudlin, I'd better get back to work."

"Me too. Let me know where we are going."

"I will. Bye."

No sooner was I off the phone than the recruiting agency phoned to ask if I could call with them on Saturday to interview prospective candidates. Since I wanted tat moving too I naturally said yes. I was to be there at nine thirty.

Harry and Georgie were spending the weekend with me, so I arranged for my Mum to sit with them. I turned up at the offices of the agency at half nine and the recruiter discussed the candidates with me and the sorts of questions I was allowed to ask. Employment legislation prevented me asking about things like the possibility of pregnancy, as this could be construed as discrimination. I was left with a script of questions on qualifications that were already answered in their applications and a couple to allow them to tell me why they thought they were suitable for the job. I was not allowed to ask supplementals to anything that fell out from that, and I had to ask all candidates the same questions. There was no way to get to know any personal details to see how they would fit in with other people. No wonder business was having trouble getting the right people. It occurred to me that I should have had a chat with our HR people before hand.

I was given the applications to read through before the candidates were shown in, and two stood out immediately. Jenny Henshaw, and Zoe Aristedes. Henshaw is not that common a surname, and there couldn't be two Zoe Aristedes in town. That might just make those interviews a little difficult.

Jack and Diane Chapter 20.

I had four people to interview before I got to Zoe. When she walked through the door she was rather surprised to find me as the interviewer. I had discovered from her application that she had a Degree in Social science but with credits in business administration. I went through the script and her answers were pretty much the same as the previous applicants until I got to the last two questions.

"Why do you think you will be suited to this job?"

"I have an extensive knowledge of management systems and personnel management in difficult situations. Additionally I have wide experience of dealing with the public face to face. I will be able to create rotas to ensure coverage throughout your opening hours and deal with staff and clients in a professional and diplomatic manner.

"Have you any additional information you would like to give me in support of your application?"

"Well, as you know I am currently working for social services. I am looking for a new opportunity with potential to develop. I think this venture could be the first of a chain of women's gyms in the area and I would like the chance to be in at the start of the project. That, and I want to get out from below the dead hand of local government."

"Well thank you for coming today Ms Aristedes. I'm sure we'll be in touch.

The next interviewee was Jenny Henshaw. Her C.V. revealed a number of jobs in general management posts around various places that just happened to coincide with naval bases. Although she did not have a degree, she had various certificates and diplomas in computer skills and business studies. They also seemed to be from colleges in the same places. I theorised that she had taken them to fill her time while Jimmy was at sea. I also noted that she had three children, all at secondary school.

The interview was pretty much a carbon copy of the preceeding one, again until the last two questions.

"Why do you think you will be suited to this job?"

"I am able to provide flexibility in working hours both in the evenings and weekends. I have a lot of experience of dealing with the public, and I am familiar with a number of computer applications."

"Have you any additional information you would like to give me in support of your application?"

"I will not be adding to my family." She looked directly at me as she said it.

I had one more interview after that, and then I discussed the applicants with the recruiter from the agency. We concluded that of the seven, only three really came up to the mark. They were Zoe, Jenny, and a woman called Sandra Fitzpatrick. That left me one person short, but I thought with the three I could get the systems up and running and continue the search for a fourth person. We agreed that the job offers would go out on Monday.

*****

I phoned Jimmy Henshaw.

"Jimmy, Jack Winters. Is your wife called Jenny by any chance?"

"Yes, boss. Are you by any chance the Mr Winters interviewing for staff for a new gym?"

"Yes, I am. Is she there?"

"No, she's away to collect the eldest from rugby."

"Well you can tell her she's got the job if she wants it."

"Thank you very much. She's going to wonder how I know. I suppose I'll have to tell her who Mr Winters is. I don't think she made the association. She only met you once I think, after my accident. And you looked like shit."

"Thanks for that. Look, I've decided to get out on the scene, now I'm officially single. I'm meeting a few friends in the White Hart in town next Friday. There's a band and a small dance floor. It might be a chance for me to get to know my new staff. Fancy coming?"

"Thanks, I would. We haven't got out much lately. And that is my free weekend."

"Would Sam Willis be interested. I suggested we might meet in a more amenable situation."

"I'm sure he would. He's a pretty good guy. You'd like him. I'll ask him. I take it it's OK if he brings his wife?"

"Naturally."

"See you then, then."

"Dead on, Jack. See you then."

*****

All three job offers were accepted. I thought since Jenny was going to be there on Friday night, it might be an idea to invite Zoe and Sandra and their partners.

Diane picked up the children for the weekend, and I called a taxi. Naturally I was first there, a penalty of military training. Since the next to arrive was Sandra and her husband, Quon. I reverted to my best cocktail party mode, quickly discovering Quon was Hong Kong Chinese, since I had been there on a deep sea cruise, I had something I was able talk to him about. Jimmy arrived next with Jenny and Sam and his wife, Bryony. Since Jimmy had been crew on the same trip, he was able to talk to Quon while I got to know the ladies.

Gradually everyone arrived, including a number of old friends who had been invited by David and Milla. We filled quite a bit of the bar but there were plenty of others there too. Most of the clientele were in their very late twenties to mid fourties. And there were quite a few groups of women. The band played a few sets and I danced with most of the women in our group. The drink flowed and we were all having a good time when the lead singer announced an open mike, for anyone who fancied singing. There was the usual couple of drunks giving off key renditions of "Hound-dog" or "My Way".

Then Jimmy started agitating for me to take a turn. Milla, David, Simon and one or two of my old friends started nagging me into it too. The band spotted it and I was pinged. I had little choice. I asked picked up a guitar and if they could play my party piece and asked if they could play my party piece, "I've been everywhere". I saw the look exchamged between the band members. They had more than their doubts. But I suppose the've seen numerous wannabes crash and burn. I counted them in, and launched into my version. The same one Diane had heard all those years ago. The bar stopped. When we finished there was a cheer from the crowd and the band was congratulating me, asking if I had anything else. I asked if they knew "May you never" by John Martyn. Since they didn't I picked up an acoustic and launched into that following it with "Take it Easy" the Ralph McTell number not the Eagles song. They went down a storm. I handed the guitar back, and returned to my seat.

Our little group was congratulating me and asking what else I could play when the waitress arrived over with a drink for me. "Where'd this come from?"

"Those two over there," the waitress indicated two women I estimated to be in their early thirties and rather tasty.

Sod it, I thought. Might as well give it a go. So I went over. "Thank you for the drink, ladies."

"Thank you for the entertainment. You've a pretty good singing voice."

"All compliments gratefully received. As you can see I'm with some friends, would you like to join us?" And they did.

I went to the toilet and as I was coming out a guy approached me. "That was a pretty good little set you did there."

"Thanks. I'm a bit rusty, but it comes back once you get up there."

"Look, my name is Doug Dellow, I'm a promoter. I work with the band and a few others. If you are interested ..." he proffered a card, "... I could get you a few gigs on the folk circuit. Or if you play other styles I can do that too."

"Sure."

"No, straight up. You could do alright. If you don't believe me ask Big Charlie, the singer. Think about it. It could be like Dire Straights said."

"Sorry, I'm not with you there?"

"Money for nothing and your chicks for free."

He walked into the mens toilet. As I returned to my table, some of the women aspoke to me, telling me they enjoyed my performance. When I rejoined my friends, the two girls were straight over to me. I thought to myself, maybe there was something in what he said.

The night progressed. I circulated, but seemed to have two shadows, Sandra and Quon were the first to leave, as they had children, but gradually the party thinned out until it was just Milla, Simon, David, Jimmy and Jenny, Sam Willis and Bryony, my shadows, Abbi and Karyn, Zoe Aristedes, and me.

"Well you certainly know how to throw a party, Jack," said Zoe.

"Nothing to do with me. A party is the people."

"But some one has to start it," said Abbi.

"Anyone fancy a curry," said Jimmy.

"Damn right," I said. Milla, David Simon and Zoe all bowed out. The rest of us went to the best Indian restaurant in town. During the meal, I learned that Jenny Henshaw was going back to work now that their youngest was in secondary school. Bryony was also on the look out for a job, but only part-time. I told her to give me a ring. Abbi and Karyn both worked in a bank. After the meal, Jimmy, Sam and their wives thanked me for inviting them and left. I was left with Abbi and Karyn. I offered to share a taxi to see them home. They agreed, but when we arrived at Karyn's flat, they both got out and asked if I would like a coffee. I think I thought about it, but all I'm sure of is the grin on the face of the taxi driver. And I don't think it was the size of the tip.

12