Jamie - The Journey Begins Ch. 35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Daniel smiled at his brother and partner. "And that's why I love this guy," he said, looking at Jamie. "There is nothing he wouldn't do for my brother."

..o0o..

The party was settling into a nice vibe. The kids had found a stash of treats from both their grandmothers, so they were silently watching YouTube while sitting in the shallow end of the pool, stuffing their faces. The older adults, Ben's parents, Raine and Ann Maire, and Kate were sitting in a small group drinking some wine. Every so often, you'd hear laughter coming from them.

I was sitting on one of the outdoor lounge chairs. Ben was sitting between my legs, leaning against my chest. Lucas, Hailey, Daniel and Ella, Amber and Trev were doing the same. Their little circle took up half the yard, with Stephanie, Todd and the rest of our friends either sitting on yard chairs or on the blankets and pillows on the lawn when a loud and familiar voice came from the side gate.

"G'day, mate! What's digg'n?" I couldn't spin my head around any faster.

"Ty! About time." Ben automatically moved forward a little so I could get up. I almost sprinted to the gate when my buddy grabbed me in a huge bear hug.

"Shit, man -- you're gonna snap my ribs." I dropped, half-bent over for a moment, trying to get my breath without fainting.

"Oh shit! Sorry ... forgot about that," Ty grimaced.

Sam was standing to his side all smiles.

"Hey, Sam - how's it going?" I called out as I stretched out a free arm and pulled him into a more gentle Jamie-Ty crush. "So, what's happening guys," I asked as we walked over to the crowd, most of whom were standing now to greet these two.

"We'll I did a thing." Ty looked coyly between Sam and me. "I asked Sam to marry me, and he said yes!"

"That is fucking awesome! Hey guys Ty asked Sam to marry him!" The look between those two was just perfect. They'd been together for years now. I was wondering if it was going to happen or not ... just guess everyone does stuff at their own pace right.

Everyone cheered and started to crowd around them, offering their congratulations. The parents table had seen what was going on and were making their way over to congratulate them. After everyone had their fill about how Ty popped the question, when was the wedding, etc., we settled into chill mode.

"Hey, Jamie ... you got a sec?" Ty asked.

"Sure, buddy." We walked over to the side of the yard where there were less people.

"I wanted to ask you, because we've been mates since we were 4years old, right?"

"Yeah, of course Ty. What do you need?"

"I'd like you to be my best man, my oldest friend. It would mean the world to me."

I was silent for at least 30 seconds ... me silent, right! "Ty I'd love to ... I'd be honoured. I'm so happy for you guys ... so happy. It's awesome."

We talked for the next half-hour about where our lives had taken us, reaffirming that we were all good about the whole Sam-Me-Him thing -- like, shit, that was years ago.

"I'm in demand, man," I laughed with Ty. "Josh Nicolls and Ryan - you know, Tom's Ryan? - are getting married in July next year. Josh asked me to stand up for him too.

"Get this, though: Josh has been a regular visitor to our place for years, same with Cali-Ryan. Before he asked me to stand up for him, Josh and Ben went out for a coffee, where Josh asked Ben if he'd be ok with it, you know - me being his best man."

Ty looked a little concerned for a moment. "Should I ask Ben if it's ok? I know we talked about it all after your wedding and all, but should I check in?"

"Mate, you, Gav, Dave and Adam are my oldest friends. I think that buys you extra cred, but by all means, if it's a concern with you, go chat with him before we say anything."

"Thanks, mate. I will, just in-case. So, any way, what happened with their coffee, Ben, and Josh?"

"Oh yeah, right. So, Josh, and Hailey and Gav... she happened to stop in and by a coffee, so they asked her to join. Gav was staying with us for a week due to his work, so he came along. But anyways ... Yeah, Josh wanted to make sure that things were cool between Ben and him, even though we'd never actually hooked up, Josh and me." I pointed between myself and the open space between Ty and me.

"Josh was all happy, super happy for Ben and me, saying he counts us close and great friends."

"Yeah, nice guy that Josh," Ty remarked.

"Yeah, so, Josh talked about how I 'apparently' threw myself at him that night back in LA - remember the night of photos?" I started to shake my head for a moment, reliving parts of that night again. "Fuck, I was a dick, wasted, and a dick." I could hardly recall it without feeling somewhat uneasy about how much of a dick I was.

"So, Josh came straight out and said that he was a good guy resisting me throwing myself at him... go figure. That I was so wasted, common theme that night... he could see that under the frat house behaviour that I was a good guy." Fuck, I always, still do think Josh is a great guy, "So many others wouldn't have given it a second thought of taking advantage of my crazy state."

"All this from a guy that I hadn't know all that long, really. We'd been hanging out for a short time, but he was starting to catch feelings for me. I wanted to make it clear - super clear - that he couldn't be happier for Ben and me."

Ty jumped in. "It was meant to be Ben and you, Jamie. You needed to go find yourself again after all that nasty work stuff and divorce and leave that trail of broken hearts.

"Josh described it like I was a little kid, running through a wheat crop, running my hands over the heads of the wheat, just enjoying running, which, in hindsight, was pretty frigg'n accurate."

"How did how Josh know about that stuff, Jamie?" his friend asked, somewhat confused that Josh knew this stuff about Jamie then. It wasn't widely known, really.

"Apparently Ty. I was at one point in the fetal position on Tom's floor, letting it all out, and Josh was comforting me. I don't even remember it. Maybe it was a little breakdown." Jamie shook his head.

A determined look crossed Ty's face. "Yeah, I'm going to go have a chat to Ben, first-mate. Then we'll see if he's totally ok with it. If he's ok, great - and if not, I get it."

"Thanks Ty. It means a lot to me that you'd consider Ben's feelings in this, notwithstanding our friendship."

"That's exactly why, buddy, because of our friendship." Ty leaned over and kissed Jaime's forehead.

..o0o..

"Hey - come on guys... let's dance. I think that's our song!" I yelled out.

"Thanks, Jamie. I'm gonna sit this one out," Hailey gently rubbed her very oversized belly.

"Um-yeah, Hails. The last thing we want with all these kids and extended family around is our very own nature show - child birth in our yard, haha."

I playfully rubbed Lucas' shoulder. "You stay here, buddy, and look after your lovely - and my beer. Look after, I mean - don't drink it."

Lucas just smiled at me, "Sure." He proceeded to gulp the bottle. "Oops ... my bad," he teased while poking his tongue out.

Grabbing Ben's hand, I gently led him toward a clear dance space, but not before leaning in and kissing my cousin on the cheek... okay, and Lucas too. He was being so sweet, kissing and her telling her how much he loved her - any idiot could see that. The one thing both Lucas and I had excelled in was getting this - our choice of life partner - right.

"Hey you ... like my outfit?" I gave him one of my thousand-watt smiles.

Ben laughed, then got that look in his eye - like I was candy and he needed a sugar fix. "I can't believe that Mitt and Peter talked you into wearing your lederhosen. Hmm... that last time you wore this was our ..."

"...Third wedding anniversary. I remember," I sighed while pulling Ben up against me. I took his hand in mine, bringing it to rest against my chest over my heart.

We started to slow dance to 'Cold Play Yellow -- A song that so-so much summed up soul mate. We danced slowly, looking into each other's eyes. Time just stood still, my mind full of the memories we'd created together, our family, friends, our kids.

"Jamie," he asked in a low voice, his head resting on my shoulder. "A job has come up that would be amazing for me, I think - Director of Training -- trauma - for a service."

I couldn't help hide the surprise on my face. "Wow! That sounds amazing, Ben. Have you applied?" Our heads were resting on each other as we slowly danced.

"No, Skip. I wanted to talk to you first, as I would need us to relocate if I were successful."

Pulling back, I looked into Ben's beautiful eyes, his smile was so comforting, I felt warm all over.

"If we need to move, no problem, Tex ... anything for you." I paused to gently kiss those amazing lips. "I'd change jobs if I had to ... not a worry."

A smile wrapped over Ben's face. "Well, that might be a necessity, as there is also a Fire Service Deputy Chief's position open too!" he replied, kissing along Jamie's jawline.

His gentle murmurs ignited a fire within me. Damn - I love this man!

"Ben..." My mind fast-forwarded, thinking if I'd heard about any Deputy jobs coming up. The only one I'd just found out about was back in Australia.

"Yes, Skip."

"Where is it - the-it-they-jeez- jobs." Sometimes, English is truly my second language.

Ben pulled back a little and looked me dead square in the eyes. "Australia! And before you say 'no' outright, I think we should talk about it."

My mind was instantly spinning as though I'd been tipped upside down and spun around a hundred times. "Ok... we can talk about it, but... what about our lives here, our home, jobs, kids."

"Australia was ok enough for you to grow up in. It's only for 4 years... maybe." Ben smiled.

"If that's what you want, Tex, I'll go wherever you go."

"Ok. Let's talk about this tomorrow, ok? Right now, Skip ... you need to kiss me."

Ben let out a little quiet groan, as we pressed our lips together. I could feel myself smile inside as I wrapped my arm around behind my husband gently pulling our bodies together slowly dancing while looking into his eyes. As the song finished we pulled back a little. Our lips barely broke contact.

"Thank you, Ben."

The yard was alive with the sounds of family and so many friends that are part of our family: the Rush and Spence families. Kids were squealing. Laughter filled the air like the backing track to the music that is our lives, enveloping us all and adding a bond of love that was open and easy for all to see.

Lucas, Hailey, Ben, and I were as close as we'd ever been. Our kids were always together, much in the same way that Lucas and I had been when visiting as we grew up, but now we only lived ten minutes from each other, well - for the moment, maybe.

As I looked out past Ben's shoulder, out across the yard - the space that was filled with family, friends - memories of my dad too flooded around me. I miss him so much, but know he is here with me - with us - in so many ways. In my heart, too, is Sean: he will always be there. As dad was my first hero, an amazing example of a man, Sean was my first love. But they are all second place to Ben.

Laughter filled the air, snapping me out of my own mind. Wow - to think this was all brought together by a series of events/accidents, starting with looking out the window of my lawyer's office into that blue sky, drunkenly booking flights to the US; Lucas' and my -- our - epic road trip. I had -no, have -, so much to be thankful for.

A warm feeling washed over me. I felt comfortable, happy, but above all, in love.

"For what?" He nuzzled against my neck.

"For pulling me out of that truck six years ago... reviving me?" Ben's hand slipped up my neck, gently tilting our foreheads together.

"I'd do it all and more in a heartbeat, Jamie. I never imagined I could be so happy."

"And, yeah," I laughed a little, "don't think I've forgotten that it took years for you to finally admit IT WAS YOU, that revived me over and over in the back of the bus. Thank you, Tex."

"Was me... what? I don't know what you're talking about." He replied with a sly smile.

I smiled as it dawned on me. "That's why." A warm smile wrapped over my face.

"That's why what, Jamie?"

"You, when we..." for some stupid reason I blushed, "when we make love, you put your hand on my chest, over my heart."

A shy, almost timid, look swept over him. "Not sure what you mean. I love feeling you as you come in me."

Through our shared looks, there was agreement: I knew it was, because he was admitting to me that he saved me -- then, and often since - with his love. Leaning into him, I gently kissed those soft warm lips. "You revived me then. You do every day with your love."

Breathing in his scent, still as intoxicating today as it was the first time I smelled it, I couldn't help but smile like a school kid that made the team. "But most of all, Ben, for giving me a family of our own, for sharing your life with me, putting up with my at-times childish ways, for making me the happiest man, something I thought I'd never feel in so many ways."

His eyes looked up into mine, taking me in - those sky-blue babies, that I get so lost in. He wasn't saying a word. Those plump, sweet lips remained silent, but his eyes conveyed so much.

We were gently swaying with the music, or maybe to our own beat - to be honest, I couldn't say.

"I swear sometimes I look into your eyes and time stops. Everything just fades to nothing and all I see, hear, feel is you, Ben." I kissed him gently -- featherlight ... once, twice and a third time, each one becoming deeper, till my head was spinning.

Our lips finally came apart. We both smiled at each other, resting our foreheads against the other in a sweet-timid way,

"Benjamin Rush Spence - Ben - thank you for letting me love you today, tomorrow - Forever."

The End

12