Jebidiah's Change Bk. 01 Ch. 10

Story Info
House risen, destinations reached, battles fought.
13.4k words
4.88
1.9k
4

Part 11 of the 16 part series

Updated 03/20/2024
Created 12/09/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lathanar1
Lathanar1
129 Followers

Welcome back gentle reader

I read a lot of military scifi, it is probably my favorite genre. Some of those authors treat battles as these long drawn out affairs over many chapters, sort of like how a Dragon Ball Z battle lasts 20 episodes. I am not the biggest fan of that style, I prefer the action to be sharp and pointy. From here on out the fighting will get thicker at times, let me know which style you all prefer in the comments.

Once again the standard disclaimer, multiply ages by roughly two to get equivalent Earth ages. Everyone is a consenting adult. There's also a section where the sex gets a little rough.


-- Chapter 10: Soldier's Rest --

-- Second Tenday of Yantaen 813 AGR --

If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way.

- Goodkind

Yantzee led Jebidiah into the main inn of the rest area, larger than most of the inns they had encountered on their journey. In the back of the inn was a meeting room that could comfortably hold thirty people. It looked filled to capacity when Jebidiah entered. Seated at a central table was the Duchess surrounded by many, many Stockmar women. More than had been at the council meeting. Jebidiah's sense of unease greatly increased.

The Duchess began once Jebidiah was announced, drawing his attention as he had entered and acknowledged her with the customary "Your Grace". There was no seating offered to him. "Young Master Valor, we are sorry to surprise you with this meeting, however circumstances are not always as easy as we would wish and there have been some, let us say complications, with timing. First I would like to introduce someone who has been waiting to make your acquaintance. I present to you Lady Mira Vander Stockmar, my sister, Tenner's mother."

Jebidiah bowed deeply. "My Lady, it is an honor to finally meet the mother of someone we hold so dear."

"I hope this meeting proves that out, Jebidiah." Mira responded. "We've had numerous correspondences from Tenner concerning you over the years but what has been told of late is most concerning. I won't lie to you, the purpose of this meeting is to determine your intentions with your group, your house, and your future and if we cannot be satisfied here and now, then Tenner will be rejoining us and will be forbidden to see you again."

"That is unfortunate, Lady Stockmar. I had hoped we would meet under better circumstances. As it stands, we may be at an impasse."

Her eyes flared, "What do you mean? What have you done?"

"Tenner has joined our bond already. Surely Greta had already informed you if Tenner had not? I'm assuming now that Greta's presence in our group is more a fact finding mission than actual interest?"

The Duchess had never taken her eyes off Jebidiah. "Beth?" she queried without a spoken question and a woman further in the back answered "He tells the truth."

Jebidiah took a second to glance over to the woman who had spoken and found yet another beautiful Stockmar woman whose head was surrounded by a golden nimbus. Some form of priest divination then, most likely a Detect Lie spell cast before he entered. Seated beside her was an equally handsome woman whose head was surrounded by a green glow. Most likely a mage enchantment spell if the colors held true. So this was some form of a test, and a serious one.

"I sense a lack of trust." Jebdiah said with a flat voice.

"I sense a lack of humility." the Duchess replied.

"I sense a lack of trust, Your Grace." Jebidiah said just as flatly.

The Duchess continued with a dry voice, "There are serious concerns within our House, and quite frankly from far outside it as well if reports are to be believed, that you have been using nefarious means to either coerce or charm our young women into a sick, depraved, hedonistic, and most importantly for some, misogynistic harem for your pleasure. They even believe you have somehow managed to enthrall the Crown. It is ridiculous to expect a newly woken Artificer to accomplish such feats on their own, so, by many people's logic, there must be someone powerful backing you and your efforts. Meaning you are nothing more than a man pawn for some powerful woman out there wanting to make a play for the throne. Some minds need to be set to ease and if some harmless magic is all that is required, so be it." Jebidiah took the wave of her arm to mean some of the women present had reservations.

"And you, Your Grace? Does your mind need to be set to ease?"

"I believe that you are what you say and our Tenner and Greta will be in good hands. I do regret this has to be done in this manner however time waits for no woman and time is something we lack. I have several reports that House Crag is sending forces to intercept you once you pass from our lands into House Marlen's. Your destination lies within Marlen territory and they will not stand against House Crag's power. Our signal relays tell us there is also a House Faltha group heading this way from Silvertoe. You will need to leave the caravan and make your fastest time to just before the first Marlen outpost and turn north over the plains. If you are fast enough the Crag soldiers will miss you.and wait for your arrival until the Faltha troops reach them and they know you have slipped by. Everyone expects you to spend a few days in Soldier's Rest with us which will not happen. It is all the time we can provide you to delay your pursuers."

"Now prepare yourself young Jebidiah. This may not be pleasant for any of us but it must be done."

"I understand, Your Grace." Jebidiah sighed in resignation. "Who is first?"

Tenner's mother once again took the lead. "Do you love her?"

For the next hour the women of Stockmar quizzed Jebidiah over many things about his relationships and goals. It was grueling but also enlightening to see where their primary concerns were. They centered around his feelings for his wives and the others in the group, the dynamics of their group, and his plans for House Valor. Mira posed a majority of the questions with some coming from her other sisters as well. The Duchess asked a few, but those few were the most pointed and gave Jebidiah the most pause. One of Tenner and Grace's aunts, Janice, brought up Mila and how Jebidiah had included a known assassin, one who had targeted Jebidiah, into their traveling group and led a series of questions centered around his answers.

The Duchess Lydia interrupted the questioning toward the end, asking Jebidiah if there was more than his desire for answers that kept Mila by his side. His denial was the first time the diviner Beth announced he was not telling the truth. The response shocked Jebidiah and he failed to keep his thoughts from reflecting on his face. The Dutchess asked more questions about his relationship with Mila, many of which also were met with declarations of falsehood until finally Jebidiah answered "Apparently I need to answer some of my own questions regarding Mila. I am not attempting to hide anything." When Beth did not challenge Lydia finally nodded and let the other women's questioning continue.

The Duchess finished off the questioning when the topic moved to House Valor. "Do you intend to raise the banner of Valor again?"

"I have not considered it." Jebidiah replied.

"A falsehood." Beth stated.

Jebidiah had to think over what had been discussed and after a moment said, "I had decided I might as well start using the Valor surname instead of Overton because the Divine have made their decision on the matter known. We later had a discussion about the surnames to be used for our group. It was not my decision to use the Valor surname but I believe my opinion has been rejected if it was ever truly considered. My wives can be quite stubborn. That is the only thoughts on House Valor we have had."

When Beth failed to challenge his answer, the Duchess did not relent. "Will you raise the Valor banner again?"

" I don't know. What would it gain me? I have no lands, no income, no legacy, I could not even defend the right to the name past offering the divinations as evidence. How could I?"

"'Jebidiah Tonstar Valor, First of Your Name, House Risen, Bond Reforged', Do not forget what those divinations have said. 'Listen to the past, and your future will be clear.' Are you sure that you even have a choice? I ask again, will you raise your banner?"

Jebidiah found himself confused, conflicted, confounded, and many other con- prefixed words. Instinct took over and he supplied his terse answer. "If I have the ability to, I will."

The Duchess nodded once again. "It is best to agree with Divine intention when it favors you young man. I believe we are finished here." She looked around to make sure everyone agreed. Jebidiah gathered that it was a formality; when she said she was done everyone was done. "You have the blessing and backing of House Stockmar, Master Valor. Remember that in the days to come. But now you must depart. I have supplied a parting gift. It was meant to be presented at Soldier's Rest but even I do not always get what I want. Divine's speed and blessing on your journey Lord Jebidiah."

He recognized a dismissal when it happened. "Your Grace, I thank you for all you have done. I will guard Tenner and Greta with my life." He bowed again and left the room and then the building before he realized what title the Duchess had used at the end. Returning to his tent with Yantzee they found Corporals Simmons and Tyler in discussion with the others, all standing around an ornate chest that Jebidiah did not recognize.

Tenner was the first to greet him with a hug. "I did not know my mother had plans to meet you tonight, I thought we were doing so in our Keep. Greta and I have been summoned to meet her shortly but were told to wait for your return."

"We felt a lot of different things through the bond. Almost went on a rescue mission towards the end." Dana joked. "It felt like that was rough. Is everything ok now?"

"It is but we need to have a serious Group Conference. Joy, can you locate Stern for me? Corporal? Um, Hiro, would you please gather the rest of our personal guard? I need everyone for this. Tenner, Grace, I think it would be best not to leave to see your mothers until we have this talk."

Joy promptly left and Hiro bowed before leaving. Jebidiah moved to the chest and opened it, not being surprised at the contents. "I am learning that the Duchess is used to getting her way." He pulled the folded cloth bundle off the top of the chest and unfurled a flag banner. It was a heavy cloth, strong, woven to withstand the elements, meant to be used. The cloth was a rich bronze color with a thin strip of gold outlining a pair of crossed handaxes, the arms and sigil of House Valor.

"My Lord." The voice behind him caused Jebidiah to turn and meet it. Corporal Yantzee stood surrounded by the rest of their personal guard. "That banner is meant to be flown." His words were both a question and a statement. Everyone waited with held breath, only the tent flap's occasional movement in the wind broke the ensuing silence.

Jebidiah handed the banner to the closest guardswoman. "See to it Corporal. House Valor lives again." With his proclamation the banner took on a shine as if woven from pure metal instead of cotton and a sense of finality settled on him. The guard Jebidiah handed the banner to accepted it with solemnity.The guards beside her took a step back and placed hands on the hilts of their swords as if to draw. Jebidiah spun to see what threat had appeared but was greeted by Crystal's glowing eyes.

The other voice spoke through her once again. "House Risen. Judgment met. The forests await House Valor." The glow in her eyes faded and Dana caught Crystal as she fainted.

"I think that gets creepier every time it happens." Dana said as she laid Crystal down on the cushions.

"I mean, I get it, I am most likely doing what the Divine are asking but this feels forced. We are all being pushed into an outcome not of our making. If they have already decided what we are going to do and what is going to happen because of it, what is the point in the Divines doing all of this? Why make us jump through hoops? Why can't they just get to the point?"

Shirley's voice broke the silence. "The destination is just the ending. How you decide to make the journey is what makes the person."

Michael, standing beside her, nodded in agreement. "Well said Mistress. We all hold the ability to fight against the Divine, Jebidiah. The choice is still yours on what you wish to do. Your misgivings and questioning just mean you are not blindly doing what others want. I for one am thankful you are not that much of a fool. Stephanie had hoped this step would happen and when it did I was instructed to welcome House Valor. You have the Crown's support."

Joy came up and hugged him. "I'm so proud of you, Jebidiah. I love you."

"Love you too, munchkin. I just hope I haven't sentenced us all to a grisly death."

"We will fight till the end, Jeb. I pledge my blade to your House." Stern said from the back of the gathering and then knelt. Jebidiah had been so engrossed in the moment he missed Stern's entrance. Slowly, one at a time, each of the guards around him pledged and knelt till his family was surrounded by a small sea of kneeling people. Jebidiah was choked with emotion and swamped by the pride and love flowing into him from the bond.

The words from the memorial service came unbidden. "You are the shield of our axe."

Jebidiah thought he finally caught a quickly hidden smile from Yantzee as they all answered. "Uther's own."

"Hair stands on end, the feel of importance." Mila quipped, breaking up the solemnity of the moment.

The solemn mood was further ruined when Joy broke off her hug and looked into the chest in front of Jebidiah to loudly exclaim. "Oooo, so pretty!" She reached in and pulled out a dress in bronze cloth with a bodice trimmed in gold lace and ruffles with matching golden sleeves. Embroidered upon the right breast was the crossed axes of House Valor. She held the dress up to her body, it was sized appropriately, and spun about.

The other girls gasped and Tenner darted forward. "Are there more?" Soon it was feminine mayhem as the chest was emptied of more dresses and the girls sorted out who each set belonged to. The chest contained three sets of dresses sized for Crystal, Dana, Tenner, Greta, and Joy. There was also a set of tunics for each and formal wear for Jebidiah. At the very bottom of the chest were several bolts of cloth for additional clothing and a very supple leather cuirass sized for Jebidiah. The commotion brought Crystal back to consciousness and she quickly hugged and kissed Jebidiah when was caught up to speed.

Her toothy smile beamed at him, "We will make this work my love. All of it. Oh, there's a note here." She reached into the lid of the open chest and grabbed a slip of paper stuck there. "'I told you bronze would look good on you.' It doesn't say who from."

"The Duchess." He answered with a chuckle. "She knew at the council meeting." Louder, to those around him he said, "We need to get back on task here. Corporal Yantzee. We have to break from the caravan and make haste. We will not be stopping at Soldier's Rest but must move past. We have foes before us, an unknown number of House Crag soldiers lie in wait to stop us. Behind us a group of House Faltha soldiers will push us into the trap. We make for the final Stockmar outpost and then break north into the plains to search for the ruins of the keep. I leave it to you to arrange the guard and set the pace."

He nodded in response. "This is not entirely unexpected. This setup," he gestured to the tent around him, "will unfortunately need to end. Quick camps on the plains and we will ride longer hours. They will know we only have two platoons but I was informed not long ago that there will be another platoon with additional supplies at Soldier's Rest to give us a full company's strength. I feel it will be adequate, barring any surprises like stumbling into a tribe of giants or trolls.."

"When do you think we should leave?" Jebidiah asked.

"We will break from the Stockmar caravan in the early morning, before first light. Get your rest, all of you. Tonight I will need the extra guard we had posted in here but we should be safe this close to the city. Try not to get yourself killed." He turned to the rest, "Come on First, we have work to do." The guards filtered out of the tent, taking the banner with them.

Tenner and Greta left as well to meet with their respective mothers and rejoined them several hours later for a late evening meal. Crystal giggled, "Yantzee is going to be upset that we are staying up so late."

Stern spoke up after. "Speaking of, I meant what I said about pledging my sword but does that make me part of the guard? It felt like I needed to do what I did but there was no thought about what it meant."

"You are part of the family, Stern." Crystal answered in a voice that discouraged any questioning. "We still have to work out the surnames but as far as I am concerned you are now House Valor as well. So congratulations on becoming a noble!"

Stern blushed and there was a round of "Here! Here!" as everyone raised a mug in salute.

"That goes for you as well, Joy." Crystal continued. "We will work out the bond, do not worry about that. From here on you are a Valor as well."

"Yes, First Wife." Joy's smile lit up the entire ten as the other girls giggled.

Greta spoke next, "I told mother about the banner and thanked her from all of us for the gifts. It was obvious she was pleased you unfurled the banner. I had to describe what happened twice. While I missed out on being your prime she said Valor was a suitable surname for the family. I was also ordered to inform you that a dispatch will be sent to the Crown in the morning about the re-establishment of House Valor. She said it would only be a confirmation of planned events. The leather was a gift from the Princess."

"That really doesn't help my misgivings about being forced into all of this, events being out of my control." Jebidiah sighed.

"You may be in charge, but you better get used to women knowing a thing or two about what is best for you." Dana laughed then put on a stern look and tone. "Seriously, get used to it."

"Well, I am going to need all of your help to figure out how this House nobility thing will work. Dana, Crystal, Tenner, Grace, all of you have an infinite amount of experience compared to me. I have no idea how to proceed."

Michael chimed in, "I can help you there as well. I wonder just how much influence the Divine have had in all of this. I find it rather convenient that you were tasked with rebuilding a fallen House and supplied with a bevy of beautiful, experienced noblewomen, not to mention one of the royal line, to help you do it. I could think of many, many worse ways to start out."

"Humans are funny. Hold up flag and say 'I am noble.' Poof, you noble." Mila quipped.

Joy answered her, "I bet my dresses would fit you if you want one. Maybe try it out."

Mila scoffed, got up, and retreated to her sleeping area.

"She didn't say no." Joy said with a devilish grin.

"You shouldn't antagonize her so much," Jebidiah said to Joy.

"There's interest there." Crystal replied.

That caught Jebidiah without a proper response. "What?"

"You might be slowly becoming a not so dumb man but we have always been smart women. You need to learn to trust your wives." Tenner said.

Laughter and more small talk ended the meal while Jebidiah found himself considering the Duchess' questions about Mila.

When they crawled into bed that evening, Joy sighed and said "I'm going to miss sleeping like this. I like having everyone around me."

Greta stripped down and grinned at Joy. "You know what I miss? Having a nice hard dick inside me. If only I had one available."

Lathanar1
Lathanar1
129 Followers