Jewel of the Hoard Ch. 02

Story Info
Chivalry isn't dead. But things aren't as they seem.
7.7k words
4.74
3k
3
0

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
STLwriter
STLwriter
175 Followers

Aries stood awake and alert in the living room. He was with Ginsela and Cadmus more than twelve hours ago and his body showed its displeasure by rendering him limbs more stiff than usual. He rested for much longer than he anticipated. Since there was no way of telling time in the deep cave system, the snoring Princess that laid in the bed opposite of Aries provided the answer earlier. A plate of breakfast food was left out along with a goblet of water at the doorway, most likely for him and placed there by Cadmus. The dragon did seem upset that he did not stay for breakfast.

Aries devoured it and drank everything the goblet had. The food was warm, most likely due to magic, and the water was fresh. The idea of a dragon having access to such luxuries in a cave system puzzled Aries but he had no qualms of consuming the food since the Princess was still alive after eating who knows what for a month. Maybe Cadmus was trying to win his trust? At least he did not poison the first meal. Aries figured there would be time to ask where Cadmus had access to such amenities later.

Sneaking through the living room, Aries first decided to check the drawers and books. Everything was so organized in the drawers and the books were each categorized together. Most of the drawers were filled with bobbles. Wisps that were minding their business on the top of the cave started to float down towards him as if interested themselves. Five of them, each one bright globes of light that acted as alive like loyal cats or dogs. One of them circled around Aries' fingers as he riffled through the drawers and when the knight gave it a firm whack, it burst into a bright light. The rest of them scattered up to the top of the roof once more as if scared they would receive a similar treatment. Aries huffed, annoyed. The knight moved on to the twin cabinets by the dining table.

One of the cabinets was filled with cups and silverware on display with methodical care. They were even dusted. Aries crouched down and felt around for a handle to open it and further examine the contents. It was exactly what was displayed. Aries picked a random plate, the ceramic technique masterful. It was handmade with care and consideration.

So far, Cadmus just seemed like he truly wanted company.

Aries set the plate down and closed the cabinet. This all felt like such a waste of time. Someone that lived for so long would not hide things in plain sight. Maybe it was time to give up. Scrap the whole thing and take Cadmus for his word.

Aries' eyes then fell upon the sword rack. If he found some trace of blood, it would mean that there was something foul afoot. Aries snuck over to them. Where was Cadmus' bedroom anyway? Clearly, he had to sleep somewhere...maybe he could check that for clues next. No matter, he needed to focus.

Each of the swords were crafted with tactical needs in mind. The swords handle even had grooves in them for where they were held. Something that had a decent grip must have handled them. Aries realized at that moment just how many weapons there were. There were twenty of them; ten on one side and ten on the other but each had signs of wear. Stepping forward and kneeling down before the weapons, Aries started to examine them closely. Symbols were written into the scabbards. Each one had a unique moniker like an artist adding a small embellishment to a painting in a language unfamiliar to Aries.

The sword that Cadmus had brandished during their own scrabble was sheathed and placed neatly off towards the end. Curiosity overtook Aries and he reached forward to grab it. The handle was not properly balanced for someone like him and felt awkward in Aries' hand. They were built for someone double the size of a human. Aries slowly started to unsheathe the sword, the actual blade beginning to appear at the hilt.

"You still aren't thinking about doing something reckless...are you?" Cadmus asked with a low, threatening rumble to his voice. Aries could feel a looming presence over him, the knight's body eclipsed by the larger form. The human's heart nearly leapt up into his throat. He did not even hear him approach. How long was he watching for?

Aries took a deep, calm breath as he stood and turned around to face the dragon. Cadmus' clawed fingers twitched.

"No," Aries said. Pulling the blade out just enough so that he could examine the base, Aries noted the intricate patterns along the metalwork. The etchings would be impossible for a blacksmith to create. Far too precise.

"I'm a knight of my word. Plus, I doubt these swords could even cut wood."

Cadmus' own personal blade was showing signs of wear. The metal, no longer a shining luster like the scabbards they were slid into, were dull and some appeared to be rusting. If Cadmus did intend to kill him, he would have better luck with his claws or strangling him. The thought did give Aries some comfort; at least he would be able to stare his demise right in the face. It is no wonder the dragon used the hilt to bash him over the head rather than the actual blade itself.

"Are these your personal blades?" Aries noted, his keen eyes looking over the metalwork. Feeling brave, the knight brought his hand towards the dull edge. It did not draw blood.

Cadmus frowned and his eyes looked over Aries curiously. "Yes...why do you ask?"

"Did you intend to kill me with rust?"

Cadmus chuckled, a blush coming to his cheeks. "I detect a hint of sarcasm in your voice, knight."

Aries was quiet.

"Why do you care so much about that particular blade?" Cadmus asked.

The wisps started to gather around. Aries noticed that Cadmus was dressed in a bright blue mantle cloak along with a tunic and tied pants. Runes were written along the tail of the cloak, each one looking similar to what was written on the scabbard of the swords yet still distinct. The base of the robe was black with a nice teal trim that complimented the dragon's scales.

As if answering himself, Cadmus gave a low rumble. "You don't trust me."

"No," Aries said honestly.

"Aries..."

The large figure stepped forward. The gentle look on Cadmus' face did more damage than any sword ever could. He felt dirty, like a rogue looking for loose change. He just needed to know...how could humans and beasts ever get along?

There was an awkward silence between them. Cadmus was the next to speak.

"Can I show you something, Aries?"

The human was concerned, but the look on Cadmus' face told him that it was urgent. For some reason, Aries felt as if something was compelling him to follow. Aries nodded and Cadmus smiled.

"Please, I think this will help..."

The two walked over to an opposing wall to the living room and Cadmus placed a hand on the cool stone. He muttered something quiet under his breath and a rune glowed red and hot where his hand was. The walls started to shift much like when Cadmus opened the hallway for Aries to pass to his quarters. Rocks started to shift and spread like a tide disappearing into the ocean and Aries audibly gasped.

This was Cadmus' true hoard. The cave opened wide and high to allow for such magnificence.

Stacks upon stacks of books, each one more ancient than the last were along the wall. All of them were of human origin and each one was marked with a quill right at the end. Gems littered the floor, ones with intricate swirls inside as if mazes were trapped within the very rock.Some were filled with a strange light that glittered with a spellbinding intensity. Aries leaned down to pick up one of the gems, the light not as strong as the ones towards the back but still there. It was a deep ocean blue that matched Cadmus' scales. The gem was warm to the touch but not painful like putting one's hand just close enough to a burning candle. He placed the gem on one of the books nearby, and it floated up off the book and back down to the ground.

Aries' eyes naturally moved to the center of the mounds of books and gems to see a lounge chair. It was surrounded by books where the quill was not directly at the end and the gems that surrounded the chair were the brightest. The foggy center inside was the most clear in them and the gems were each the brilliant blue.

A small lute was near the chair, propped up against it.

"This is my personal chamber, Aries."

Still silent, Aries noted that the jovial expression was not on Cadmus' face but a serious frown. He sat down on the lounge chair, his tail swiveling back and forth behind him. Clearly, what Cadmus was about to tell him was going to be difficult for him. Aries, still stunned, sat on the floor. His eyes reflected the blue that was all around him and his eyes looked as if they held tiny stars inside of the irises.

Wisps rushed into the chamber as if pulled on strings and flew straight to the jewels that were the brightest. They danced around them joyfully, shedding light and blinking happily. Cadmus chuckled and waved them away as if they were pets being a nuisance.

"Please, come closer. I promise if you knock over a book, I will be able to find a page," Cadmus said, beckoning Aries towards him. The knight walked, his legs moving of their own accord as he looked at the stacks of jewels that littered his feet. They clinked as he moved them, some of them floating out of the way as if they were sentient and alive.

"Pick one of the jewels up, Aries. It will be easier to explain..."

Doing as he was told, the knight scooped one of the smaller gems up. It was so wonderfully warm. Aries found himself lost inside and watched the fog shift and flow. Sitting down in front of Cadmus, the human looked up at the dragon dumbfounded.

"These are nothing like I have ever seen."

Cadmus grinned. "They are from my home far from here on an island impossible to get to unless you are magically inclined. It's name is Cinere."

"I always thought magic was a myth, but I seem to be the only one unaware of how important it was..."

Cadmus nodded. "A lot of humans are unaware of magic. Dragons started with it. We are extraordinarily stubborn with our control of it." Cadmus' expression turned much more serious once again. "And that is what I must talk to you about."

Aries looked up from the crystal and stared at Cadmus to see the dragon's wings extended and his nostrils flared. Aries stayed respectfully quiet.

"I was once part of a noble family, Aries. Dragons have a leisurely life, one that has comfort as its cornerstone, but...that must mean we play by certain rules. These gems are only available on our island...my home..."

Cadmus' speech stuttered and his expression turned painful, but he shook his head. "These gems function like syphons. They channel energy which can be used, molded, and controlled. You can create with this energy, change...and destroy."

Aries followed. He never heard of such an island but he was so ignorant of geography that he had no reason to believe Cadmus was lying. He continued to stay quiet.

"My family, my brothers and sisters ruled the island for thousands of years. I am young compared to them. Closer to your age...."

Cadmus paused waiting for an answer.

"Oh...21."

"Yes. That sounds correct to me. Except I am 350 years old. I have seen so much but I am still very young among my kind."

Reaching down to grab one of the brighter of the crystals on the floor, Cadmus brought it up to himself with care. "These crystals are all that are available on your continent that I am aware of. They need specific volcanic fire to forge them and with eruptions being rare, these are a finite resource. Granted, anyone can cast spells with the correct focus and intense practice, but these are the most powerful and precious."

"Why...are you here and not with your family on Cinere?" Aries asked softly. Cadmus stopped, his royal posture turning almost limp like a soggy noodle left in a pot of water for far too long. His expression darkened and his royal posture deflated. He suddenly looked much more tired than he was before.

"My family was slaughtered and I was usurped from my throne. I do not know who resides in my rightful place, but when I come back to the island..."

Cadmus sniffed, pain and grief across his face. His hands clenched hard enough that the claws cut into the palms. He shook his head as if waving away the pain before looking back at Aries.

"My family wished to mingle our culture with yours and stop the bloodshed between us," Cadmus choked out.

"I'm...sorry," Aries said, putting the crystal to the side. The words felt almost empty for the human to say. As if those two simple words would change anything. They wouldn't give Cadmus his family back. They would not even give him his life back. They were two insignificant words but they seemed to calm Cadmus down. His breathing slowed and continued.

"Many dragons do not share our family's sentiment, which probably led my family to being killed, but kind hearted ones are out there now exiled across the continent and your kind are less than hospitable," Cadmus said bitterly.

Aries looked away, ashamed. He could not imagine packing up and leaving his home in order to run away from his own kind and now he was a part of the problem. Cadmus figured his point was made and reached out to put a hand on Aries' shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"I will tell you that when I had to flee with as many crystals as I could carry, I was first taken in by an old, blind woman. I think she knew I was a dragon but I am not sure. She nursed me back to health but I could not stay for long. I did not want her getting hurt because she was harboring me. I hope Elsa is still doing well."

Aries could feel the hope and resolution, like a light mist in the morning. The hand on Aries' shoulder squeezed harder for a moment before letting go.

"Ever since then one hundred years ago, I have been jumping from cave to cave ever since and communicating with the locals. I was not always so welcoming to humans that came to me with swords drawn but...I have grown wiser now."

Aries could feel a tail wrap around his waist and he jumped, but didn't push away. It was...oddly comfortable. "I think there are good people among you. Helpful, kind, and compassionate. There are so many that have a drive and want to see the best of others."

Looking at Aries, Cadmus beamed. "I think my family would have liked you, Aries. You have a sense of duty even when you don't agree with it. That type of character is one that is rare. Even dragons do not universally have such traits!"

Aries smiled up at Cadmus, his body visibly relaxing. Maybe this could be a place where he could actually let go and be himself. Maybe, Cadmus could be...

No, that would be foolish. Aries shook the thought away.

"Thank you, Cadmus. I really appreciate that."

The grin that Cadmus made showed off his bright white fangs which clashed with the deep blue of the cloak. Although Aries never met a dragon, he made a guess that Aries was telling the truth. What other reason did he have to search the human for a lie?

"Now, enough talking about the past and painful things. Let's see if you can cast something..."

The forced chuckle from Cadmus told Aries that the dragon's mind was still occupied and looking for any reason to switch the subject. Aries was more than happy to oblige. It was not the fact that Cadmus' did not deserve the pain he had or he was tired of hearing the trauma but Aries knew the conversation was difficult for Cadmus to continue. The human figured that Cadmus would tell him more as they grew to know one another and did not push.

Cadmus moved down to sit next to Aries and Cadmus' hand extended to wrap around Aries' own. The move was gentle and there was no shame in Cadmus' eyes. The dragon looked all too keen to touch the human's soft hands. Aries felt the rough scales of the paw wrap around his softer skin and had to fight the urge to recoil away at the strange sensation. After a moment, the scales felt nice and warm.

Aries was too taken aback to note that his hands were held so intimately. The warmth was shared between them and the focus moved to the crystal.

"C-cast?!"

"Yes," Cadmus said with a smile. "And I'm not going to let go until we get some sparks. So, let's see what you can do. I've never shown a human magic before but I think you'll be fine."

Aries chuckled. "Well, that's reassuring."

It was so much different than being a squire. Training the morning followed by being barked at by a knight who had you under him. It was gruelling, hard work that was unforgiving with mistakes. Aries had a sudden flashback running with weighted bags of flour tied to his ankles. His feet were barefoot and the rough stones that he sometimes snagged caused him to bleed.

This was different. The touch was soft and gentle and Cadmus had a patient smile. Blushing, Aries looked up towards the dragon. He no longer felt that he was among a captor but someone who genuinely wanted to understand him.

"Take a deep breath. Concentrate on the warmth you are feeling..."

Aries did as he was told. He breathed deep and concentrated on the warmth of the crystal. His hands began to warm with it. In Aries' mind, it was as if he could feel a string just out in front of him in reach. The image of his hand reached forward to pull at the string and he tugged on it carefully.

"Ooooof....careful. You found me..." Cadmus said.

Aries immediately recoiled and jumped.

"O-oh! I'm sorry..."

"It's okay. I did the same thing when I first learned. You found my spirit..."

"Your spirit?"

"I think you call it your soul. Everything in the universe is connected. Some see it as rope, others as twine or yarn. The crystal helps bring all the connections to you. Find another...."

Breathing deep again, Aries started to reach back into his own mind. There was another string. Then another. Several more started to appear and Aries found the number of strings almost uncountable. Every tree, birds that flew through the blizzard raging outside, every insect, and bat had a thread. Some connected to one another or spanned. Some strings were frail while others were pulled taunt. Some of the strings appeared tattered and worn. Aries pulled gently at each one with his mind. Most of the strings slowly disappeared out of view as if running from the intrusion into their most intimate area. One appeared the most vivid throughout Aries search. It was shorter and thin and it wobbled out in front of Aries.

"That is the one you want..." Cadmus said as if on cue.

Aries reached forward and grabbed the string. Immediately, a burst of energy pulsed in heartbeat with his own. It thumped through him like a hammer coming down upon an anvil. Again and again, the energy pulsed through him. It wasn't painful but Aries' hairs raised on end and goosebumps began to form on his skin. Aries closed his eyes and concentrated.

"Good...now start to knead the energy like dough. Don't be afraid to shift it. It is yours to command."

Aries did not move a muscle. His muscles flexed with each pulse through him and sweat started to form on his skin. Aries started to knead the energy, molding it and forming it into something familiar. Wings, beak, and finally each individual feather. As he kneaded the energy with his mind, his creation began to shift as if alive. With one burst, it shot out of him. The pulses of energy shot out of him like an arrow from a bow. The pulsing stopped and was replaced with a deep sense of relaxation and release.

"Open your eyes, Aries. It is marvelous..."

The human opened his eyes to see a sparrow flying before him. It's little wings fluttered about and its feathers a luminous gold. It chirped with an adorable flutter of its wings. Gold strands of magic flowed down and onto the ground like dust. Cadmus watched like a proud father and instead of watching the bird, he was watching Aries' wonder and awe.

STLwriter
STLwriter
175 Followers