Jewel of the Hoard Ch. 03

Story Info
Chivalry isn't dead. But things aren't as they seem.
7.9k words
4.74
2.4k
4
0

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
STLwriter
STLwriter
175 Followers

Three days passed and the blizzard finally stopped. The three went through ten of the twenty crystals available and used them carefully. Mostly, they were used for food and water. Aries continued to practice his spellwork along with Cadmus' supervision while Giscela scouted around the cave system and used her skills in order to track any unexpected patrol movements.

When everyone was back at the cave, they would have a meal together. Aries would share stories of his time training, Giscela of being shown off at balls by the King, and Cadmus would speak of his time patrolling the halls of his grand palace. Both Giscela and Aries would stop whatever stories in order to put their full attention into Cadmus' grand telling. He would speak of the most luxurious dances, the mages decorating the environment in colors that would stimulate the eyes and use pyrotechnics that would boggle philosophers. Riches and opulence fueled by magic. It would be incredible and so hard to describe that Cadmus had to stop himself in order to phrase just what he was trying to say.

Cinere sounded so wonderful. Like a paradise cut straight out of a fairy tail and Aries wanted nothing more than to visit. However, there was always a darkness to the stories. Cadmus would sometimes have to stop himself, the pain of the happy times cut with the fact that the once nobleman would not return unless it was with a sword in hand.

A month passed. Aries was wondering if anyone would even show up. Villagers were beginning to come up to the cave and drop off supplies. They no longer had to use crystals to eat and survive. Cadmus would sometimes have to leave the safety of the cave and would give an explanation of what he was doing. Usually it was something along the lines of defending farmland from actual beasts. Wolves, coyotes, and bears would much rather find animals that were not defended by a seven foot tall dragon.

When he returned, he usually had something in hand and shared it with either of them. Aries found it endearing. They truly were becoming a weird, dysfunctional family and Aries found himself spending time around where Cadmus was. Partial curiosity and enjoying his company but he always walked around the cave smiling after his conversations with Cadmus.

Aries sat in the living room, his legs crossed comfortably. His body was maintained, the muscle he developed still strong since he did exercises in the cave. Generally, he did them before a bath. Cadmus would watch with interest as Aries did push-ups, planks, and squats.

The dragon took extra attention in watching the muscles flex and move and how sweat collected on the skin. It humored him that Aries cared about his body well enough. Cadmus figured that he would work out when the need struck him. After all, he did live for thousands of years. He had plenty of time while time was a constant on Aries' mind.

Sword in his belt and in leathers, Aries was ready for a fight. He had been ready ever since the blizzard started to clear. He only took off his sword and clothes when he needed to bathe but the rest of time, he wore them. Even when he fell asleep, his sword would be at his side. He had to be alert.

Cadmus was off running errands since it was midday leaving Aries alone at the cave and Giscela was scouting. Perhaps they thought the dragon was too big of a threat or not worth sending another knight in training to die? The thought was comforting. The idea of disappearing to give Aries time to collect himself would be nice. The cave was comfortable and Giscela, who appeared standoffish at first, was starting to grow on him. She would always switch the conversation to courting and made sure that Aries' armor looked well put together. She would click in buckles and polish the metal. Aries shook his head. Cadmus was probably lonely and Aries was feeling stressed from previous events.

Aries adjusted the sword at his hip and looked towards the table. The cave was much more organized now. Both Aries and Giscela made it their mission to organize the cave how they saw fit. Vases were filled with water and flowers set around the table. The banners were well taken care of and not covered in dust and filth. The torches were replaced and the glass clean and maintained. It was the least they could do. After all, Cadmus did change their lives.

A small satchel was at Aries' side which contained the crystal he had been using to practice his magic. There was still a small warmth that radiated off from it and the canvas of the satchel did little to stop it from getting to his thigh. It was like a comfortable friend; a reminder of why he was there. When Aries got worried about not feeling it, Cadmus would smile.

"Do not worry, we have nine more."

Aries rolled his eyes at the thought. The last nine crystals going towards his little bird would be pathetic. If another blizzard came in, he would be more than happy to sacrifice his own practice so they could live. When Aries retorted back with the sound logic, Cadmus' smile would get irritatingly bigger.

"Yes, but it makes my heart lighter to see you happy."

Aries couldn't argue against that.

Cadmus suggested breathing techniques and ways of meditation to make it easier to get to the astral space needed in order to see strings. With all the practice that Aries had been doing, there were times that strings would randomly appear in his visions like spider thread. When he blinked, they would disappear as if they were a trick of the mind. Cadmus reassured him that it was normal to start to see connections beginning to appear.

Speaking of, a string started to appear at the mouth of the cave. One that was pronounced; it was Giscela. She was moving in at a fast pace, her boots were echoing off the stone.

"Aries, Edward is coming. Four are with him. You should come out....Cadmus is going to be here any minute!"

Aries gathered himself. His heart was racing as he launched himself off of the chair and ran past Giscela. She followed him in toe, moving so fast that the tail of her cloak ran against the rock. She had a quiver on her back, a gift from Cadmus and made from the wood of a teek tree. The bow was made of the same wood and had draconic runes carved into the beautiful woodwork.

Aries could feel the bite of the cold winter air on him already. The sky was grey with clouds and snow still building up on the entrance of the cave. It reminded Aries of the time he first came to the cave but somehow calmer now.

The two ran out of the cave to be greeted by four men each seated on stallions. Giscela recoiled, grabbing an arrow out of her quiver and knocking it against the string. The four men were dressed in beautiful, ornate armor. They were from the King's guard, their armor shining. The fabric itself was red and white checkerboard and a sigil of a gryphon wings extended and claws up was patched into the top right of it. Two of the King's guards had bows while two others were unarmed. The one in the middle held a banner which he stuck through the snow and into the ground. His armor was distinct from the rest, a forest green with black checkers and a deer instead of a gryphon.

Pulling off his helmet, the man was lean but muscled. His eyes looked over the cave and he clutched his helmet in his right arm like he was about to accept a trophy. Sword gleaming on his belt, he walked forward to two obliviously.

"It is I, Edward of Barthon from the province of Lanish. Son of James and kin to Brantly. I have come to take my Princess home and rid this land of a foul be-"

He finally glanced at the two. He blinked.

"Princess? Is that....is that you?"

Giscela rolled her eyes. "Yes, you nitwit."

He smiled wide. "Ahh! What a jest! No dress to be seen and you look touched by the elements!"

His eyes moved to Aries and glared. "And who is this...pray tell?"

Before the knight spoke, Giscela interrupted him. "You will leave and never return. Go to Termund and tell him that we wish to speak with the king."

His mouth went agape and he stuttered. "K-King?! Are you cursed with magic?! How dare you raise your voice and give ME commands!" Edward wheeled around.

"What have you done to her, wretch?" Edmund said as he pulled out his sword and pointed it at Aries. "I demand an explanation or I will cut off your head myself!"

Aries grit his teeth. "Lord Edward, I am the knight dispatched to deal with the dragon..."

The king's guard behind Edward looked at one another confused, not drawing their weapons but hands on the hilts of their blades.

Edward relaxed for a moment. His eyes flicked from Aries to Giscela.

"My dear, does he tell the truth?"

Giscela pointed her arrow at Edward. The guard drew their swords.

"He does. Now tell your men to go."

Edward was flabbergasted.

"Giscela, what has changed? What did these charlatans do to you?"

"Go....now. I won't ask again."

Edward started to visibly shake, tears coming to his eyes. He was betrothed. He was supposed to marry Giscela and unite their Kingdoms. Now, it was crumbling before him. He would be the laughing stock of the nobility and cuckolded by an insignificant knight. He looked back at Aries and he had a scowl on his face. "You did something to her! You have violated her with cruel tricks and magic! I will not let you leave! I demand an explanation, knight or I will beat one out of you!"

Aries stepped back as Edward moved forward. This was not how it was supposed to go. There were supposed to be other knights. Where was his mentor? Did he even care about him anymore? Did Sargent Grant forget about him? He trained him and mentored him...how could he not be here when they thought he was dead?

Edward reached out and punched across Aries' jaw. The blow was just audible over Giscela 's gasp and Aries crumbled to the floor. The knight's ears rang, the nasty hit forcing Aries to stumble off to the side. Edward had a snarl on his face, one that would be more akin to a predator than anything else. Aries rolled, blood coming from his mouth since he bit his tongue on the way down.

"Edward, please...listen to reason," Aries said and held up his hands. "You must not let ang-"

Another punch but Aries ducked out of the way. Giscela yelled, the sound of metal being pulled from a scabbard as she lunged towards her lover. She pulled Edward off of Aries which gave the knight enough time to get up and move away. Edward swore, raising his hand towards Giscela and punched her across the cheek.

Aries reached down towards his belt and pulled out his blade. Anger, frustration, and rage fueled his body and fed his muscles. No one needed to get hurt. No one needed to die. He needed to defend himself. If blood had to be spilled, it was not going to be anyone that was under his watch.

Cadmus needed him. He was in his army, after all.

As Aries took out his sword, the human prayed to whatever was out there that Cadmus was close. He lunged forward and gave a yell as Edward was raising his hand for another strike to Giscela. The Princess was reaching for her knife in her belt. If he did not do something, more people were going to get hurt.

Aries started to go faster, his heart pumping blood with a rate that he had never felt before. Before he could reach the two, there was a loud thunk and Aries stumbled and fell against the stones. One of the King's guards had his bow out.

Aries' vision started to blur, heartbeat beginning to slow and it was like cotton was stuffed in his ears. He slumped against the rocks like he was just a bag of flour thrown off to the side.. Aries gasped, the air far too hard to bring into his lungs than it was just seconds before. Aries looked down, his leathers turning red and the shaft of an arrow buried deep into the center of his chest. Aries grimaced, coughed and blood ran down his chin and onto his chest.

Aries clutched at the arrow, feeling it with his fingers. This could not have been real. It was not supposed to end this way. He was supposed to tell the knights and be a hero. He still needed to find out why his dad was executed. He wanted to feel the water of the cave one last time.

Giscela screamed. The yell was so loud that Edward jumped and moved off of her but was too late to dodge the vicious punch that landed across his face. It was hard enough that Aries even grimaced.

"I am the Princess of King Terdun and I will have EACH of you beheaded and your bodies strung up for all to see if you do not go right now!"

"You have no authority here, wench!" Edward sneered. Aries, although slowly starting to feel his eyes growing heavy, chuckled to himself. They do have authority. Cadmus gave it to them. Aries closed his eyes and slowed his breathing. Time started to creep down to almost a halt. The knight started to search his mind, the strings of each person here sticking out and ready to be pulled. He took a deep breath and coughed, blood filling his mouth and rolling down his chin.

This was not how he wanted to die. Tears started to roll down his cheeks and he opened his mouth. He cursed the Gods and he cursed the Fates. He tried to call for help, for something to come down and explain that all of this was a terrible misunderstanding.

It came out as a sad gurgle, the blood that was filling his lungs being forced out of his broken body like a clock unwound and Aries' eyes grew even heavier as if there were weights tied to his eyelids. He held the arrow in his chest, feeling across it and could not believe it was still there. He needed to do something but he knew he was drowning. Rapidly losing energy, there was a voice in his head that told him he was not going to make it and Aries could only bend in the direction of his sword.

At that moment when all hope was lost, a string so bright and recognizable crossed through his plane of vision. Aries smiled, precious blood coming up and out from him. Edward looked at Aries like he was ludicrous, his eyes darting back to Giscela who had a snarl on her face.

The look alone was enough for Edward to dart back towards the army behind him. He did not know what was coming for him but it could not have been good. The sky started to turn black and the wind began to pick up as if a tempest was coming in. Aries' muscles pushed blood out which ran down his chin. Even if he were to die here, he was not forgotten. Someone was looking after him.

"LEAVE MY ARMY ALONE!"

A thunderclap roared through the valley. Trees buckled and snapped, the horses whinied with fear, and rocks were knocked off of the foundation of the cave. Aries looked up to the sky to see a bolt of lightning shoot down to the ground and land right by Edward's feet. Dirt splattered everywhere and the King's soldiers steadied themselves.

Giscela and Aries were awkstruck. It was as if the Gods themselves were going to bring their wrath down from the skys. Branches were picked up and thrown, the size of people and several rocks pelted the King's soldiers. Edward searched the sky.

"What is the meaning of this?! Show yourself!"

"As you wish."

Cadmus bolted down in a flash in front of Edward, his claws extended and he gripped the throat of the fiance to be. Blood started to pour down from the wound and Edward squeals turned into a gasp for air as the grip around his throat tightened. The King's guards aimed and fired. The arrows were picked up and swung around Cadmus' back. The guards stopped firing the arrows when they came back around to pierce the trees behind them.

Although the wind was raging in front of Giscela and Aries, it was completely calm where the King's Guard were. No movement and no wind. It was all funneled in front.

Cadmus was full of rage, his paw squeezing harder and Edward started to beat against Cadmus' wrist in weak and untargeted hits. Eventually, the punches stopped and Edward held the wrist in both of his hands. He tried to push the dragon's arm down but it was to no avail.

"Merrrrrcy!" Edward squeezed out of his closing throat. "Please, merrrrcy."

"Mercy? You deserve NO MERCY!"

He was begging and sobbing out as he struggled yet Cadmus continued to squeeze as the guards watched. Aries' joy turned to despair. The kind hearted Cadmus was replaced by rage filled and intense. Giscela knew herself, looking away and towards the entrance of his cave.

"Please, monster. Please stop!" One of the guards shouted and threw down his bow. The other one followed suit. Each of them had their eyes glued to the scene unfolding and each of them had their mouth open in horror.

Monster.

They thought he was a monster and Aries knew deep down that Cadmus was proving it. Even though he wanted to see Edward receive what he had coming to him, Aries knew that this would only get them more into trouble. They would forever be on the run. Aries blinked away the tears and looked over to see Giscela had a blank and shell-shocked look on her face. He wondered what was going through Aries croaked out, his mouth opening as he tried to tell Cadmus to stop. Giscela moved closer to Aries, crouching down and covering herself and him. The one thing she did not want Aries to see while he was dying was Cadmus in such a rage.

Aries' fingers twitched. He had to do something. He was a knight, a protector. Even when there was evil, he had to step in. Reaching his hand up and out towards Cadmus, Aries pulled on the jewel in his satchel. He used whatever energy that still laid within the crystal, draining it until the light inside grew faint and then disappeared.

Aries started to knead the energy into something familiar before he let it go out of him and into the cold air.

A small sparrow, one that could be held so gently in the palm of Cadmus' hand flew in front of him. His sapphire eyes reflected the golden light in his irises and his grip around Edward's throat lightened. Giscela looked up to Aries, her eyes reflecting the golden light coming from his fingers and reflecting in her emerald irises.

Edward fell to the ground, gasping and clutching his throat and backing away. The bird continued to fly, circling around and Aries did not have the energy to smile. Cadmus' string started to come into view and even though he could not see him, he could feel his friend and ally by his side standing by him. The bird landed on Cadmus' shoulder and Aries gasped weakly, his hand still out with a fading string still attached to the bird.

Cadmus, wordlessly brought his large paw forward and wrapped it around Aries hand. It was no longer warm. Cadmus had to do something; he had to save him. He had to save his little sparrow. Giscela got up from her position, facing the guards and clenching her fists.

"If you want to kill these two, you'll have to kill me..."

Giscela threw her bow off to the side and brandished her sword and the guards were unsure what to do.

Edward raised up his hand, covered in blood from the cuts on his neck. "Enough. I do not know what has happened here but...you three will face the King's judgement. Consider our marriage null and void, Princess."

Giscela was quiet and poised. Edward spat at the ground, his hand wrapped around his neck and holding them over his wound. His hand was already soaked red.

"Guards, we shall leave these two to the Gods and their precious lizard freak. They are sick..."

Edward then made eye contact with Giscela. "....and confused."

Taking one last look at Aries, there was a moment of hesitation. The knight, wounded and on the verge of death, had his hand pointed towards his sword. Even in his state, he still was looking to fight. There was a moment where Edward stopped, his side turned towards the trio.

Edward mounted his horse, taking one last look at the darkened sky and adjusted his dark black, flowing hair before there was a snap of the reins and he was away along with the rest of the guards. They rode off into the distance until they disappeared over the horizon.

STLwriter
STLwriter
175 Followers