Journey of Rick Heiden Ch. 31-32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The restaurant sat across Central Avenue from the Quadrātum. We sat on the sun-shaded roof of a sizable, Corinthian-columned affair with a hefty portico in front. Of all the qualities of the local architecture, I appreciated those most.

Our table supplied an expansive view of the edifices erected across the way. As we awaited our meals, Maggie gazed upon me and tipped her head in what I recognized as concern. I felt contemplative, an atypical mode for me while in her presence. I tamped down my thoughts and recollected my manners during luncheon. That may sound insincere, but I gave her a genuine smile. It pleased me to see her with us despite everything else.

"So, what do you think of Jiyū so far?" David asked her.

"I have no words besides, 'C'est magnifique' (It's magnificent)," she said.

"So, what enhancements did you get?" I asked her.

At that point, Aiden coughed, and I noted a wide-eyed, slight shake of his head.

I gazed at Aiden. "Okay." --I returned my attention to Maggie-- "You had me curious before, but now I must know. Did you have a problem? Are you okay?"

Maggie's gaze bounced from Aiden to the whole of our group. "I would like it known for the record that Aiden and I are not a couple." She emphasized the negation.

David, Laurel, and I looked upon them both, waiting for an explanation to such a non sequitur.

Maggie sighed with a roll of her eyes. "Aiden m'a demandé d'agrandir mes seins. (Aiden asked me to have my breasts enlarged)," said Maggie.

I gasped. "Oh, Aiden, why would you ask her that?"

Her French left David and Laurel out of the conversation, so I translated, and their reaction matched mine.

"Have the two of you broken up?" asked Laurel. "That seems quick."

"No. No, Laurel," Maggie said, "Aiden made the same mistake."

"I don't understand," said David.

Knowing Maggie as I did, I knew what happened. "Aiden mistook you for a couple."

"Précisément (Precisely)," she said.

"So," I said, "what did you say when he asked you to get Jiyū's equivalent of a boob job?"

"I laughed in his face."

"Hysterically," said Aiden.

We tried not to snicker at Aiden's expense, but it proved impossible.

"So," said David, "are the two of you no longer...ah...well, I don't know what."

"...having fun?" Laurel proffered.

"Of course, we are," said Maggie, putting her hand on Aiden's. "Aiden and I do not have a relationship, so he hasn't the right to make such requests of me, but I do care about him. Besides, the sex is amazing."

Aiden's face suddenly took on a smug little expression that anyone could have deciphered.

"Well, Aiden," I said, "no relationship or a forthcoming boob job. Are you devastated?"

"I think I could recover." Aiden failed the humility test, but if what we heard through closed doors indicated anything, we had every reason to believe Maggie.

David brought the conversation back to more immediate matters. "What sort of tracking device will you attach to the drone?"

"We can build a powerful radio beacon that emits a signal Rom can track," said Aiden. "We'll bond it to the hull and see what happens."

"Do you think the Americans have cleared the stones from the portal?" asked Maggie.

"I should think that's a priority," I said. "Major Palmer won't give up."

"Not that uncovering it is enough," said Laurel. "The portal on Earth has phased out. Depending on the state of the portal at this end, the troops here could take the reconnaissance data back to Earth with ease."

Due to Maggie's absence from the conversation the previous day, we informed her about the pylon and its diamond. It reminded David of his promise to take me to the museum to see them. We knew Laurel and Aiden had plans for the drone after lunch, so we invited Maggie to join us.

On the way, Maggie told us of the enhancements she got at the temple. For someone Maggie's shade of liberal, she kept her choices conservative. She received the communication enhancement and fertility control as matters of practicality, but nothing else.

"That was a cautious and measured decision," said David, "I'm impressed."

"The list had many irreversible enhancements," she said. "So, I thought it best to give them further consideration."

"You shock me, Maggie," I said. "I thought you would jump on the Forever Young enhancement. Any reason for the reticence?"

"It tempted me," she said, "and I placed it on the top of my list. But I'm young; it can wait."

We arrived at the trio of buildings that made up the annulus-disk-shaped complex at Bragi College. Many students enjoyed the courtyard in the center between buildings, despite the heat. Its garden and shaded seating area seemed an inviting and relaxed atmosphere. The flower garden in its variety of colors bloomed on occasion throughout the year.

They made the first four floors of building A the museum. The well-curated exhibition displayed its artifacts in chronological order, with the pylon and diamond in a place of prominence on the first floor.

When we entered, an employee named Hiroshi asked if we needed any help. David smiled to see him and gave him a hug. He looked rather handsome and of Japanese ancestry --if appearances meant anything. David introduced us, and when he revealed how he knew Hiroshi, I didn't know what to say. Hiroshi was David's first boyfriend. They had dated for a jear but decided to opt for friendship.

Laurel was right; the diamond came from the pylon. It contained a hole near the top with a metallic tension setting to both hold and display the diamond.

"I see they reinstalled the diamond into the pylon," I said.

"We used an exact replica," said Hiroshi, "and hid the real diamond for safekeeping."

The pylon, a four-sided obelisk-like object, four feet in height, had a different written language on each side. I did not recognize any of them, but it reminded me of the Rosetta Stone, an idea even Maggie vocalized.

The people of Jiyū had a limited history of the pylon. They kept it in the temple with the portal for millennia. Someone long ago, during the era when Jiyū had leaders, felt that it presented an excellent centerpiece for the city. When they built the town square, they placed it there so everyone could see it, rather than have it hidden away at the temple where few people saw it. After Amaré made Prime, they moved the pylon to the museum as a more appropriate venue.

Maggie viewed the diamond with extreme interest, studying the replica in close detail through the lighted magnifying glass that stood before it.

"Oh, mon dieu," she whispered in awe. "C'est le Sancy (Oh my God, it's the Sancy)."

"What did you just say?" asked David.

"She says it's the Sancy," I said in shock. "You are the second person to say that word today."

"What's the Sancy?" asked Hiroshi.

"It's one of Earth's most famous and valuable diamonds," she said. "Royal families passed it around for centuries, but the Louvre has it now. I saw it there many times with the crown jewels when I studied in Paris. The lighting here is different, of course, but this is the Sancy. I'm sure of it."

David examined the diamond. "They put it in the Louvre, you say?" asked David, whose face went pale. "Oh, no."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"A book of the Louvre lies upon Pearce's desk."

David grew frantic and insisted we leave. We thanked Hiroshi and left for Teresa's former residence. Its distance from the campus didn't require Venn's assistance, so we would walk.

Maggie stopped just beyond the courtyard while we made a shortcut. "No, I cannot," she said. "I hurt too much."

"I'm so sorry," I said, placing a helping hand beneath her elbow. "I got caught up in the moment and forgot. Let me take you to the penthouse."

"Are you sure, Rick?" asked David, who stood several paces ahead of us.

"Yes, you don't need me to confirm it. I know you must go, but I must do this."

"I could go to the penthouse alone," she said. "I know how to find a bed."

"You've not met Mason," I said, "and you require an introduction."

David nodded. "You're right, of course. I will meet you there with the book."

After David had hurried away, Maggie spoke up. "You do not have to do this. I am fine."

"I know, my dear, but I already feel neglectful by leaving you at the temple. Besides, I need to speak with you alone." I tapped behind my ear.

"Oh? What is wrong?"

I spoke to Iris and called for Venn to retrieve us from the closest corner behind us. Maggie's gaze held mine. "There's a growing list," I said. "Should I start at the top?"

She already knew some of it. She didn't know David wanted to return to Earth without me, but she expected it. She had heard Pearce's mother died that morning but didn't know I held her at the time and expressed her sorrow to hear of the incident; she knew it would upset me. I told her about the red flag of the population decline I realized at Laurel's lab the previous night. After I had spoken so highly about Jiyū, the red flag interested her, but Venn arrived, placing the conversation on hold.

My reluctance to talk in Venn's presence required addressing, if for no other reason than my comfort level, and I decided the time had come. En route, I asked him if he would answer a few questions, and he agreed to.

"On Earth, privacy is a delicate issue," I said. "You must remain cautious about what you say, depending on your location and company."

"Yes," said Venn, "I have heard that, and you wish to know my privacy directives."

"That's both astute and succinct of you."

"Thank you," he said. "Unlike some synthetics, I am not bound by confidentiality directives any more than you. One City has a group of five synthetics like me. We have freedom unfettered by the constraints of our programming, like the anthromorph you call Mason."

"You know Mason?" I asked.

"Oh yes, we are well acquainted," he said. "He is young and requires guidance. I assisted him with his interface this morning, surmounting great obstacles to improve his appearance, mind you. He told me of your displeasure with his first attempt, and after having witnessed it myself, I could understand why."

"Who is Mason?" asked Maggie.

"He's...well, I'm not sure in what capacity I should refer to him just yet. He's part of the Hestia project. That's about all I can say.

You say, Venn, that you are not bound by confidentiality any more than me. Are you programmed to act with honor and keep your word?"

"No more than you," he said, as we pulled into the lay-by at the front of our building. "Like any reasonable person, however, I can understand the benefit of honor and the keeping of one's word. I also know something delicate; trust easily made, is easily broken. One earns trust, and I don't expect anyone to give it for free. My circumstance on the topic mirrors your own. If humans consider that enough with another human, why not accept it as sufficient between humans and synthetics such as me?"

If what he said was true, I had only one thing left to know. "Venn, do you value the trust others have in you?"

"Yes, I place enormous value in that trust."

I smiled. "That's good enough for me, and I promise I will do my utmost to earn your trust as well. Thank you, Venn." I ushered Maggie from the transport.

Venn stated for clarity, "It concerns you whether I would trust you."

"Of course," I said, "I want your trust, and I expect to earn it. You sound surprised."

"I am. You are the third human ever to express any concern about whether I trusted them. For everyone else, they seem to expect it."

"That seems unfair of them," said Maggie.

"It unsettles me to hear that, Venn."

"Amaré was right," he said. "You are different."

I smiled. "Amaré was just generous."

"I trust Amaré's judgment," said Venn. "I'm inclined to trust yours, but you have yet further to go."

My smile broadened. "I understand, and I will enjoy the challenge. Do have a pleasant day."

"The same to you. Maggie, I enjoyed seeing you once again. You know how to reach me if you require my services."

Maggie thanked him, and with that, he left. Venn amazed me, and I wanted to know him better in the future.

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

I wouldn't have considered Venn's solution to Mason's façade problem; I would have started over. However, Venn corrected the parts of his face that made him appear distorted. A reasonable modification in the jawline, cheekbones, eye size, nose size, and hair alleviated enough of the flaws. It resulted in a face pleasant to view and natural in appearance. Mason was relieved that I accepted it.

The penthouse impressed Maggie, although as a French woman, I believed she would have had a greater appreciation of the former Second Empire decor. She couldn't climb the staircase to the second level due to the pain she felt. So, I tested the results of my exercise regimen. To my amazement, I picked her up with no difficulty and carried her to our guest bedroom. I laid her on the bed, while I sat in a chair next to her. Although tired, she wanted to hear about the red flag I mentioned.

Several things bothered me since our arrival, but mostly that red flag. I relayed what happened, and Maggie agreed it sounded curious. Gabe overreacted, but his harsh tone changed quickly. Evident to me, the subject caused him some intense emotions. Maggie's eyelids proved too heavy during our conversation, which resulted in talking to myself, so I left her to rest.

Sitting on the couch, the box of Pearce's journals enticed me from the coffee table of our private sitting room. I considered waiting until David returned before opening them, but I couldn't. Each book contained 600 pages. I opened book seven, and as I leafed backward through it, searching for page 584, I discovered a skip. Someone sliced the leaf containing pages 583 and 584 from the book with a blade. I believed Neal when he spoke of its notability, and I didn't think he removed the page himself. I wasted no time. I tapped behind my ear and asked Iris to connect me with Neal.

"Ah! News already?" asked Neal. "How industrious of you."

"Can you talk?" I asked.

"Not now, no," he said. "I'm in the middle of a cut with two waiting, and my considerable talents will have me in demand for the rest of the day. I could cut your hair tomorrow."

"What? Oh, I see," I said, "it's for the clients. Just listen then. Somebody cut Page 584 from the book."

There came a slight pause. "That's distressing," Neal said in dismay, and then he recalled who surrounded him. "Ah...well, you should never try to cut your own hair, dear."

"You know what the page says, so if it's important, you'll have to tell us. When can we meet you?"

"The shop closes at 17 hundred, but I understand you have an emergency, so I'll make an exception. Come to the shop then, and I'll take care of your problem."

"By the way," I said, "The Sancy is a famous diamond in the Louvre."

He gasped. "Fascinating...we can talk about that when you arrive."

"Okay, see you then."

Mason busied himself with the care of the pool, and Maggie still lay unconscious in her bed when David returned. He bounded up the staircase, dropped the book on the table next to the others, and wrapped me in a loving embrace. We had a long, stressful morning, but as we had only reached a little after mid-day, we had plenty of the day left.

For as pleasurable as it felt to have David's arms around me, I needed to know. "I've waited for almost two hours for you. What took so long?"

"Taking care of business," he said. "Have you any idea how much I love you?"

He kept hold of me, but I pushed him away just far enough to see his face. "Yes, I'm well aware," I said, "and what's put you in butter mode?"

"Can't I tell my mate how much I love him without accusations of an ulterior motive?"

"Yes, of course. I'll take your professions of love for me whenever I can get them, but you do have an ulterior motive, don't you?"

"Not this time," he said with a little smile. "As expected, Maggie was correct. It looks identical to the diamond in the Louvre, and somehow Pearce figured that out, which had me thinking. Someone ought to go to Earth to check for recent burglaries of the Louvre."

"Quite prudent," I said. "Do you think you should go?"

"No, the British Government awaits my return, and they will expect me to stay. I'm not prepared to do that. Magnar has visited Earth before, so he volunteered to go."

"I see. Well, I also have news. Someone removed the page Neal referred to from the book."

"It's missing?" David let me go and went to the book.

"I contacted Neal, and we will meet him at his shop at 17 hundred hours. Any objections?"

David shook his head. "No, that's fine. That will give us time to run a few errands and have a meal with Amaré before 17 hundred."

"Amaré wants to see us, why?"

"He didn't say."

David flipped through book seven. He questioned why they would remove just that one leaf. Why not take the whole book? They took book eight, what's one more? He sat on the sofa and opened book seven to the missing page. He scanned several of the corresponding pages to know if it alluded to the content of the one missing. If it did, the pertinent parts remained indecipherable. As he read, David discovered something a little sinister. He knew Teresa told Pearce of his father just after his 25th birthday. He found where Pearce admitted to psychologically squeezing his mother, forcing her to reveal the name of his father. There, in Pearce's handwriting, David could see the evidence in black and white.

David tossed the book to the table and moved to hug me. "What made me so important in Pearce's life that he would hide his real self from me?"

"I don't know, but perhaps Pearce did love you."

"Maybe."

As we readied ourselves to run errands, Aiden arrived. He said Laurel would finish with the drone and release it. I thought that should already have happened given the time that had passed. He looked a bit tired and distracted. I asked if he felt okay, and he told me he could use a shower and a nap. I introduced him to Mason, who suggested he could provide both Aiden and Maggie with a tour of the building. I had little doubt that when Maggie awakened, she and Aiden would have other things in mind that would delay any other concerns.

I wanted us to normalize our lives by integrating ourselves into One City life. In his youth, David biked a great deal, so it seemed reasonable for us to bike when possible. David retrieved his street bike from storage. It needed maintenance from 50 jears of non-use. So, despite the heat, we walked it to the nearest bike shop to have it serviced. I chose a bike for myself there from the many they had. The typical bicycle on Jiyū did not have air-filled rubber tires, spokes, a chain, or even hand breaks. After choosing a sleek red bike, and receiving David's street-ready black one, we ran our errands for necessities.

We visited Svend's tailor shop to order clothes. Svend's test subject for the new Trust uniform identical to David's declared it needed a redesign. Svend made it of the wrong material for summer, and David concurred. This caused Svend to make Trust uniforms for a variety of weather conditions and had done so with the help of a weapons master and a master cobbler. Word had gotten out, and the news generated much interest in them. He had already received many orders for Trust uniforms that matched the one David wore in dark charcoal with royal blue. Svend assured David he would get the definitive version once he began filling orders.

David and I met Amaré for fourth meal at a restaurant called René's down the street from Neal's shop in the Parisian district. We had not appropriately dressed for a restaurant with the refinement of that caliber. I figured our attire would garner a quick ejection from the building; on Earth, that certainly would have happened.