Joy in Bed Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion to the story.
6.6k words
4.35
2.4k
00

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/10/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-Katie

It has been 2 months and slowly Jim has faded away. It all started when I asked him, "I'm curious to see how you feel things are going?" I could tell he wasn't comfortable answering the question. He hid behind humor and called me his girl.

Jim was excellent at talking but not saying anything, committing but not to a timeline. I thought it was fair to ask because I was putting my life on hold for him but now I realize it was too soon. He was coming out of a bad marriage that he stayed in for too long. He was adamant about not leaving Florida because of his daughters. He was sure to point out that he had turned down advancement opportunities so he could be in his daughters' lives. I didn't get any indications he was serious about our relationship besides claiming that he wasn't sleeping with anyone and that eroded, too. Jim never brought up visiting Cincinnati and as I saw things deteriorating, I didn't press.

After asking about our status he started to slip away in stages. The first sign was when he moved our movie night to Thursday. When pressed, he explained on Friday nights he would be going out with coworkers to network. Then next to fade was his texts, and replying with one-word answers. Last to go was his FaceTime calls. As Jim pulled away I went on with my life. I wasn't going to sit on the sidelines like a wallflower pining for him. After 3 weeks, I was dating and in a month I was intimate with another partner. I would not allow myself to languish on hurt feelings. I felt everyone had saved face. I convinced myself that it was better this way rather than if Jim had torn the bandage away with a break-up conversation.

When it was quiet and I had time to think, I missed what we had. The sex was amazing. He anticipated my needs and put them before his own. The thing I missed most was our playfulness and banter. I was not able to find that connection with another. It wasn't really important to me until I lost it.

-Jim

Yeah, things went downhill with Katie. She asked me, "I am curious to see how you feel things are going?"

It was the perfect trap question. I had done some soul searching before she brought it t up. The reality is this thing we had didn't have legs. What we had was amazing but unrealistic to maintain. If I wasn't going to move to better my career, I was too grounded to move for an unproven relationship. She understood I was not mobile and Florida wasn't in her cards. She was proud of the career she had built for herself at the law firm. She was the most coveted paralegal in the firm. It was understandable that she couldn't just walk away. I picked up when she let it slip that the sand, heat, and humidity of Florida was disagreeable. She was special and for all I knew she could have been the one, but also, it was too soon and too fast. I hung in there for a couple of months but things didn't get better. I didn't think it was fair for either of us to visit and string this fairytale along. We faded and I was dating. I met some amazing women that kissed away the ouchy of leaving her behind. There were a few nights when my thoughts raced, Katie floated into my mind. I wasn't quick to dispel those memories. She was an important part of who I had evolved into.

-One Year Later, Jim

I am in Phoenix doing some extensive hiring so I was going to be in town for a bit. The company had been gracious enough to put me up in corporate temporary housing versus staying in a hotel. What they couldn't replace was my social life. I had built up a fair amount of 'friends'. I credit Katie for waking that side of me. Surprisingly, Alex had hit me up via a DM through social media. Initially I was perturbed that I hadn't cleaned up my tracks very well after Katie. She was very attractive, and my prospects were slim. She was hoping to catch up over dinner. It didn't take an arm twisting for me to agree. There was a twinge of dirtiness that hit me because we had met when Katie and I were seeing each other. I wrote those feelings off because I have had zero contact with Katie for just outside a year. Also, as we distanced from our time together, I downgraded what we had to a fling.

After a few texts, we agreed to have Mexican and just as friends. If I were in her shoes I'd be cautious, too. I hooked up with her friend and let her go. No doubt that would be the narrative from Katie's side. There was an element that had me question Alex's motives. I wrote those off too because well, I had a penis and was thinking with it. It was easy to hide behind the label 'Just as friends'.

We met up for dinner on a Friday night. Phoenix is known for its Mexican food and I couldn't get enough of it. I arrived first pushing aside any fashionably late bullshit thoughts. I needed to fly straight as an arrow. Alex showed and I tentatively flagged her down. Her athletic build was every bit as attractive as I had remembered from when I first met her. Her dirty blonde hair had grown out. She wore it down, framing her face. I am a huge sucker for eyes and those big baby browns sucked me in. Her outfit did not scream 'Friend'. She had taken the time to gussy up. She had a cute black spaghetti strapped dress. It was low cut enough to hint at cleavage. The lower hem was an inch above her tan knees. Her tan muscular legs were the sexiest I had seen in a long time. After leering I greeted her, "Wow, Alex you look great. Thanks for the invite to dinner." I flashed my boyish smile. I had become very adept at disarming women with my grin. It wasn't something I used often in adulthood so I never leaned on it now in my single days.

"Good to see you too. You seem to be holding up pretty good." She flashed her radiant smile. Her words had a "Down boy," effect. The dance begins.

She was more than pretty, she was gorgeous. Perhaps I had fuck goggles on because she had to be just as attractive as Katie. We chatted about her kids and how they were doing. I made sure to make solid eye contact and expressed body language to let her know 'Friendly' was not my end game. She broke eye contact often. This made it hard to get a good read off of her. If we ended parting our separate ways, I wouldn't be mad. She truly was good company. While not as playful as... Ugh, need to stop thinking about and comparing her to Katie. Alex was charming and warm, something any man would be drawn to. She played down several of my complements and put the sword in my heart when she mentioned, "Jim it is so refreshing to be able to hang out with you. I hope we stay friends and hope we can continue to hang out like besties."

Ouch, the friend zone. It was all good. I eased up on my flirting knowing definitely one night wasn't going to break down the serious wall she just threw up. I downshifted but didn't totally let up. She needed to know I respected her feelings but again that friendship wasn't my end game. She threw me for a huge loop when she brought up Katie, unsolicited. I bit and asked how she was doing. Alex brought me up to speed about her life. I didn't have any ill will so I listened attentively. It was a little weird. She was going at great length playing up Katie. I started to suspect her ulterior motive. I let out a huge sigh. "Alex, what is tonight about?" I cut to the chase.

Alex grinned, "Whatever do you mean Jim?" She raised an eyebrow and exposed her palms, feigning innocence.

"Okay, Alex I see your game. Katie and I were done a year ago. Let's let that lie. If that means we can't be friends, I get it." My smile was very uneasy boarding petulance. I leaned back, disengaging from the setup.

"No Jim, we can be friends. I see you as a friend and that is why I bring her up. I know she is not as happy as when she was with you." There was no coyness left, just honest concern.

"No, I get it. I look back very fondly about our time together." I stopped Alex because she saw blood in the water and was ready to pounce.

I lowered my finger that I had used to thwart her encroachment. "It just was an impossible situation. Orlando and Cincinnati are not a stone's throw away. We both have our careers and lives."

Now my body language started to display frustration. My shoulders hunched forward, my gaze became steely as I peered up through the tops of my eyes as my chin dropped. "I live in the real world and what we had was a fairytale."

With that, I pulled my money clip out and flipped bills out on the table to pay for dinner and a tip. "I really enjoyed the evening Alexandra. You are a charming woman. It's a shame I will not get a chance to know you better."

Alex got up and cut me off. "Jim don't, please stay." She could see she had negatively affected me and that her plans were going up in flames.

She wanted to make sure she didn't damage things beyond repair. "Jim, can we just talk. Yes, it was unfair I lured you here. Let's try this again." She paused, studying my face.

I was no longer making eye contact, I would no longer face her. "Alexandra, perhaps another night. I appreciate you being a good friend. But I really hoped you would give us a chance."

"Jim, I can't... I never could do that to Katie. Please just think about it. Think about what you had and remember how special it was. I saw you two together and it may sound corny but it made me believe in love again." Sorrow filled her eyes. She was on the verge of crying.

"Alex, I can do that." I quipped because I had to make the crying stop before it started. That was my Achilles heel.

"No Jim, promise me, "she pleaded, making me feel increasingly uncomfortable.

My shoulders let down and I made eye contact, "Okay Alex, I promise to think about it." I hugged her and started to make my way out. I halted in my tracks and doubled back, "Then what, what then Alex?"

She took a minute to poise herself, "Katie is coming for a visit. I hope that we can at least have dinner together." She pitched confidently.

I pressed my lips together, "I promise I will think about it." I left and left my thoughts behind. I thought about it and I didn't want to retread old tires. I intended to ghost her.

Once I got back to my apartment I blocked Alex off of my social media account. This is what I get for being lazy and not tying up loose ends. After a quick shower, I laid in bed and my mind began to race. I rehashed what Katie and I had. It truly was special. The problem was I ended up facing the same roadblocks. Finally, I noticed my thoughts weren't as sharp, sleep was not too far off.

The next morning I was up at my usual time making my kale, carrot, berry, protein smoothie, and sifting through email. My mind had processed and moved on from Katie and Alex. As I left my apartment, I let out one long exhale as if to excise any residue so that I could focus on the day ahead.

Easier said than done. During interviews, my mind drifted to memories of Katie at the airport, Katie drinking cosmopolitans, Katie swimming in the pool, Katie joking, Katie, Katie, Katie. I was starting to get upset. During lunch, I meditated to try to find my center. When that failed, I admitted to myself that I missed her and wanted to give it one more chance. Quickly I unblocked Alex and DM," Sorry had some personal issues, did you reach out?" Nothing. Alex was at work so it wasn't a surprise that I didn't get anything back. As I walked out of the breakout room. Alex pinged me.

"No, did you want to talk? Sorry to hear about your personal problems."

"Okay after work,6. Thanks."

This was the release I needed. I was able to focus and I felt comfortable with the direction I was going in with Katie.

"Hey Alex, can you talk?" It was after hours and I was still in the office.

"Hey yeah."

"Call?"

"Sure."

"Hey, Alex. So, I've been thinking. And, yes, I will meet with Katie. I indeed miss her more than I care to admit."

Alex made a happy gasp, "Great, I can't wait to talk to Katie and get her on board."

"Alex... She doesn't know?" I rolled my eyes and was getting flustered.

"Well no, but I know her. I know what she has let slip and what she has confided in me. Trust me, Jim, this isn't some wild goose chase. You were the wildcard."

"Okay, I will wait to hear from you." I sighed and we said our goodbyes.

It didn't take long to hear from Alex. She arranged for us to meet at Merc. I thought she was trying too hard to catch lightning in a bottle by going back to Merc. Eh... I trusted Alex. Night of, I found myself nervous. I really didn't focus on a positive outcome, just being able to leave whole. It was just an uncomfortable situation. I arrived at Merc and found them sitting to the right. Katie had her back to me and I snuck up behind her. From behind she looked beautiful in her sundress. Katie was always a stunning dresser. Alex smiled, I could smell Joy as I approached Katie and goosed her right butt cheek. She popped up and looked over at me in surprise. We stood there for what felt like an eternity. I had a warm smile on my face and waited to see how she would react. She threw her arms around me, "Come here, you dirty old man."

She leaned in for a heartfelt embrace. Ah, those breasts. Those pillowy breasts still had their hold on me. Once we finished our hug she punched me in the shoulder for goosing her. Our chemistry had picked up where we had left off. It felt good. I made my way over to Alex and hugged her and goosed her because I didn't want her to feel left out. That earned me my first ever 'Stereo Punch'. This consisted of my right and left shoulder getting some negative attention from the lady's fists, simultaneously. It was playful. I hit it back over the net by acting super surprised that my action warranted a reaction. I turned to Alex, "Alex, Merc? You are a very unoriginal Cupid."

"Not fair, I wanted to get a good cosmopolitan. Seems to me you promised a better one in Orlando... Wrong." Katie was in rare form. She must have been a couple drinks in. She laughed and it was charming.

"Ugh, I don't know. I trusted Google." I sighed, slowly rolled my eyes finishing their roll connecting with Katie's eye, "But they got the job done. They got you in my bed." I flashed a huge shit-eating grin and winked.

Stereo punch, gasps, and then giggles. "That would've happened either way. It wasn't like I had another place to stay." She smirked.

Throwing my hands up, "Fine you win, I don't need to ply alcohol to get you into bed... So you can stop drinking now."

Stereo punch, bigger gasps, and then laughter. The night went on with lots of laughter and flirting. The biggest stereo punch I received was from offering to service both of them for free when they complained about waiting for services, like oil changes. It was getting late and I didn't want the night to end. I glanced down at my watch a few times. Alex reacted by excusing herself to use the bathroom. She insisted on going by herself when Katie tried to do that bullshit where women go to the bathroom in pairs. As Alex left she winked over at me, this was well choreographed. I flashed her a knowing smile over Katie's shoulder. This wingman exchange drew Katie's attention and she looked over at Alex with an expression letting on she knew we were up to no good.

Once Alex was out of sight, I shifted the mood. "Hey, it is really good to see you again." I reached over to hold Katie's hands that were resting on the table. "It reminds me of how good we are together." I gave her my best, "I want to take you to bed," look.

"Yes, those were some good days." She broke eye contact and pulled her hands away. She adjusted her body so we were no longer squared up.

My smile vanished knowing I had hit a nerve. My boyish charm was not going to work my way into her panties tonight. I always valued my integrity, so I wasn't going to lie my way into bed with her. Reaching over, I gently pulled her hands back into mine forcing her to square up again. She was a little unnerved by my forwardness but relaxed once she saw my intentions. "I know, I pulled away last time. We faced some geography challenges that I just couldn't see past. Another big issue was I just wasn't ready for a relationship." I took a moment to gather my thoughts. I continued to hold Katie's attention. "But I wasn't able to find this... This chemistry is so rare."

Katie engaged to help me out. She could see I was pouring my heart out. "I agree. I was not able to find it either." She paused and then took another path," But I was able to find men mature enough to see things through."

Yikes, that was a crushing blow, "You're right, I got scared. It was too much and too fast for that point in my life. Here is the thing, I feel like there can be a second chance for us. I can't promise and I won't promise things will go perfectly. I won't expect you to be exclusive but I would love to have a second chance and if the offer is still out there I would love to visit Cincinnati." I threw my hands up. "I'll stay in a hotel."

She silently contemplated my gesture. Her body language and facial expression had me worried. I couldn't get a read. Alex walked up chipper. "What have you two love birds been talking about?" Her smile was disarming which helped lighten the mood.

I let out a defeated sigh, "Ladies it's getting late. Would you like me to walk you to your cars or are you staying back?" I smiled letting on that there were no hurt feelings.

Alex's smile faded. She knew from my expression that things didn't go well and mustered up some words to keep the night flowing. "Umm, it's been a wonderful night but I'm done for the night. How about you Katie?"

"Yes, It is getting late." No smile.

I excused myself to use the restroom real quick, looked for our waitress, and paid the bill. Returning to our table I told them we were good to leave. They thanked me for paying but no undercarriages will be serviced in return. That infused some much-needed humor. We started to walk to their car and I grabbed both their hands, "I just want to look like a lucky stud getting to leave the bar with the 2 hottest ladies in the bar. Maybe three-some lucky?" Stereo punch... Giggles... Hugs as we got to Alex's car. "Ladies please get home safely and remember this mechanic works 24/7 so..." Stereo punch and laughter.

"Hmm, come to think of it I haven't had a good servicing in over a year. Is there an opening tonight?" Katie looked over a little timid. It wasn't a side I was used to seeing. It was adorable and melted my heart.

"Um, ok, great." I was on my heels. Regaining my composure, "Katie, I'd love to spend some time with you." I dropped the act, knowing I needed to continue to earn a second chance.

Alex was happy, overjoyed. "Okay you kids have fun." Turning to Katie, "I'll see you tomorrow, hun?"

Katie took my arm, "Yes for sure. And, Alex, thank you." She left my side to hug Alex. It was a long warm embrace.

"Hey seeing you both swept up in eachothers arms, looking all hot, reminded me my garage has a double bay. I specialize in dual servings, so..." I tightened lips, tilted my head, and widened my eyes, and hoped for an affirmation.

Stereo punch.

I held Katie as we waved goodbye and watched Alex drive off. A wave of deja vu washed over me. I leaned in to initiate a kiss, blazing a new trial. This time I was going to learn from my mistakes. She pulled into me, we melted into one. There was no need to escalate beyond a closed-lip kiss. It was a perfect kiss. The car ride to my place was quiet. I stole several glances. It felt like a dream. She smiled coyly and didn't turn to face me. We arrived at my place. Before we got out of the car I looked over," We don't have to tonight. I mean, I would be just happy talking and holding you."

She smirked and evasively chirped, "Okay."

I shook my head asking for more of an explanation. When none was offered, I got out of the car. Katie was already out, so no goosing. We hooked arms and walked to my place. I opened the door and gestured to her to enter. She walked in. I went to give her the rundown of the place but she kept walking. My voice faded off. I knew what was next but it still had the same wondering effect on me as the original instance. She walked straight to my bedroom, smiled at me, and slipped behind the door.

12