Judicial Punishment Lottery

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What happened?"

"Well, the cops were in hysterics to be honest watching the two of us completely failing to hide the stupid thing behind us when they stopped us. They told us to put it back and I think that would have been that but some fucking inspector or something showed up and told them to give us a ticket. They were pretty apologetic about it."

"Yea?"

"Well same thing, we both got a fixed penalty. The cops did us a favour and cited us for a Breach of the Peace instead of a Theft of council property, so we only got twelve with the strap and a two-hour public shaming."

"Twelve! Holy shit."

"Yea, we fell foul of some dumb new no tolerance thing, you know "Keep Our Streets Safe" and that sort of pish."

Shone looked at the girl, "What was the shaming like?"

"Bit of a doddle really. Takes a bit of getting used to, and my arse was fucking stinging, but you pretty much just switch your brain off and daydream until it's done. If you're lucky other shit will be happening, and the crowd will be distracted. I got lucky, there was one of those public information notices in view and the messages kept changing, so I just kept reading that. I barely noticed when my time was done, and the guy had to shake my shoulder. He knew what was happening of course, seen it often enough I guess, he seemed to think it was pretty funny."

She turned to Shona, "If you want my advice, try and get someone to be there at the end for you and just go with the flow. Try and be nice to the folks doing it if you can, a lot of folks shout, make a fuss and call them names and stuff and they'll notice if you're decent to them. They probably won't go any easier on you but sometimes you might get a smile or a kind word at least, and it really makes a difference when you're up there. Hell, one of them gave me a sip of water when I asked him nicely. Wouldn't give me too much in case I needed to pee, but he was okay."

"Thanks Marcia, that's good advice."

She grinned, "It'll be okay you know, whatever happens will pass and you'll be done. Hey, what are you planning to do to celebrate?"

"Celebrate?"

"Well, I got a bit of advice from someone I knew who went through the same thing. She said just waiting for the day to loom up was bloody nerve-wracking so I should make a plan to celebrate afterwards, I mean you'll probably sleep all day immediately afterwards cos it's pretty exhausting, both physically and emotionally, but the next day? Maybe you should plan on say, ordering a Chinese or something, drinking a bottle of good wine you buy specially, maybe watching a movie, anything really. It's making the plan that takes your mind off shit."

"If I order a Chinese and get wine would you guys come round? I'd like that?"

"Will you show us your arse?"

"Patricia!"

The girl laughed, "It's nothing sexual. It's, I dunno, I'm just really curious."

Shona laughed for probably the first time since the whole horrible train of events started, "Tell you what, you buy the wine and if you get me drunk enough I just might."

"Oh, that's a deal!"

Joyce, one of the older of the nurses who had come round piped in, "I'll pick you up and take you there. I won't stick around for the gubbins, cos I'm a bit of a softie and I'll just start crying, either that or I end up punching one of the gawkers, but I'll be there at the end and give you a lift home if you like."

Shona couldn't help but give her a hug, "Thanks Joyce, I really appreciate it."

Marcia opened another bottle of wine, "Right, but in the meantime, we're not on shift tomorrow so let's get shitfaced!"

The next two days passed all too quickly. Shona had arranged for a couple of days off after the event and had bought a jar of special cold cream as well as laid in a supply of pain killers, just in case.

On the morning of the day of her appointment, she laid out the clothes she planned to wear as she ran the shower. Thinking on the advice in the leaflet she laid out a simple grey tracksuit and a hooded fleece, for underwear she selected a simple matching bra and knickers set, nothing very special, but the knickers were light and loose-fitting, which given she expected her bum to be stinging a bit she had thought something comfortable was probably a good idea.

After her shower, she braided her hair and then checked herself out in the mirror. She was a curvy little five-foot-two brunette. Her breasts were still okay she thought, a bit big maybe, but pretty firm. Her ass was a little plump these days, but not too bad. She'd tried to keep up with the gym, but shiftwork just blew that out of the water so the only thing she did to keep fit nowadays was work too hard, for too many hours.

She didn't have any piercings except her earrings, and she took them off. She didn't normally wear much in the way of jewellery and she didn't bother wearing any today. Shona took a small purse-handbag but apart from her housekeys all it contained was an unopened bottle of water and a still sealed packet of ibuprofen. She stuffed her bank card and mobile phone in her pocket and that was her ready. She had no appetite but made herself eat a light breakfast, fainting due to a drop in blood sugar would not be a good thing today she thought.

Joyce arrived a few minutes later.

The corrections facility was adjacent to the court building. After parking up Joyce walked with her towards the entrance, passing the platform where an array of pillories and stocks were emplaced. Large wall-screen displays were set up for the viewing pleasure of those at the back of the crowd and a couple of technicians were going over equipment and wiring. The whole place was covered by a multitude of CCTV cameras.

Her appointment for registration and processing was an hour prior to her time of punishment but being too nervous to wait she had shown up even earlier.

The reception area was modern but stark, with a row of plastic seats fixed along one wall and only a few public service posters for decoration. A woman in a custody corrections uniform stood near a metal door off to one side.

The receptionists looked up as the two entered. Both were women, one middle-aged and the other younger. The older was typing something into a computer so it was the younger who spoke,

"Good morning, may I help you?"

Shona swallowed and stammered nervously, "I'm here, erm, I'm here to be punished."

"I see, do you have your correction citation and your identification please?"

Shona produced the documents, and the woman typed a few keys on the computer.

"You're a little bit early, but that's okay," the woman smiled, "you must be nervous I imagine. That's perfectly normal. The registration process is computerised for the most part so there are no forms these days. Once you go through for processing, you'll be asked a number of questions, mostly related to health and whatnot. You'll be photographed, weighed and your measurements taken."

The woman pointed towards a metal door. "Once I call a corrections officer you will be taken into custody and through that door. Now at that point, your legal status changes from "free" to that of being a "custody". That means you are no longer free to go about your business and we become responsible for your security and wellbeing. You will be placed in handcuffs and obliged to follow all lawful orders given to you. Failure to comply may result in a punitive action as our officers are authorised to use officially recognised pain compliance techniques for enforcement purposes if necessary."

The receptionist waved to the guard who wandered over. "As you can see the corrections officer carries a number of quite formidable items attached to her belt, including pepper spray, a taser, and a tawse. Any and all of these items may be used on recalcitrant custodies should the corrections officer feel it necessary."

Shona was beginning to tremble, but the woman smiled, "It's okay, I have to tell you this stuff but unless you plan on starting a fight or something stupid none of these things should apply to you. We try very hard to make this whole procedure go as smoothly as we possibly can. We carry out the punishment mandated by the court but otherwise, we do our best to treat you as humanely and with as much sensitivity as circumstances allow."

She drew a breath, "Now at present, you're still a free woman, so is there anything you wish to ask, or want to know before we begin the registration and processing procedure?"

"What happens at the end?"

"You will be taken back into the building for a very brief medical to ensure you have not sustained any unwarranted injuries and you will be photographed for our own evidential purposes to go along with the medical in case of any later complaint of mistreatment. You will be allowed to dress, your property will be returned, you sign a release form confirming that you have everything you came in with, you are taken back through here and you are thereafter released from custody, it should take a total of maybe ten minutes, probably not even that."

Joyce piped up, "At the end, can I come in here and collect her?"

"Certainly, that's no problem at all. Obviously, you would have to wait here in reception, but it shouldn't be an issue."

"Shona, why don't you just give me all your stuff. I'll keep it in the car. It saves booking it in and might save time in the end."

The receptionist nodded, "She's right, it might make things slightly quicker, but it's up to you obviously."

Shona nodded and handed over her purse and emptied her pockets, "Thanks Joyce."

The older woman gave her a hug, "You'll get through this, don't worry, I'll be right here waiting when you come out that door. Now I'm going to head off before I start crying."

After he had left Shona turned back to the receptionist, "Guess that's me."

"You ready?"

She drew a breath, "As I'll ever be."

The receptionist smiled, "You'll be fine, good luck okay."

"Thanks."

She pushed a button on her desk and the metal door opened, a wiry looking woman with a severe haircut exited and approached the reception desk.

"Officer Milton, this is Miss Shona Strachan reporting for registration and processing. Her ID has been confirmed and here is the printout with the necessary details and her corrections citation."

The corrections officer ran a practised eye over the documentation and looked up at Shona, "Miss Shona Strachan, as per section 14 of the Criminal Corrections Code I remand you into our custody, do you understand?"

Shona nodded and the officer produced a set of rigid handcuffs from her belt, "Please hold your hands out in front of you."

The officer gave a brief smile as she secured the cuffs, "Don't worry, its standard procedure, I know they're uncomfortable, but we'll get them off you as soon as we can okay?"

Remembering the advice she was given Shona smiled, "I appreciate that, thanks."

She was led through the door into the depths of the corrections facility.

Officer Milton kept a firm grip on Shona's upper arm as she led the woman along the corridor, as she did so she continued to explain, "Okay, I'm taking you to our registration area where you will be officially booked in and your personal items taken and lodged for safekeeping. You'll be searched and asked a number of questions regarding your personal details, general health, medical history and some questions on your mental health. Once that's done, you'll be searched and taken for fingerprinting, photographing and a DNA sample will be taken."

"DNA?"

"It's just a mouth swab, fairly non-intrusive and it doesn't hurt."

"Okay, sorry for interrupting, I'm just nervous."

"No probs, if you have questions just ask. Part of our job is to make this as smooth as possible and as long as you're not obstructing the procedure most of us are happy to answer any questions you might have, okay?"

Shona swallowed and calmed her breathing, "Thanks."

The officer resumed, "After that, you'll get your medical, it's usually fairly basic and non-invasive but a blood sample will be taken and sent for analysis to confirm you've not taken anything that might interfere with the procedure. If you have, I advise you tell me now before you declare to the booking in officer anything you might regret later."

"Well, I drank quite a bit of wine about three days ago and I had a coffee this morning, er. I'm on the pill, will that be okay?"

The officer grinned at her, "That's fine, can't blame you for the wine and three days is long enough, the pill should be okay, and even if it's not it's a prescribed medication so you won't be penalised for it, we would just have to sort something out in due course, but I really can't see it causing any issue. As for the coffee, well I don't know about you, but I can't function without my morning coffee."

The booking-in area was a bank of really high, very wide desks that came up to her shoulders, all separated into cubicles by solid partitions. She was led into a cubicle where an older looking corrections officer sat behind the desk and seemed to tower over her.

Shona turned to Officer Milton, and whispered nervously, "Why are the desks so high."

The older man obviously heard her and grinned, "Everyone asks that first time. It's so you can't reach us on this side or jump over them to get at us if you decide you don't like us anymore. Pretty simple really, and way more effective than partitions."

"Oh."

Officer Milton gave the older man the paperwork and he recorded the details onto a computer before looking back down at her, "Okay, Shona can you please confirm your full name, age, date of birth, nationality, self-defined ethnicity, self-defined gender and favourite TV show?"

Shona ran through the details while he typed and paused looking confused, "Sorry, did you say, 'favourite TV show'?"

"Yea, but I was kidding with that one. Unless you like reality TV at which point, I'm going to get upset."

"Seriously?"

He grinned, "No. Now can you empty the contents of your pockets, take off any jewellery you might be wearing and any piercings, empty the contents of any wallet or purse you might have and place it all on the desk in front of you, please.

"I'm sorry, I don't have anything at all, I didn't take any jewellery and I gave all my stuff to my friend before I came in."

"Okay Shona, you are now officially my favourite person because that's a bunch of typing and paperwork I don't have to worry about anymore."

Shona smiled and looked at Officer Milton. She shrugged, "He's always like this, don't worry about it. He's clearly going senile in his old age."

"Why Officer Milton, I resemble that remark."

"Shona, I'm going to ask you a series of questions relating to your physical and mental health. Your answers will help us provide you with the best level of care while you are in custody so please be honest. It's a standardised list of questions we ask everyone so don't get offended if you think they're aimed at you in particular, okay?"

Shona nodded, "Okay."

The list was fairly standard, and Shona had asked similar questions to patients when getting their history at the hospital, but he paused at the last question.

"Shona, I'm going to ask you if you've taken any medication or substance, prescribed or otherwise that might interfere with the punishment procedures. Once I type your answer into the computer that's it recorded so if it's later found you've taken something and not disclosed it then you're going to be in a lot of trouble understand?"

She gulped, "Yes. I told Officer Milton, I drank some wine three days ago, I had a coffee this morning and I'm on the pill. There's nothing else I can think of."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Okeydokey, the wine's okay, it's more than twenty-four hours, coffee doesn't count, but I'll record the birth control just in case, but again it shouldn't be a problem, remember and tell the nurse during the medical, it's on the file now so they should see it, but just in case."

He turned to the escort, "There are no warning markers for drugs, self-harm or anything else so a pat-down search will be fine, you can just do it here and I'll record it once it's done."

The search and remainder of the procedure went smoothly and eventually, the older man said, "Right that's you booked in. The good news is it's a lot faster booking you out, that only takes about five minutes.

Officer Milton then led her to another room where her fingerprints and DNA were taken.

"Okay Shona, I'm afraid you won't like this next bit, but we'll try and get it done as quickly as possible. You're going to have to take your clothes off and stand against the far wall with arms and legs outstretched. We take two photographs, you turn round, we take two more and you can get dressed again, okay.

Tears began to appear at the corners of Shona's eyes, "Do we have to?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Can I ask what happens to the pictures?"

"They get deleted along with the rest of the records at the end of the two-year period, it should have said that in the documentation you were sent. Come on now, you've been really good so far and this'll only take a minute."

Shona began to tremble. Blushing in shame and with obvious reluctance, she slid the tracksuit top off and put it on the desk, her trainers and socks were next but when she reached for the hem of her t-shirt she hesitated. Sniffing, she swallowed before drawing the garment over her head, scrunching her eyes shut she pushed her thumbs into the waistband of her bottom but had to stop, her shoulders were shaking, and tears rolled down her cheeks as she began to sob, "I can't, I just can't."

Officer Milton and the technician exchanged glances and she nodded. The technician finished an adjustment to the digital camera and quietly left the room.

"Shona, I'm sorry, but this has to be done. So, look at me please okay, just look straight at me and listen."

Shona looked up at the corrections officer.

"Shona I want you just to do exactly what I tell you, nothing more. Can you do that?"

The sobbing woman nodded.

"Right, take off your tracksuit bottoms and stand up straight, you can turn your back to me if you like, close your eyes if you want, but just listen to my voice, that's all."

Trembling the woman scrunched her eyes shut but was able to do as she was instructed.

"Well done, this will be over in a few seconds. Just reach behind you and take off your bra, just drop it there and I'll pick it up in a sec."

Officer Milton could see the woman's hands shaking as she reached behind her to fumble with the clasp of the bra, it took several attempts, but she finally managed to release it.

Just let it fall, I'll get it for you."

Taking a breath, still with her eyes shut, she dropped it and folded her arms across her breasts.

"Almost there, just drop your knickers where you are and step out of them, I know it's embarrassing, but there's nobody here but me and I've seen hundreds of men and women where you are. Nobody will even see these photographs, they're digital, just an add-on to your file. If you stay out of trouble the whole file gets deleted."

Shona's voice shook, "You promise?"

"Yes, I promise. Unless you complain about an injury, or you get in more trouble these photographs will never see the light of day. Nobody will ever see them."

Shona took a deep breath and let her knickers fall to the floor. She gingerly stepped out of them.

"Okay, you don't need to turn round yet, but open your eyes. Can you see the marks on the wall in front of you, it looks like a big measuring tape painted on the wall?"

"Yes."

"See the marks painted on the floor in white, they look like two footprints?"

"I see them."

"Okay, step over to the wall and put one foot on each of the footprints, I know they're facing me, but never mind."