Just a Jab Ch. 01

Story Info
John is admitted to hospital.
8.7k words
4.51
68.6k
112
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is part 1 of a longer story.

I am submitting this early to gain some feedback to determine if it is worth me writing & submitting more.

There is almost no sexy stuff so far, as I am just setting the basis of the story.

Thank you in advance for any valuable comments.

========================================

CHAPTER 1

DAY 1 Monday

John eased back in his chair pushing his body slightly away from his modern ergonomic desk, and the computer that always seemed to need his attention. The screen was getting harder to focus on and the words had become a blur. Swivelling his eyes around his office he found it was too difficult to focus and identify the objects on the walls and shelves. Closing his eyes and resting his head back onto the cushioned support he let out a heavy sigh. This was not one of his better days as the aches and pains throughout his body had progressed until now he found them too difficult to ignore. Not for the first time today he was pleased that he had invested in an expensive office chair as the excellent cushioning reduced the contact pressure on his sore body. This bout of flu had started over the weekend and the pain killers he had taken had enabled him to come into work today, however the symptoms were becoming so severe and another recent dose of medicine hadn't helped. The really odd thing was that the pains were worse in his groin area, centring on his penis that had hardened during the night and now felt like a vice was clamping around it. As though in sympathy with the dick his balls were screaming in pain, leaving him feeling like the worst case of blue balls imaginable. He wondered if this could be a heart attack except that the heart was in his chest not below his waist. He wished he could undo his pants and let it all stretch out for some relief.

"Just imagine how that would look if Janet came into the room to see me in all my glory ready for inspection, or maybe that should be 'ready for insertion'. Ha-ha. Even in pain I've got it," he thought to himself and smirked, or maybe grimaced. "I think she'd run as far and as fast as she could if she saw that gruesome sight."

Unfortunately for John the pain continued to worsen and became all encompassing so there was little else he could think of. His senses could only focus and concentrate on the body wide pain and especially on the agony he felt in his groin. Opening his eyes and immediately regretting it, the room spun around making him feel nauseous. In order to prevent making a chucked up mess on his desk he rose to go to the bathroom. With his hands supporting him on the desktop and standing up out of the chair, the already severe pains became extreme sending a shock through his body like he had been hit by a lightning bolt.

"Linda", John whispered.

He collapsed and gracelessly fell, hitting his head on the edge of the desk. His body squeezed itself between the desk and chair, forcing the chair backwards into the wall, and continued its descent to the carpet falling onto his left side with his right arm stretched beyond his head. John's last thoughts were of his wife before he blacked out totally.

It was a lucky coincidence for John that Janet was passing his doorway at that moment and she overheard his muttered word and then the noise of the chair hitting the wall. Glancing in the direction of the sound expecting to see a pile of folders messing the floor, it took a few seconds to realise she could see an arm stretched out from behind John's desk. Walking quickly into the room and around the desk she knelt down and looked over John, assessing what could be wrong. She may not be a trained medic but it was plain that he was breathing.

"John, can you hear me?" she called out as her hand touched his shoulder.

Not getting any response Janet made a worried noise then reached over and grabbed the phone off the desk and called emergency services. Once that was accomplished she rang Bronwyn at reception to explain about John and expect the ambulance and to get Barry to hurry in to give any necessary first aid. After hanging up Janet just sat and gently touched John's face then softly held his right hand trying to hold back her tears. Barry arrived in less than a minute and, as Janet moved away to allow him space, checked John's condition and made sure he was secure and unlikely to further be hurt. Janet moved to the front of the desk out of the way and held her arms to her body and watched and worried. Fellow employees Greg and Paula, after hearing the sounds of odd activity, silently wandered in to stand by Janet and Bronwyn poked her head in the doorway. Barry sat back from his efforts, looked at his work mates and told them he has done all he can and they can only wait for the paramedics. At this the receptionist returned to the front room to await the paramedics.

After a short period of time, although it felt like ages to the four people standing together in quiet support of each other, the ambulance arrived and Bronwyn showed the emergency team into the office. The office workers left the room to hover in the passageway with only Janet remaining inside. The paramedics took command of the situation tending to the unconscious John whilst asking for any information on the patient's recent health and what lead to today's problem. The only information they could give was that John had mentioned he had the flu and ached all over. After some careful repositioning and then getting John secured onto the stretcher they wheeled him to the waiting emergency vehicle and drove off with lights flashing.

With the ambulance gone the five co-workers in the foyer just looked aimlessly around the room occasionally glancing at each other. It was never easy encountering an emergency such as this concerning a person you have known for years. Taking a deep breath to get herself under control Janet steeled herself to prepare for her next action.

Linda, John's wife, needed to be contacted and Janet knew that she was the best person to do this being the most familiar with Linda. After sixteen years working with John she had met and socialised with them both many times at functions and other occasions, as well as the many times they had supported her and attended her daughters events. Her and Linda had become friends sometimes meeting for a simple social chitchat. Once she started moving and mentioning her need to contact Linda, the others all came out of a daze and shuffled back to their work.

On returning to her desk she sat for a moment dreading making this call, then before dithering for too long she had her phone in her hand and pulled up Linda on the contacts list and dialled. She closed her eyes as the dial tone purred and kept them closed hoping her tears can hold off for a little longer. As Linda answered her call Janet sat a little straighter.

"Hello, this is Linda speaking."

"Hi Linda, this is Janet", but before Linda could respond Janet continued, "It's about John, something happened at the office this afternoon."

"What's happened Jan, is John OK? Can I speak to him?" Linda hurriedly called out. Janet could hear the worry edging into Linda's voice.

"Linda, I am really sorry, I wish I knew how best to say this. We are not sure what is wrong, I found John unconscious on the floor of his office. We called an ambulance and they just left from here to take him to the hospital. They should arrive there in a few minutes. I will be going there myself in a minute. Do you want me to pick you up on my way and we can go in together?"

Janet could hear the gentle breathing as Linda just held the phone processing what she had been told and maintaining some control on her emotions. Janet knew that she needed to take charge a bit to help her friend.

"Linda, I will come get you, are you at home?"

"Yes, thank you Jan. I'll be waiting for you."

As Janet was packing her things before leaving, Barry stopped at her doorway and checked how Linda had taken the news, if Janet was going to the hospital and to assure her that they will look after any of John's business until he was back on his feet. Janet thanked him and, after calling out goodbye to the others, left to calls of good wishes to pass on to Linda and John. Fortunately it was early enough in the afternoon to miss the peak traffic and she reached the house within ten minutes.

Linda was waiting at the kerb when Janet arrived, dressed in what had to be her at-home clothes and a shoulder bag, impatient to be on her way. Before Linda settled in the passenger seat Janet reached over to give her a quick hug and some reassurance that she was confident John will be alright. She explained all that she could to Linda on the way to the hospital, although this was not much more than she had already told her on the phone. By the time they had arrived, found a parking space and entered at the emergency department John was already in a cubicle with a doctor in attendance.

Janet turned to sit in the waiting room when Linda grabbed her hand and pulled her along to see the receptionist and, after providing identification and receiving information, they continued to where John was located. Following brief introductions Linda was able to give the doctor and nurse John's medical history, but there was very little recent stuff except for the aches he had from what he believed to be the flu coming on over the weekend. He had also recently gone through blood tests showing he was low in testosterone and had received an injection last week to boost his system. The nurse made notes of this in his file and the doctor added some tests he wanted the nurse to organise. He advised Linda that he was not sure yet exactly what had happened and assured her that they will find the problem and make every effort to get John better. He did not think John was in immediate danger and they will keep him here under close observation in the high care ward. It would however be a few days at least until the tests can be done and results known. After thanking the doctor Linda followed the nurse to complete the paperwork for John's stay while Janet went to the waiting room.

Half and hour later Linda sat beside Janet and reached for and held her hand. Janet could see that Linda was at the end of her emotional limit so she put her arm around her shoulders. Linda just let herself go and swivelling around to rest her head on Janet's shoulder with her long blonde hair hiding her face from the rest of the room she let the tears that had been building flow freely. She stayed there for a while until able to retain a little control on her sorrow. Pulling a wad of tissues from her handbag she dabbed at her eyes one tissue at a time. Looking at Janet and spotting tell tale redness of her eyes she offered a tissue to her as well. Janet thanked her for the tissue and dabbed at the moisture around her eyes.

"It will be a short time before John gets taken to the ward so I thought I would stay here with him, actually I couldn't bear to leave him like this. What can I do Janet, I am feeling so useless." Linda managed to say while holding herself in control. It was just the tight hold of Janet's hand that really showed how close she still was emotionally to the edge. Janet sat there for a moment looking at their clasped hands.

"Linda I can see how hard this is for you and I wish there was something I could do to make it easier for you. All we can do is wait and hope for the best, I am sure that the good doctors will fix everything quickly. I will be here to help however I can, just ask me for anything you need at any time, OK. Why don't you go sit with John until they move him, then you and I can get something to eat." responded Janet.

"Thank you Jan, for being here. I should tell you to leave me here and go home yourself, as he doesn't need both of us to be hanging around. But I feel too weak to be alone, so thanks again. This feeling of helplessness is just too weird, I have never felt this lack of being in control before. Why don't we both go over and sit with him, I would enjoy the company."

They both went in to the cubicle to sit on either side of him and quietly waited and spoke of normal everyday things to each other. In the back of each of their minds was that John would be able to hear them and this would help him recover. During the afternoon they went outside for a few minutes to make some phone calls, Linda to her best friend and neighbour Sophia and Janet to the office. Bethwyn let Janet know that all was under control at work, she will let everyone know what is happening, and that they are thinking of John and Linda.

A while later an orderly and nurse arrived to transport John to the high care ward. The nurse told them it would take some time to settle the patient in so it would be best if they left now and return later tomorrow as he would be having various tests that have been booked in for the morning. They were also advised that whilst in this ward visiting John would be limited to family and only a maximum of two people at any time.

Linda did not want to leave but Janet saw the wisdom and gently cajoled and guided Linda outside to the car and took her home. Janet took a minute to ring her daughter, Adriana, to let her know what had happened today with John and that she would be home later after tea.

Janet stayed with Linda for dinner after heating some frozen foods she found in the freezer. She was not certain if their lack of appetite was due to stress of John being in hospital or the quality, or lack thereof, of the packaged food. She guessed it was probably be the former. Conversation had stalled a little over the meal as they thought over the days events. After washing the dishes Janet made certain that Linda promised to try to get some sleep tonight. As Janet left Linda gave her a grateful smile and hug, and thanked her profusely for all her support today. Janet was just getting into her car when Sophia arrived at the front door to talk with Linda. She gave Janet a wave and called out a quick hello. Janet returned the wave and hello, then apologised to Sophia that she wasn't staying as she needed to get home. Linda waved to Janet as she drove away and then followed Sophia inside, closing the front door behind herself.

Sophia gave Linda a hug and held her a moment longer looking up at her. The difference in their heights was apparent as their breasts overlapped with Linda's resting on top. It would give Sophia a nice soft shelf for her cheek if she rested her head on Linda's shoulder. Keeping her head back so she could look Linda directly into her eyes.

"How is John doing and how are you coping?" Sophia asked

"John was being moved to the high care ward when we left and then having more tests tomorrow morning. I am starting to get my feet back on the ground now thanks to you coming over and Janet staying with me today."

"I am absolutely certain everything will be OK. Both of you are strong people and John will soon be back to his old self. You will cope really well with this as you do with everything else, you are one of the strongest, most confident, self sufficient, warmest and loving women I know. John is the luckiest guy to have you in his life, as I am the luckiest woman to have you as my best friend."

"Thanks Sophia, you always say such nice things. I am certainly very lucky to have you and John in my life," responded Linda

John, Linda, Sophia and her now ex-husband Nicholas had been close friends for years. John and Linda had moved in next door soon after they married about twenty years ago. They soon got to know their neighbours and found that the four of them shared a love of barbecues. All year round they would get together frequently for a quick sausage sizzle or a nice long Sunday afternoon backyard picnic. Whilst John and Linda did not have children Sophia's twin daughters, Kimberly and Sally, quickly accepted them as extended family members calling them aunt and uncle. It was always a fight over which house would host the weekend feasts as John had the pool and hot tub, they had the tennis court and an excellent games room. Often it came down to the weather with hot days in the pool and playing tennis on other days, then retiring to the games room in winter. Of course the hot tub was popular day or night at any time of the year. John and Nick had even put a gate between their backyards for use during their get-togethers, so it was quite often both yards were used by everyone. It also made transporting the food and drinks a lot easier and faster than going via the front doors. Janet and her daughter would often be invited to join in the barbecues on weekends as there was only a few years difference in the ages of Sophia's and Janet's daughters.

The friendship changed dramatically eight years ago when Nick left Sophia and the girls to be with his secretary. This came as a complete shock to them all as Nick had never expressed or shown any dissatisfaction of his life at home. He even moved across the country with his new partner, extricating himself totally from their lives. Sophia kept the house, a large portion of their savings and substantial monthly payments. She only needed to work to allow for a more relaxed lifestyle including a few luxuries. It took a long time for Sophia and her two ten year old daughters to get over the distress and pain of abandonment. It was only because of the unconditional friendship and love from John and Linda that the three of them recovered as quickly, and as well as they did.

John and Linda remained close to Sophia giving her all the support that they could. John became a surrogate dad to the girls, cheering at their sports games, attending school events, and even standing in at their father daughter events. The five of them became extremely close as you would expect only family to be as close. Unable to have children of their own John and Linda relished the opportunity to share in the lives of these two lively, cheerful twin girls.

They had parted from the hug as they talked and made their way to the kitchen. They sat across the kitchen table as they often do, talking about John at first, then about Linda and how busy she could be while John is in hospital. Sophia assured her that while Linda's life is a bit disorganised at the moment she will help her any way she can. Kim and Sally were impatiently waiting for their mum to return home to find out how John was fairing, if they could go see him tomorrow, and what Linda needed so they could help. After everything the pair had done for the twins they wanted a chance to show how much they meant to them. Sophia could only agree with the girls but they had to hold back for a while until they had an opportunity to provide assistance.

***

Driving home alone was very hard on Janet although, at least once home she would not be by herself, as her twenty year old daughter was still living with her as she attended university. Adriana met Janet at the door to the garage looking very worried asking for more details and if John was better yet. After being filled in on the details of the day's events Adriana was still very concerned about John. He had been a guiding light through most of her life looking up to him as a surrogate father figure. Janet had started working for John after her ex-husband had left them sixteen years ago when Adriana had been four years old. He was the major reason Adriana was studying environmental science at university because John always made his work sound exciting and challenging when talking about it. Janet had to tell her not to go into the hospital the next day and attend her lectures and wait until he was better. At this time visitors would be limited until his health had improved.

***

Linda made her way to bed after shutting up the house. It was good to have her friends around to help cope, but at the end of the day she still had to survive being alone all night. This wasn't the first time John and she had not been together as both of their jobs often meant travelling, but it was the first time due to serious illness. It is hardest not knowing what the problem was, how do you fight something you cannot see or name. This is probably the loneliest she has felt since they started living together. Getting a photo of the pair of them from the bedside chest of drawers she looked at his face for a long time, lost in memories of their lives. It was during times of sadness that she gained most comfort from just being near him. Tears fell unhindered from her eyes soaking into the pillow as she remained lying on her side holding the photo frame. Eventually she went into a light fitful sleep.