Just For the Week Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I spot another table of student council members. Troy, Ellen, Heather and Gabe are in the far corner. I excuse myself and Tyson stands so I can slide out. After chatting with those friendly faces for a few minutes I'm on my way back to my table when I remember that I turned my phone off at Tyson's house. I had thought we'd have a lot to do in a short time and I didn't want any interruptions. I never turned it back on. I'm now looking down, powering it up when I hear, "Jackson Pearson!" Layne. Her smile is so big, her cheeks must hurt. She wraps me in a hug so tight I almost drop my phone and my bones creek.

"I figured you were involved in this big announcement but I had no clue you'd play the starring role!" She punches me in the arm and I pretend like it doesn't hurt, though I do stagger two steps back. "I love, love, love it! I can't believe you wouldn't tell me. I'm your friend."

I rub my arm, "Yes, my friend who wears her emotions on her sleeve as much as I do. I couldn't tell you."

She scoffs, but says, "Fair point." The smile returns. "So... Tyson Courtland... What makes the two of you the poster boys for inclusion week?"

"You'll have to ask him. The inclusion theme was my idea but our...coupledom...that was all Tyson."

"You know Daniel wanted to come too but he's stuck in rehearsal."

"It's opening night tomorrow. I get it. Hey, how'd you get here?" Like me, she doesn't have a car and Danny is our ride everywhere.

"My mom dropped me off. She'll come get me when I text her."

"Let us take you home."

"Seriously? Me in the Tyson-mobile? Who would have ever thought that would happen?"

~~

For the first time in a year, Layne's in the backseat and I'm up front with my boyfriend. Layne says to Tyson, "It's really cool what you two are doing. Sacrificing your own prom experience for a social cause."

Tyson eyes her in the mirror. "It's really not that much of a sacrifice. Let's be honest, Stacey's a self-centered snob. Pearson here is kind, funny and blast to be with. There's no doubt that I traded up." His words make me blush again. I just can't hear a compliment without that happening.

"Go easy. We don't want his head to swell." Layne tousles my hair.

"Is that possible?" Tyson asks. "I don't think I've met a humbler person in my life. Especially for someone with so much talent."

She leans forward between us, "Tonight at the restaurant was a celebration, but keep in mind, those were your supporters. The haters are out there and they won't go unnoticed. Some of them are already making noise on online. Be careful. Stick together and protect each other." We pull into her driveway and she looks from me to Tyson and holds his gaze. "And don't hurt each other either." She grabs her bag and opens her door. "Thanks for the ride."

~~

I'm just beginning to drift off to sleep when my phone vibrates an incoming text. Tyson: "Not the ideal first date."

Me: "The afternoon was fun."

Tyson: "I'm picking you up tomorrow and all next week."

Me: "I'm all set with Danny."

Tyson: "But now you have a boyfriend."

Me: "So what would have been an ideal first date for you?"

Tyson: "Hmm. It would have to be an all-day thing. Maybe we could start the day with a good run. I'm still getting to know you. Do you like rides? Six Flags? Maybe a day trip somewhere a few hours away? A hike? Starved Rock? Oh! We could spend the day at the Warren Dunes in Michigan. Whatever we did all day though I imagine the night ending with you cheating. Food-wise. A piece of cake, a slice of pie or a huge ice cream sundae."

I laugh. Suddenly I want to do all of those things. With Tyson Courtland.

Me: "Sounds great. When this is all over and we're still friends, we'll tackle some of that list."

Tyson: "All of it."

~~

Tyson takes me to Donna's Diner for breakfast. Our waitress knows Tyson as a regular. "Hey honey, your usual?" Yes, he comes here often. She looks to me, then back to Tyson. "Who's your new friend?"

"This is Pear- This is Jack. He's my boyfriend." He smiles and says it so easily. So casually. With zero hesitation.

"Oh," she says. "You two make a cute couple. What'll it be sweetie?"

"I'll have the country omelet, no hash browns, fruit instead of toast, black coffee and a water."

The waitress, Julie according to her name tag, says, "A man who knows what he wants. I like it." She winks and walks away.

Tyson looks amused, "That was very specific."

"I want what I want." I glance around the dining room and notice there are some other Chandler students here. I guess being seen together is the point. I ask, "So what's your 'usual'?"

"You'll see. And don't judge me. I'm a growing boy. I need to carb-up for optimum performance."

"Are you really still growing? You're huge."

He laughs and sips his water. "It's Friday. What're we doing for our second date?"

"The play. I always go to the first and last performances to support Danny. It's opening night."

"Cool. Then that's where we'll be. We still have the afternoon. Meet me in the parking lot at my car after school."

Our food arrives. Tyson has an embarrassingly tall stack of pancakes. It's topped with whipped cream, powdered sugar and maple syrup. At least there are blueberries in the pancakes...no, wait...those are chocolate chips! There's a side of bacon and sausage and a large glass of orange juice. I'm almost nauseous from the sickly-sweet smell coming from his side of the table. He sees my reaction and grins again. I can't help but smile back.

We're about to leave when Tyson's phone rings. He looks at the screen and says, "It's my mom, I have to take this."

I nod and he answers. "What's going on? How is he?" He listens quietly for a minute then says, "Yes, I did. Yes, she's fine. Okay, I will. I love you too." He ends the call.

He leaves a generous tip for Julie and we "bounce" out to that big, red Navigator.

~~

We hadn't talked about lunch. Will we sit together?

In line for my usual salad, I feel a tall presence materialize next to me, "Pearson." He orders a salad, too, but gets juice instead of water. He says, "Lead the way."

He follows and slides in next to me at my table, ignoring his large group of friends across the cafeteria. Assessing his meal, he says, "Pearson, you're already rubbing off on me. Look at my healthy lunch."

I give him a half smile. "First of all, after that breakfast, I don't know how you could even consider anything other than a light lunch." He's grinning back at me as my comments turn into a lecture. "Second of all, your lunch is only partly healthy."

He looks sadly at the meager tray in front of him, incredulous, "What do you mean?"

I point, "The juice."

"What's wrong with orange juice?" He indicates the label, "See, no added sugar."

During this exchange, Danny and Layne arrive with their usual pizza, fries and chocolate milks. They observe Tyson's presence at our table and shoot me an inquisitive glance. I shrug in response.

Danny looks at Tyson's tray and asks, "Did Jack make you order a salad? Don't let him bully you." They all laugh.

Tyson, still confused, says, "No, I thought I'd make a healthy choice for a change but Pearson here doesn't see it that way."

Danny and Layne look at his tray and shake their heads in unison. Layne says, "Here comes the juice lecture."

Tyson's grin widens. "Oh boy! The juice lecture! Lay it on me Pearson."

"Juice is one of the worst things for you. Even when it's 100% juice."

"But it's just oranges, nothing else."

I ask, "If you were having oranges, like for a snack or with lunch, how many would you have?"

He starts to see my point, "One."

"And how many oranges do you think it takes to fill that 12-ounce bottle you've got there?"

"I don't know, but something tells me you do."

Danny and Layne snicker. I continue, "Six! Two ounces per orange. Six oranges! That's too much sugar, even if it is natural sugar."

He looks across the table at my friends, "I feel like he's not done yet. Is there more?"

Danny says, "Oh yeah."

"And," I shoot a dirty look at Danny as I continue, "by drinking the juice of an orange without chewing and digesting the fiber of the fruit, the sugar goes straight into the bloodstream. You might as well be eating pure sugar with a spoon."

Tyson pouts, "But it says 'with pulp'."

Danny and Layne crack up.

"Does that conclude the juice lecture? I have learned so much." He flashes a toothy grin.

I put my hands up in mock-surrender.

Tyson puts his arm around my shoulders and gives me a quick squeeze. "I like the passion, Pearson. Ever since you stood up to Hannah Vaughn two days ago, you're like a new man."

I fight off another blush as Layne voices her agreement, "Yes, Tyson's right. I've seen the change too. And it has been over the last couple days." Her eyes move from me to Tyson and back to me again. "If no one else has said it yet, let me be the first. Not only are you two super-cute together, but you're good for each other too." She pops a fry in her mouth.

Now the blush comes and I can't stop it.

Danny says, "There are a shit-ton of comments on Facebook about your promposal. They're mostly positive. You wanted to shine a spotlight...mission accomplished."

I nod. I believe in what we're doing with every fiber of my being. I would just prefer it if the spotlight I was shining wasn't aiming right at myself. I say, "But the negative ones cut deep."

I extract myself from Tyson's arm, stand and gather our trays. I dump the trash, stack the trays on the can and turn to head back but Stacey and Kevin Johnson are blocking my path.

Kevin, who's all beefy muscle like a professional bodybuilder says, "Look who it is honey. It's Courtland's new girlfriend. Here he is, all alone." He takes a step closer and my fists clench in reaction. I can see beyond Kevin that Tyson's back is to me and he holds Danny and Layne's attention as he talks animatedly. All three are too far away and unaware of my predicament. Kevin is like a human brick wall. I've never been in a real fight in my life and I don't want to start now. A few of the people around us begin to feel the air in the room change. Kevin takes another step closer and I take a step back.

"What's the matter? Not as brave in real life as you are on social media?"

What are my options? Call out for help? Stand my ground and hope he just walks away? By the look in his eye, the latter seems unlikely. But suddenly I'm not alone anymore. Connor's now standing with me.

Putting an arm around my shoulders, Tyson-style, he says to Kevin, "Do you have a problem with my friend here?" Kevin is bigger than Connor too. Way bigger. Kevin is bigger than the two of us together. He's bigger than most humans on planet earth.

"Mills? This doesn't concern you. Back off."

Connor steps us forward instead of back. "Like I said, do you have a problem with my friend here? If so, I think the three of us can step outside and work it out. But if this was just some kind of misunderstanding, well then I guess you were about to be on your way." Kevin's eyes move back and forth between us. Connor adds, "Do the right thing here, Johnson."

I see Kevin's shoulders drop an inch and he backs down. "Another time." He and Stacey walk away.

I exhale for the first time in over a minute and look at Connor, "Thanks."

He releases my shoulders and smiles. "That asshole? Anytime." He leans in close, "Be careful though. Stick close to Courtland and your friends all week." He starts to walk away then turns back. "You know, he cares about his sister. A lot. He's a good brother." He leaves me standing there.

He's a good brother, Connor's words echo in my ears. No matter how close I'm beginning to feel to Tyson, I have to remember why he's doing this and that it will all come to an end. It's just for the week. Like it or not. Even if we continue to be friends after... I don't have a lusting crush on Tyson. I like him. And no matter when or how this ends, it's gonna leave a mark.

~~

Chapters 2 & 3 coming soon.