Karma Ain't Always a Bitch Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can do that. Anything else?" Vanessa answered and put her head on Mark's shoulder..

"Do you know anything about their habits or patterns?"

"No. They would call when they had a new girl. They always blocked the caller ID and then they would show up with her. I'm sorry I can't be of more help," she finished with a sad note in her voice. Those girls had their whole lives in front of them until Chad and company infected them.

"No problem. We'll get him. All that means is a little more time in "Camp Thompson" for you three," Adam said. "Now, what have you got for me?"

"First, thanks for the help," Mark started. "Second, I think we need some range time and third, I need to see about some additions to the family transportation stable."

"No problem, I think we "might" be able to get on a range or ten, and what do you have in mind?" Adam ticked off each point on his fingers.

"I want the Lincoln and the number for the company that made it," Mark said.

"Ok, I'll see what I can do. When do you want to head out?" Adam asked.

"Why don't we say 10 or so, that way your guys can get some rest, too," Mark answered, looking at Amy and Vanessa to see the answering nods.

"10 it is then, I'll see you in the morning. Remember to keep the phone on and make sure Chief stays in the room with you. Ummm, one last thing," Adam hesitated. "I'm going to need you to sleep in the same room until we get the last two cockroaches. If you need help moving stuff around I can get a couple of my people to help."

"That's ok, we've already taken care of that, but thank you," Amy said as she slid over next to Mark as Vanessa snuggled up to his other side.

All Mark could do was smile as he watched first confusion then understanding make its way across Adam's face.

"Ok. Then I'll see you in the morning after I get things started. If you hear a mouse burp, I expect a call. Sleep well," Adam said as he headed for the door.

Mark stood and walked to the door to let Adam out and shook hands.

"Thank you for everything," Mark said and closed and locked the door. Turning to Amy and Vanessa, he offered each an arm, and, with the rather furry addition to the family, headed for bed.

Mark thought he could get used to sleeping this way, a beautiful lady pressed against his front and back. Taking a deep breath, he smiled and fell asleep with Vanessa's light perfume lingering in his nose.

************

It had been a week since Tanya left him with her note and he had reverted to being a garage troll. He lost himself in working on the cars and closed off the outside world.

"Amy, it's Vanessa, can I come over?"

"Sure, anything important?" Amy asked, although she figured it had to do with Mark.

"I'm not sure really. I'll be there in a few minutes, and thanks," Vanessa said as she hung up.

Amy frowned when she hung up and started dialing Mark's house, but put the phone down and waited to see what Vanessa wanted.

"Have you talked to Mark lately?" Vanessa asked.

"Not for a few days, why?"

"I haven't heard from him for a week and I just wondered if there's something wrong, or if I did something to make him mad," Vanessa coasted to a stop and stared at her hands.

"Did he tell you about Tanya?" Amy asked.

"Sure. I knew about her sleeping with him," Vanessa said.

"He didn't tell you what happened last Thursday night?" Amy asked.

"I haven't talked to him since that afternoon; he was supposed to call but never did."

"Tanya left him a note and for all intents and purposes disappeared. I just figured he would stay in the garage for a day or two before coming back up for a breath," Amy said, and stopped to think. "What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Nothing that I can't change," Vanessa said.

"Good. Change it. Now let's see if I can pry him out from under the cars," Amy said as she dialed Mark's house.

"Hello," Mark answered on the eighth ring.

"Hey, sweetheart, whatcha doin'?" Amy asked and winked at Vanessa.

"Just working on the cars, why?"

"Just wondered. Isn't prom soon," she said as she nodded to Vanessa, seeing the understanding cross her face.

"Oh shit, prom. I was taking Tanya, but now...," he paused and took a deep breath. "I figure I'll blow it off, what's the use?" Mark said, obviously still not taking Tanya's departure that well.

"Mark, you're not going to skip prom," Amy said.

"And where do you propose I find a date for tomorrow night?"

"I'll be your date, just make sure you get here early enough for the dinner reservations." Amy thought she heard him make a noise as he remembered that he had reservations at Brad Hopkins' restaurant. "It will be fine baby, Brad will understand and you know he loves you like a son."

"Is there any way I can talk you out of this, beautiful?" Mark said, as he tried to wiggle out of the rapidly closing trap.

"Nope, just be here at six. Bye, sweetie." Amy hung up and turned to Vanessa. "You doing anything at six tomorrow?" asking with a laugh.

"Are you sure Amy? I don't even know that he would want to go with me," Vanessa said in a nervous tone.

"Why don't you stay here tonight, and we'll get you ready tomorrow. Just pack enough for the weekend," Amy said to the confused-looking brunette.

Mark spent all of Friday morning running all over town. He had to do everything in four hours instead of four weeks. By the time 5:30 rolled around he had managed everything but the limo and the overnight bag was empty. He and Tanya were supposed to have spent the weekend in one of the suites at the resort on the beach. Shrugging that off, he headed to Amy's to pick up his date.

He spotted the limo as he crested the hill and started laughing. He should have known Amy would think of the stuff he had let slip through the cracks.

"Knock knock," Mark yelled as he let himself in.

"Almost done," Amy called back. "Give me five minutes."

"No problem," Mark answered and grabbed one of the magazines from the coffee table.

Mark knew Amy's five minutes would be ten and settled in to wait. Glancing at his watch, he got up to finish with his collar and tie. He heard heels clicking on the floor and turned to see Vanessa walk in holding the pendant that he had given her as a birthday present.

Her hair was pinned up with ringlets hanging at her ears, the effect framing her face. She was wearing a floor length, form-fitting black gown with a slit that hit her mid-thigh, the toes of her shoes peeking out as she stopped, feeling his stare.

"Hi," was all she said as she turned to let Mark put the necklace in place.

"Hi, yourself. You look gorgeous! Who's the lucky guy?" Mark asked as Vanessa turned to face him.

Amy picked that time to make her entrance, still barefoot, wearing shorts and a tee shirt. She started grinning as she saw the pink starting on Mark's face. "You are, silly!"

"Are you sure, Vanessa? You really don't have to do this if you've got something better to do," Mark said as he tried to let her off the hook.

"Yes, Mark, I'm sure," she whispered, and slid into his arms to show she meant it.

Amy played doting parent as she took pictures, and made sure all of the arrangements were taken care of. She pulled out the prom tickets and put them in Mark's jacket before hugging the couple and handing him two overnight bags on the way out.

The limo was a gift from Brad, as was the champagne. The flowers were from Connie.

As Mark and Vanessa got to the door, the driver came to hold it for them and tried to sneak a peek at Vanessa's legs. When he looked up into Mark's eyes, he decided that would be the last time, as Mark wasn't amused. The driver put the overnight bags in the trunk and soon they were on their way to Brad's place.

Once Mark raised the privacy partition he turned to Vanessa and tried again. "Vanessa, I meant what I said earlier. You don't have to do this. If you want to go home, we can drop you off and you won't be wasting a Friday night."

Vanessa took her time to reply, choosing her words carefully, "Mark, I meant what I said, too. I want to go, I'd want to go even if we were wearing shorts and eating hot dogs in the backyard."

"Wow," was all Mark could manage. He had never been able to wrap his head around why Tanya and Vanessa wanted to be around him.

Vanessa slid against him, making sure her thigh slipped through the slit of her dress, and put his hand on her knee. She kept her hands on his in the event he had a case of jitters. She had waited almost nine months to get his hand there and wasn't going to let him think it over. They had spent the time since his birthday learning how to be friends, and then learning how to really be friends. He was her best friend, even if he didn't know it yet.

Vanessa felt Mark try to retrieve his hand and smiled as he looked at her. It was almost like he was expecting her to get upset; the fact that she had placed his hand there forgotten.

Mark's cheeks heated when he figured out where his hand was, and he went along for the ride as his eyes went for a tour of the beautiful lady next to him. He started with the red polish on her toes and drank in the lines and curves that were Vanessa. When he made it to the matching polish on her fingernails, his eyes took the off ramp her hands offered, the sign above her wrists flashing "BREASTS AHEAD". His eyes settled on the smooth valley that disappeared down the front of her dress and slowly worked their way up her neck and to her amused eyes.

Vanessa was surprised to see his reaction from just having a hand on her knee. They had spent countless nights snuggled under a blanket watching movies wearing far less. But if he was pink before, he was incandescent when his eyes finally made it to hers after his very thorough tour, and found her twinkling brown eyes waiting for him.

Mark tried three times to say something and just ended up looking like a fish out of water. He was building up for another try when he heard her giggling. He saw her smile, and let himself relax a little.

"I guess you caught me, huh?" was all he managed to get out before joining her in a laugh at his expense.

"Just a little," she managed between giggles.

"Would you believe that I couldn't help it," he asked.

"It's ok, Mark. I was just playing, and I really don't mind," she said and pulled him down into a soft kiss.

It was the first time they had shared a "serious" kiss since the morning after his birthday. It wasn't for lack of wanting on her part; it was Mark's desire not to hurt Tanya.

Mark was still trying to work out his feelings about Tanya, and the kiss had kicked his emotional anthill open.

"Vanessa," he said as he pulled away slightly. "I don't know what Amy told you, but I need to clear the air. Tanya left last Thursday and I haven't talked to her since. I don't want you to think that you're a rebound. You mean too much to me for that. I guess that's what I meant when I said you didn't have to go tonight, although I'm glad you are."

"Thank you, but I knew you wouldn't do that, with me or anyone else without a Chevy emblem on their foreheads," Vanessa said with a smile. "And I really did mean what I said, if it means changing the oil with you I'll do it just to be close to you."

Vanessa waited for her words to slip down through all of the barriers and saw his smile transform his face. That smile made her night without ever getting out of the limo.

Mark finally paid attention to his surroundings and saw a box that looked like the one he had picked up earlier in the day. He pulled it to him and opened it, and started laughing again. Seeing the look on Vanessa's face, he pulled out the dozen red roses and the teddy bear that were identical to the ones sitting in Amy's living room. Inside were three extra items; a corsage, a boutonniere and a card.

Hi sweetheart.

Try to have fun tonight; you really do deserve to be happy. Give Vanessa a kiss and a hug for me.

Amy

Setting the card aside, he handed the roses and bear to Vanessa, and waited for her to put them down before passing along Amy's greeting. They had just settled back when Vanessa pulled out the other two flowers, both white rose buds, and handed the corsage to Mark so he could put it on her dress.

"Where does this go?" Mark asked and felt his cheeks warm again as she pointed to her dress about an inch above her left breast. "Ok, but I don't want to stab you."

"You won't. Now give me your hand," she said and slid his hand into the top of her dress, a sigh slipping out as she felt his fingers brush across her skin. "Now, just run the pin through the stem, and try not to stab yourself."

"Easy for you to say. I've got a princess making it hard to remember my name and you've got a toad."

"Stop that. If you must know, I've thought of you as my prince since your birthday when you put me to bed. Just so you know...I was awake. I don't think a toad would have kept his hands to himself."

Mark rubbed her cheek with the back of his fingers and leaned in for another kiss. As he pulled away from her lips, he leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Rrrrrrriiibbbbbiiiitttttt," was all he said before dissolving into a laughing puddle when he saw the change on her face.

"Kiss me, you toad, no you fool, ummm, kiss me, you foolish toad," Vanessa said between giggles.

Once they had calmed down a bit, Vanessa pointed to the champagne Brad had provided. Mark opened it and poured each a glass, and raised his in a toast.

They had just taken a sip when the car pulled into the lot, dragging Mark back to Earth. He tensed as he thought about Tanya's father and the reception that was surely waiting, especially with him pulling up with Vanessa.

Vanessa felt the change and guessed the reason. "Mark, Brad set up the limo for Amy. He's not mad at you."

Vanessa was right. Brad smiled as the car pulled in and the door on the other side opened before anyone could get to it. True to form, Mark had gotten out and offered his hand to the stunning brunette that Tanya had told him about. One look at Vanessa, and he could see the "taken" look on her face; she was Mark's, and it was only a question of when he would figure it out.

Brad met the couple as they came through the door and saw an apprehensive look cross Mark's face, but he only wished the couple the best. Each had been through enough and they had both earned a little happiness.

"Good to see you again, Mark," Brad said with a handshake.

"You, too, sir. Brad Hopkins, Vanessa Davis."

Brad handed the couple off to the hostess and watched as they were led to the parlor. If you didn't know better, Mark looked like a thirty-something CEO and Vanessa his wife.

Mark had brought Vanessa here a few times, but this was her first trip to the private section. He watched her face light up when she saw the rooms, and noticed her possessive expression when she saw Connie waiting at the door.

Sending the hostess on, Mark stopped and turned his back to Connie giving Vanessa his full attention. He reached under her chin and tipped her head so she was looking at him before leaning in to place a soft kiss on her lips.

"Just so you know, there's no one else I would rather be here with this evening or any other evening for that matter. Thank you," Mark said and finished with another soft kiss.

Vanessa saw the way the beautiful redhead looked at Mark and felt like screaming and crying. She felt all of the walls trying to slam back into place, protecting her from getting hurt again. That was when he turned to her and kissed her. After she heard what he said and felt the tenderness of the second kiss, she was ashamed of herself. She knew him better than that.

Connie saw the man that Mark had become and cussed silently. The beauty on his arm may not have been Brad's daughter, but she knew better than to try to get between them. The night of his birthday, there were no bonds to break, and it was all fun. This time, she could see the devotion on the brunette's face, and although Mark would never recognize it, the same look beamed from him. She saw him stop and say something to his date and then lean in to kiss her softly, sealing the arrangement in her mind.

Mark slid his arm around Vanessa's waist and together they finished the trip to the door. She had never really seen Mark in "stealth mode" before. There had never been a time when they had to hide from each other, and she had gotten used to "her" Mark. The stealth Mark was in full force drawing Connie out, putting her at ease and pulling laughs from her.

Sitting on the loveseat together, Mark and Vanessa waited until Connie left to get the drinks to continue their conversation. Vanessa had dropped her chin trying to avoid his eyes, but Mark had no intention of letting something small trash their night. He found himself with a finger under her chin again and was filled with a fresh sense of peace when the connection was renewed as their eyes met.

"I'm sorry, Mark. I'm just scared I guess."

"Scared?"

"There's always been a buffer in place with Tanya around, and I could pretend that I wasn't feeling what I felt. I'm petrified that now you'll really see me and not like what you find," she trailed off.

"Well, now you know how I've felt since I first laid eyes on you. Somewhere in the back of my mind there's a voice that does nothing but remind me that you're going to find a reason to walk away. I spent the first few months expecting to never see you again whenever you would leave, and then the last six months counting the minutes until you were coming back. If you were late, I was a wreck until you came through the door."

Mark paused, trying to think of the way to say what he wanted to say, butterflies the size of 747's were stacked in his stomach like an O'Hare holding pattern at Thanksgiving.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love you," pulling his eyes away, waiting for her to react.

It was her turn to drag his eyes up, and saw the raw landscape he had left exposed. She took a deep breath before she started.

"That's the way I felt every time I knew Tanya was at the house. It felt like something was eating my heart, and then I felt bad for feeling that way. It felt like I was just being a spoiled little girl, but I couldn't walk away. The nights we spent doing nothing were the best nights I ever remember having and the nights that we fell asleep together were even better. I guess that's just a long-winded way of saying that... I love you too."

Vanessa watched his face as he heard what she said and saw his face light up, her emotions soaring with his.

Mark had just slid her into his lap for the kiss that he wanted to give her when Connie walked in. Even if he had seen her, he wouldn't have stopped, as he did his best to show Vanessa how much she meant to him.

Connie stopped just inside the door and turned into an unintended eavesdropper as she heard the end of the conversation. She considered walking out and knocking, but she didn't want to interrupt the couple, so she did her best to leave the drinks without disturbing them. When she pulled the door closed, she figured that she could have led a marching band through the room and not made an impression. Brad had given her the prom schedule Amy had passed along and made a mental note to keep them on time.

Connie gave the lovebirds a few more minutes before knocking on the door to announce her presence. Neither looked like they had moved, the location of their glasses the only indication they had. She had walked in on quite a few scenarios, but never one like this. Mark was sitting with his chin on Vanessa's head as she leaned against his chest and both were wearing peaceful smiles.

"Hey, you two, sorry to bother you but you need to order so you aren't late," her smile echoing the other two. The last time Mark was in this room had more raw energy but this time matched it in intensity.