Killer Dreams Ch. 41-45

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She buried her face against my broad shoulder. "Some moments make me want to take Michael back, but then I think about how many times he cheated on me, and I want to bury him under one of your buildings," she said. When Michael became a suspect in the Hardin murder, my daughter confronted him and found out Tracy was just one of the women he'd cheated with over the years. She didn't take it well and moved home soon after. "My lawyer had the divorce papers served yesterday."

"Good. It's time to sever ties and make a fresh start."

"I can stay here, right? He's still using our condo."

I kissed her hair. "This will always be your home, Laura."

The moment was interrupted by Margarite calling us to the table. Waiting for us were bowls of Sopa de Pescado, a seafood soup that was Laura's favorite. "I've been waiting all morning for this," she said as she sat down.

The spicy soup was excellent, and Margarite followed it up with another of our favorites. Pupusas are thick homemade tortillas filled with cheese, spicy ground pork, and fried squash. Margarite served the grilled tortillas with her homemade spicy tomato salsa and cabbage cole slaw. "You've outdone yourself, Margarite," I said as I dug in. Honestly, I didn't know what I'd do without her. I didn't know how to cook, and the girls were too busy to learn.

When Margarite brought out the ice cream for dessert, I asked her to sit. "I need to tell you all something before it hits the news," I told them. "This morning, I agreed to sell Brickline Construction to Bannon Commercial Construction out of Chicago. I'm leaving town tonight, and we close on Monday."

Laura swallowed her ice cream wrong and started coughing while Lisa and Margarite sat there looking shocked. "You love your work," Lisa objected. "You and Mom built the company from nothing!"

"It's the right time and a good offer," I said. "My heart isn't in this anymore. It hasn't been the same since Mom died, and none of you are interested in taking over. I want to travel and enjoy my life more while I still can. You know how grueling my schedule is." I'd worked sixty to eighty-hour weeks their entire lives, so they knew. "I want to be here to support Laura as she moves on with her life, and I want to spend more time with Lisa before she goes to med school. Lana will be getting married next year, and hopefully soon, I'll have grandchildren to spoil."

Laura's jaw fell. "You know?"

"Know what?"

"I'm pregnant," she said. "Four weeks along. That's why I sent Michael the paperwork. I want the divorce finalized before he knows about our child, or he'll use the baby against me."

It was my chance to be shocked, and I wasn't the only one. "My baby girl," I said. She got out of her chair, and I pulled her into my lap. We were both crying as I held her. "The timing sucks, but I'm happy for you. I know how long you two were trying. You're thirty-two now, and you have a good job and a family behind you. Everything is going to work out."

"I'm keeping my baby, Daddy. I don't want Michael in her life, though." Lisa and Margarite embraced her as she got up again.

"I'll back you on that, Laura. I hope you have time for your favorite client before you go on maternity leave. I'll be needing investment advice."

She laughed. "I can cover you there." She was a junior partner at Hennepin Capital Management, a respected investment firm in Minneapolis. She was right to worry about a divorce; Michael would use the custody battle to win alimony from her. His employment prospects were shit now, while Laura was pulling down $200k a year.

I enjoyed the time with my family, and the news of my first grandchild put a smile on my face. I had to protect my daughter and the Society, so that was my next task. I excused myself to pack for my trip. I said my goodbyes, loaded my bags in the company truck, and drove to Minneapolis again. I parked in my space, then left my phone behind. I got into the passenger seat of the running Lexus sedan waiting for me.

Colleen Newberry pulled out of her spot before I had the seatbelt buckled. "Are you going to be able to handle this alone?"

"No problem," I said.

"Make sure it's clean," she replied.

We drove into St. Paul to a park a block from my daughter's condo in the Cathederal Hills neighborhood. I put on a Budweiser ballcap and a fake mustache before getting out. "I'll be at that coffee house. Walk around the park until I pick you up."

"It's going to be an hour or so." I walked to the entrance of the Italianate-design twelve-story building and rang the buzzer for their tenth-floor condo. Michael let me in, and I took the elevator to his floor.

"What's going on? Did Laura tell you she served me with divorce papers?"

"She did, but that's not why I'm here. Sit down." He sat at the dining room table, and I laid out our joint problem. "Next week, the FBI and Minneapolis Police will be all over the Decker killing. Detective Devine already has information linking Allison to the Society meeting last month. If they start issuing subpoenas, what do you think will happen, Mr. County Attorney?"

He was white as a sheet. "Someone will flip to save themselves," Michael said. "The trail will lead to you because you purchased the party favor at the auction."

I nodded. "And it leads to you because you dumped the body. Someone gives up your name, and then they'll find street cameras showing you driving downtown."

He put his head in his hands. "You're the one who fucking killed her! How could you leave your dick in her so long she suffocates? All I did was fuck her after we whipped her ass!"

"You participated in the crime and tried to cover it up, and you know the felony murder rule. We need to get ahead of it. It was an accident, and the police will understand that, and so will the County Attorney. I need you to do something, though." I sat back and looked at the man I'd hoped would be Governor eventually. "I need you to confess that you are solely responsible for her accidental death and the dumping of her body, and I need you to do it today."

He looked at me like I was crazy. "Why the fuck would I do that?"

"We can't let the investigation get started, Michael. Too many people will get hurt. The Society gets raided, and everyone associated with it will be exposed. We both go to prison, and Laura has no help when the baby arrives."

"Wait, WHAT? What baby?"

"She just found out she's pregnant with your child, Michael. You know how difficult it will be for her to carry the baby to term. The stress of a trial, all the publicity? Don't do that to your kid. Someone has to take the fall. If you do, I'll take care of you when you get out, and I'll protect Laura and your kid."

"Jesus." He stood and walked to the window, looking out over the city. I let him think for a few minutes before he turned back to me. "Hypothetically, how would we do this? If I confess to a felony, my days as a lawyer are over."

"I won't forget you if you do this for me, Michael. You're my grandchild's father, after all. I'll make sure you get compensated for your services." I put my arm around his shoulder. "I get Laura to be generous with you on the divorce so you won't be without money. You keep the condo, your retirement, and half the savings in exchange for a quick divorce. I'll have one of our Society friends give you a job when you get out, and I can funnel money to you that way. You'll get out after a short prison term and get on with your life."

"I have to think about it."

"Start by writing up your confession. You and Allison were having consensual sex, and she loved breath play because it made her orgasms incredible. You two had sex, you left the bag over her head too long, and she passed out. You tried to revive her, and it didn't work. You panicked, afraid for your job. You cleaned her off, wrapped her in a sheet, then dumped her in a known hotbed of prostitution activity. No Society, no accomplices, just a tragic accident."

He nodded. "That could work. Something like that came across my desk, and I would take a plea deal for one to five years."

"You've got no record, and it was accidental. You might not even get jail time."

"Give me five hundred thousand, and you've got a deal."

"Done," I said as I shook his hand. "Start writing down your confession, and I'll get you a good lawyer."

He sat at his desk, writing his confession out longhand. When he finished, it was a page long. It had enough detail to satisfy the investigation, but nothing pointing to anyone else. Perfect. "I'll sign it after I've talked to the lawyer," he said.

"I've got an appointment for you in an hour. From your lawyer's office, we'll drive to Minneapolis Police headquarters to meet with the Homicide detectives and the Assistant County Attorney."

"This is all happening so fast," he said.

I handed him a drink. "Relax. You're doing a good thing, and we'll get you a good deal." We went through the sliding glass door onto their deck, leaning against the railing and looking over the quiet city. He gulped his whiskey, then set the tumbler on the table before turning his back to me.

I pulled on a pair of leather work gloves and walked behind him. He didn't have time to react before I picked him up by the belt and leg and tossed him over the railing. I was going back inside before his screams ended as his body hit the concrete ten stories below.

I left the sliding door open. Removing a baggie from my pocket, I dumped the contents on top of the note. The necklace belonged to Tracy Hardin, the bracelet to Vanessa Miles, and the ring to Dr. Ibanez. I pocketed the empty baggie and walked out, locking the condo door using the key Laura gave me.

I exited the building on the opposite side of the sirens and the crowds. Colleen picked me up as I reached the park. "I heard the commotion and thought it might be you," she said as I buckled up.

"I don't know what you are talking about, Counselor."

She drove me back downtown, and I worked in my office until it was time for the Society meeting. I wouldn't get to participate openly tonight, but there was a naughty little Detective to keep an eye on.