King of the Mountain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay. I'll be over soon. I haven't eaten and I'll have to stop for something. Did you eat?"

"I don't want anything."

"That wasn't my question."

"No," she said quietly.

"Nicky?"

"He had cereal."

"Okay. I'm on my way. I'm going to bring some food."

"No, Evan..."

I hung up and called my mom.

"Good morning, Evander."

"Hi, Mom. I'm going to be at Lisa's soon. I'm picking up breakfast first, would you like anything?"

"Ooh, I'd love some of that stuffed French toast if you're going to..."

"Yeah, that's where I'm going. Okay. See you in an hour."

I wondered if she didn't eat so Nicky could. Then I thought I was stupid. Maybe she wasn't a breakfast person?

I called in an order to my favorite breakfast restaurant and headed over.

*****

I pulled into my mom's driveway and saw Nicky throwing into the net again. As I walked up with several bags of food, he ran up.

"Hey, Mister Evan. Will you play catch with me?"

I smiled and said, "Absolutely, but I have to eat breakfast, then see what's wrong with mommy's car first, okay?"

"Okay. Did you get pancakes? I like pancakes."

I laughed, "Are you hungry?" I asked, wondering if he really did have cereal.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Okay. Go get your mom and come over for some pancakes."

He ran home and I smiled as I walked into my mom's house, happy I bought extra pancakes.

"Hey, Mom," I called out.

"Evander, bring the food in the dining room."

I set the bags on the table and said, "I got your favorite French toast, some eggs, bacon, and sausage. A veggie omelet and a lot of pancakes."

"How did you know Lisa liked veggie omelets?" she asked.

"I didn't. Kelly liked them, I guess just..."

"Hello, Jean?" Lisa interrupted from the door.

"Come in, dear," Mom shouted.

I laughed as hurricane Nicky ran into the room. "Mister Evan said there was pancakes for me, Nana Jean."

I watched as mom dished out the food for everyone. She placed the omelet on Lisa's plate, and I winked at her when she looked at me in surprise.

Mom said, "I love the stuffed French toast, Lisa. They use some blend of sweet cheeses, and it makes my tastebuds sing with joy. Here try some."

I smiled as Lisa took a bite of the proffered goodness. Her eyebrows raised and I thought I heard a slight moan as she chewed. I ate the last of my eggs and grabbed another piece of bacon. I looked at Nicky and said, "Hey, little bud. Don't you like bacon?"

He frowned at me and said, "Mommy says bacon is for adults."

I was about to ask why when my mom said, "Nicky, today's a special day. It's okay to have some."

He looked at Lisa and she smiled and nodded, "Go ahead, Nicky. Make sure you say thank you to Mister Evan and Nana Jean."

He snatched as much bacon as his little fingers could grab and said thank you with a mouthful of the salty fattiness.

I looked at Lisa and she mouthed, "Later." I nodded and let it go.

"Well," I said, "finish your breakfast. I'll get the stuff I need out of Mom's garage."

I was pulling out the diagnostic machine when I heard, "Mister Evan, can I help?"

"Sure, Nicky. Do you see those tools on that towel there?"

He nodded.

"Pick those up and bring them with. You're in charge of tools, okay?"

He smiled, "Yep. I'm a great helper."

"You sure are, little man. Take that over by your mom's car, okay?"

He was gone in a flash. I grabbed what I needed and headed over to Lisa's car, I honestly hoped it was too expensive to fix so I could just buy her a new car. I wasn't sure how safe hers was at that point.

*****

I walked into the house an hour later with Nicky by my side. Mom asked, "Well? What's wrong with it?"

I sighed. "A lot. The check engine light was due to a fuel system vapor leak, but there's a bigger problem. Lisa, have you overheated lately?"

She nodded. "It overheats a lot. I try to keep it filled with antifreeze, but..."

"I understand, I saw the puddle on the driveway. You have a blown head gasket. It's an extremely expensive repair that requires the engine to be taken apart. It will cost more than the car is worth."

I felt horrible as she started crying. My mom hugged her and tried to tell her it would be okay, but it didn't help.

Mom looked at me with a desperate look in her eye and I winked at her.

"Mom, we were just talking about that new car you wanted. How about we give Lisa your old car?"

Mom smiled and Lisa shrieked, "No! I can't afford a Mercedes. I...oh, God! What am I gonna do?"

"Lisa, sweetie, I'm giving it to you. You don't have to pay a penny for it."

"No, Jean. I can't take your car, it's too much."

Mom laughed. "What do you mean? Evander bought me that car years ago and it's too old for me now. I was just going to donate it to charity when we got my new one. Please take it."

Lisa started sobbing. I felt like I had to do something and said, "Lisa, if you won't take mom's car, will you let me finance the car you pick out? You can make payments to me and won't ever have to worry about..."

She snapped up and glared at me, "Right. The poor girl can't afford a car payment so fucking Sir Galahad has to swoop in on his white fucking horse and buy his way into her panties."

"Lisa!" Mom shouted.

"It's okay, Mom," I said as I stood. "I guess I overstepped my boundaries again. I am sorry, Lisa. I was just trying to help you because you're my mom's friend. I meant nothing by it."

I walked towards the door and Nicky shouted, "Wait! You said we'd play catch today."

I was about to explain why I couldn't when I said, "Fuck it. You're right, Nicky. Let's play catch."

I figured, why should Nicky be hurt because his mom was mad at me? I must have shocked her, or mom must have stopped her because she didn't stop me from playing with Nicky.

I took the kid's hand and walked out the door.

"You made Mommy mad, Mister Evan," Nicky said scolding me.

"I sure did, Spud, I guess I just have that effect on her."

He giggled and ran to the bag on his porch. "Wanna use your old glove?" He didn't wait for answer and tossed the glove at me. I barely had it on before the ball was coming at me. Thankfully, the glove fit...ahem, like a glove, and I caught the wayward ball before I got a broken nose.

"Remember how I showed you, Nicky."

He nodded and threw the way I showed him. I tossed the ball underhanded and as I expected he couldn't catch all that well and he still had to chase the ball around. He didn't care one bit and chased it around with youthful energy and enthusiasm that made me jealous.

After a few minutes, he looked past me and said, "Uh, oh, Mister Evan." I turned around and saw Lisa walking up behind me.

"Can I talk with you, Evan?" she asked quietly.

"Hey, Spud, I'll be right back."

I followed Lisa back into Mom's house, where mom smirked at me as she brought us cups of coffee.

Lisa said, "I'm sorry for snapping at you like that. I understand that you were only trying to help me, but you have to understand, I'm not used to getting help like this."

I was about to tell her that I understood but she put her hand up to quiet me.

"I appreciate your offer of giving me Jean's car. I know she wasn't looking for a new one."

I was about to challenge that, whether Mom knew or not, I was looking at new cars for her.

"Don't bother lying. I won't feel comfortable driving a nice car like that anyway. I'm also afraid that if I went to buy a car, I'd be denied for a loan or get a ridiculous interest rate."

"That's why I said I'd finance it for you. No interest."

She sighed, "Thank you. I don't know..."

"Look, Lisa. Can you pay me a hundred dollars a month? Fifty? It doesn't matter. Pay what you can when you can. Please let me help you and Nicky."

"It was your money, wasn't it?" she asked. I knew she was talking about the five grand.

"Technically, it once was. I set my mother up with a credit line when I...when I could. It's hers to spend as she sees fit."

Lisa sighed and gave up the fight.

I smiled and said, "Let's go shopping."

*****

We got out of my car at the Chevy dealership. I was walking to the main doors when she turned to go towards the used cars in the lot.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To look at the cars."

"Those are the used ones. We're getting you a new car, come on."

She looked angry for a brief moment, then softened and followed.

"Mister Walsh," Jack Arnst, my usual salesperson, called out. "I didn't know you were coming by. You should've called."

We shook hands and I said, "This isn't for my company, Jack. I need to get a car for my friend here. I was thinking something mid-sized like the Equinoxes I bought last year."

I had bought a dozen to use as company cars.

"I'm Jack, Ma'am," he said offering Lisa his hand.

"Lisa," she said tersely. I didn't know what would break that woman out of her shell.

"How about this Cherry Red color. This model has..." and he went on and on for twenty minutes as Lisa listened intently. I swear that floor model had every upgrade Chevy offered. I read the sticker and shook my head. It had an illuminated Chevy logo on the front grill. Who the hell needed that?

I looked at Lisa sitting in the driver's seat and asked, "Wanna drive it?"

She smiled and nodded.

"Great," Jack said. "We've got one outside, let me have it brought..."

"Is it this one, Jack?"

"No, you know how it works, Mister Walsh. We'll have hers delivered in..."

"No, Jack. This one. Have it outside in ten minutes. We'll grab some waters while we wait."

I didn't wait for an answer. I took Lisa's hand and led her to the lounge where the fridge of water was kept.

"Do you always push people into doing what you want?" she asked as I handed her a bottle of water.

"I didn't push him into anything. I've spent a sick amount of money here and I'm using that as leverage to get your car immediately. If I didn't, you'd be waiting months. We're driving out of here with it today."

"We'd leave with one of those used ones."

"Lisa, please. Why take a chance on getting a lemon."

"They're cheaper."

I shook my head.

"How much is it, anyway?" she asked. I was surprised she never looked at the sticker on the window.

"Mister Walsh, it's ready."

I looked up and said, "Thanks, Jack."

Lisa walked off, and I told Jack, "Pull the sticker. I don't want her to see the price. I'll pay what's on the sticker if she doesn't find out what it costs."

He smiled and said, "No problem." He went out the shop's door and ran around the building to beat us to the vehicle. I knew he was worried about how much I was going to negotiate him down and he had dollar signs in his eyes.

"Lisa, wait," I called out to buy Jack a few more seconds.

She smiled, "Sorry, I guess I'm a little excited."

A suddenly sweaty Jack walked up and said, "Right this way."

I smirked and shook my head at him. He looked at me like he was going to sell me undercoating and I was an unsuspecting twenty-year old.

Two hours later, we were finally home. Mom and Nicky were waiting outside due to my heads-up text and didn't waste any time in gushing over the new ride. I sat on the porch and watched Lisa show them all of the features.

She was even more beautiful when she smiled and was happy. That afternoon, she was happy for once and I hoped I helped her enough to keep her happy for a long time.

*****

A month later, I had a visitor at my office.

"Is this it?" Nicky said as he opened my door without knocking. Jan's head must have exploded. "Mister Evan!" Nicky shouted.

"Hi, Nicky," I said as he rushed around my desk to give me a fist bump. "What brings you by today?"

"Mama said we're taking you to lunch?"

"You are?" I asked and lifted him onto my lap.

Lisa walked in and said, "Jean said the only way you would take a lunch was if we didn't tell you ahead of time."

I laughed. "She was probably right."

Nicky said, "Nana Jean says you like McDonald's. I like nuggets with barbeque sauce. What do you like?"

"It just so happens I like nuggets with barbeque sauce too. Does that mean your mom is taking us to McDonald's?'

He shook his head and frowned. "No. She said we have to have grown up food for lunch with you."

I looked at Lisa and said, "Buddy, McDonald's is just fine. Let's have tons of nuggets. Ooh! And chocolate milk too."

"Yeah!" my little buddy shouted. Jan smiled behind Lisa and walked out.

"Nicky," Lisa started.

"No," I said. "McDonald's is what I want. Let's go."

We walked out and I smiled when I saw the Cherry Red SUV parked in the front of the building.

I got in the passenger seat, and she handed me a few twenties.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"The first payment is due. I wish it were more."

I put it in my pocket and fought every instinct to not take it. I knew if I didn't take it, she would be offended.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"You're sure about McDonald's? I can..."

"Yep. There's nothing like a McDonald's Coke. I haven't been there in ages."

She frowned and I regretted my choice. I wondered if she were looking forward to a good adult meal and I blew her chance for it.

When we pulled into the parking lot, Nicky's excitement was palpable. I knew it was a special treat for him and that fact helped me smile.

We ordered our meals and Nicky ate his as if it were his last meal. "Mama, can I play now?"

She hadn't taken three bites of her Big Mac, but said, "Sure, but be careful."

He whooped and ran to the playroom. Lisa set her burger down, picked up a couple fries and said, "A mother's work is never done."

Before she could stand, I said, "No, sit. I'll watch him. You deserve a break for a change. Finish your lunch."

"Evan, no."

"I'm not taking no for an answer, Lisa. Eat while it's hot, please."

I stood and walked away before she could argue.

That McD's had an indoor playroom that had its own entrance. I walked in just in time to see Nicky at the top of the slide.

"Mister Evan, watch me go!" he shouted and slid down the chute.

"He's cute," a lady standing by the entrance said.

"Thanks."

"I'm Sarah," she said as she looked at my bare ring finger.

"Evan."

Before she could respond, her eyes shot left, and Lisa grabbed my hand.

"Mama, did you see," Evan shouted from the bottom of the slide. I looked at Lisa confused, and her eyes went dark.

"I saw baby. Do it again."

Nicky smiled and ran up the stairs.

I looked over for Sarah and she wasn't there any longer. Lisa let go of my hand and said, "Go finish your lunch. I'm done."

I looked into her eyes and saw a fierce determination. I didn't want to argue at that moment and went back to our table. I saw Sarah sitting at the table next to us and she said, "Is that your girlfriend?"

I laughed and said, "No. She's my mom's neighbor."

She looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "Could've fooled me. As soon as she saw me talk to you she ran over."

I looked at the table and saw Lisa's food hadn't been touched much more than when I left. I shrugged my shoulders and sat down to eat. As if I were the most clueless man on the planet, I started talking to Sarah again. It was just topical stuff, but before I knew it, Lisa was back at the table with Nicky.

"Mister Evan, wanna see me do the monkey bars?"

I watched Lisa as she sat and glared at Sarah.

"Sure, Spud. I think I'll be safer with you."

Sarah laughed and Lisa switched her glare to me. He took my hand and led me back to the playroom. I looked back and Lisa was speaking heatedly with Sarah. The stupidness left my brain, and I realized what was happening. Lisa was staking her claim and was fighting off Sarah. I was an idiot.

After a few minutes, Lisa came into the room and said, "Sorry, he took you away. Go back and finish."

I looked at the table and saw Sarah was gone.

"It's safe for me to go back?" I asked with a smirk.

"Yes, I got rid of her." Her straight countenance was almost unnerving. I wished she'd have smiled or something, but she was so matter of fact, I wasn't sure what was happening. I wasn't sure if she was mad or not.

I walked back to the table and finished my lunch while Nicky played, and Lisa switched between watching him and watching me as if I were her prey.

I wondered when she went from hating the sight of me to scaring off other women at the McDonald's playland. That's when it hit me she wasn't interested in me. It was my money. In a flash, I got angry. I dropped the nugget I'd just dipped and took the tray to the garbage. I couldn't believe she was trying to use me as others have tried and failed.

"I need to get back to the office, Lisa," I growled.

She frowned yet told Nicky to get ready to go.

I left them behind as I walked out the door to her car. I wasn't going to play games with her. I was incensed. I wanted to tell her to screw off and I would get an UBER back to work, but I didn't want to waste the ten minutes waiting. I'd already wasted enough time on her.

I heard the door unlock and slid into the seat.

"Is everything okay, Evan?"

"Fine."

She looked at me sadly and was about to say something. I cut her off and said, "I really need to get back."

"Okay," she replied.

The entire way back to the office I thought about how stupid I was to accept her offer for lunch. She was just as bad as every girl I'd met since Kelly that showed interest in me. They were only interested in my money. That was why I hadn't had a serious relationship in years.

*****

Kelly was the first and only girl I'd ever loved. We had a whirlwind romance and when we graduated college, we got married. We honeymooned in Hawaii, and I thought life would never get better, and I was right. Life never got better.

Two months after our wedding, she went to the grocery store and never came home. She collapsed in the frozen foods aisle and died. They said it was an aneurism that killed her, and I had no idea what that was. How could something kill my wife when I didn't even know what it was?

I was inconsolable for months. I threw myself into work and focused all of my energy on becoming wealthy. I had nothing to live for except to make money. Then the crypto wave hit, and you know that story.

*****

She pulled up in front of my office building and before the car was in park, I was unbuckling my seatbelt.

"Thanks for lunch," I grumbled as I slid out of the seat. I walked into the building without looking back. I thought nothing other than she was another money grabbing bitch, and I spent years fighting them off already. I didn't need to deal with her too.

I passed Jan and her smile turned to a frown when she saw me. I knew she thought I had a date with Lisa, and she obviously liked her. "Oh, well," I thought and shut my door to get back to work.

I wondered how long it would take for my mother to call me and the time surprised me, twenty minutes.

"Hello, Mother," I growled.

"Don't take that tone with me, Evander. What happened between you and Lisa. She's sitting in my living room in tears after how you treated her."

"Seriously, Mom?" I shouted. "She's upset with how I treated her? She's no different than the others. She's only interested in my money, and I don't need that shit."

"Watch your mouth, young man."

"Seriously, Mom. The last time I saw her was the day I bought her the car. She despised me then. She wanted nothing to do with me. Now, all of a sudden, she's fighting with women at McDonald's over me? What changed? I'll tell you. She finally realized I could be a meal ticket for her. Well, fuck that! Do you know what? Tell her I don't want a damn dime from her. She can keep the car and never pay me a cent as long as she never contacts me again."

"Evander! You're wrong, you're making a terrible mistake."

"No, Mom. I'm just finely attuned to women wanting me for my money."