Kiss the Darkness Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why, I've come calling on you M'Lord. Won't you offer an old woman a seat. My hands are cold and your hearth is warm. Permit this small comfort."

The King starred at her. A grim and disturbed look rested on his face. When he failed to answer her request, the old woman slowly walked past him and sat herself down in a small chair near the fire. The King watched her, dumbfounded.

The old woman leaned forward and warmed her hands. The light of the face lit up her face, making it look more grotesque than before. Her skin was like leather pulled taunt over her bones. It was yellowed with patches of grey behind her ears and along the line of her neck. She turned and looked at the King with dead eyes. "Aye, M'Lord. The years have been kinder to you than they have to me."

"I'll ask you again, Witch. Why are you here?"

The old woman sighed then leaned back in the chair. The light of the flames danced across her decaying flesh. "You owe me a promise." She said finally. "A promise you made many years ago. I've come to collect."

The King suddenly laughed a loud bellowing laugh that echoed throughout the room. "You're mad. I made no such promise. I do not conspire with witches."

She turned and looked at him, the smile she'd once sported had faded from her dry and cracked lips. She was no longer amused, and the look in her eyes told the old King that she was serious. "Have the years fogged your memory, Oh great King? You came to me when you were a young man, a page in tow. Quite vexed by the Demon King and you wished to end his reign less he decided to over throw you and claim Avimur for himself. I gave you the means to destroy your enemy but you carried out the atrocity yourself. I told you then there would be a price to pay for your actions, and a price to pay for my services. I held up my end of the bargain we struck, now you will make good on your end. I want my promise."

The King sat back in his chair. His eyes went wide with disbelief. "Niobe..." He breathed. "The black swamp witch."

Niobe nodded slowly. Her gaze was fixed on the fire. "I've alluded death for the past eighteen years, all in preparation for this day. Give me that which I desire and I will leave your house in peace. Do it not, and my wrath shall fall on all who reside within the castle walls."

"You dare threaten my family!" Guillame spat the words at her. "I could have you beheaded for this!"

"So you think, though I do not think you would succeed. I may look frail and weak but looks can be deceiving. For instance, the beauty in your midst whom you trust with your very life could betray you while the one you seek to condemn be your salvation, or your undoing. It all depends on you really."

"You speak in riddles." Guillame rolled his eyes. "I have no time for games. Tell me what it is you want."

"I speak in truths." The old woman snapped. "But as for what I want. It's something simple, something that you'll not even miss. I've come for the requiem of souls."

Guillame tensed. "What do you want with that old relic? You can't use it. No one can. It's owner is dead."

"And you know that all too well, don't you?" She raised an eyebrow as she stared at him. "My purpose for it is of no consequence to you. Your only concern is handing it over. Remember, you promised me anything that I asked for."

"But the requiem? How do you even know that I have it, that I didn't leave it in that infernal place with it's slain master?"

The old woman leaned forward and stared at the King with such a harsh gaze that he felt her stares rip through his flesh down to his very soul. "I know." She hissed.

Guillame turned his gaze. He could no longer look into her corpse like eyes. "Well, you're wrong. I don't have it. I got rid of that thing years ago and I know not where it is now."

"Liar." She sneered as she glared at him. "All lies. But I know how to deal with liars. Lig do phian crualachta agus do bhealai olc an villian seo a leanuint trid a laethanta go leir..."

"Wait..." Guillame pleaded.

"A aisiom pu chun an cheasta a chruthaionn se a chasadh air!"

"Please, say no more." Guillame rose from his chair, he was sweating and scared. His body trembled as the old crone watched him, a look of satisfaction snaking across her ancient face. "I do have the sword, it's locked in a chamber beneath the castle. It's been there since the night I took it from that demon."

"Good." Niobe rose and stood next to the King. "You will take me there or the curse I placed on your head will never be removed."

Guillame nodded. "Follow me, I'll take you to it." He said as he reluctantly lead the old woman out of the room.

Niobe grinned as she followed Guillame but her feelings of triumph were not shared by the King. Guillame walked, as a man going to the gallows. A dark cloud had suddenly been cast over his head and over his house; and try as he might, he could not relinquish the feeling that something terrible was coming.

___________________________________________

As the monastery came into view, Alexander's excitement intensified. A trio of guards patrolled the outside gates but they seemed disinterested as Christian and Alexander approached. Still, Christian was leery. He pulled the hood of his cloak down over his eyes as he lowered his head. He held Alexander close to him though Alexander didn't seem to notice the guards at all. He was staring up at the towering monument in awe. The structure consisted of an arched doorway that lead into the heart of the fortress like building. Two imposing towers stood on either side of the archway with the sun-kissed roof dipping low between them. The towers had an octagonal base with pillars supporting a domed roof and topped with cast iron finials in the shape of a dragons egg.

The centuries old stone walls were moss covered. High arched, stained glass windows were placed along each side wall, and a heavy, iron bound door secured the grand structure from harsh weather as well as invaders. Next to the palace itself, the monastery was the most heavily fortified building in all of Avimur. Though it was powerful and impressive from the outside, the interior was more modest. Alexander noted the encaustic tiles with foliate designs as he and Christian entered the main hall. There was slight fragrance of incense and roses that wafted throughout, and in the distance Alexander could hear the faint chime of bells.

The walls were mostly bare save for a few ancient tapestries that depicted the Gods engaged in different activities. One such hanging showed a young woman with flowing red hair, knelt beside a rushing stream as she dipped a clay pitcher into the waters. Another was of a silver haired, bearded, man in a long green robe walking through a garden with many small animals at his feet. Each work of art was a different story from the Helards of old. Woven in timeless fashion to forever remind those who looked upon them of the power and generosity of the ancient Gods. Alexander's heart beat faster as he beheld the beauty in the tapestries. He'd never before seen any depiction of the Gods in such a grand and sanctified manner, it was breath taking.

Christian smiled as he watched him. Alexander looked around the room with the purity and excitement of a small child. Everything he saw was a wonder in his eyes, from the grand architecture, to the plain wooden tables and benches sitting in the center of the hall.

All around them robed men went about their business. Some nose deep in a book, others locked in prayer. A young Illiad was busy setting the tables with simple wooden bowls and metal goblets. Another swept the floor in preparation for the coming meal. Alexander felt his stomach rumble as he watched the men work. The meal he and Christian had shared the previous night had been filling, but they'd traveled a long way without anything to eat.

Christian sensed his hunger and instinctively reached out to take his hand. Alexander smiled at him and squeezed the Prince's hand affectionately. They moved further into the main hall, alerting one of the monks to their presence. He was an older man, definitely not an Illiad, possibly a Helard, or an Ovate. He was dressed in the same brown robes as the others. His silver hair was cut short, barely touching his collar, but his beard was long, nearly reaching his midsection. He smiled as he rose from where he had been seated and approached the two men.

"Greetings friends." The old monk chimed. "Tis a beautiful day, the suns are bright, and the Gods smile down on us."

"Greetings." Christian reached up and removed his hood and the monk stopped.

"Your majesty." He said, a bit surprised at the revelation. "To what do we owe the great honor of your visit?"

"This is my friend, Alexander." Christian addressed the monk. "We request sanctuary."

Again a look of surprise and confusion crossed the old monks face. "Sanctuary?" He said, as though he'd not heard correctly. "Has something happened?"

"It's a long story." Christian again took Alexander's hand and pulled the boy to him. "My companion and I are weary, and hungry. We need food and rest. After that I shall be more than forthcoming. But, for now, will you grant our request?"

"But of course Sire!" The monk smiled again as he looked the two over. "You know that we offer sanctuary to all those in need, as well as many other charities."

"Thank you, friend." Christian smiled and bowed to the monk who in turned bowed back.

"Come with me your majesty and I will fix you both right up." The monk motioned for them to follow and at once lead them through the main hall into a more private chamber.

This room was a bit more comfortable than the previous though still modest in its furnishings. A burgundy rug accented the center of the room. Atop it sat a table, similar to the ones in front but much smaller. There were two high back chairs placed at the table and a small couch was placed near the hearth. The monk motioned for Christian and Alexander to be seated on the couch and he went about building a fire, cheerfully humming to himself as he worked. When he was done he looked back to the two and smiled warmly.

"There you are my Lord. A warm hearth and good company is what makes a happy home."

"Indeed." Christian smiled. "And I thank you for your hospitality. I fear we would be in dire straights if not for your kindness."

The monk waved his hand. "Think nothing of it." He beamed. "Tis my privileged to serve those in need. My name is brother Neil. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. In a few moments someone will be in with good drink and a hot meal. I regret that we do not have anything as appetizing as what you would be served at the palace, but what we do have we are pleased to share with others."

"Whatever you are able to provide will be more than adequate." Christian told him. "We are truly humbled by your generosity."

"Gracious as always my Lord. Truly, Tis I who am humbled." The monk bowed again then took his leave.

Alexander pulled his feet up onto the couch then leaned against Christian and yawned a bit. The warmth of the fire felt good against his face but not nearly as good as it felt to sit beside the one he loved. They were safe for the time being, and for the first time in days Alexander could relax. He hadn't realized until that moment how much stress their current situation had put him under. His entire body ached, he was exhausted, and he was scared. He wasn't sure what came next, or how long they could hide within the monastery walls but he could worry about that later. For now, he just wanted to rest his head against Christian and feel the warmth of his love. Nothing else mattered at that moment. He was content.

Alexander had almost dozed off when he heard the door to the chamber open and a young Illiad walked in carrying a tray with two goblets and a pitcher of wine. He said not a word but placed the items on the table, bowed and excused himself. Not long after another monk entered the room with two wooden bowls of steaming food. This too was placed on the table along with two spoons, a knife, and half a loaf of bread. Christian thanked the man who then bowed as the other monk had and too left the room. Christian and Alexander rose from the couch and sat at the table.

The food wasn't like anything that would have been served at the palace, the old monk had been correct about that, but it smelled wonderful and the portions were not meager by any means. Alexander inhaled the aroma and at once his mouth began to water. He dipped his spoon into the bowl, scooping up the mixture, and brought it to his mouth. It was delicious. A thick stew with a rich gravy. The stew contained potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and some type of meat that Alexander suspected was probably venison. It even tasted as though it had been flavored with salt and pepper, something Alexander couldn't identify at first, until Christian explained the flavor to him.

Christian sliced the bread and handed Alexander a slice. "Here, dip this in the gravy and eat it. It's really good that way."

"It's marvelous." Alexander could barely contain himself. "These monks eat like kings!"

Christian chuckled to himself as he ate. Of course the monks did not eat the fine foods that Christian was used to, but Alexander wouldn't know that, not yet anyway. Christian could only imagine his excitement when he took his first meal as a Prince, seated in the great hall with Christian's family. Alexander's innocence was so charming. Just they way that he took such joy in things that to Christian seemed inconsequential made Christian smile. He'd known Alexander for such a short time yet couldn't imagine living another day without him. Despite all that they had been through over the past few days, Alexander still had a bright and positive outlook on life. It was just one more of the things that Christian loved about him.

They'd finished their meal and the two monks from earlier came and cleared the table. Christian and Alexander thanked them. The monks smiled and bowed as they left the room. Christian walked to Alexander and put his arms around him. Alexander put his head against Christian's chest and closed his eyes. He wrapped his arms around Christians waist and they held each other for the longest time. Even covered in dust from the road and after having traveled most of the day, Christian still smelled so good to Alexander. He smelled like a man which was so very alluring. The strong scent of musk clung to his clothing, even his hair was scented with a woodsy and very masculine scent.

Just being close to him, their bodies pressed together, and hearing the beating of his heart made Alexander suddenly come alive with hot desire. Never in his life had Alexander desired someone as much as he did Christian. It was a yearning within him that he was having a hard time suppressing. His body ached to be touched, to be caressed, kissed, and explored by Christian, but his moral propriety told him to withstand his desires and wait. He wanted their love to be shared at the appropriate time, and in the appropriate place. Though he had to admit to himself that his will was not as strong as he'd once thought it. He was finding it more and more difficult not to succumb to his desires and simply rip Christian's clothes off where they stood.

Sensing Alexanders need, Christian did the respectable thing and pulled back, breaking the embrace. He smiled down at Alexander and gently kissed his lips. "Come with me." He whispered. "I know of a place that you will absolutely love. One of the many privileges of nobility that the monks here offer. I know you will be astonished by it." He took Alexanders hand and led him out of the room. Alexander was curios to see what else the monastery provided that hadn't already been afforded them.

Christian left Alexander standing next to a pillar in the main hall as he spoke to brother Neil. The Monk smiled brightly, nodded, and then motioned for the two of them to follow him. Alexander followed, trying his best to imagine what it was that Christian was going to show him. A large garden perhaps. A prayer room. Perhaps the library that he was so eager to see. Any of those would have been amazing but what Alexander was led to was truly so grand and wondrous that never in a million years would he have guessed what it was that he was about to behold.

The monk led them to a medium sized chamber with a small pool located in the center of the room. The floor around the pool was tiled with small vents all around the pool from which steam rose. There was also a stone structure, in each of the four corners of the room, about two feet high and with a shallow dip on the surface that held hot coals. As Alexander looked around the chamber he suddenly realized that he was looking at a steam room. It was absolutely amazing. All around them were different assortments of potted plants and flowers of every color. The pool itself was laden with rose petals. A table with folded towels sat against one wall and on the other wall was a table of wine, goblets, and various fruits and nuts.

Alexander was in awe as he was lead into the room. Christian put his arm around him and grinned. "What do you think?" He asked him.

"It's...unlike anything I could have imagined." Alexander gasped. "Like a magical garden and hot spring of the Gods!"

Christian laughed. "It's not all that magical." He explained. "The floor and pool are heated by an underground furnace. The monks fill the underground chamber with coals and then bellow the heat through ducts beneath the floor. On the hottest days in summer they close off the vents and let the furnace cool and the pool is cooled down and most refreshing. It's mostly used by nobles though there are times when the pool is used to treat muscle injuries in soldiers and farmers. The monks will allow it to be used for free if for medical purposes but anyone who can afford to pay is welcome to use it for bathing or just to relax. The water is drained once and week and the pool thoroughly scrubbed before adding fresh water. So, it's always clean."

Alexander smiled a shy smile as he blushed some. "I've never really heard of bathing in the winter but I can see how it's possible."

"Oh yes, "Christian nodded. "As long as the coals are kept hot, the pool will stay warm, even in the dead of winter when the snow is deepest. But even in the fall, like now, the water is very inviting and probably warmer than the bath you had at the boarding house because the water doesn't cool once your in it. That's the beauty of bath houses, they're constantly heated, and the room is kept warm as well so you don't get a chill when you step out."

Alexander's eyes were wide and full of wonder as Christian spoke. It occurred to him that there were many things that life had to offer that Alexander had never experienced before. At times Christian forgot that Alexander was a commoner. He spoke and held himself as someone who was educated and well read. Most commoners couldn't afford formal education and rarely had time for the written word. Alexander's grandmother had taught him herself though which in itself was odd that a woman, let alone a common woman, would have such an education. He had to remind himself later to ask Alexander more about his grandmother. Christian had a feeling that the woman's origins might be somewhat different than he had first thought.

"So, what do you say?" Christian began to remove his doublet.

Alexander looked up at him and blushed. "Oh...um...I...I can come back when you're finished."

Christian laughed. "Don't be absurd. We can bathe together. The monks offer linens that you can tie around your waist if your too modest."

"Oh..." Alexander looked to brother Neil who smiled, walked over and handed him a linen loin covering. Alexander thanked him as he took the linen. He looked around but saw no private area to change. Christian was already half undressed, laying his clothing across the back of a bench. Alexander blushed, and turned his head as Christian removed his trousers and undergarments.