Kristen Goes Underground

Story Info
Kristen finds way to captivate the shy Bo.
21.4k words
4.85
16.9k
27
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All of my writing is fiction, and the stories and characters are all products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. Hope you enjoy it!

This story involves caves and caving. All of the caves in the story exist and are located in southern Kentucky, USA. The passages and places described in the story also exist — I've been to all of them. Dimensions noted are approximate, but very close to the actual numbers. The fieldhouse and the barn mentioned existed when I was doing my caving but may have changed since then. Sloan's Valley, the big cave, has had many of its entrances closed due to liability concerns. I've ignored that in the story. However, a caving association has recently purchased two of the entrances so they can be reopened for fun and further exploration.

* * * * *

Helpful Information:

Pig - a type of pack used by cavers. Two Clorox bottles with the bottoms cut off and stuffed together, one inside the other, a bungee cord to hold them together, with a rope connecting the two handles used as the carrying strap.

Grotto - a local group or chapter of the National Speleological Society.

* * * * *

"So, let me get this straight," Kristen said, closing one eye and squinting at Bo. "You want me to go where with you?"

"Caving," he answered enthusiastically. "Underground, poking around in a cave. It's fantastic. Things you can't see anywhere else." He was excited by the thought of Kristen going with him to one of his very favorite places.

She was certain everything Bo said was true. She wasn't certain that was what she wanted to do. Still, he was so excited she hated to disappoint him. Their young relationship had begun to blossom and that was exciting to her. Maybe she should relent, swallow her reservations, and just do it.

"So," she began hesitantly, "I've heard it's cold and gross in caves."

"Pretty much, yeah. It's fifty-four degrees year-round, dark, wet, and muddy with rocks — breakdown it's called — that you climb over, around, and through. Sound like fun so far?" Bo laughed, a little discouraged, and sure that Kristen was about to refuse his offer.

"Yuk," she grunted. "You make it sound so inviting to a girl like me." She saw the look on his face that told her what answer he was expecting.

"I tried."

"Okay then, I'll go.

"What?"

The changed expression on his face made her feel bubbly inside.

"I'll give it a try," she said, a huge smile on her face. "I may hate it, but at least I'll know." She took a quick two steps and hugged a surprised Bo.

"Thanks," he said softly in her ear, nervously returning the hug. "I hope you enjoy it."

She hoped she would too but wasn't at all confident that would be the case. She had always hated the cold and mud and thought she was a little claustrophobic; this cave trip would confirm or deny that. Not something she was looking forward to if it was confirmation, wondering how she'd react and what she'd do. But hopefully, if everything went well, it would give her one more thing to do with Bo.

Kristen leaned back and looked at him. "You'll take care of me won't you?" She laughed and, with his blue eyes sparkling at her, decided she wouldn't resist if he decided to give her a little kiss. They'd kissed before, but mostly when he brought her home from a date. That was nice, but a little too formal and programmed. Casual kissing, with nothing, in particular, prompting it was more meaningful ... and much more enjoyable as well.

That wasn't likely to happen as Bo was far too shy to move things forward that quickly in the relationship. Caution had always been his hallmark. Looking at her face, her dark, curly hair and very inviting lips from this close though, it was easy for him to imagine kissing her. He really liked Kristen, and his shyness wasn't about to let him do anything that might, in his opinion, mess it up.

"I do know caving," he said, sounding more confident. "So you're in good hands." And arms, he thought, savoring the last remnants of the hug.

Kristen slipped away from Bo's arms, contemplating what the trip that lay ahead might have in store for her.

"Listen," he said. "I'll take care of getting the equipment you'll need. I can even get coveralls. All you'll need is a sweatshirt and heavy gloves."

"Um, what about pants?" she asked innocently.

"Oops, forgot," Bo murmured, his face reddening. Finally recovering, he suggested, "Sweatpants might be good."

"We'll figure it out," she giggled, trying to assuage Bo's obvious discomfort.

In the week before the trip, they got together to talk about what it would be like and what she could expect. Bo showed her the carbide lamps and how they worked and how to change carbide, explaining to her that he was a traditionalist and liked the old-fashioned way of creating light rather than the battery-powered lights most of the current group of cavers used. He showed her the kneepads she'd be wearing that told her this wouldn't be just a walking trip.

"You have some heavy boots?" Bo asked.

"Hiking boots?" Kristen questioned. She had a pair of seldom used Rocky's.H

"Hiking boots would be perfect. They'll get wet and muddy, but you can clean them up a little for the next trip."

Kristen eyed him warily, certain he was teasing her.

"Next trip?" she queried, playing along with his teasing. A big smile.

"You've just met the optimistic side of me," he answered, a shy smile on his face.

Kristen had already discovered those parts of Bo, both the optimistic and the shy and she liked both of them. Surprising herself, she was anxious for this trip to happen. They'd be going to Kentucky with Pierce and Alana, another couple who Kristen had met briefly with Bo filling in more details about them. She was sure that if she would be doing more caving, she'd be spending more time with Pierce and Alana. Unlikely as the "more caving" was at the moment, she was anxious to get to know them. But something had occurred to her.

"So, what are the sleeping arrangements?" she asked very guilelessly.

"There's a barn we use," he answered. "You have a sleeping bag?"

"Um, no."

Bo's secret mind was in high gear with that, and if he had more guts he'd tease Kristen that she could share his. That wasn't about to happen. He did have a spare bag he could loan her.

Kristen watched Bo hesitate, the slightly guilty look on his face, his cheeks getting a faint pink glow. 'Oh my god,' she thought. 'He can't be thinking that.' She wondered what she'd say if he suggested what she knew he was thinking but decided she had no worries as he'd never do that. But the thought ...

"Got one I can loan you," he said, interrupting her reverie.

"Oh good," she replied quickly, breathing a sigh of relief and glad that moment was over. She had found Bo to be a fascinating guy, but not for the usual reasons. Blond and good-looking, but intensely shy, she was surprised when he had asked her for a date, his face bright red as he stuttered out the invitation. When she said yes, his whole body had seemed to relax. During their dates, he'd been the least aggressive guy she'd been with, but the way he looked at her left her weak-kneed ... and wanting more.

When he'd brought her home from that first date, despite Kristen's pushing her face toward him, he had simply bid her good night and left her a little disappointed if not surprised. At the end of date two, she'd put both hands on the door frame and leaned to within six inches of Bo's face. That got her a very pleasant, if brief, kiss. The problem had become that Bo seemed to feel that the only time for kissing was when saying good night.

Kristen realized she had the option of being more aggressive, but she hated to be like that. She was slightly old-fashioned despite being raised by an aunt with a laissez-faire attitude toward life, discipline, social encounters, and raising a young girl. Still, she might have to ignore her inhibitions and make a move. She hadn't had that problem with her most recent ex, needing some sort of man-repellent to keep him at bay.

She'd met Bo when her brother had dragged her to his company picnic, having picked out someone to match her with. One short conversation with her bro's choice and she'd moved on, freelancing until she'd come across Bo who'd looked very happy and content being by himself. She swallowed her hesitation and began talking with him, finding him very receptive and eager to respond despite the shyness which was strangely enticing.

All of that and a few more dates led to her agreeing to the cave trip and wondering if the new-to-her but familiar-to-him environment might "loosen" him up just a little. She was hopeful. She did know that Pierce and Alana were a little beyond the kissing stage and wondered if that could accelerate things a little with her and Bo.

She'd find out soon as the four of them met after work on Friday, stashed all the gear in Pierce's car, and took off for Sloan's Valley, Kentucky. Kristen and Bo shared the back seat, leaning against opposite sides of the car facing each other, which was fine with Kristen since she enjoyed looking at Bo and was enthralled with the way he looked at her.

"You excited?" Bo ventured, the usual nervous smile on his face.

"I am," she replied, her excitement genuine. "I can't imagine what it will be like — probably like nothing I've ever done."

"It will be," he assured her. "You'll either love it or hate it. That's what happens almost every time." Bo knew that was very true. Hardly anyone who'd done it was neutral about caving. He was hoping Kristen would love it but knowing what he did about her, was doubtful that would happen. Still, he could hope.

"So, tell me a little about where we're going." She tentatively moved her leg so it was against Bo's.

Nervous about it but enjoying the touch of Kirsten's leg, he looked at her, trying to read her look, to decide just where she was and where she wanted to go. He'd never been good at that and gave up quickly, just happy to be here talking with her.

"We're going to the big cave, Sloan's Valley, and we'll be visiting and not exploring. It'll be easy caving."

"Easy?"

"You're a runner, good stamina, right?"

"I guess so. Hope it's the right kind of stamina."

"Stamina is stamina."

"You said, 'big cave.' How big is big?"

"Twenty-nine or thirty miles, I guess."

"Holy shit!" She giggled at her sudden outburst that she knew had surprised Bo.

"Haven't heard anything like that before from you." Bo couldn't keep from laughing, Kristen's obvious excitement infecting him.

"You'll probably hear more and worse before this week's over, and please call me Kris." She had a pleading smile on her face.

"Deal," he said. She'd told him that before, but it hadn't worked.

"Should we be checking on you guys?" Alana said, leaning over the high back of her bucket seat.

"Probably should be checking on you two," Bo suggested. He was more at ease with his caving friends than he was with Kris, but both he and Kris hoped that might change.

"Too late," Alana responded. "I finished the blowjob five minutes ago." She laughed.

"Shit, Alana, we have a guest with us," Pierce chastised, nearly losing control of the car as he turned to smack Alana's butt.

"I know, " she replied, eying Kristen, gauging her reaction.

Kristen hadn't been paying much attention to the front seat, focusing her attention instead on Bo. The front seats were bucket seats and she was sure she'd have seen any funny business going on there. Plus, she hadn't heard any of those descriptive sounds. Still, despite her red face, she had to smile at what Alana had said, hoping it might affect Bo.

"So, you two have been dating, right?" Alana ventured, embarking on another tack and looking from Bo to Kristen and back.

"Yeah," Bo answered quietly as Kristen rolled her eyes slightly. He was so freaking shy.

"Well, give her a kiss, then."

"Alana, will you fucking back off." Pierce snapped sharply.

"I will ... when they kiss. Probably too soon for a blowjob, right?" She looked at Kris as she asked that, giggling.

Kris just nodded, watching Bo's face redden and knowing hers was doing the same. She knew that's what Alana wanted to see and he was giving her a good show. She put her hand on Bo's arm, hoping that was enough of a signal to him. He looked at her tentatively and she licked her lips. If she had to, she'd jump on him and initiate the kiss herself.

He finally seemed to catch her signals, leaned forward, and kissed her. As he tried to back away, she followed him, giving his lower lip a quick nip. The wide-eyed look she got, followed by a huge smile made all the embarrassment and awkwardness worthwhile.

"Nice, Bo," Alana congratulated from the front seat, turning around and sitting down. "You guys can keep doing whatever it was you were doing when I interrupted. She got an 'I can't believe you did that' look from Pierce.

The five-hour ride continued with Kris finding out that Bo, who she knew was an only child, had parents who had married late and were both thirty-nine when he was born. Raised in a neighborhood peopled mostly by older couples with no young children, he had become adept at entertaining himself, missing out on much of the world going on around him. Thus, the extreme shyness that Kris found both fascinating and annoying.

Bo knew that Kris's parents had died when she was very young but didn't know she had been raised by the aunt whose rules for her were very basic — don't get arrested. Other than that, anything went.

They were nearly polar opposites and Kris, in particular, found that very appealing. It wasn't that Bo was hers to shape and mold as she saw fit, even though there might have been a little of that. It was more that she could, well, trust him and know where he was coming from and that what he said to her was truthful, particularly when he had to stammer it out. On their second date, she had asked him why he liked her and wanted to date her. He lit up like a Christmas lamp, bright red and shining, and told her, in bumbling two-word phrases, that he didn't know why he just did.

That simple statement told her more than she had asked. A couple of her friends had known Bo in school and now worked with her and told her she was nuts to date a loser like that. She smiled and shrugged. It was still early in the relationship, and there was a possibility that they were correct, even though she doubted it, particularly now.

Four sore backs and tired butts were finally at Sloan's Valley and Pierce turned off the highway onto the old railroad grade that eventually passed by one of the cave entrances. They, however, turned before that, down the big hill and into the valley, the site of the Screaming Willy's entrance, and the fieldhouse, the old house trailer, and the barn where they'd be staying. The owner of the property came occasionally and used the trailer but had turned over the former chicken house, now the fieldhouse, to the cavers, happy to have people around to discourage vandalism that still happened occasionally.

Cars were parked here and there as there were lots of cavers there for the weekend. The four made their way to the fieldhouse, were warmly welcomed by the nearly overflowing crowd, and made to feel at home as more chairs were unfolded and mac and cheese loaded with ham was passed to them. They sat and ate, the guitars being strummed and the interrupted singing in full swing once more.

Kris was amazed at the diversity of people she saw gathered in the small building that had been revamped and added to since the chickens had vacated it. There were a few more males than females, long hair and very short hair, tattoos, and scraggly beards along with obvious nerds and a few who probably needed a bath. Among this very disparate group were some very talented musicians. She watched Bo, much more at home here than anywhere else she had seen him as yet. He sang, wisecracked with the others, and volunteered suggestions when the talk turned to caving. He freely shared his own experiences, even making fun of some of the things he'd done. It was a different Bo, and she found this part of him refreshing.

Finally, it was time for the music and chatter to stop; if they wanted any kind of an early start in the morning they needed to get to bed. All the floor area in the fieldhouse had been claimed by the early arrivals and, as expected, the four of them were consigned to the barn, not an unpleasant place at all. Bo had slept there several times in the past.

They all picked up their gear from the car and headed for the barn.

"Damn," Alana said, her breath floating in front of her in gray, steamy clouds. "It's gotten cold as hell."

Kris was glad she had brought flannel pajamas but wondered if they'd be warm enough in the sleeping bag Bo had loaned her. She'd find out soon enough.

Bo was lamenting the fact that he hadn't at least brought some extra blankets. When he had packed the car last night it had been warm, about sixty-five, and he hadn't paid attention to the forecast for tonight. The temperature had dropped drastically during the day and, based on the ease of seeing their breath, he thought it might be in the thirties somewhere. Nothing to do about it now.

They climbed the ladder to the loft, passing the gear up hand-to-hand. Sleeping bags were spread, Bo's right beside hers, and Kris wondered about something, ready to ask Alana.

"You got a flashlight?" Alana asked before Kris could say anything.

"Yeah, Bo had me bring one as a light source in the cave." She proudly displayed her flashlight.

"Good plan. Get your pajamas and come with me. There's a little private area back here where we can change. I'm sure the boys would like a show, but it's too fucking cold."

Kris wondered if Alana thought the cold was the only thing preventing a show. She switched on the flashlight and followed her around a little wall that gave some privacy.

"See there." Alana gestured to a roll of toilet paper sitting next to a small hole in the floor. "That's for emergencies. The guys built an outhouse but, if you want to use it, it's down the ladder, out of the barn, across in front of the fieldhouse, then up the hill about who knows how fucking far? And you're guaranteed to fall at least twice on the way."

She smiled at Kris. "So, we have this delightful little hole in the floor in case of an emergency. The guys just piss off the edge of the loft." She gave a little shrug. "Plus, cold as it is tonight ..."

Since there was a roll of toilet paper by the hole, Kris realized it wasn't a joke. She had to take a deep breath when she contemplated that hole ... and possibly having to use it. Her apprehension at using it was palpable, forcing her to consider alternatives ... there didn't seem to be any.

"Put your pajamas on, and I'll turn my back while you take a quick leak before bed. I'll do mine after you leave."

There it was. And she did need to use something before she went to bed. Ugh. Kris hastily stripped off her clothes and pulled on the pajamas, not worrying about Alana seeing her naked. She was certainly not ashamed of her body; the sports and running keeping her very fit and trim. When she glanced at Alana, her pajamas were already in place, and she gestured for Kris to take her turn at the little hole.

It wasn't easy but she did it, wondering where it was going as, even in the silence of the night, she couldn't hear it hitting anything. It was her turn to be a little embarrassed as she tore off pieces of the paper that created an inordinate amount of noise in the silence of the Kentucky night.