Kros Voyeh Ch. 28

Story Info
The death of King Orgath.
10.6k words
4.77
2.3k
0

Part 28 of the 30 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/19/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers

Notes: 1) If you see this anywhere but Literotica, it isn't supposed to be there!

*****

While Draeseth had taken Krouth out of the room to discuss his travel, Lislora took a seat on the sofa with the Princesses sending Gharol to fetch the Aran jewelry.

"She told me I could have the stones set into something more Torgan but I may keep them as they are."

Ror nodded but Kas looked confused, "Why did she give you jewelry you didn't like?"

"She gave me the jewelry that had been sent with her from Ara, as a wedding gift."

The maid came out with the boxes and a faint frown. As she laid the boxes on the table and opened them she stepped back with a startled squeak.

"What's wrong...?" Lislora stood and came to see for herself, the necklace and bracelet were in their boxes but the ring box was empty. "Where is it? Did Krouth take it to clean it?"

Even as she said it she knew the man wouldn't have.

"There was a-a box in with them that shouldn't have been, your Grace. I-I saw Ximesra putting it in the chest..."

She almost opened her mouth to ask what box it was but her face flushed as she realized it was the woman's training balls.

"Someone stole Aunt Isonei's ring?" Ror was standing and peering into the boxes incredulously. The Princess took the empty ring box, removing the cushion and a note fell out. "What's this?"

Gharol picked it up and handed it to Lislora with a baffled look. The note was in an informal Aran script and it took a moment to read, My little love, this ring belonged to my Aunt Illion. It may be too small for you to wear but I wanted you to have it so that you may always remember that you are of House Ernelis, even when I'm angry with you.

"This must be a note from someone in her family. Her father or grandfather perhaps. It says the ring belonged to an Aunt Illion."

Krouth came back in with a stunned look on his face.

"It looks as if Ximesra stole the ring. Do you know who the note is from?" She held it out and he looked at her as if she were speaking a language he didn't understand for a moment.

"The ring?" Blinking he took the note, "Lady Isonei's father, Lord Eliorith, wrote this. He writes notes and puts them in the gifts he gives her. It was why she wrote one to go with the ring she gave young Hodrim."

Lislora studied his face, "Gharol, help the Princesses try on the necklace and bracelet. Krouth, come speak to me in the study."

The slim servant headed the way she gestured, wordlessly.

The girls were chattering to Gharol about the jewelry, and about having Ximesra punished for stealing the ring as she closed the study door.

"What-"

"King Orgath has been murdered. Princess Kresh... They brought his body from the tower." The man perched on the corner of the desk still holding the note. "Prince Draeseth was summoned by-by King Rogath and I was commanded to accompany him so that we could continue to discuss..."

"He wanted to send you to look after Isonei. He," she swallowed and took a seat in the chair, "he had a terrible feeling this morning as he did when his mother took ill and died."

Silence stretched for a long moment, "What is being done? What needs to be done? Is her Majesty tending the body?"

"It will be left to the priests, your Grace. The Queen is distraught and they had no daughters."

"I'll do it. Draeseth is the only son he has with a wife... And I've tended to bodies before."

"I will escort you, your Grace." Krouth laid the note on the desk. "If Ximesra stole the ring it was almost certainly to give it back to Lady Isonei. It was foolish of her. The priesthood will take it if they find it and sell it for the Lady's keeping."

"The way the Kamrus looked at her jewelry I think he might keep it for himself." Lislora shook her head.

"It is a family heirloom for her House, if they sold it back to Lord Eliorith they would get a fine price. More than the ring is truly worth."

Leaving the study, she was almost startled to see the Princesses turn delighted smiles on her, and Kas wearing the necklace and bracelet.

"If you don't like them, we want them, Aunt Lislora! Grandfather will buy them from you!"

She forced herself to put on a smile. "I'll speak to your Uncle Draeseth. They do suit you, Princess Kas. Do they look as lovely on your sister?"

The youngest girl beamed, and Ror reached out to touch the bracelet, "I'll have Father make the same for me in gold, with different stones. I like them but the pink stones are so peculiar."

"The clear gems symbolize a pure heart and the pink represent beauty, in Ara." Krouth put on a tone that was nearly obsequious. "Gharol should bring out all of your jewelry, your Grace, for their Highnesses to enjoy."

"An excellent idea, Krouth." She nodded toward Gharol, "Help her fetch them."

As the servants went into the bedroom she took a breath, "I have a duty I-"

The door to the rooms opened and Adareth came in, startling the girls as he tearfully tried to embrace them.

"Uncle?" Ror looked to Lislora with a frown.

"He must be missing your Aunt Isonei." Lislora's tone was more cheerful than she'd intended and she came to grip the young Prince's shoulder. "Perhaps the two of you can cheer him by showing him my jewelry and telling him of the theft? When he feels better he may tell you stories and entertain you if you ask him sweetly enough."

"Theft?" Adareth looked up at her in bafflement.

"We suspect the Munian maid stole Isonei's ring. It's an heirloom for House Ernelis and Krouth believes the maid would have wanted to return it to her."

The Prince rubbed his eyes, "Did she expect the confusion?"

"I doubt she expected anyone to open the box so soon. It was packed to be sent to the Kroscur."

He nodded with what might have been relief and then noticed Kas was wearing Isonei's jewelry. "That looks beautiful on you, Kas."

Krouth and Gharol came out of the bedroom with more boxes, the maid looked slightly ill.

"I will leave the Princesses with you, your Highness. I... I'm going to go attend your father." Lislora inclined her head solemnly and the Prince rose from his crouched position to offer her an awkward embrace.

"My brother's wife is my sister. Please. Call me Adareth."

°°°°°°°°°°

Washing and preparing the King wasn't like it had been when Lislora had washed and prepared her father or her husband, or even the younger Lord Vargath. They had all died of illness. His Majesty had been stabbed with something and there were wounds on his hands, face, and throat.

It had been a relief when Gillaugrim himself and the two Hallocs that attended him had come to assist. She'd already washed the body carefully and prepared it as best she could without having been given clothes to dress the body in.

"I thank you for beginning." The Kamrus smiled faintly. "He wasn't kind to you Duchess Lislora, and you still chose to attend him when even his own wife and kept women declined?"

"He's dead, your Excellency. It no longer matters. My husband loved his father and because I love my husband I will tend his father's body as I tended my own." Lislora hesitated, "But I don't know what to do about... about the wounds."

"We will tend to them." One of the Hallocs stepped forward and she noticed he had a small bundle in his hands.

"Had he not sent her away he would have two dutiful women tending him." The Kamrus smiled wryly. "Lady Isonei will be writing her thank you note for the Queen."

"She wrote one to the King before she left." Lislora stepped back to stand next to him as the Hallocs began looking over the wounds. "She was fond of his Majesty but I... I doubt she could have helped."

At Gillaugrim's curious frown she continued, "When one of Halloc Aurim's priests passed into Ganas' embrace in the Kroscur, he was sleeping on her floor. She discovered it and woke the other Brother with her screams.

"That was the first time Isonei had ever seen a body. She said in Leria the Dagas are concealed in their crypts and when her grandfather died, he was already wrapped when they took him for their rites. The woman was so upset she didn't want to go back to her room. She refused to allow the priests to sleep on the floor again because the sight reminded her of the dead Brother."

"I was told it affected her deeply." The Kamrus nodded.

"She's better with many things than I am. Isonei remembers people's names and she can make the mood lighter in any terrible circumstance, but I think this duty is beyond her."

One of the Hallocs turned to glance at her with a smile, "If you sew well, your Grace, perhaps you can help Halloc Hroth stitch the hand wounds."

"Of course."

The gruesome work took less time than she'd expected and, after some peculiar paste had been applied over the stitching on his face and throat, the King looked much better. It was decided gloves would be best for his hands. Her work wasn't unsightly, they assured her, but the paste was deemed too difficult to apply to his fingers.

The King's clothing was brought and Gillaugrim helped her dress his Majesty. Once finished, he looked presentable enough to be laid out in the Temple for the day and night that would be required.

The Kamrus opened the door to send for the priests who would escort the body and Draeseth stepped in as he finished with a grim look to the body now laid out peacefully.

"I thank you, Kamrus."

"Thank your wife as well. She tended King Orgath as well as any daughter could have been expected to. Ganas blessed you with your first wife and with your second. I expect to see you in the Temple to show him your devotion."

The large Prince's face cracked in a small smile. "As often as I can. He's blessed me more than I could ever hope to deserve."

Lislora took his offered arm and stepped into the hall where the other Princes were gathered, all now, like her husband, in black. At the sight of Adareth, her eyes widened.

"Where are-"

"Ror and Kas are with Mother." Adareth inclined his head. "I entertained them until Rogath was able to come for them."

"You attended Father?" Rogath gave her a speculative look. "I overheard the Kamrus say you did it as well as any daughter."

"I did. Because I love my husband I tended to his father as I tended to my own." Lislora lifted her chin slightly and he offered a shallow bow. That the other Princes bowed deeper baffled her until she remembered Rogath was now King. Thinking of him as such was an adjustment.

"I... I thank you, my King."

"Have something to eat and prepare to go into mourning. My brother is needed for now, after we escort father to the Temple there are things that must be discussed."

"Yes, my King." She squeezed Draeseth's arm before she left his side and made her way back to their rooms.

'Prepare to go into mourning'... Black cloth was going to become very expensive very quickly. There was no way to have a mourning cloak made affordably on such short order now that his Majesty had passed into Ganas' embrace and funds must already be tight with Isonei's guards needing to be paid. It wasn't the appropriate time to broach the subject of selling the Aran jewelry to Rogath for his daughters either.

Krouth might have an idea. The man always seemed to have a suggestion.

Walking into her rooms she stopped and stared at the chests now standing in the main room. The slim servant bustled out of the bedroom with Gharol following behind.

"Your Grace!" The maid looked aghast. "Your gown!"

Glancing down, she realized that her clothing had gotten both wet and stained in the course of her duties.

"I should have put on something else before I tended to the King but... I wasn't thinking about it. I need to change regardless. King Rogath commanded me to prepare for mourning." Frowning Lislora gestured to the chests and before she could speak Krouth bowed.

"These are part of Prince Draeseth's inheritance. His mother's chests of clothes and jewelry that his father kept. I've already sent some of the clothes that would be appropriate for mourning to be cleaned and looked over by a seamstress. The mourning cloak that she commissioned when her father died was in a chest."

"Will it be large enough?" She couldn't help but feel relieved. Whether it fit well or not there would be many others with ill-fitting black garments in the Court, she was certain.

"Duchess Athelosa was also a," Krouth paused, "robust woman. I don't believe the garments will require much alteration."

"Should I fetch a meal for you, your Grace?" Gharol was still looking at the stained gown with a furrowed brow.

"Do. And I would like to wash before I change into my fresh clothes."

"As the Duchess pleases."

°°°°°°°°°°

After her wash and her meal, Lislora looked over the clothes that had already been brought up. They hadn't been washed, merely aired, wiped down, and hemmed. The smell of the herbs they'd been packed with was almost overpowering but it would dissipate.

Choosing one, Gharol assisted her into the black gown. The style was out of fashion, the cut was exceedingly modest and the embroidery was heavily beaded with silver and gold beads but it didn't matter, the edges that would show beneath the mourning cloak were solidly black.

Once dressed and the mourning cap was pinned in place over her braids she left the bedroom, choosing to wait for her husband without the heavy mourning cloak.

Krouth was waiting patiently as she entered the main room. "I spoke to the maids, your Grace. Their Highnesses are expected to return with King Rogath shortly, the private blessing of the dead King and the new King have nearly been completed. King Orgath's body will be displayed for his mourning subjects for a day and a night as is tradition. Word of his murder will carry quickly.

"The nobility will begin arriving to swear their fealty to the new King in the coming days."

"Have my over cloak ready if-"

The knock at the door made her pause. The slim servant moved to answer it immediately.

"The Duchess is summoned to the King's audience chamber."

"She will come at once." Krouth inclined his head before closing the door.

Rising she let Gharol and Krouth pull the garment onto her and fasten it. Duchess Athelosa had been a little taller but the cloak was very nearly the right size and had remained unhemmed.

It felt surreal to be walking in the palace wearing such clothes, but, she noticed as she walked, many servants were now wearing black sashes or cloths draped over their shoulders.

Lislora made her way to the antechamber used for waiting nobles and was surprised to see several of the women from the Queen's retinue already there, with men who looked familiar and she was certain she was expected to know, patiently waiting in their own mourning cloaks. There was nowhere left to sit.

An older woman, one of the Queen's sisters, a Duchess whose name escaped her, gave her a sour look and muttered to Lady Sebba, "I told you, everyone will be trying to be seen first. She couldn't even wait for her husband."

For a moment she was at a loss and then she decided to try what Isonei might have done. She smiled at the woman. "I was summoned by the King. My husband is with his brothers."

The door to the King's audience chamber opened and everyone rose immediately, crowding in front of her.

"Duchess Lislora?" Draeseth's displeased voice parted the crowd.

She kept her head up as she made her way through the still standing group to take his arm. "Husband."

"When will-"

Draeseth cut off the man speaking with a scowl. "King Rogath will see you when he's ready."

Inside the audience chamber, the brothers were gathered on the sofas. "Uncle Rudorth is waiting impatiently and I thought your Aunt Hegana was going to scold me for fetching my wife and not allowing her in."

King Rogath smiled faintly. "Who else is waiting? More of our uncles?"

"And half of the Queen's retinue."

The King rubbed his eyes and his smile faded. "Sebba?"

"Yes."

"They can wait until after Father has been put in the royal crypt. To have them kneel so soon feels disrespectful." He glanced at Burgath who rose and went out to speak to the gathered nobles.

Lislora took a seat next to Draeseth waiting to be told why she'd been summoned. As Burgath returned the King rose from his seat and paced to the desk that had belonged to his father, choosing to stand in front of it rather than to sit behind it.

"I will not allow anyone to murder a King of Torga and go unpunished. Kresh has been insisting Father attacked her and that she defended herself. That's a lie and I want the truth. After we get it I want her executed. She's already threatened that either I make her Queen or I send her back to Phaethia with my girls.

"I told her no murderess would be Queen and she... I believe that if she's permitted to take my girls she'll kill them. She said our bloodlines shouldn't have crossed and the Imperial line will not be..." He gritted his teeth and glared at the door.

"No one will harm them, brother," Draeseth spoke up firmly. "You have my word."

"I thank you. If we can get her to confess the truth, not even the Emperor can protest that she was put to death."

"We need someone trustworthy to gain Kresh's confidence and pull the truth out of her." Burgath was looking expectantly at her and Lislora glanced at her husband.

"My wife will do whatever is required."

"That woman hates me, husband! She was fond of Isonei."

"Isonei upset her to the point she tried to murder the woman." Rogath walked around the desk to sit before thinking better of it and returning to perch on the arm of the sofa next to Draeseth. "You have a reputation, a not wholly unearned reputation, for not getting along with Isonei either. She might speak to you."

"I..." Her head was swimming, how she was expected to win the woman over baffled her. "I couldn't even make friends with her when I was trying to..."

"I can instruct you." Burgath leaned forward, "Isonei managed to charm the woman completely with a combination of praise and refusing to tolerate insult. You may have to speak ill of King Orgath to prove you weren't cowed by his treatment of you but-"

"I won't speak ill of the dead! He was our King!" Lislora's heart beat wildly enough she could feel it pulsing in her fingers.

"You will." Burgath gave her a firm, cool look. "It was no secret that our father disliked you and failed to treat you as well as perhaps he should have. That smug Phaethian harridan isn't aware that you tended father's body like a dutiful daughter today. You'll go into her rooms to attend her. If she demands to know why, you'll simply tell her that her husband doesn't want her to have any kind faces in the days before her death or tell her whatever you feel you need to to make her comfortable. She may be sympathetic to you or at least pretend to be.

"We need to know why she murdered our father. I don't believe for a moment that he attacked her and she was forced to defend herself, but if her story doesn't change we're bound by the accord we have with Phaethia to return her and her children to the Emperor."

"She'll kill my girls," Rogath looked like the image of his brother Draeseth as he scowled at her. "That spiteful bitch will do it as punishment for not making her Queen."

"She will be made to speak," Draeseth told his brother firmly. "If she won't speak to Lislora, she'll speak to me. I will wring the truth from her like water from a rag. If you have to execute me afterward, so be it."

Without looking at his brother, Rogath reached out and put his hand on Draeseth's shoulder. "If Lislora can't get the truth out of her I'll let you and I'll raise your son as my own. I won't let her take my girls."

Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers