Kros Voyeh Ch. 29

Story Info
Too much excitement and not enough.
10.8k words
4.77
2.8k
1

Part 29 of the 30 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/19/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers

Notes: 1) If you see this anywhere but Literotica, it isn't supposed to be there!

*****

Lislora sat up sipping her veorola tea as she watched Krouth go into the closet. "But he's well? Have they put him in the tower for striking the Kamrus?"

"Your Grace..." Gharol wrung her hands.

"By order of the King, your Grace," the slim servant came out of the closet holding one of Draeseth's tunics, "we are not to discuss the matter with you until morning. Women prone to illness and collapse in times of worry have been known to have difficulty carrying their children."

She closed her eyes, sending a silent prayer that Ganas wouldn't allow that to happen and he paused.

"His Majesty would not have his brother lose two sons. Rest. Trust in the King and trust in Ganas. His Highness is safe and well."

Taking a deep breath, she nodded. Draeseth was safe and well. Lislora's thoughts leapt to Isonei alone and on her knees weeping in the garden with only the servants to comfort her, if Ganas chose to let her feel the woman's grief perhaps it would be just. She drank the rest of her warm tea and laid back down, unable to sleep. After a time she rose and fetched the Aran's Book of Truths, but she couldn't bring herself to open it.

Things kept running through her mind. She wanted to pray, but her failed attempt at comforting Isonei echoed in her ears, 'You can take comfort in the Book of Truths, all things happen in accordance to Ganas' will. It may be painful but he knows best.' Ganas had taken a loved and wanted child from a woman who would have dedicated the boy to him. What had she done other than defy the Kamruses and be wretched to a woman who was nothing but kind to her?

She broke into tears again and Gharol gently touched her arm and looked at her with such concern she embraced the woman.

"Forgive me, Gharol, I..."

"Your Grace, I want to help. If you tell me what you need..."

Lislora let a bitter laugh escape as she shook her head. "I need to speak to a priest, but I'm too afraid of what they may say."

"Kamrus Rimathe seemed like a good man." The maid helped her back to her bed. "I'll ask if he'll come."

Pressing her face into a cool pillow she waited.

With a start, she woke to the feeling of someone touching her shoulder. Hodrim was peering at her with concern.

"I told you not to wake her, Hodrim." A priest frowned at the boy from the doorway and entered the bedroom. "Your Grace, forgive-"

"Hodrim is like my own child, according to the Arrangement I made with Prince Draeseth, I think he is mine now that Isonei..." She swallowed and carefully sat up. "He's allowed to wake me. And I-I needed to speak to a priest."

"I'm Halloc Corrim, your Grace. Kamrus Rimathe sent me with young Hodrim to speak to you. He felt you might take comfort in the boy."

Looking at the shyly smiling boy she felt her heart ache. "I do take comfort in him, but this... this isn't a conversation for a child's ears. Gharol?"

"Your Grace?" The maid was in the doorway in an instant.

"Isonei and Ximesra always managed to entertain him and keep him from being bored..."

The woman smiled as she curtsied, "I'll do my best, your Grace."

The priest closed the door as they left and looked at her with a frown. "Is this something related to your Arrangement? What is it you don't want the child to hear?"

"I..." Faced with the priest, she struggled to put things into words. Twisting her fingers she tried not to break into tears again.

"You're tired and upset, you should be resting." He turned back toward the door as if to leave.

"Isonei-I," Lislora blurted out, trying to make him stay, "I had tried to comfort her..."

The Halloc looked baffled as he faced her again, "That was kind-"

"No! I-I told her to take comfort in the Book of Truths, that all things happen in accordance with Ganas will, she-the maid said it was like pouring sand in an open wound. Why did Ganas take her child? She was always kind and she would have dedicated the boy to him." The words came out in a rush but the question she needed to ask was on the tip of her tongue and she couldn't force herself to speak it.

"He was promised to Ganas and as painful as it may be, Ganas used the child and his mother to guide Torga. If the child had not died Lady Isonei would not have pleaded to have the slaves of Torga freed. She should be allowed to become a Sister. Ganas touched her, and her son, without living to be born, did more for Torga than most priests can dream of.

"It would be cold comfort to a mother, I suspect. But his death had purpose. The child belonged to Ganas and he is with Ganas."

Lislora closed her eyes and nodded, the words seemed reasonable but the memory of the woman's grief made them feel somehow cruel.

"This is what you wished to discuss so urgently?" His brow furrowed.

"No. I... It's hard to speak of it and I..."

He blinked. "You're afraid for your own child?"

"Yes. I... Isonei was kinder than I am and I didn't do enough to..." She swallowed the lump in her throat, "Would Ganas punish me by making me feel her grief?"

"Ganas does not punish us by harming others, your Grace." Halloc Corrim stepped forward. "All things happen in accordance with his will, when we allow them to. You need to rest. Allow me to pray with you and things may seem less clouded."

"Please, I-" She blinked back tears and drew a deep breath, "I've been so afraid."

"Lie down, your Grace, and I will pray with you."

With relief, Lislora lay back and closed her eyes as he began intoning a prayer for Ganas to ease her fear and put her on her right path.

When she woke the smell of purifying smoke hung faintly in the air and she felt calm and reassured. Rising and going to the window, the sky was beginning to lighten but the rising sun wasn't in her window's view. She turned as the door cautiously opened and Krouth peered in.

"Your Grace should sleep longer."

"I think I've already slept through the early prayers."

"Yes, your Grace. Halloc Corrim suggested we not wake you for them but to pray with you when you woke, if you wished."

"I'd prefer to pray with my husband. Where is Draeseth?"

The man seemed to wince and glanced back into the main room before stepping into the bedroom and closing the door. "His Highness is in the cells. I was cautioned to speak gently to you on the matter and to lie if I must to keep your spirits up but I feel the matter must be spoken of."

"They put him in the cells for striking Kamrus Olauth?"

"He killed the Kamrus with a single blow, your Grace. The Kamruses are meeting and discussing matters, some feel that Ganas would not have allowed it unless the Kamrus had strayed. The man was deeply unpleasant and there had been... rumors of unwholesome behaviors. Sending a woman so clearly touched by Ganas to her death when she should have been helped to free herself from the grip of the demon Dagas was wrong and perhaps he chose to punish it."

"But he's in the cells?"

"His Highness said some things that make the arguments in his favor difficult to believe. He publicly spoke against the priesthood. Brother Odgar has been recalled from the Keep."

Lislora took a deep breath and tried to take everything in. This was a mess but it was something that she could still put in order, somehow she could feel it.

"I want to speak to Draeseth and I want to attend prayers at the Temple and speak to Kamrus Gillaugrim afterward. I need breakfast and-" She covered her face. "I need a lighter dress and mourning cloak before I can go anywhere."

"His Majesty has already made the request on your behalf. I expect a lighter gown to be delivered by midmorning. It will be plain but it should be light enough to be worn under your mourning cloak without causing you distress."

"Would lending him the Aran jewelry to have duplicates for the princesses made-"

"The lavendela oil might be better. Her Majesty has complained of headaches and the Princesses may find the scent comforting, Phaethian nobility use it to soothe children. The jewelry should be kept to sell or donate if his Highness needs to give recompense to the priesthood."

"Of course. Fetch the bottle and lay out paper and quill for me in the study. Send Gharol in to help me dress."

"As the Duchess pleases. I'll have breakfast brought as well."

°°°°°°°°°°

The lighter dress had arrived in time for Lislora to attend the midmorning prayers and as much as she wanted to see Draeseth first, this felt important. There were startled looks from some as she entered the Temple but no one stopped her or interfered as she knelt in the place Draeseth usually did. Gharol and Krouth knelt behind her.

The midmorning prayers were of trust in Ganas to guide them and their King, of his open arms and willingness to forgive. She felt calm and ready to speak to any of the priests once they had ended. After the dismissal she rose and waited, from the looks she'd been given she expected to be approached. Someone behind her cleared their throat and she turned to see a man dressed as a commoner with a familiar face. Lislora blinked in surprise as she recognized him.

"Halloc Aurim?"

"No, your Grace. Not any longer. Kamrus Olauth stripped me of my-" He winced, "I was cast out for arguing on behalf of Lady Isonei. I am no longer a priest." The man bowed low, "I wished to offer an apology to you for-"

"No apology needs to be given." She inclined her head to him slightly. "And if you require employment speak to Master Krouth. Isonei always spoke of your kindness and I and my husband respect you for your skills and knowledge even if you've sometimes frightened me with your sternness."

He bowed again more deeply. "I thank you, your Grace. I had not expected such-such warmth."

"For a short time the Kroscur had a very gracious Duchess, I may be more shrewd but I intend to emulate the woman's grace as best I can. Isonei brought out the best in people, I admired and envied her skill."

"You will do well, your Grace." Aurim looked pleased and relieved as he lifted his head and glanced to Krouth.

"Your Grace has a house in the Kroscur..." Krouth eyed the former Halloc speculatively. "A house of healing-"

"It should be donated to the priesthood if her Grace wishes to have a house of healing in the Kroscur." Kamrus Gillaugrim's firm tone made her turn in surprise.

"I wished to speak to you, Kamrus. This morning, when I had recovered enough from yesterday's difficulties, I was told that Brother Odgar had been recalled from the Keep of Kroscur? Do you intend to withdraw all priests and abandon us to Mezaldir or will you be returning him to his duties promptly?" Lislora arched a brow at him as she straightened to say all she intended to with some semblance of pride. "My family has always been religious, my cousin included, whatever upset he's enduring he can be brought back to his proper path and I intend to see to it.

"I was once told that Ganas does not allow his priests to be out of their proper order and I would expect that if he could spare Isonei, who was nearly drowned in poison, from death he would have spared Kamrus Olauth if he had wished the man to be spared. That man delighted in frightening the woman and trying to upset her when he came into her rooms. To my shame, I refrained from defending her because I knew he had the King's permission to do so.

"King Orgath had his virtues but his temper wasn't one of them. A failing my husband shares. But perhaps I could have spoken up when he made the young priest with him flinch or made Halloc Aurim, a man I know to be devout, stern, and unflinching in his faith look unsettled and confused. I-"

"Peace, Duchess!" The Kamrus lifted his hand and studied her face with a measure of dismay and a hint of amusement. "I will return Brother Odgar to his post, and if your husband recants the things he said in anger he will be welcomed back. There have been discussions of restoring Aurim to his position but he has a reputation for harshness much like Kamrus Olauth and few who will speak for him."

"I will. And I would trust him to oversee a house of healing in the Kroscur." She lifted her chin slightly and earned a faint smile from the Kamrus.

"It will be taken into account in the discussions, I assure you, your Grace." Kamrus Gillaugrim studied her face for a moment, "Have you spoken with his Highness yet?"

"Not yet. I needed to wait for a lighter gown to be delivered. Being in a heavy gown and a heavy mourning cloak didn't help my difficulties yesterday. I chose to come pray before I visited him."

He inclined his head. "We were all concerned to hear you had collapsed. It eases my mind to see you at the prayers."

"I thank you for your concern, and I should thank Kamrus Rimathe for sending Halloc Corrim to speak with me and help settle my worries. I would have enjoyed spending time with Hodrim if I had been less upset. The child has Isonei's talent for making difficult things feel lighter."

"I will relay the thanks for you." His smile grew warmer. "He and Kamrus Rimathe have made good impressions on the Queen and it seems the Princesses are fond of them both as well."

"He's a good man. I wish Hodrim had chosen a position closer than the Dalcur but he's a sweet boy and Kamrus Rimathe is a patient man. The child can only benefit. I would feel better if I could give him an appropriate gift, a Torgan gift. But..."

"The gifts Lady Isonei gave him were very Aran but impressively rich."

"Draeseth said the ring was set with a rubina? She called it something else."

"A very fine one." He smiled ruefully. "I doubt he knows its worth, but as a gift from his 'Alma', it's priceless to him. He's been praying for her almost ceaselessly. Rimathe makes him perform other tasks at times to keep him from being consumed by his worry." Gillaugrim glanced at the Halloc who had come to stand close by. "I would stay to speak to you longer, Duchess Lislora, but my attention is required elsewhere. I have no doubt you will bring my cousin back to his proper path, and promptly." He inclined his head with something like amusement on his face. "Be well, your Grace."

"I thank you, Kamrus Gillaugrim." She inclined her head as well, turning back to her servants as he stepped away. "I need to see my husband."

Gharol dropped a brief curtsy and led the way, Krouth had stepped aside to speak to Aurim. The man caught up to them by the time they had reached the palace again and led the way down to the cells. She felt her throat tightening as they made their way into the cool, dim, narrow passages, allowing Krouth to speak to the guards. The sight of Draeseth, disheveled and sitting on a wooden bench in a bare cell with his head in his hands wrenched at her heart when they were permitted entry.

She stopped and had to take a moment to gather herself before speaking. "Krouth, inquire if his Highness will be remaining here or if he will be moved to the tower. I want blankets, cushions, a table and chairs, as well as everything required for a washing room brought immediately regardless. His brothers should have at least seen to that."

As the Black Prince lifted his head and looked at her with a nearly broken expression she added, "And have a hot meal brought."

"As the Duchess pleases." Both servants hurried away to see it all done.

"Are you well?" Draeseth rose from the bench and came to stand close to the bars.

"I am. There was too much upset yesterday and I was too warm in the heavy gown and mourning cloak. I rested and King Rogath had a lighter gown made for me, I'm-" Lislora stepped closer and reached through the bars to touch his chest. "I'm well and I think Krouth would tie me to the bed before he let me risk our son."

"I will tell him to do so." He bent to kiss her hand. "When he came with word you had collapsed..."

"No one has told me all of what happened yesterday."

"I lost my wits in a fit of temper. I shouted down Kamrus Gillaugrim and my brothers, I said things that will be difficult to forgive."

"When I spoke to him earlier, I had him return Brother Odgar to his post and-" she paused as he made a displeased sound, "the Kamrus assured me that if you recanted you-"

"I said things that my brothers will find difficult to forgive. I have no interest in the priests' forgiveness, I don't want any priests in my Keep."

Lislora gave him a stern look and he began to smile faintly, "I am the Duchess and I require a priest in the sacellum. Once your temper cools, husband, you're going to offer apologies and give me a proper marriage as you promised."

He made an amused sound in his throat. "As my Duchess pleases."

"And I don't think your brothers are too angry with you. King Rogath looked in on me himself and issued commands that I was not to be disturbed with anything that might upset me until I had recovered. The Princesses were worried about me."

"And the boy, Hodrim?" He rubbed her hand.

"Interrupted his prayers for Isonei to look in on me."

Draeseth took a breath and then leaned against the bars, exhaling heavily. "He's a good boy, and my nieces are far better than their mother. I was concerned that the Kamrus might have tried to turn him against you."

"Kamrus Rimathe wouldn't do that. He's a good man and I'm glad Hodrim chose him." She smiled ruefully, "Though I think Isonei may have nudged him in the man's direction."

"I don't doubt it. Has there been any word of her?"

"Not yet." Ougath's voice made her jump and Draeseth frowned, holding her hand more tightly.

"My Duchess?"

"I've been easily startled today." Lislora tried to dismiss it with a shake of her head.

"She should still be resting." Ougath came to stand nearby. "Rogath wanted me to tell her you'll be in the cells for a few days, brother. He'll allow her to make it more comfortable for you but the things you said... he has to make a show of punishing you, you understand."

"I do. I wish to apologize to him and to you. I will do it publicly if you wish."

"Rogath would prefer that, it would make things easier. We understood why you lost your wits. The prospect of losing both of your wives and both your sons... the priests were no help in calming you. But it may be at least a day longer before he brings you out to apologize."

Her husband made a sound of agreement and inclined his head but Lislora had no intention of letting the matter rest so easily.

"Very well. If my husband is going to be in the cells, I will stay here-"

"You will not." Draeseth scowled down at her, "I would have you in our rooms and looked after, woman."

"And I would prefer to remain with my husband. I have the right-"

"I thought you said she was obedient, brother?" Ougath was grinning as she gave him a sour look.

"She was, before I released Isonei." Her husband reached through the bars and pulled her closer. "If you argue with me, I'll put you over my knees when I get out of this cell woman."

Trying to will her face not to flush she gave him a sharp look, "I have the right to stay with my husband. How else can I make certain you're being looked after? And I know you, husband, you need my company whether or not you want to admit it."

"I have never loved a woman more than I love you at this moment, my flower. I will sleep better and be most content knowing you are safe and comfortable. You'll stay in our rooms and I won't allow you to argue with me."

"If she argues with two Princes of Torga I may have King Rogath command her." Ougath smiled and stepped back, gesturing at the cell door and allowing the guard to open it for Krouth and a handful of other servants carrying blankets, cushions, and other goods.

"I have sent for two tables and two chairs, your Grace, so that you may share a meal with his Highness." Krouth didn't turn as he directed the servants placing their items by gesture. "The tables can be placed against the bars."

Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers