Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I seem to recall hearing that someplace," laughed Paula as she gazed at the couple sitting so close together. "You're an inspiration to the whole country, or more accurately, to the entire world. Sometimes I have trouble believing you're my daughter."

The remainder of Gwen's day was spent in their suite reviewing files and documents concerning the recent interactions between Russia and the United States. Steve and Gwen felt that America had to develop some stronger ties with Russia, finding common ground and some measure of trust. War had appeared far too likely a few short weeks ago and the couple was intent on finding ways to scale back the conflicts with President Kozlov and Russia.

The next morning, Gwen and Steve were driven to the Kremlin to meet with President Kozlov. After giving photographers enough time to get hundreds of photos of the world leaders looking gregarious, Kozlov led the American couple into a large meeting room and offered them comfortable seats near a chair that was obviously his.

"I understand that you are fluent in Russian, Madam President. May I suggest that we dispense with any interpreters and enjoy a private conversation?" began Kozlov politely.

"I think that's an excellent suggestion," replied Gwen with a genuine smile. "We can be more candid without concern for what others may hear or take away from our meeting."

Steve remained silent as Kozlov and Gwen engaged in a far ranging conversation. He couldn't help but marvel at how well Gwen interacted with her Russian counterpart. It was obvious that Kozlov was impressed with Gwen's knowledge of issues concerning the two nations, but there was something else and it took Steve a few more minutes to put his finger on it.

Kozlov was under Gwen's spell! Steve had sat across the desk, looking Kozlov in the eye, insisting that Russia withdraw to previous positions and even subtly suggesting that the United States might resort to using its nuclear arsenal. The man's eyes had been hard, but they showed no emotion. Kozlov masked his emotions very well.

Steve felt like he was now looking at a different person. Kozlov's eyes seldom left Gwen as he smiled and nodded at her comments. For her part, Gwen was as charming and persuasive as Steve had ever seen her, and she was having a noticeable effect on the crusty Russian.

Kozlov had served in Nobokov's administration and had seen Gwen several times over the years, but had never been introduced, or even gotten near the beautiful American. That didn't mean that he hadn't been impressed with her beauty and grace. He had collected all of her movies and had even employed the use of the 'pause' bottom on his player more than a few times during some of Gwen's steamier scenes. To sit so close to the American icon of beauty and see her smile at his remarks caused the older man to feel genuine affection for the President of the United States. It was that softening of attitude that Steve noticed as he quietly observed his wife spin her magic.

"Gwen? Mr. President? I apologize for interrupting, but I would like to be excused to visit the men's room. I hope you don't mind. I'll only be gone a few minutes," promised Steve as he watched the Russian leader turn his attention away from Gwen.

"I understand perfectly!" chuckled the older man. "Please feel free to visit our bathroom. Just step outside and one of my aides will show you the way."

Meanwhile, Gwen had a slightly amused look on her face as she nodded in agreement with President Kozlov. She knew that Steve never had any bladder issues. She always claimed that he had cast iron organs, and he had used the bathroom a few minutes before they left the hotel. He must have determined that Gwen being alone with President Kozlov would somehow be an advantage.

It was almost half an hour later when Steve tapped softly on the door before opening it. "Sorry, I took so long. All of this traveling seems to be taking its toll on me," apologized Steve as he entered the room.

"Again, I understand completely," commiserated the Russian. "Our time is up for today, but President Hammer and I will be meeting once more before you depart, and there is the dinner tonight in her honor. I will see you both then."

"Thank you for your hospitality and candid conversation, Mr. President," replied Gwen as she stood and without hesitation, moved to embrace the Russian leader. "It's my hope that Russia and the United States will be able to work together to resolve issues before they again become so dire as they recently were. You have been most gracious."

Steve saw surprise and then pleasure on Kozlov's face as Gwen hugged him. Once Gwen stepped back, Steve shook the Russian's hand firmly. "Thank you for being so kind to us and for making Gwen so comfortable. You'll find that she's very loyal and considerate to those people she cares for. We look forward to the state dinner and any future meetings."

"Your wife is a remarkable woman," replied Kozlov as he shook Steve's hand. "America has a leader with compassion and strength. It's my hope that Russia and the United States can work together to resolve many of the issues facing our nations.

"Madam President, please feel free to call me any time of the day or night. I believe that communication between you and me will benefit our countries significantly. I will arrange my schedule so that I can visit the United States next year. Thank you for the invitation."

"We look forward to your visit," smiled Gwen. "I only hope that you will feel as welcome in the United States as Steve and I have felt in Russia."

After the meeting Gwen and Steve traveled back to their hotel for a late lunch with their group before preparing for the state dinner later that evening. "You wanted me to be alone with Kozlov and it did make a difference. Once you left the room he began opening up on a variety of topics. Surprisingly, the biggest one on his mind was the health of his granddaughter"

Steve simply raised an interested eyebrow and nodded for Gwen to continue. "She's five years old and was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Her doctors recommended our hospital here for her treatment. Her doctor told him that it was one of the very best children's hospitals in the world. I was taken completely by surprise," admitted Gwen.

"That's pretty serious, but she can be cured, right?" asked Steve.

"Depending on the subtype, the success rate is often pretty good and getting better," replied Gwen. "Kozlov asked a lot of questions about treatment and cures. He's extremely concerned. I reassured him as much as I could without seeing any files on the child. He asked me to look at her records to see what I think and to personally look in on the little girl."

"He knows that you're a pediatric surgeon, doesn't he?" questioned Steve. "You're a great doctor, but leukemia is outside your area of expertise."

"He knew that, but I took the time to explain it to him anyway. He still wants me to go over her diagnosis and treatment just to be sure she's being treated properly. He's looking for emotional support for his family and himself. It's not uncommon. I told him that we're scheduled to visit the hospital tomorrow and I'd check on her, on the QT. As you know, this is a private matter and not for public consumption."

"Interesting how it all works. He's one of the world's most powerful people, but he's at the mercy of technology and the skill and knowledge of the doctors treating his granddaughter," offered Steve. "This sure makes him seem more human than he appeared when I met with him just a few weeks ago."

Gwen's friends and family gathered in a private dining room in their hotel for lunch. "Now that we have Hans, Claude, and James here, I'd like to know what was said to Kozlov about possible nuclear options during the negotiations," stated Gwen as she looked at the three men that had accompanied Steve and Naomi on his diplomatic mission a few weeks prior. "I thought Steve might gloss it over, so I'm asking you gentlemen to fill me in."

Hans quickly glanced at James and then Claude. "James would be the one to ask. He discussed it with Steve while we were flying to China."

"You were sitting right next to me!" pointed out Stephanie's husband. "I really think that Steve would be the best person to explain the entire process."

"James, why don't you tell me?" prodded Gwen. "Steve already told me his version. I'm just curious about anything he may have left out."

"If you insist, Madam President," responded a clearly uncomfortable James Hawthorne. "Kozlov was inferring that he wasn't about to be pushed into realigning his troops because of some casual promise he made to Steve. He more or less told Steve to go pound sand, as you Americans like to say. Steve simply informed him that, as president, you were prepared to do whatever was necessary to protect the United States in the event of a war. Since Russia had you at a tactical disadvantage, all options were on the table.

"Steve never mentioned a nuclear response, but Kozlov assumed that Steve had implied it. He became a bit agitated, but then he agreed to keep his promise."

"You sat at the negotiating table and threatened Russia with nuclear war?" gasped Paula as she turned to Steve. "Wasn't that extreme? Gwen would never use atomic weapons!"

"Mom, please don't assume what I would or wouldn't do to protect the United States. Kozlov pretty much told me the same story that James just gave us. He asked me if I was really prepared to use nuclear weapons."

"Well, what did you tell him?" asked Paula.

"I told him that Steve has my complete confidence and I would follow his advice on any decision if Steve felt it was necessary," replied Gwen calmly.

"My God! You'd actually do that?" asked a stunned Paula.

"There are two things I had to consider when I responded to Kozlov's question. I had to protect Steve's credibility. If I hadn't told him that I'd use those weapons, I would've cut Steve's legs out from under him for any future negotiations. The second thing is quite simple. I will listen to any advice Steve gives me and if he feels strongly that I should do something, I will do exactly that. His knowledge of these situations far outweighs mine. I trust him implicitly. As you can see, I was being totally honest with Kozlov."

Silence ensued for a full minute as Gwen's statement was absorbed by everyone at the table.

"When I think about it that way, you're absolutely right," admitted Paula. "If I were the president, I'd feel the same, but I truly hope it never comes to that. I agree that Steve certainly understands military and political developments better than anyone else."

"Of course, you have to realize that Steve is the most gentle, kind person on the planet most of the time and would never consider using nuclear weapons if there were any other options," added Gwen.

"I don't think that Kozlov was seeing the kind and gentle side of Steve that day," laughed Claude D'Anjou. "He blinked before Steve did and the rest is history, as they say."

President Kozlov made certain that the state dinner that evening was planned and executed to perfection. He was the consummate host, always polite and gracious as he introduced Gwen and Steve to numerous government officials. A short time after they finished eating, Steve saw Vlad and Anna Novokov and ushered Gwen over to greet them.

"Vlad! It's so good to see you!" gushed Gwen as she hugged Vlad Nobokov. "You're looking well. You've got to stop in and visit with Steve and me and see our kids. I'd really like to meet your children, too."

Meanwhile Steve was hugging an obviously pregnant Anna Novokov. "You've put on some weight since the wedding, but you look great! You have a certain glow about you."

"The same glow that you put on your wife's face," laughed Anna as she moved over to hug Gwen. "These men think getting their poor wife pregnant is some kind of amazing feat. I tell Vlad that ordinary men have been doing that for thousands of years, but he just smiles at me."

"I know," agreed Gwen. "Steve's had a silly grin on his face since the moment I told him that we were having another son."

"Which is another thing most people, especially men, cannot understand," replied Anna. "You have only been pregnant a week or so, yet you knew that you were and that it was a boy. So many want to know how you knew to look for Steve and your son in that old church, and how you know that you are with child, a son.

"I tell Vlad that some things have no explanation and that he should not assign the usual limitations of mankind to you and Steve. He is living proof of that. Those quick actions of yours saved his life on our wedding day. Without you and Steve, we would not be here tonight," stated Anna appreciatively.

"I haven't seen you since your father's funeral. How have you been?" asked Steve as he shook the hand of his Russian friend.

"Anna and I are doing well, as are the children," replied Vlad. "I want you and Gwen to know that we greatly appreciate that you took the time to come to Father's funeral. It was a difficult time for us. His death was totally unexpected."

"We're your family's friends and we wouldn't have missed it. Your dad was a good man that always had the best interests of Russia in mind. I understand that you're also quite popular in political circles. Some observers think you may become the next President."

"A lot can happen in the next two years," warned Vlad. "President Kozlov has already stated that he has no interest in another term. He was a compromise candidate and has served reasonably well. He governs more from the center than the other candidates would have, and that has been good for Russia.

"There are those that would not like to see me become President of Russia. Father had his enemies and they are now mine. Everyone in Russia was very pleased when Gwen became President. We watched Gwen take her oath of office and Anna told me at the time that the two of you would put an end to the tensions of imminent war that were so prevalent at the time.

"Believe me when I say that no one in Russia wanted a war, but sometimes foolish pride and old ways are stronger than common sense. You and Gwen were willing to take a huge risk to reach a peace, and the people of Russia understand how difficult that decision was. We greatly appreciated your wisdom and courage. To the people of Russia, and to the world, President Hammer truly is the Queen of Peace."

Gwen and Steve found themselves enjoying the evening. They danced with Russian dignitaries and their spouses. Gwen's smile was especially wide when Vlad escorted her onto the dance floor. Once again, the calming influence of President Hammer was felt in a foreign capital. Everyone knew the story of the heroics of Steve and Gwen on that fateful day when terrorists attacked the Novokov wedding party, but tonight Steve had the lovely and very pregnant Anna Novokov laughing gaily as they danced. Those witnessing President Hammer and her husband interacting with Vlad and Anna Novokov saw clearly that the friendship between the couples was very real.

Gwen and Steve, along with Jordan and Charlie, spent the next morning visiting the hospital they had financed for the people, especially children, of Moscow and all of Russia. Gwen managed to discreetly spend some time with the team treating President Kozlov's granddaughter. It was not common knowledge that the Russian President's granddaughter was being treated in a hospital built and funded by Americans. Gwen felt more than a little relief when she was told that the child was responding very well to treatment and was expected to make a full recovery.

Touring the hospital was an extremely gratifying experience for the friends. "I can't tell you how proud I am to be a part of something doing so much good!" exclaimed Jordan. "I know the concept was originally part of international negotiations, but it turned out so well! I think there'll be some real excitement when we announce our next hospital location. It's almost like cities vying to host the Olympics!"

"I think you're right," agreed Gwen, before adding. "You and Charlie will be making that announcement, so be prepared. I think that it's important that everyone realizes that Lady in Red is building the hospital and not the United States government."

"That'll be our pleasure. Charlie's Spanish is pretty good, so I'll let him do most of the talking," replied Jordan. "I love seeing people react when we do something really nice for them. Joining with you guys and meeting Charlie vastly improved my life. You guys have been great to me."

The hospital tour ended in the early afternoon to allow the travelers time to prepare for the concert to be held at Lomonosov Moscow State Univeristy's main building that evening. "Why is the concert being held at the State University rather than Red Square?" asked Gwen as the group was being transported back to their hotel.

"It's a combination of a couple of things," replied Charlie. "Russia is extremely proud of the University. It's one of the best in the world and attending it is quite prestigious. They love to showcase it. The other reason is the size of the venue. It was estimated that three and a half million people attended a concert there by Jean Michel Jarre back in the nineties. They're expecting an even larger crowd tonight."

As they approached their hotel, Jordan laughed and pointed out the window. "I can't read Russian, but I bet the shirts those teens are wearing say 'Queen of Peace'. It's the same shirt we saw in Hungary, but written in Russian, or at least I think it's Russian."

"It is," confirmed Steve. "Look at all of the people wearing them. It looks like we're going to have a big crowd tonight. Gwen is building quite an international following."

"They'll be coming to see all of us," protested Gwen. "You know that as well as I do. Jordan and Charlie are the top selling artists in the world and Kathy Perrine isn't far behind. Toss in Jack Timberline and a great band with Jody playing the sax and you've got something very special. People all over the world realize it. A few misguided ladies may even show up just to see Steve sing and strut around the stage in those tight shirts and jeans."

The concert in Moscow was carried live in the United States. When the tour had been set up, it had been decided that there would be two performances broadcast live. The first would be from Moscow. The previous concerts had segments broadcast, but Russia, with Lady in Red's permission, sold TV rights to stations and networks around the word, promising the revenues would be used for charities across Russia.

Their feed would be under the control of the Lady in Red directors and would be the same as those displayed on the Jumbotrons on site. When the musicians took the stage at seven PM Moscow time, noon on a Sunday afternoon in Washington, the screen showed the backs of the performers as they gazed out at an incredible crowd estimated in the millions. Gwen's mouth was partially open in wonder as she stepped to the front of the stage, only to be greeted by millions of people dropping to a knee and chanting "Queen of Peace" in Russian. Gwen shook her head in amazement as she flashed her trademark smile and motioned for everyone to stand, even as tears once again trickled down her cheeks.

Once the crowd regained their feet, a long and thunderous ovation echoed across the city. Charlie waited until the din was down to a low roar before signaling for the band to begin. For the first time, Americans got to watch a live performance of their president while on her 'We Come in Peace' world tour. Viewers were stunned as they experienced the single most incredible greeting of an American leader they had ever seen. It was very apparent that President Hammer was extremely popular in Russia!