Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In a closed session lasting until four AM, the House voted to impeach President Hammer for accepting emoluments from foreign nations. Proponents claimed that President Hammer was profiting personally from her office because her very successful family business had many international dealings.

"As ludicrous as that must sound to everyone, it gets worse. At eight o'clock this morning, the United States Senate, by a vote of 82-18, voted to convict President Hammer, thus officially removing her from office, effective immediately!

"This is the first time in our nation's history that a President has been removed from office by means of impeachment. The procedure is clearly outlined in the Constitution and was apparently followed by both houses of Congress, albeit in secret. The United States may be on the brink of a Constitutional crisis!" continued Amber.

"State and local leaders have expressed their outrage in no uncertain terms. The streets of Washington have become impassable as angry citizens are gathering on Capitol Hill and near the White House. As you know, Washington area hotels were filled to capacity this weekend for the 'We Come in Peace World Tour' grand finale. These are fans and admirers of President and Steve Hammer. They are not happy!

"We have reporters trying to reach members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Rumors are circulating that the Military may step in and forcefully return Gwen Hammer to office. Vice President Rosen, a very close friend of both President and Steve Hammer, has not yet issued a comment, although there are recent reports of him being escorted to the White House. He is now tasked with running the government, but he has yet to be sworn in as President. It's unclear how he'll react to this sudden turn of events."

"Wow!" gasped Gwen as she digested the news she had just heard. "I thought this would go a lot more smoothly. It never occurred to me that there'd be so much turmoil. What should we do, Steve?"

"It appears Vince has just arrived, thank God. We need to speak with him first of all and get this situation settled," replied Steve grimly. "The United States has always prided itself on an orderly transition of power. Just the suggestion of a military coup, not to mention riots in the streets, severely damages our standing in the world community."

"I got here as soon as I could!" interrupted Vince as he strode into the room with Jordan's mom holding his hand. "Because of the crowds, I had to summon a helicopter to travel two and a half miles! This is pure bullshit! I'll resign my office before I'm sworn in as President of the United States under these conditions!"

"Vince, I understand your feelings, but that would be the worst possible thing you could do," countered Steve. "I saw this coming, but I didn't let on to you and Cindy because I knew you'd react just like this. Your first duty in this situation is to your country. If you resign, chaos will rule the day. Speaker Clune would then assume the Presidency, and we both know that would be disastrous.

"We need to present a united front. Gwen and I will attend your swearing in ceremony, and congratulate you in front of the world. The transition of power needs to be seamless and transparent."

"Steve and I are fine with this, Vince," added Gwen. "We have some grand plans for Lady in Red and our international efforts. We've been chafing under the constraints of trying to appease a polarized and contentious Congress. We need a vacation, and then some time to see where this Queen of Peace thing will lead.

"Sticking you with the Presidency is taking horrific advantage of our friendship, but you're the only person we have confidence in to do a great job for the country. Please don't resign. Steve and I will always be available to you if you should ever need us. We love this country as much as you do, and we want it to succeed!"

"If that's how you truly feel, I'll do it Gwen, but I'm going to hold you to your promise to be available when I need sound advice or someone to represent the United States in crucial situations," replied Vince as he absorbed Steve and Gwen's words. "You know I only expected to serve as your Vice President and to leave office when you completed your term. I had no ambition to return to the White House, and especially not under these conditions."

"There may not be much left to govern," worried Cindy Rosen. "The short flight here was pretty frightening. There must have been tens of thousands of people jamming the streets, and they all seemed to be shouting. People are extremely angry."

"Uh-oh! Look at the TV! There's a huge mob in front of the Capitol building," worried Lisa. "Amber just said that members of Congress don't dare leave the building. If any doors to the street are opened, even a crack, they don't think the security that's in place can ever keep thousands of people from storming the building. They're trying to get more police there, but the streets are teeming with very angry citizens. Vehicular traffic in the city has come to a complete standstill."

"Steve, I think we need to do everything we can to prevent this from getting even worse," stated Gwen calmly as she looked to her husband. "We need to speak to these crowds and ask them to stand down."

"Should I request a TV crew to come in for an interview so you can be seen asking for calm?" asked Ashley. "I'm sure they'd be happy to help."

"No, that won't work with a crowd like this," replied Gwen calmly. "I caused this mess, and I need to fix it. I'm going out there."

"That's crazy!" gasped Paula. "It isn't safe. Steve won't allow it!"

"Gwen's right," disagreed Steve as he took Gwen's hand. "The only person on the planet who can stop this is Gwen. I don't think it would be a good idea for even the Secret Service to go with us. They'd be in danger, plus their guns could be taken from them. We need to do this by ourselves."

"You need to do this with me," insisted Vince Rosen. "I won't be hiding behind the curtains while you two risk your lives! I'm going with you. Cindy, you stay here with Jordan."

"Like Hell!" snapped Cindy Rosen. "I may not be considered the best First Lady material, but I refuse to be known as a chicken-shit First Lady. I go wherever my husband goes."

"I think we agree that Vince and Mom should go with us," stated Jordan as she looked around the room, daring anyone to defy her inviting herself and Charlie along.

"Kate and I wouldn't miss this for the world!" Chip offered with a short chuckle. "The family that faces angry mobs together, stays together."

"Mom, please take care of the kids for us," requested Lisa as she took Jason's hand. "Gwen and Steve need our support, and we won't let them down."

"Aw, crap!" muttered Jared as he took Naomi's hand in his and headed for the hallway leading to the exit. "They wouldn't do anything rash to one of the guys who helped bring a Super Bowl trophy to town, would they?"

"Okay, we have all the support we need. The rest of you stay here and wait," insisted Steve before anyone else could volunteer to join them. "We need people we can trust to care for all the kids if we get into any serious trouble. I think we can avoid disaster, but an angry mob seldom has a conscience."

The Secret Service refused to allow Gwen and Vince to venture outside at all, never mind without them, but Steve took them aside and reasoned with them quietly. It was a grim collection of agents that watched the former President of the United States join the current President in walking out to brave riot conditions, and with no protection! Steve had explained the alternatives and the possible worst-case scenario if nothing was done. Reluctantly, and against all regulations, the agents stood down.

Paula and the rest of those remaining behind were glued to the television as Gwen and Steve led their friends across the North Lawn of the White House.

"We see some movement from the White House," declared Amber Stahl, with amazement clearly evident in her voice. "Gwen and Steve Hammer, along with President and Mrs. Rosen, and eight family members and close friends, are walking directly towards the angry protestors crowding Pennsylvania Avenue! They appear to be intent on facing the huge crowd with no sign of the Secret Service anywhere around. They have absolutely no security! This is beyond belief!"

Viewers across the nation were riveted to their televisions. The woman who had been President of the United States until a few short hours ago was fearlessly striding out to confront the protestors! How would the angry mob react when they discovered Gwen Hammer was approaching them?

A worried guard at first refused, but then nervously opened the gate to the sidewalk at Gwen's direction and stepped aside as she led her group onto the crowded street. Lisa clutched Jason's hand as tightly as she could as she heard the chanting and curses of the anger-fueled crowd.

"Quiet!" shouted a deep authoritative male voice. "Our Queen has arrived!"

The voice was heard by dozens of the people closest to Gwen, and they immediately went silent and dropped to a knee. There was a domino effect as others turned to see what was happening, only to find President Hammer, their Queen of Peace, walking among them. They began taking a knee as soon as they recognized her.

Gwen held Steve's hand tightly as she smiled and waved with her free hand as people continued to take a knee in respect. It looked like a human wave at a football game, as people standing behind those who had just gone to a knee realized why they had done so and quickly joined them. Gwen led Steve forward into the kneeling crowd and began working her way along Pennsylvania Avenue toward Constitution Avenue.

A path began to appear in front of Gwen as she and her entourage walked slowly while scanning the crowd, seeming to look each person in the eye as she passed. "My Queen!" was quietly uttered by many of those kneeling as Gwen moved past them. She began reaching out and gently touching the shoulders and heads of those nearest her. Vince Rosen and Cindy followed Gwen's lead as they too nodded, smiled, and softly touched random people in the crowd. Jordan and Charlie were right behind Jordan's mom and stepfather. Jordan flashed a huge smile as she quietly greeted people as if they were long-lost friends. She had long ago learned how to work a crowd; Gwen Hammer was the only person on earth better at making friends and getting strangers to love her. Kate, Lisa and Naomi quickly realized how effective Gwen and Jordan were being, so they also began following their example. They smiled, nodded, touched and quietly thanked the crowd as they followed behind the others.

"Washington has never before seen anything like this!" managed Amber once she remembered to breathe. "Gwen Hammer is peacefully walking through what only a few minutes ago was an angry and unruly mob. People, who a moment ago were shouting abuse, are falling silent and kneeling out of respect for their Queen! Can there possibly be any doubt she's the most loved and respected woman in the world? With the obvious exception of those still skulking within the halls of the Congress, Gwen Hammer has the admiration and love of this entire nation.

"Her commanding presence has turned an angry mob into what appears to be huge gathering of her ardent supporters. She somehow realized her appearance was required to placate and calm the irate crowd."

Cameras zoomed in to show tears trickling down the cheeks of many of those fortunate enough to be touched by Gwen as she passed. Grown men were wiping their eyes after Gwen had simply placed a gentle hand on their shoulder.

A weeping woman handed an infant to Gwen. She released Steve's hand and held the innocent baby up for the crowd to see before kissing its cheek and returning it to its mother, who was still overcome with emotion.

Fifteen minutes into the walk, Gwen came upon a woman with a child about her daughter Vickie's age in a wheelchair. Gwen stopped and knelt in front of the little girl and took her hands into her own before chatting briefly with her. Gwen kissed the girl's hands and then her cheek, before standing to resume her trek. Tears flowed freely through the entire crowd as emotions bubbled to the surface.

The anger and frustration that had gripped the frenzied mob had rapidly morphed into pride and adulation. This was the person who had been so cruelly and unfairly removed from office by Congress. She remained serene as she smiled and interacted with the people she met along her route. She walked among her subjects modestly and with humility. Gwen Hammer's legend grew with every step.

Cindy Rosen had been petrified when she stepped into the angry mob with her husband, but she was determined to remain by his side as he faced whatever was to come, as a good wife should. She was weeping quietly as she realized the power and respect Gwen inspired. Cindy briefly considered the wasted years of her own life squandered in seeking personal pleasures. Gwen was a woman she needed to emulate! Even though Cindy had turned her life around years before, this was another true epiphany!

She glanced back to see Jordan serenely interacting with the people along the way, and her heart was filled with pride. Jordan had known for years why Gwen was so special, and she had the very same qualities! She was loved and admired because she gave so freely of her talent and her love. People sensed that she truly loved them, and she would do all she could to make their lives better Thus, they responded to her. Her daughter was incredible!

Tyler had received a text from Steve, and he immediately gathered the Lady in Red crew and instructed them to prepare the stage that had been used for the concert the previous day. Steve wanted the sound system as well as all the Jumbotrons working by the time he and Gwen reached the stage on the National Mall.

As Gwen and Steve, along with their small group, finally ascended the stage which had previously been erected on the Mall, people were kneeling as far as the eye could see!

Gwen smiled her appreciation to one of her crew as he handed her a microphone before she whispered into his ear. The man nodded and went to the side of the stage, then returned with another microphone, which he handed to a surprised Jordan.

She turned questioningly to Gwen, who quietly spoke a few words to her. Jordan's smile beamed across the huge screens as she nodded to Gwen and took her hand. The two women walked to the front of the stage, where Gwen spoke to the silent crowd.

"Your Queen requests that you all stand and face one of the many American flags that can be seen from wherever you're standing. Your Queen also asks everyone to remember what a wonderful country this is and why we all love it so dearly, as Jordan and I sing our National Anthem!"

Amber went quiet in the broadcast booth as Gwen and Jordan delivered a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. The crowd began cheering before they'd finished singing, and was roaring by the time the duo bowed to the huge gathering.

Jordan backed away a short distance as Gwen surveyed the cheering crowd and waved to them. She then gestured for silence and waited for the mass of humanity to quiet down before speaking.

"First of all, I need to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and support. However, I want you all to understand one thing. Steve and I will never betray our oaths to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States! We love our country! Congress has the Constitutional authority to impeach and convict a President it deems guilty of treason, bribery, or high crimes and misdemeanors. Again, Steve and I support the Constitution of the United States. This does not mean that Congress was correct, but it does mean it has that Constitutional power and we are honor-bound to accept their decision. I'm not standing here to lobby for myself. I fully accept that I am no longer your President," stated Gwen before a long round of jeers and booing echoed across the National Mall.

"Again, thank you so much for your support," beamed Gwen. "But I'm here to ask all of you to accept the actions taken by Congress and to participate peacefully in an orderly transfer of power. Our very good friend Vince Rosen will be sworn in as our next President, and it would mean a great deal to Steve and me if you joined us in congratulating him and wishing him a healthy and successful term.

"We want you to know that Vince had nothing to do with Congress' devious impeachment proceedings. He and Cindy were as astonished this morning as you were! And we want Vince to succeed! Steve and I have pledged our total support and assistance to him any time he may require it. We all know how Steve and Naomi negotiated the United States away from the brink of a world war. Steve will still be available if his country calls, as will I," promised Gwen. "Vince is our trusted personal friend and as I stated before, we love this country!"

Steve had been involved in a quick huddle with Charlie and Vince as Gwen was speaking. He called Tyler over and spoke to him briefly before asking Jordan for her microphone. As Gwen finished speaking, he moved to the front of the stage and acknowledged the crowd's warm greeting.

"If you would be so kind as to give me your attention, I have several points to make," began Steve as the crowd became quiet. "Gwen is not going quietly into the night! She's our Queen and she'll continue serving in that capacity around the world! As President of the United States, she was restricted by the demands and obstructions of a hostile Congress. Now that she has been so blessedly relieved of that burden, Gwen will concentrate on helping people around the world. That's the mission of Lady in Red. Gwen is the Lady in Red, as well as the Queen of Peace!"

Steve waved and pointed to acknowledge the presence of various people as he waited for the cheering to subside. "To that end, we're going to have a party here today to celebrate Vince Rosen's marriage, his swearing in as President of the United States, and Gwen's ascension as The Queen of Peace!

"At two o'clock, Vince Rosen will be sworn in right here as the next President of the United States. Immediately following that, we'll have a brief ceremony acknowledging my beautiful wife, Gwen Hammer, our Lady in Red, as she accepts the title of Queen of Peace. If anyone doesn't feel she deserves the honor, you're free to leave. Those of you who want to support her coronation with your presence will need to be here at two!"

Steve once again had to wait for the cheering and applause to subside. "To get the party going right, Charlie and Jordan have agreed to gather as many of our band members as they can, so we'll be able to perform another concert this afternoon. Yesterday, we concluded the 'We Come in Peace World Tour'. This afternoon, we'll perform 'The Queen's Ransom' concert. Congress has freed Gwen from the shackles of the Presidency, but we citizens will pay the price for their foolish decision. All Americans, willing or not, will in fact be required to pay 'The Queen's Ransom' through our taxes, so be here and get your money's worth! Lady in Red will supply snacks, water, sodas and hopefully, some real food, all for free!"

Steve once again waved and grinned as the huge crowd whooped and yelled approval. "There's one more thing I want to cover. I've always tried to avoid politics, thinking we should remain above the fray. I see now just how wrong I was. From this moment forward, Lady in Red is going to actively participate in political discourse on a wide variety of subjects.

"Many of you are angry at members of Congress for their cowardly actions, but it's all on me, and it's all on each of you. It's on your friends and neighbors. Collectively, we've continued returning short-sighted, self-serving and selfish people to represent us in the House and Senate, mostly because it would have taken too much trouble to change. If you're pissed at the way things were handled early this morning, focus that anger when you go to your polling places next election!" yelled Steve to the raucous crowd.

123456...9