Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve scanned the room carefully, nodded to Marshall Yahontov and then allowed the weapon in his hand to drop onto Chernov's inert body. He turned back to Gwen. The entire room was silent as Steve marched forward onto the dais to stand before his wife. Then he dropped to a knee and bowed his head!

Gwen somehow managed to remain stoic as she considered the recent events and the timely actions of her remarkable husband and his fellow warriors. The weeks since her being removed from office had been a roller coaster ride, leading to this very moment.

Gwen formulated her words carefully. She needed to convey both strength and humility. It was imperative for her to remain calm and self-assured. The Russians had to believe the situation was now under control and beneficial to their nation. With Steve still kneeling before her, Gwen turned to the microphone to address Russia and the world.

"Citizens of Russia, I have accepted this very rare and incredible honor only after the strong urging of my Warrior husband. When Marshall Yahontov and President Kozlov presented me with their proposal that I become acting President of the Russian Federation, at first I could see no possible outcome that would benefit either Russia, or me.

"It was my husband who explained that Russia was on the brink of civil war, which would yield control of this great nation to a bloodthirsty madman, the same Colonel Chernov who was probably responsible for President Kozlov's death. That madman was determined to violently seize control of the government and begin a reign of terror that would make Stalin's tyranny pale in comparison.

"President Kozlov discussed this situation with us briefly before he succumbed to his injuries. He and Marshall Yahontov expressed great concern that the explosions which ripped through Moscow, killing the five highest level Russian officials including the President and the Prime Minister, would eventually be traced back to Colonel Chernov, the man who built his reputation in the Georgian War by ordering the brutal murders of hundreds, and possibly thousands of innocents.

"Make no mistake. The Warrior has just altered the course of history. Think about that. Just moments ago, he saved Russia from the rule of a madman, risking his life to do so. His strength and skill are the real reasons I have been asked to serve as your temporary President. The situation was dire. In its time of need, Russia turned to The Warrior. If anyone else had been named President, Chernov would have killed them instantly and laughed as he seized control of your Mother Russia.

"The world knows my husband will always protect me against all dangers. Marshall Yahontov and President Kozlov likely foresaw the very scenario we have just witnessed. When governments hang in the balance, when thousands and thousands of lives are at risk, the world turns to my husband," concluded Gwen.

"Rise, Warrior," intoned Gwen as her eyes clearly reflected her love for Steve.

As Steve stood, Gwen moved close, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. Frantic applause erupted from those watching, even as the dead bodies were being removed.

When the pandemonium slowly began to subside, the Chairman of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation approached Gwen, obviously nervous at this complete break with the traditional succession. He once again glanced over at the Marshall of the Russian Federation, who nodded for him to proceed. Speaking haltingly in his native Russian, he requested Gwen to place her hand on the Russian Constitution and repeat the Oath of Office.

"I swear in exercising the powers of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic to observe the Constitution and laws of the RSFSR, to protect its sovereignty, respect and protect the rights and freedoms of man and citizen, and the rights of peoples of the RSFSR, and to conscientiously fulfill the duties entrusted to me by the people," repeated Gwen in fluent Russian with a strong, unwavering voice.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," began Amber Stahl from network headquarters in New York, "the world has just born witness to perhaps the most unbelievable, most incredible change of power that it has ever seen.

"Russia, one of the most powerful nations in the world, was under siege from within. Colonel Chernov was poised to seize control of the Russian military, as well as the government. He was the prime suspect in the bombing deaths of the top five Russian bureaucrats. In its time of need, Russia turned to the Queen of Peace and her Warrior, realizing they were the only two people in the world able to end this threat and bring immediate stability to Russia.

"It remains to be seen how the Russian people will accept Gwen Hammer as their President, but personally, I predict she will be welcomed with open arms. While she is as American as apple pie, she has developed a strong bond with the people of Russia, beginning with her very memorable trip here as a high school senior.

"Who will ever forget the incredible photo of Gwen holding the newborn baby with a soft light glowing behind her? That was also when her future husband, her Warrior, first demonstrated his knowledge of global issues and international diplomacy. That Russian trip was, in fact, a glimpse into the future.

"We are told President Rosen is about to make a statement in the Rose Garden," revealed Amber. "We'll go there now."

"My fellow Americans," began Vince Rosen. "The United States sends its heartfelt condolences to Russia. President Kozlov served his nation with honor. He will be missed.

"Quite frankly, the appointment of Gwen Hammer as the Interim President of the Russian Federation took the United States completely by surprise. That said, Gwen and Steve have already delivered on the expectations of the late President Kozlov.

"Russia is far more stable than it was just an hour ago. The world is a safer place because of the valor of this incredible couple. Arrangements will be made for me to attend President Kozlov's funeral when the details are made available. The United States hopes this will be the beginning of a new spirit of cooperation between Russia and the US," concluded Rosen.

The Russian citizenry's initial reaction was shock. No one had ever expected to see a former President of the United States taking the reins of their government. The extraordinary situation was discussed at great length in Moscow, and all throughout Russia. Many Russians, especially the older ones, had grown up disliking and even fearing the United States and anything American.

It was the younger Russians who were first to embrace Gwen's tenure. They had lived through her exploits, seen her movies, her concerts and especially her accomplishments as President of the United States. For the most part, they were proud to have this beautiful woman serving and leading them. Gwen had made it clear she was there to serve the people of Russia as well as to lead them, and that she had nothing personal to gain by so doing.

Their enthusiasm and quick acceptance of Gwen Hammer began to spread throughout the nation. Gwen immediately began to win over the doubters by performing as a selfless public leader. Over the next few weeks, she was seen at schools and hospitals, listening to the concerns of parents, patients, medical professionals and teachers, all while showering the children with love and affection. It was a recipe for success.

Kozlov's body lay in state at the Kremlin for three days. Although quite pregnant, Gwen remained near the coffin, greeting mourners for hours on end. Her husband was always close by her side as he watched over his wife. It was obvious to everyone who came in contact with them that they were a very special couple.

One of Gwen's first official appointments was Vavara Suchkov as her press secretary. She then asked Vavara's father to serve as an advisor. These appointments were met with widespread approval. Many Russians had been concerned Gwen would surround herself with American aides and advisors. Gwen allayed that fear as, paying careful heed to the Suchkovs' recommendations, she appointed numerous Russians to positions of authority.

No one seemed concerned when she announced that her sister Kate, and her very accomplished personal friend Naomi, would also serve in her government as liaisons with the many government officials with whom Gwen interacted.

The people of Russia had their first opportunity to see the Hammers represent their nation just a week after Gwen had taken the oath of office. President Kozlov's state funeral was attended by an unusually large number of world leaders.

It was widely accepted that many world leaders came to Moscow for the opportunity to see, and to be seen with, the Queen of Peace. Gwen did not disappoint. She and Steve met as many leaders at the airport as possible. She smiled, hugged, and posed with them as, on behalf of Russia, she made them feel welcomed.

Russia, as well as the rest of the world, watched when Steve and Gwen welcomed Vince and Cindy Rosen to Moscow. Neither couple made any attempt to behave as anything less than very close friends when they embraced on the tarmac. As attractive as the American First Lady was, the Russians agreed their President was even more beautiful.

The funeral ceremony was broadcast live across the nation. Viewers could not help but admire Gwen's beauty and poise as she interacted with other world leaders. Near the end of the funeral ceremony, Steve played the piano as Gwen sang "Bridge over Troubled Waters", in Russian! Kate and Naomi later told her they believed that was the moment Russia truly fell in love with their new President.

Gwen and Steve settled into their new reality. Saint and Vicky were enrolled in a Russian school instead of one of the English-speaking schools in Moscow, much to the delight of all Russians. It did not go unnoticed that Hungarians Adam and Hanna Kiss moved to Moscow and frequently attended official events with President Hammer and her husband. Their daughter Lena attended the same school as Saint, and the two were inseparable.

Hanna and Adam tutored the pair several evenings a week. They learned the same subjects as the other children while at school, but the Kisses also introduced them to physics, chemistry and advanced math. Steve had instructors teaching the kids various self defense disciplines, as well as several musical instruments three days a week. On the other days, Steve worked on improving the kids' conditioning and strength in the Kremlin's gymnasium.

Reaction in the United States to Gwen's reign as President of the Russian Federation was varied and often predictable. Senator Lancer seized on the unprecedented situation in an attempt to bolster his slumping campaign. He appeared on as many news shows as possible. His message did not waver.

"The former and disgraced President of the United States now sits in the Kremlin. She has had full access to our intelligence. She knows in great detail our military capabilities and weaknesses. Therefore, America is in extreme danger because of her. Nobody on earth has the capacity to damage the United States as badly as she can!" repeated Lancer at every opportunity.

Oddly, a young woman emerged as Gwen's champion in the media. Pamela Stenson, the high school senior who had met Gwen after the Miracle at the Oxbow and the same student body president who had led the student exodus out of Senator Lancer's intended media-grabbing speech in that town, was interviewed on a local station. It was picked up by the networks and she was frequently invited to appear on various news programs to be interviewed.

"Gwen Hammer is the Queen of Peace! She and her Warrior risked their very lives to save Russia from a vicious traitor. No one else on earth could have preserved the peace while ending the threat Colonel Chernov represented," insisted the young woman.

"We are so much safer now than we would have been if Chernov had been successful. Does our Queen know many American secrets? Of course she does. But who among us can point to a single instance when the Hammers have not acted honorably? Who can deny they have proven themselves willing to work, fight, and even die for peace?" challenged Pamela.

"Senator Lancer is representative of the old, self-serving ways in Washington. He seeks to further himself above all others. He's small-minded. He suspects everyone of everything. Only a man who is unworthy of trust himself, is unable to trust another. And tell me... Who has done more to restore our faith in mankind than Gwen and Steve Hammer?

"This is fact. I sleep much better at night knowing my Queen, with her Warrior at her side, is watching over Russia. I plan to step up my efforts to promote Gwen Hammer as the next President of the United States, and I expect everyone watching today to help me make that goal into reality!"

Gwen had been in office almost a month and was only a couple of weeks from her delivery date, when she approached Steve. "There's been a gas explosion in a large apartment complex in Sochi. There's been over 15 fatalities and many serious injuries. An entire apartment complex was pretty well destroyed. I want to visit the scene and offer my support."

"I thought we were going to stay close, so our baby would be born in our Lady in Red hospital here in Moscow. It's probably the best facility in Russia. Traveling in your condition isn't very easy, you know that."

"I won't go if you tell me I shouldn't, but I'm hoping you'll agree. Those poor victims need hope, and they need it now. They may not survive until after our baby is born," worried Gwen.

The next afternoon Gwen, Saint and Steve, along with Hanna, Lena and Adam Kiss, were surveying the damage caused by the explosion. Heather and Colt had asked to join them when Gwen mentioned her intentions the previous evening at dinner. Sybil and Tyler were also there since Sybil refused to allow Gwen to go out in public without her. Heather had been given complete access to Gwen's schedule. Her network had told her to remain in Russia and report anything she felt would be of interest in the states. Gwen's trip had not been announced, and almost no one was expecting them in Sochi.

The Sochi mayor had been one of the few apprised of Gwen's itinerary, and he met them at the airport. The city supplied an extended van for the group to use. Steve was impressed with the man's knowledge of his city. He seemed to know many of the people by name.

"See the girl standing by all those boxes? They're boxes of clothes and canned goods for the victims, donated by concerned citizens of Sochi. She's scheduled an orderly distribution of the items to begin two hours from now, even though I don't know if she's slept since the explosion. She's been on the local radio and in our newspaper asking for donations and setting up the distribution of goods. She's quite an amazing young lady. You actually met her once, Madam President," concluded the mayor.

The young woman, while taking an inventory of the supplies she had collected, noticed a couple of her comrades suddenly go very still. Realizing they were staring at something behind her, Galina Smirnova turned around, only to find President Hammer smiling at her!

"Madam President, my Queen," managed the surprised girl as she dropped to a knee and bowed her head.

"Galina Smirnova! Stand and give me a hug!" insisted Gwen. "I'm so very pleased to see you again. You've grown into a wonderful young woman."

The girl hesitated slightly before standing and approaching Gwen, who promptly swept her into her arms. "You know who I am? You couldn't possibly recognize me," reasoned the teen.

"Your mayor told me you were the baby I helped deliver here on the streets of Sochi. Now you're busy helping others in their time of need. I can't tell you how proud I am of you," replied Gwen.

"We've had a bad time of it," admitted Galina. "We've been doing what we can, but there are far more people hurt, hungry and in need of clothes and housing than we can aid."

"That hasn't stopped you from doing your best for them, which is a lot more than most others," stated Gwen as she studied the teen's face. "Would you accept some help from our company?"

"From Lady in Red?" asked Galina incredulously. "Of course! That would be great. Will you donate some food or something?"

"Or something," chuckled Gwen as she pointed down the street where several large trucks with Lady in Red logos had parked. "We've gathered up some food, clothes and supplies, and now that I've met you, I want you to take charge of distributing it all. We also have people working on finding housing for those displaced by the explosion. As soon as we find places, we'll pass the information on to you. I want you to determine who is the best fit for each home or apartment as they become available."

"That's a lot of responsibility for a person my age, but if you think I can do it, I'll be glad to take care of it. You're even kinder than I heard you were. Did Steve, I mean your husband, come with you? I'd love to meet The Warrior."

"That looks like him walking up the street with a young woman I think may be your cousin," responded Gwen. "He wanted to see the girl he held in his arms as you made your appearance into this world. Your mayor told him where she worked, so he went to find her."

"Gwen, this is Fanya Smirnova. She was that cute little girl I held in my arms as Galina was born. Fanya, this is my wife Gwen," concluded Steve.

Fanya immediately dropped to a knee and bowed her head, only to have Gwen grasp her hand and tug her back up to her feet.

"Look how beautiful you are," praised Gwen. "I hear you're a nurse at the local hospital. I'm so proud of you both, and delighted to be able to see you again."

"Galina is a huge fan of yours. She watches every movie, and every television and internet broadcast you're in," revealed Fanya. "She's always telling people how she was delivered into this world by the Lady in Red, the Queen of Peace, and lately, the President of the Russian Federation. All of Sochi knows her story."

"My cousin neglected to mention all the posters and magazines featuring The Warrior she's collected over the years," confided Galina. "She tells everyone about being trapped in that bombed out building. She claims it was filled with smoke and was shaking, about to collapse, when The Warrior suddenly appeared. He scooped her up and carried her to safety in his strong arms. She told everyone she would marry him when she grew up."

"I was just a young girl then. I would never do anything to harm your marriage, Madam President, not that I ever could," responded a blushing Fanya.

"That sweet fantasy has been shared by a lot of girls over the years," responded Gwen with a laugh. "I should know. It was my fantasy for a long time, too."

"And now you're living the dream!" joked Steve.

Gwen had almost forgotten about Heather until she spoke. She had been standing off to the side videoing the entire exchange.

"This is too good an opportunity to pass up. Could I get some pictures of the four of you standing together? We obviously can't recreate the exact scene, since the girls have grown up. This is the sort of thing people love to see."

The week after returning to Moscow, Gwen gave birth to a son. Leaders from around the world issued congratulatory statements. Gwen had conceived while serving as President of the United States and given birth while President of the Russian Federation!

The infant was named Zachary Robert Hammer. The name Zachary was after Ted's deceased father, while Robert had been Steve's paternal grandfather's name.

"This is an easy one!" pointed out Kate after mulling over the boy's name for a few minutes. "He was born in Russia and his initials are ZR. We'll call my new nephew Tzar Hammer. The T is silent!"

1...456789