Laura and Bill's Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Spyauth
Spyauth
120 Followers

She winked at me, as I left. She scared me a little. That much personality stuffed into that type of package, would certainly make some guy very lucky.

As soon as my last final finished, I was packed and headed for Idaho.

I called Laura in New York the day after Christmas, asking her to dinner. I had let her know my parents were also here and they would be joining us. She agreed, but preferred to have her chauffer drive her to the restaurant. I had hoped to break the news to her that while technically here in New York, my parents were attending a play and it would just be the two of us.

It worked out fine, because by the time she got to the restaurant, she could see it was a table for two. I came clean and told her, all about my Sheila experience, and parent's vacation which they had planned for some time. She seemed to take it well and didn't chastise me too much for my skullduggery.

We had a fantastic dinner, talking about everything and anything, from religion to politics, circling back to law school. Virtually every topic we covered, saw our thoughts aligning perfectly. At least for me. We ended up closing the restaurant down. We parted with an intense kiss and promise of dinner the next night with my parents in attendance.

Returning, to classes, we were almost inseparable. I spent more time at her apartment than she did mine, since I had roommates. I was fairly certain after dinner in New York, I wanted to marry her. We talked about it, as our last semester of undergraduate ended with degrees with honor for both of us.

Neither of us went home the summer between undergraduate and law school. I moved into her apartment and we shared everything willingly. We decided to put marriage on hold until after law school. We were exclusive throughout law school, helping each other with the ridiculous amount of course work we had to cover.

After three years of seemingly studying all the time just to maintain, we finally got married. Her mother planned practically everything as Laura and I were busy studying yet again for the bar exam. But for two weeks in Greece for our honeymoon, life was perfect. I really thought we had everything we could have ever wanted. Two people, completely in love, great careers in front of us, job offers in hand, and a future to enjoy each other with kids at some point.

The Turning Point

In looking back, the turning point in our relationship happened on the case where I was selected as first chair about five years into our respective careers and marriage. It was a monumental acquisition which required horrendous due diligence and hundreds of hours of research. I literally lived on it for six months. I left Laura alone much of that time. Neither of us had a huge number of friends in Chicago, since we had lived elsewhere all our lives. She seemed to thrive on shopping or 'retail therapy' as she called it.

I put my heart, mind and soul into making the acquisition a success for our client. The partners in my firm noticed. Once the transaction was complete, they gave me a hundred thousand dollar bonus for my efforts. Whatever I gained financially, I lost in the closeness that Laura and I felt towards each other.

Once the dust had settled, she was happy and proud of my accomplishments, but things were not quite the same. Our love making was not quite as passionate. Dinners didn't taste quite as good as they had in her little apartment in law school with just the two us eating hot dogs and chili.

Laura, coming from money, always was a privileged girl that grew into a woman. I never had any worries that she loved me. I just chalked it up to the bloom being worn off the rose, and vowed to try to get back the intimacy I felt we had lost. I suspect, although Laura never admitted it to me, she resented me for all the time I invested into the acquisition. I tried to scale back my hours at the firm, to devote more time to Laura and our relationship.

She seemed appreciative, but as I already said, the luster was tough to restore. I tried. Really, I tried. I knew I had neglected her, but felt she was mature enough to understand that life isn't a straight line to the finish. I knew she had compromised herself by taking a real estate contracts job at a local firm. I knew for her it was more than that. It was never about the money for Laura. She had all of it, and more, growing up. I could never compete with it. I suppose in my own stupid way, I made it about money. I was trying to show Laura and the world I could make it. It never mattered to her.

I suppose she assumed the money was what drove me to the hours I worked to close the acquisition. It really wasn't. First, I had no idea my firm would pay me a bonus. For me, it was really about success. Proving myself successful in my own way. I needed to feel useful and needed in the world. Not very noble looking back. Surely she could see the way I felt about her had nothing to do with money. We had signed the prenuptial agreement which all but guaranteed I wouldn't be able to cash in on her fortune. I had just proven to the world I didn't need Laura's money. Surely she could see, I was my own man?

Maybe if I had told Laura I needed to prove my mettle as a lawyer, she would have understood what the acquisition meant to me. Maybe she would have agreed. She was beautiful, but not as supportive as I would have liked at times. She was a strong willed spoiled little rich girl that always got her way. I thought she understood that sometimes there were more important things in life than herself. In spite of all of that, I loved her.

+++

The next case I took was my biggest since joining the firm. It wasn't a routine house closing, but rather a large commercial property settlement. It involved rezoning a parcel of real estate for building an office building. The company that had engaged us, was a computer startup firm looking to expand into the Chicago market. I was focused on the rezoning, since what the client was asking was next to impossible.

The client wanted to rezone a section of property near Lake Michigan to build a new office building. Rezoning was done all the time. Our firm had participated in many hearings on behalf of our clients. But rezoning residential parcels for commercial use, on or near the lake, was difficult at best.

I studied the records, and knew every zoning law on the books. I reviewed every case where a property was rezoned for a particular purpose. It didn't' look promising for the client. I went to my senior partners at the firm and advised them, I didn't think what the client wanted to do was possible.

Their response to me, was direct. Get it done. That's what a partner would do. The thought they were dangling a partnership in front of me if I closed this deal, more than motivated me. Maybe it was Bill's success and subsequent bonus that fueled my desires, but nonetheless, I burned an incredible amount of hours and brainpower looking for a way to rezone the client's property for commercial office space.

My hard work proved useless. Frustrated, I called Daddy. He would take care of his princess. And he did. The rezoning hearing went off without even so much as the commissioner nodding in my direction as the gavel was slammed declaring the property rezoned, much to my amazement. I suppose I always knew my father had money and clout. Now it really showed. I shrugged.

The perfunctory closing on the property took place the following Friday. I had expected the client's attorney since she was who I had all of my dealings with so far. Who walked in the door was Warren Blaylock along with a beautiful brunette who I assumed was his attorney. I was so stunned, I excused myself to gather my presence in the ladies room. My clerk followed me in to the restroom.

"You look like you just saw a ghost. What gives?"

"Marsha, I went to college with that guy."

She didn't need to ask any other questions. She knew my background, probably better than most, which I hadn't shared with anyone from the firm. I sat in the stall collecting my thoughts. The rezoning was over. The tough part was done thanks to Daddy. All I needed to do was close the transaction. I had to do this for the firm, myself and the client which turned out to be Warren Blaylock.

I steeled myself after splashing cold water on my face. I would need to reapply my makeup, but that was a small price to pay to steady my nerves. Marsha stayed with me while I went through my preparations asking me questions.

"So he is the guy you talked about... in college, huh?"

I didn't' immediately respond, continuing to apply makeup, so she took that as permission to proceed.

"He is attractive, but aren't you married?"

"Yes."

"So what's the problem?"

"He's not just a client. He's... the only man than never desired me." I trailed off.

"Oh you mean, he's the one that got away?"

Marsha was moderately intelligent, but what she lacked in intelligence she made up for in her chest size. She had every male in the office dropping a pencil in her direction, hoping she would bend over to pick it up revealing her incredible cleavage.

"Not exactly the one that got away. Maybe... the one I couldn't have. Or maybe the one that wouldn't have me."

"Honey, you have Bill. And if you ever get tired of him, well just remember who your friends are OK? Now you need to finish fixing your face, so we can get this deal done. You think you can pull it together long enough to finish this?"

"Yea, I think I can." I didn't feel nearly that confident, but didn't want her to see my reluctance.

We walked back into the conference room. I introduced myself to Bill's attorney as Laura Davenport emphasizing Davenport, knowing Warren would know my maiden name was Greenstein hoping he would assume I had married. She obviously didn't know that I already knew Warren. Warren hadn't tipped her off while I had my meltdown, since she introduced me to Warren Blaylock as if I had no idea who he was.

Warren wasn't wearing a wedding ring, but of course that meant nothing. Apparently, at least for now, he had chosen not to reveal that he knew me to his attorney, which was fine with me.

"I trust all the paperwork is in order and we can all sign on the bottom line?" Cynthia his attorney asked after introductions were complete.

"Yes. Yes everything is complete." I responded flatly, trying to get back into attorney presence of mind.

With nods all around the table, the signature, and pass of papers from left to right began. Marsha was a notary, so as each executed document passed to her, she dutifully notarized it. In a matter of fifteen minutes all the paperwork was complete.

I stood to thank everyone, when Warren interrupted me, "Laura, Cynthia will take our copies back to the office for filing, but can you spare fifteen minutes for a cup of coffee? I think I saw a coffee shop just outside your building. I'd like to catch up on old times."

Cynthia shot a look to Warren, and then me. I looked like I had just been asked to go before a firing squad. Marsha was shooting daggers into my eyes indicating I should not accept Warren's invitation. Or, maybe she was secretly hoping I would, so she had leverage or Bill or both. I was too confused to think at the time.

"I have an appointment across town, but I suppose I could spare a few minutes for coffee. Let me grab my briefcase and purse. I'll meet you in the lobby." I answered. Funny now looking back ten years, Warren had said something similar to me on his way to his next final.

We met in the lobby a few minutes later. "You know Laura, if anything, you're even more beautiful now than you were in college. But I suppose you already know that. And I guess from the diamond on your finger, your husband tells you that all the time."

I smiled inwardly at his comment about my appearance, but chose not to acknowledge it. Instead, I was thinking, "See, this is what you could have had if you weren't so busy trying to finish school to hurry up and make money." After I replayed it in my head, it sounded hollow to my ears. There was nothing wrong with Warren having goals and setting his sights on what he really wanted. I guess I still wasn't over the fact that he didn't want me.

"The coffee shop is just around the corner. We'd better get moving, so I can get to my appointment on time." I started walking, but Warren gently grasped my elbow causing me to turn around. "Laura, it really is good to see you." He said, staring into my eyes, with a heartfelt emotion I could feel down to my toes.

"It's... good to see you too Warren. I had no idea you were the principal. I only had the company name, and the name of your attorney, so I was just as surprised as you were when you walked into my office. But we really should get going if we're going to have that coffee." I smiled briefly at him. We walked in silence to the coffee shop.

I got a table, while Warren got coffee for us. He even remembered how I liked my coffee with two sugars. That surprised me. Of all the mundane facts to remember about someone, to remember their coffee preference after ten years, seemed... unusual.

He wasted no time starting off the conversation a bit shockingly. "I have a small confession to make." That surprised me. "I actually knew you would be the attorney representing the property and closing."

"How? How could you know that?" I asked, stunned at his admission.

"How? It's elementary my dear Watson." He had imitated Sherlock Holmes last time we had coffee as well, I remembered. "I requested you as the attorney. And as I understand it, you'll probably be getting a partnership offer as a result of the rezoning and closing. You're welcome."

"Warren, what kind of stunt are you trying to pull? Are you telling me, one of the senior partners is a friend of yours? That you called in favors or something?" Not very attorney like of me, to accuse our client of violating ethics principles but I was fired up at the moment.

"A smart businessman always knows the players in the game. I make it my practice to always know who I'm dealing with. Your Partner in Charge, Daryl Strong helped me setup my first corporation years ago before he joined your firm. I knew him and when my business was expanding here in Chicago, I called him for a recommendation, simple as that."

"That doesn't explain the reason I was assigned to your case."

"No, you're right. I asked Daryl to assign you." He replied confidently.

"How did you even know I worked for the firm?" Just then, the lightbulb started going off in my muddled brain. He must have been following my progress or at least checking on my whereabouts periodically since college. At first the thought alarmed me thinking he was stalking me. Then I blushed slightly at the implication, he was really interested in me after all. My blush turned into a warmth all over. I felt desired again, just like Bill had done that first Christmas before we were married.

Warren's eyebrows went up in a questioning gesture, "Figured it out yet?"

"I have my version, but I'd like to hear yours." I replied now fully back in attorney speak.

"Ah, the attorney has returned. Okay, as you probably guessed, I did keep loose tabs on you since college. It wasn't like I hired a private investigator or anything crazy, but I kept track. You remember Sheila your roommate right?"

Again, using Sheila just like Bill had done. She and I had remained at least casual friends over the years. We talked a few times a year, just catching up on each other's lives. I suppose Warren found a way to as well. Certainly enough to remain current on my whereabouts. I wonder if Sheila and Warren ever got together to discuss me over pillow talk.

"So what is it you want Warren?" My tone, seemed argumentative, even to me.

"What I'd like is to have dinner with you."

"I don't think that is a very good idea. I'm not sure my husband would appreciate it."

"I didn't say you couldn't bring him along, did I?"

"Warren, didn't we say everything we needed to that day in the student union? I mean, after I accused you of being gay, I'm surprised, you're even still speaking to me, much less seeking me out as the attorney for this real estate transaction."

"Back then, I never said I didn't want to be friends. You seemed pretty enamored with yourself if I recall, so the topic never really came up."

"What would be the point?"

"The point then, and now is, I would just like to be friends, with you, your husband, and your other friends too. I'm just moving into town. I don't know anyone other than my business associates. It might be fun to spend some time with people that know the area while getting to know Chicago better. Anything wrong with that?" Warren was starting to sound a little perturbed.

"I'll check with my husband, and let you know. How does that sound?"

"Still carrying a chip on your shoulder because I rebuffed you all those years ago aren't you?"

"What? No, of course not."

"I think you are. I can see it in your body language, which doesn't quite match the words coming out of your mouth."

"And what exactly is my body language telling you, that doesn't match my words?"

"For one thing, although you're married, you're carrying yourself as if you are available. You're posture is a little straighter, and you're eyes are showing your emotions with every word you're speaking. Even though you claim your husband would mind if we went to dinner, I don't think you really mean that. I think it's just a smoke screen. You're eyes are telling a different story."

"Well I think your crystal ball has a few cracks in it. You might want to take it to the dealer and get them to look at it. I'm very happily married, thank you." I didn't exactly say it scornfully, but it was close. I also didn't say it convincingly enough, even for myself. And of course it was at least a small lie. I wasn't entirely happy with Bill. He was trying to make up for it by spending extra time with me since his big acquisition, but it looked like it was going to be a long way back to where we were, for me anyway.

"Fair enough. My offer still stands for you, and your husband. Now I don't want to make you late for your next appointment, so you should probably saunter your pretty little figure right out the door so you're on time. Bye Laura."

And just like that, he got up and left. I was still sitting there feeling like a child that had been scolded for doing what, I had no idea. He had summarily dismissed me and left me sitting like a fool. I thought about the entire encounter for maybe a minute, before checking my watch. I did need to get moving to my next appointment.

The next two weeks, went by without much drama in my life. Warren was never far from my thoughts however. I'm sure Bill noticed my melancholy moments. He tried extra hard to lure me to dinners, and impromptu lunches. I always accepted, since deep down, I really did love Bill, or maybe I loved Bill for his confidence, support, and getting us both through law school without scratching each other's eyes out or going crazy in the process. I was confused over my emotions.

The firm offered me a full partnership, which I gratefully accepted. At the announcement party, all of the staff, their spouses or significant others attended in addition to Warren Blaylock much to my surprise. An otherwise very happy time in my life, turned nearly disastrous for me personally. I was constantly trying to steer Bill away from Warren, so none of us had to go through that uncomfortable moment.

I watched Warren watching Bill. I watched Warren watching me. I watched Marsha observing the interplay, with almost school girl like giddiness, hoping she would get a shot at Bill if the wheels fell off the cart in my marriage. I was determined not to let that happen. I felt the attraction again, after all those years with Warren. It was almost hypnotic in its control of me. I mentally punched myself to break out of my reverie in thinking about 'what if?'

Spyauth
Spyauth
120 Followers
123456...8