Lauren and Bonnie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers

"I never even thought about it, Bonnie. I guess I think of you as a friend and friends don't do those kinds of things. At least, true friends don't."

"Thank you, Zach. That's one of the nicest things you've ever said."

"You're welcome, Bonnie. But there is one thing you should know."

"What?"

"I do look at your boobs when you aren't watching," he chuckled.

"Oh. You fooled me. They're the only thing that seems to get a man's interest," she sighed.

"Wrong. There's a lot about Bonnie Cosworth that I find very attractive. In fact, I've been trying to work up the courage to ask you out."

"You have?" she said in surprise. "Well ... why don't you?"

"I think I just did," Zach said. "It would be someplace nice and quiet with good food and a decent wine list."

"I'd love to," she gushed. "You name the time and place and I'll be there."

"Well, how about six o'clock this Saturday. I'll pick you up at your place if you'll give me your address."

"Really! Saturday? Six o'clock? You're serious?"

Zach grinned. "Very serious. I'd like to take my favorite lady out to dinner. Have you ever been to The Penny Farthing?"

"No. Isn't that the place you were going to have Lance's birthday party?"

"Yes indeed. However, this time I think it's going to be a lot more fun."

"I'll be ready ... count on it," she said with glee.

"I am counting on it."

~*~

"Dad, when are you going to speak to Mom?" Tanner asked. "She's hardly ever home. She never has dinner with us anymore. We might as well not have a mother."

Zach nodded. He had reached the breaking point and it was time to talk to Tanner and Lance about his plans.

"Find your brother for me please. Tell him there's a family meeting and I need him here."

Zach saw Tanner's eyes widen in recognition that something big was coming down. He pulled out his cell phone and called his brother.

"He'll be here in ten minutes," Tanner informed his father.

Zach went to the kitchen and took down a bottle of brandy from the liquor cabinet. He poured himself a stiff measure into a snifter and waited for his younger son to arrive. Tanner sat silently at the kitchen table, waiting for the meeting with apprehension. He was pretty sure this wasn't going to be good.

Lance arrived just when he said he would, walking in the kitchen door and showing sweat pouring off him.

"What were you doing when Tanner called?" his father asked.

"We were playing touch football. Tanner said it was important, so I booted it over here as fast as I could."

"Thank you, Lance. Why don't you get washed and bring a towel. We can wait a couple more minutes."

"Yeah, sure," he said, moving quickly to the bathroom.

Tanner got up and went to the fridge, taking out two sodas and returned to the table, placing one where Lance would sit. Zach smiled at him for his thoughtfulness toward his brother. It was a simple thing, but sometimes simple gestures like that mean a lot.

"Guys, it's time to tell you what I plan to do. I've done everything I can think of to get your mother to rejoin this family. Oh, I know, her body is here every day at one time or another, but her spirit isn't. For a long time I thought it was about the money and recognition, and maybe that's still so. However, I no longer have a marriage in the way that it once was and I plan to end it. I have filed for divorce. The papers will be formalized next week. That's going to mean some big changes around here."

His sons sat silently, showing neither surprise nor denial.

"The way the law works, your mother will end up with custody of both of you until you are eighteen years old. For you, Tanner, that's only a couple of months from now. Lance, you're going to be a year plus yet.

"I will have to vacate the house and find another place to live. I've already been looking for an apartment and I think I've found one. Once the divorce goes through the courts, the division of assets will take place and I expect the house will go up for sale. I assume we would split the income from its sale and that would allow me to look for something more substantial.

"I will probably have to pay alimony unless we can prove that your mother makes as much or more than me. There will also be lawyer's fees, household maintenance and child support as long as either of you are living here. Your college tuition and board is looked after and can't be touched for any other reason until you complete your education."

Zach stopped and sipped his brandy. Neither of his sons had said a word during his explanation. Finally, Tanner spoke.

"Dad, both Lance and I could see this coming. I wish it wasn't so, but Mom gave up on us for whatever reason. I'm really pissed at her and I know Lance feels the same way. If we have to live with her, she isn't going to enjoy it."

"I appreciate your show of support, guys, but don't make your life any more difficult than it's going to be. You just have to get through a few months and you'll have the freedom to do what you want. I'm not sure how your mother is going to react when I tell her my plans, but it might not be very pretty. Just don't do anything that will really upset the applecart."

"I guess we'll have to wait and see what she does when you tell her," Tanner said sourly. Lance was nodding in agreement.

Zach knew that he wasn't going to be able to delay announcing his intention to Lauren. Although the paperwork wouldn't be ready until Tuesday of the following week, he planned to use Sunday to talk to her. It was now Friday, thus he didn't have to wait very long to release all the tension that had been building while he came to his irrevocable decision.

Lauren arrived home well after seven that evening, walking into the house, briefcase in hand and barely acknowledging Zach's presence. If there was a straw that broke the camel's back, that must have been it. Zach discarded his carefully rehearsed speech for the Sunday and followed his wife to the bedroom.

"There is something you need to know, Lauren," he said, standing in the doorway of their bedroom and she shed her jacket.

"Not now, Zach. I'm tired and I'm hungry. We can talk later," she said dismissively.

"No ... not later ... now!" he snapped.

That got her attention.

"What's so damn important that it can't wait?" she snarled.

"Yesterday, I filed for divorce. The paperwork will be available on Tuesday for your signature. I suggest you get a lawyer to represent you."

"You WHAT!?" she hollered.

"I said, I filed for divorce. The grounds are irreconcilable differences."

"I don't believe you. This is no time for a stupid joke, Zach."

"It's no joke, I'm deadly serious. You've completely abandoned this family over the past year, and I've had enough. I'll be moving out tonight."

"You can't be serious. You are going to divorce me because I have a job?" The expression on her face was one of incredulity.

"Right now and for the last several months, that's all you've had. I'm no longer interested in trying to make this marriage work. Apparently, neither are you."

"You bastard!" she shouted. "You think you can just walk away and leave me alone after twenty years? I'll fight this with everything I have. You've been jealous of me and my success ever since I started work. Now you think you can just dump me like yesterday's newspaper. I've got news for you. I'll get myself a lawyer all right. I'll fight tooth and nail to show you what happens when you try and cross me." Her face had become distorted into a grotesque red mask of rage.

"You had your chance to save the situation, Lauren, but you blew me off along with your sons. I took it for as long as I could, but tonight was just another example of how little we mean to you. I'll drop the paperwork off to you on Tuesday. In the meantime, I'll get some things from the bathroom and leave. I've already packed most of the clothes I'll need."

"So this is the big, brave Zachary Thurlow. A little bit of trouble with his wife not being totally subservient to him and he runs away. You gutless bastard. I'll show you who's going to dictate what happens in this house."

Zach was shaking his head as he listened to her rant. It was pointless to argue with her and it was best that he left now before things got out of hand.

He collected his toiletries from the bathroom, put them in a carry-on bag and went to Tanner's bedroom. He was surprised to see both Tanner and Lance sitting on the edge of the bed, looking very forlorn.

"I gather you heard some of that," he said.

"Yeah ... hard not to hear her when she's in scream mode," Lance said.

"I've got my cell phone, so you know how to reach me. I'm staying at the Forest Hills Inn until I can confirm an apartment to rent. Stay in touch, guys. I can't tell you what to do about your mother other than to remember that she is your mother and not some demon. She's pretty upset with me right now, but I don't think it will fall back on you. Just keep your cool. If things get out of hand, call me."

"Okay, Dad," Tanner said. "I guess we can understand why you have to go after what we heard. I couldn't live with that either."

Zach and the boys shook hands, hugged, and he left, heading downstairs to the garage. His packed suitcases were there and he moved them to his car. There was no sign of Lauren. Within five minutes, he was driving away and off into the unknown world of separation and divorce. It would not be a happy journey.

~*~

"Hi, Zach," Bonnie said with her usual enthusiasm. "How's your day going?"

"Going like a full-race Ferrari, Bonnie. Lots of noise and plenty of tire squeal."

She laughed. "I know you're tired of hearing it, but that dinner on Saturday was the best I've ever had anywhere. All those pounds I lost in the past few months were right back on me after that and I still have no regrets."

Zach chuckled as he listened to her enthusiasm. "Well, I'm here to tell you they don't show. All that hard work is paying off for you. You look the picture of health."

"Thank you, kind sir. Ever since I joined that exercise club at the community center, I've been really motivated to keep working out. I'm glad you think it's paying off."

"Well, you've only been at it for three months, so you've done very well in a short period of time. It took me six months to really feel I was back in tip-top shape."

"I feel good, too," Bonnie said. "I feel like I've got more energy. My clothes fit better and I'm sleeping really well. I'm sure glad I took your advice."

"I noticed a couple of guys approach you earlier. Were they looking for a date?" he grinned.

"I don't know. They were just making small talk, but it's the first time I've had that happen."

"Well, that's just a sign they're beginning to notice you and the changes. Keep up the good work and it will be a steady stream of guys around you and you can pick and choose."

"Yeah, I guess," she said, looking a bit disappointed.

"So, if I asked you for a date next weekend, would I have to get in line?" Zach asked.

"No!" she said immediately, wide-eyed. "You want to go out again?"

"Sure. There's a play on at the community playhouse that I hear is pretty good. I can get tickets for Saturday if you would like to join me."

"Oh, yeah ... that would be great. Thank you, Zach."

"My pleasure," he smiled.

~*~

When the bills were tallied up, Zach had spent more on his lawyer than he could possibly pay in any reasonable amount of time. He couldn't blame the lawyer. He was only responding to all the delays and arguments that arose endlessly over the year that the proceedings took place. He would be in debt for a long time to come. His wife had extracted a huge price for his freedom.

His lifestyle was modest in the extreme. He lived in a two bedroom furnished apartment that was mediocre at best. He simplified his life so that he was living within his limited means. Somehow, the court had decided to grant Lauren a large amount of spousal support against his lawyer's objections.

The income statement from Lauren smelled to high heaven, but so far any attempt to extract compensation records from her employer had been stonewalled. His lawyer was of the opinion that Lauren was getting inside assistance at her workplace. It raised some interesting questions about who would be prepared to falsify court ordered documents. Zach was in no position to hire a private investigator and both his lawyer and Lauren were well aware of that.

His one luxury was his once-a-week date with Bonnie. He would go without to be able to spend just that one evening with her. He needed the comfortable companionship, the conversation, and the sense of self-worth that she provided. Bonnie was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise oxygen-deprived environment.

~*~

Lance was laying on his bed when his cell phone chirped. He smiled as he recognized the caller.

"Hey, Dad, how's it goin'?" Lance asked. He had left a message for his father to call him at home.

"Not bad, Son. I keep my feet on dry land at all times."

"Hey, that's good, right?"

"So they say. What can I do for you?"

"Uhhm ... I got some information that I thought you should know about. It's about Mom."

"Oh? What kind of information?"

"Well, I hear she's buying a townhouse. One of my buddies at school ... well ... his dad is in real estate and I heard Mom talking to him on the phone."

"I guess that's not a surprise. We sold the house and will split the remaining equity. I'm almost able to pay off my lawyer. Now I'm only in debt for the next ten years," Zach chuckled.

"Yeah, well that's what I was thinking about. I'm sure Mom must have had some pretty big bills from her lawyer. How come she can afford to buy a fancy townhouse in Devon Estates?"

"Devon Estates? That's where she's buying?"

"Yeah. I thought that was kind of strange, considering."

"Well, well. It sounds like your mother isn't quite as hard up to make ends meet as she claims. I think I'll have a talk with my lawyer. Thanks for the information, Lance. I really appreciate it. How are you and Tanner holding up?"

"No problem for Tanner, Dad. He's already moved into his dorm at college. I still have to serve out my time here."

"I saw your mother last weekend at The Penny Farthing when I went there for dinner with a friend. She was with some guy."

"Was he a big, dark-haired guy with about twenty pounds of gut hanging out over his belt?"

Zach laughed. "Yeah, that was him. Do you know him?"

"He's one of Mom's customers. He's a builder. Does custom homes and upscale townhouses like the one Mom is buying."

"Oh, so maybe it was a business meeting," Zach suggested.

"Maybe, but they seem to be having an awful lot of meetings in the last couple of months."

"Well, she's single again, so I guess that's to be expected."

"I thought she'd at least do better than that slob. I guess he has lots of money. That seems to be a big deal with Mom."

"I'll let you know what I find out, Lance. In the meantime, we'll stay in touch as always. Take care," Zach said fondly.

"Yeah, you too, Dad."

~*~

"Any thoughts on Saturday night?" Zach asked as he sat with Bonnie in the cafeteria.

"Yes ... uhhm ... I was thinking ... what about if you came to my place and I made dinner for us."

"Oh. Well, sure, if that's what you'd like to do."

Zach detected a sigh of relief when he agreed. Bonnie was a bit uptight about the invitation.

"Oh, good. I'll make something special for us. Can you bring a bottle of wine? I don't know anything about wine."

"Yes, of course. Just let me know whether you are having meat or poultry or fish, okay?"

"It's seafood. Will that help?"

"That's all I need to know," Zach laughed. "Now you've got me really interested. I haven't had seafood in a very long time."

"Well, prepare yourself for a treat," she grinned.

"Oh, I meant to tell you, my lawyer phoned last night. It seems there's some doubt about Lauren's income statement to the court and my guy has filed a motion to appeal the spousal support. He thinks the books were cooked in her favour."

"Really? That will get her in trouble, won't it?"

"It will if they find she had anything to do with it. For me, it just means more legal bills. I just want this over with someday soon."

Bonnie reached out and took his hand. It was a vote of reassurance and support.

"You are the bravest and toughest man I know," Bonnie smiled. "You have stayed so strong and calm during all this. If it had happened to me, I think I would have gone crazy."

"There were times when I thought I was going off the deep end, I can assure you. I just had to calm down and try to think things through. Do only the important things in life, not the trivial. One of those important things has been you, Bonnie. You've been a great help to me and I really appreciate it."

Bonnie sat back and blinked her eyes. She was on the verge of tears as Zach told her how much she had meant to him. She had fallen in love with the man, knowing in all likelihood that it would never be returned. Even so, she felt a loyalty to him that she couldn't and wouldn't forego.

~*~

Lance's cellphone chirped as he was sitting at his desk doing his homework. Once again, he smiled as he recognized his father's number.

"Hi, Dad."

"Hi, Lance, how are you?"

"I'm okay, Dad."

"How's your mother?"

"I don't know. Something's got her really mad and she's been stomping around the house for the last day muttering to herself."

"Well, maybe I can clear that up for you. My lawyer was able to get the records from your mother's employer to see just how much she actually did earn. It looks like she only declared her salary and not her commission. I don't know how she got away with that, but my guy says she and her employer are in a whole heap of trouble."

"Will she be thrown in jail," Lance asked alarmed at his mother's action.

"No, I can't imagine that will happen. What's most likely is that she will be ordered to repay all the unwarranted alimony to me. The court will decide how much that will be."

"Oh ... that's good. I wouldn't want to see her go to jail."

"Neither would I, Lance. I don't like her very much anymore, but I'm not that mean."

"Is it okay if I stay here over the weekend? I think I'd better stay close to Mom just in case."

"Okay, Lance. I understand. Anything else I should know about?" Zach asked.

"No, everything's okay otherwise. I'm nearly done in school, so I can start my summer job at Mom's boyfriend's construction company."

"Yeah, that will keep you busy and build some muscles while you're at it," his father chuckled.

"I'll get a real good chance to work on my tan, too. The girls will freak when I go back to school in September."

"I bet they will. Well, take care and call me if you need anything."

"Thanks, Dad. See yuh."

While Tanner had pretty much cut himself off from his mother, surprisingly Lance had stayed close to her and was no longer talking about leaving home. He had dropped the idea of summer school in favour of earning some money toward buying a car. Apparently, the job Lauren's boyfriend had offered paid very well.

It wasn't really a big surprise to Zach. He knew Lance was close to his mother through the years. He had either forgiven her for her attitude toward his father and the family, or decided to let bygones be bygones. Zach wasn't upset with that decision. Perhaps it would temper Lauren's anger toward him, although Lance's description of her behaviour as a result of the court order didn't make her sound very forgiving.

~*~

"So what are our plans for the weekend," Bonnie asked with a wink.

"Well, you'll be pleased to hear that Tanner is away visiting a girlfriend in Coldstream and Lance is staying home with his mother. She's currently quite upset about the judge's decision on her income statement. That leaves me free for the weekend," he grinned and winked back at her.

coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers