Lauren, Three

Story Info
No? Yes? Maybe?
935 words
4.28
2.9k
5
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lauren

Three

The house had been neglected the last few weeks, what with all my traveling, so I devoted Saturday morning to cleaning and laundry. I'm not a slob, but then again a few things out of place doesn't disturb me. I do have a lady who comes in monthly and does the deep cleaning, but in the meantime I have to keep up.

I considered calling Lauren, but had the feeling she wanted some space to 'process' things.

Process was not something I needed. I knew. I liked her and wanted to see her again.

~~~

I pulled the Jag from the garage and gave her a thorough wash. I had inherited many things from Dad, but this was special. He had other cars besides The Cat, but to him they were just transportation. He and Mom had honeymooned in her, traveled all over the western US, taken her to car shows.

Just after noon curiosity got the better of me, so I called, but it went to voice mail. All I could think to say was it was me and wondering if there were a problem.

I called the neighbor kid who mowed my lawn, had him come over and take care of it while I took the TR 8 out for a spin. This was one I had bought after college. The wedge shape and V-8 engine just appealed to me. Being able to do most of the maintenance was a bonus.

Generally I take it up into the hills where the twisty roads make driving fun.

I'd just left the house when my phone buzzed. Pulling over I saw it was Lauren, so picked up.

"Hey John," She sounded tense; "do you want coffee?"

"Sure, when?"

"I'm there now."

~~~

When I walked in she was at 'our' table, two cups on the table. Lauren wore shades, one hand in her lap, the other clenching her cup. Yeah, she really was clenching, to the point her knuckles were white.

I leaned to give her a kiss, but she pulled back. Almost as if I was about to strike her.

Okayyy. "Hi, how are you. What's up?"

She removed the sun glasses, her eyes were all red and puffy.

Before I could say anything she held up her hand. "I can't see you any more. It's not going to work." And then she slipped her glasses back on and stood.

"Whoa, hold on. can you at least tell my why? You didn't have me drive over here just to say you can't see me again did you? You seemed to enjoy last night, dinner went well, and you had no complaints as we walked. In fact I remember you leaning into me a bit."

She sat again.

Put her glasses on the table.

Even with the puffiness her eyes were beautiful.

"You're too bossy for me. I thought about it on the way home. You made all the decisions. Didn't ask my opinion. Just like my ex-boy friend. I can't live like that."

"I'm sorry you feel like that, but your ex isn't me. The only reason I made those decisions last night was because I wanted to impress you. Like I said last night, I've known that family since before I can remember. Tony was just a kid running between the tables when I was 5 or 6. My mother's people came from the same region of Italy as theirs. I consider them as some of my best friends. I knew, absolutely knew, his cooking would amaze you. I watched, you enjoyed every bite. So what the hell did I do so wrong?"

"I can't explain it. Just the more I thought about it the worse it seemed."

"Well, okay then. I had hoped we were going some where, but I guess not. It was nice knowing you Lauren Wilcox, I'll cherish last night."

All I could do was walk out and get into the Triumph. I must have just sat for a few minutes before keying the ignition. If she walked out, I didn't see her.

Two hours and half a tank of back hill driving and my head felt clearer. much better to find out now rather than later we weren't a match.

Too bad, she had a beautiful smile.

~~~

The summer progressed; June became July and business was steady. I'd sometimes spend a week, sometimes ten days out of town. My work is interesting because I help others solve problems. It's rewarding because they pay me nicely. Nothing outrageous, after all these weren't mega corps, but medium sized businesses, looking to be a bit more profitable.

The weekend after the Fourth, I was at the boat giving her a good scrub, noting in a notebook items for correction - scratched or dinged paint, teak rails needing refinishing, a sail cover to be replaced. Nothing immediate, but none to be forgotten either.

My phone buzzed. I was about to let it go to VM when I saw Lauren's name.

"Hi John, umm, it's Lauren. Can we have coffee?"

"Not really Lauren, I'm kinda busy."

"Oh, okay, I understand. Maybe another time."

"Hold on. I said I'm busy and can't have coffee. If you want to talk, come down to the marina, gate three. Call me and I'll let you in."

"Oh, sure. Half an hour?"


"Sure, be sure to wear soft soled shoes."

I spent the time tidying things; making sure the bunks were made, dishes and cups properly stowed. In the cockpit all lines coiled and out of the way.

What's that term? Oh yeah; futzing.

~~~~~