Leaving Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She said, "She worked as a diamond cutter and polisher before joining the space program. Some of the best trained people in the business are natives. We are going to ship these rock beauties covertly back to the Shuttle Base. The triplets are due for a vacation. Oh! You will be on the same flight in a few days."

So it had been four months of constant work on the Moon. I rarely had time to think, but it had been fun. It was hard to believe I was still doing the same job I had done for several years, but on a different planet and for a mysterious boss. But I knew how to keep my mouth shut.

Ali said, "I would kiss you if I could. This haul will pay a big slice of the cost we intend to incure." She had about ten duffle bags loaded with raw Champagne Diamonds. "Now seal up the location and we can go back to base." I assumed they would dip in, when need demanded.

* * *

I was going to end up in lunar orbit for four days before my shuttle was ready. Xing Xing and Yvette were happy to take me up. They took me to the station, where they slept and ate. Gave me a bunk and a busy schedule and helped me into the equipment suits that they used to scoot about the fiber frames arriving from Earth. Most of the freight came without a shuttle attached. They had to divide the coded equipment bags, those that go to North Wall (load the hopper that was headed there) and those that were going to the south wall (load the hopper going there) and those going somewhere else (like the French colony or the Russians). There were storage rigs for freight, not yet ready to go somewhere. Some frames were taken apart and shipped down to be used as parts for various jobs.

I was taught how to jump from one place to another and use the gas jets to return, if I missed a jump. Yvette was watching me.

"It takes weeks to get it right, so you can jump without missing. I was terrible at first." she explained.

I was very tired when the first break came. There was two sleep breaks in 24 hours. One for 3 hours and another for 7 hours. You had to do your eating then as well. I shucked my suit and headed for my bunk.

After I was close to sleep, Yvette joined me and there was not much sleeping after that. That was the pattern for the next four days. I would have said a proper goodbye, but the shuttle became available and I boarded in the middle of a work stint. All three sisters came on the shuttle at the last moment, and acted as if nothing had changed. I felt a complete stranger for the nine days to Earth.

Where had they stored the diamonds? I do not know and maybe it is better that way. The shuttle was mostly empty. Just 20 of us including Xing Xing and a couple of workers who needed hospital care. The rig holding the rockets was smaller and the freight I learned was mostly rock samples for the Chinese to work with. Empty containers were not shipped back to Earth, but were used as materials for the crater habitats.

We glided into Candle Lake and the runway was barely long enough for the shuttle. We were towed into arrivals and for one moment my heart was troubled. My Doris was waiting. I was going to have to take it easy, as I weighed about 6 times what I did on the Moon.

Lucky for me, Doris had a couple of days off and we spent it together in bed. She was surprised by how much I slept and made me see the doctor at the clinic.

"What is the relationship between you and Ali?" I asked her one late morning.

"We talk. We agree. We plan." she said mysteriously. "I know about the diamonds so feel free to talk. Also the lava tube. We have already given it a name. The Crow Cave. A future home for some of our people."

"So the Chinese are not in on this?" I asked.

"There are only a dozen people in on it. Now that you know, you are the 13th man."

"Why would your people leave the north of Canada, when you are very much getting it together?"

"We are a people who have become addicted to the cities. Much of the population growth in Canada is aboriginal. Most will not prosper in the white man's castles. In a year or so, we intend to offer natives a new home. The size of the lava tubes will allow intensive farming and a controlled environment along with space to build highrise apartments like the cities. You saw Crow Cave."

"Yes. We spent three days exploring it. It is 300m wide, 250m high. You could build right to the top. It has a few cracks but will not collapse. That means 50 to 60 stories of flats. You would not need to occupy too much of the agricultural land." I explained. Instead of having living quarters in the middle, I suggested the high rises be placed at the two ends of the tube.

Doris said, "This is why we needed the diamonds. Equipment needs to be bought, built and manufactured for when the time is right. That we can do here. Other reserves will have to take up the slack as the time arrives. Earthworms, seeds, soil, mushrooms, and lots more nitrogen unless we can find a source there."

"Oh! There is sufficient nitrogen in the moon soil, but extracting it is tricky." I commented.

"You have been studying. What else did you discover? Maybe a little Xing Xing?" she smiled and grabbed the pillow.

"I am as pure as the driven snow. Got only eyes for a certain Ravenchild." I untruthfully stated. I was the luckiest of men and she saw my gratitude in my eyes.

"We got work for you, Perera." she pounced and tried to smother me.

Chapter 6 : Nano Lessons

Later she clarified her statement over tea, prairie tea that is. "I want you to go back to school. You will need a new identity and some references to get you in. They will never suspect you of being native, nor will you ever mention your connection with the Moon or this base."

I looked at her with a question on my face. "And are you going to explain what this is all for?"

"Well it is a safeguard in case we cannot get an expert to run the robotics in the Nano factory. You have to learn as much as you can in the next six months. I have used the base's connections and we will allow you a lab, to practice what you are learning. Courses are available and we have hidden your internet access point, as well as anyone can. You tell us what you need and when you are ready, we will take your new identity and apprentice you to one of the Calgary factories." she explained.

God help me. I am a smart fellow but six months to come around to running a nano factory on Luna?

It was probably good that I did not have enough time. All electronic history and older methods went out the door, and only the newest controls could I make time for. The software was improving, as I learned. Much of the details were controlled by the A.I. It turned out, that what I would be needing most was, a man with the specs, for the devices we wanted to produce. We wanted to remove any kind of surveillance devices. How would I know, if I investigated a device. Would I know where the surveillance was coming from. My head felt at times that it was about to explode.

"Rocky Mountain Devices has an intern program and we have arranged for you to go there." Doris explained. "You need to find a good friend in the company and make him an offer he can't refuse. Someone who shares with you the secrets of their sensors."

"And if I have to sleep with her." I teased.

She turned red. "Whatever it takes. We need help and time is short."

Doris told me before I left that Ali's four girls and her husband Alex would be traveling through the next day. On their way to joining their mother. Doris and I were at arrivals to greet them.

Kimberly the youngest at seven, Khloe the second at nine, Zoey the second oldest at 11 and last and oldest Julia at 13. They were knock-offs of their mother, small boned and tall. Zoey was a little more heavy set. My favourite was Julia and she let me know that she liked me too. Alex had them well in tow. They all looked a little out of place, but I could see them fitting into the Moon colony.

Doris explained. "We have been producing many Lunar suits for children, this last couple of months. The girls should be well taken care of." I wanted to go back, just to see how those girls managed in their new home. Julia was the most like her mother.

They flew out to orbit the next day and I flew to Calgary. I was now alone. On my own. Not being ordered around and I really missed the women in my life. Rocky Mountain Devices was small and one of the newest companies in the successful nano corridor, along the highway leading to Banff. Morley was the central town, hub of the present and future economy. On the other side of Alberta, tar sands were closing down after 40 years of controversy.

Glenn Fletcher met me at the front desk, 9am HQ, 1000 Main Street, Morley. He was a short and worried man, as smart as lightning and wealthy by the look of his clothes.

"Got your message, let me show you around. This is the newest operation in Alberta and top of the line." he had his salesman voice on.

I did get the tour and what struck me? There was little noise and nothing but hip-high square machines buzzing and dishing out tiny circuits into small canisters. Clean, the whole place was spotless.

"Where are the people?" I thought...

Glenn said, "Jack has an office out back. He sends packages special delivery airmail. Roger and Richard are the bosses, I have no idea what they really do. I set up this operation and I am now wondering how long they will keep me. After I train you, that is."

What we did the next two months was sit in the lunch room and trade stories. I liked the guy. He was happy to have someone to talk to.

"Glenn," I asked "What do you want to do after this?"

"I have been married three times. They got out because of the boredom. If they had only loved me and not my money. I am a good guy, not much for looks, but everyone will lose that in time. I need a woman, someone to love, that is all important."

"You are right there," I replied. "I might be able to help you, and get you a job that is out of this world." What was I thinking?

I got in touch with Doris and apologized for putting her on the spot. Two days later she returned with the answer.

Glenn was explaining to me the process of sensor development. "It is a complete amalgamation of all the skills and knowledge of the human race, miniaturized. I will show you where to find the people in the business of invention, on this nano scale. Before them were great creations like transistors and integrated circuits..."

"Glenn!" I stated straight at him. "I am here for you. Got your back. Have found you someone as I promised. Will you come with me tomorrow and I will show you what I mean. I cannot say more than that at the moment. If you don't come with me, I will be gone in the morning without a trace. It has been a pleasure, but I have someone waiting for me and she demands my being there."

We rented a car and I drove us to Medicine Hat in the morning. From the airport, Doris provided a leased plane and it flew us to Candle Lake.

She was waiting for us at arrivals. With her was her aunt Rosa Adam. I greeted Rosa and then she went directly to Glenn grasped his hands and leading him off. We did not see him again for a week.

One day as I was downing some lunch in the cafeteria, Glenn waved to me from across the room and brought his coffee over to me. "I have to thank you man. This is the right place for me and when we go up to Plato next month, Rosa will be coming with."

"You ready to start making the orders." I asked. "We have a few mirage companies that act for Candle Lake. I personally cleaned and sealed that factory cavern at Plato South."

"I don't see any problems with the vacuum manufacturing. Our tolerances should become the best in the business. Anyway, I am not happy without a good problem to solve." he explained. Tears filled his eyes. "I was beginning to think life was reaching its end. Thanks for the rescue."

"I am just part of a team. We are going to do great things. Just wait until you meet Ali. She will not give you any time to catch your breath. And thank Rosa every time you see her."

Chapter 7 : Back to Plato

When all the orders were filled, we decided to bring much of the more delicate equipment onto the shuttles. The waffers were of little weight, but the manufacturing machines were heavy. We had to drop five passengers for each item. When the time arrived, I and Doris said our good-byes as did Glenn and Rosa. She was still needed in the spacesuit factories.

Glenn and I had the nine days side by side. Lots of time to make plans and discuss details. Communications with Luna and Earth were perfect and I used the sources Glenn provided me with, to brush up on all the stuff I had not the time to learn, while trying to convince Glenn of the glories of Lunar Life. Proud Lunies. Lunar Hosers.

It seemed that the shuttle had no regular north-side Plato peoples working there. When we arrived in Moon orbit, the freight haulers took us and the shuttle contents directly to south-side. For a week I did not know if north-side was aware that I had arrived. The Habitat, named Endevour, was complete and consisted of 80 tunnels and Ali's interior handiwork. Let's just say that a family flat took up four tunnels wide and 60 meters long and 2 tunnels high.

There is plenty of room for living, 20 bedrooms, 12 doubles and 8 singles, a big communal kitchen and showers, toilets and baths. The upper rooms were accessed not by stairs, which would use valuable space, but a fireman's poll. On the moon I weigh 15kg but I am two centimetres taller. A kick up got me hitting the roof, if I did not have the pole to stop me.

Not every flat housed 32 people. But there was a rule that 24 was the smallest group allowed. They could decorate it as they liked. There was also two rooms that could be used for business or parties up over the kitchen.

It turned out Ali wanted me with her family. That sounded perfectly acceptable, now that the whole bunch were there. I did not want to live with strangers.

Ali had an Entourage. Nothing like hangers on. Just the best people she knew, for getting a job done. There was Shawn the fiddler. Eddie the carpenter. Gloria the garden queen. Glenn came into this as we needed him close. Ali's family took up three bedrooms and more. I will fill you in as the story continues.

I walked in behind Ali and Glenn. There in the living area sat Alex and his girls. All I saw was a family. I had not had one for many years. Then I saw Julia McLean. She stood and smiled as beautiful as the sun.

We sat about the table with coffee, tea and fruit juices. "You will need a tour of the place, Anthony." explained Alex. "Julia has volunteered to show you everything. She knows this maze better than I do. Tomorrow 9am. No need to start into work for a couple of days. Big party tomorrow night."

"Any excuse for a party," Ali said nervously.

After a few hours of gabbing, Alex showed me my room on the first floor, a double bed room, a thin wide pad on a slab, a sink and a wardrobe on the back wall. I had to add other items with my own money.

"Thank you! It is much more than I expected."

"Ali needs you. There is no-one she talks about more and a husband knows. I know you are keeping hands off and I respect you for it."

"I expect to be a family man someday myself. Got to start out respecting the institution."

"I know you have principles and they are few on the ground. Good luck," said Alex looking straight at me, then he turned and left.

Chapter 8 : The Tour

There was a door made of some foam material overlaid with a grey lacquer. But no locks. Julia was sitting by me as I woke the next morning. "How long you been here?" I asked.

"Just a few minutes. Breakfast is ready and it is 8:30."

"Ok, give me some privacy and I will join you soon."

I dressed enough to make it across to the showers. Hot water recycled and not part of the drinking supply. A good shave and brush and I was back to finish my dressing. I put on my hiking boots.

The girls were in charge of breakfast.

"Shawn is the baker for many of the flats." explained Zoey. "And it is the best bread!"

"Who makes the butter?" I asked.

Zoey squinted up her face. "No cows here, not yet anyway!"

"Now that would be something?" I exclaimed.

All the girls giggled.

The three older girls took it upon themselves to show me the different living quarters. At first every flat was bustling, but after a while, as we went deeper, some flats were just sitting silent and empty. There were two corridors of flats. But the girls said that there was no-one in the second corridor yet. They seemed a little nervous about my idea of checking it out.

We went left instead of right and worked our way back through the warehouse corridor. Here people were setting up offices, supply rooms. There were two schools not in use on a holiday.

"There will be stores when people have stuff to sell." said Julia. "Mom says we need more people. To make it worthwhile."

"How many people so far?" I asked.

"Mother says about 500. The hab will take at least 2000. Maybe another thousand with modifications." Julia explained.

Smart kid. I thought. She has her hand on the pulse of the place. She will probably be running the operation in five years.

"What kind of modifications?" I asked.

"Well there are tunnels unused. Running along both sides of the flats. On the second level."

She certainly had the layout imprinted in her mind.

"The living area might get a little crowded." I suggested.

"Ya, I think your right." she answered.

She understood just how people can get on each others nerves.

"We show him the gardens." said Khloe the nine year old.

From the warehouse corridor, we found a shaft leading up and down. I followed my girls down two levels then a passage leading into the gardens. It was a very large structure. I knew they had them at North Wall, but I had not seen them completed. This Hab had just one and there was only one Gloria. Julia ran ahead down a middle walk and gave Gloria a big hug.

"You getting the tour Anthony?" She was as black as night, not a touch of brown, even her eyes were black. 'You girls come to help or are you believing this rumour that today is a holiday."

"We are working Gloria, showing Anthony about." said Julia. The two younger children offered to help. I guess I had failed their curiosity.

Julia grabbed my hand gently and lead me further down the garden path. I waved back to Gloria and the children.

"I work for her most mornings." Julia explained. "A morning job. Then I go to school in the afternoon. My sisters don't need to work yet."

She showed me the great light panels hanging from the roof. "There are also sprinkler systems and fans to move the air about. Very important to move the air and not always at the same speed. Plants need water, but they also need to dry out. The soil here is not yet very fertile but we are working on it."

I saw bands of root vegetables, some berry bushes, fruit trees and a small field of barley, some wheat.

"Mom says that this is just an experimental garden. We got worms and dusty mushrooms. Compost is working up a heat at the far end. All waste is composted for the garden. Water is recycled. Filtered for toxins. The middle of this room is 24 meters high, then it slopes down like a peaked roof. The soil is held in place by a great lot of tunnel rubble and some rough cloth."

I said, "You are the expert." she smiled at my praise.

"It is my home now. I want to know everything." she said, putting her foot down hard.

"Who planted the barley?" I asked.

She stopped, when I changed the subject. "Oh, that was Shawn's idea. He wanted to make beer."

"It looks like you need more people to finish this project."

"They are coming soon. The barley will mature fast and then real food can be grown." Julia said wrinkling her nose.