Legacy of Faith Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I park here when I need to think, not talk so much." Walt said.

We sipped our beers and they were warm before we finished.

"What's that idea?" Walt finally asked.

"I'd bet the district here would give them both excellent letters of reference if they dropped the wrongful termination suit." I said. Typical of every interaction I'd ever had or heard about with Walt there was a pause before he spoke.

"There's no wrongful termination suit." Walt said. I paused as well.

"Tonight. Probably will be on Friday. They'll all come back to work on Monday and find they are in the midst of a firestorm. They'll help Erynn and Kate get good jobs and carry their accrued time as teachers forward to the new jobs, just to get this out of the papers and off TV." (Pause.)

"But... even if that's true, where can they go? They haven't lived over thirty miles from the farm except when they went to college."

"I'm thinking the schools in Cambria would love to have them both."

After another pause Walt asked: "What if they don't have any openings?"

"Are you always so negative?"

"No." (Pause) "Not always."

"Then suck down the last of the beer and lets go back to the farm." Walt got us breath mints from the glove compartment and we laughed as we ate them. One whiff of the mints and the women would know we'd had a beer or two.

Karen got within five feet of her Dad and announced, "They've had a few beers." We all laughed. Monday morning when the school district office was unlocked they were served. I was already on the phone and easing the way for Erynn and Kate to start teaching either in Cambria or nearby. With their backgrounds and past performance reports it was an easy sell. However, due to contracts and such legal matters they would be prohibited from teaching anywhere until their current contracts expired. They would be paid just as if they were teaching but would not be allowed on a school campus when children were present.

They used the three months well. They started by taking a vacation. Both had wanted to go to Europe, but hadn't gone during their summer breaks because that was when all families took the children. When you spend every working day surrounded with children the thought of being surrounded by more children is not a good selling point. By going in April they saw what they wanted to see, did the things they wanted to do and with smaller crowds.

When they came back they interviewed and were both hired, in different high schools in the same district. The interviews were more form than substance; their contracts were on the desk when the interviews started. They let the leases on their condos end and we moved their things up to our barn while they looked for places to live. I mostly supplied driving skills for the rental trucks. Other than that, I stayed out of the move of their things. Karen had talked to me, making sure I knew what a big psychological thing this move was for her sisters. They had been close, physically and emotionally to their Mom and Dad for their whole lives. Now they were moving over two hundred miles away!

I remembered back to when I left home, at eighteen. I rode a bus from our nearest town in Idaho to Salt Lake City, got on a train and a day and a half later I was in Texas. For the next eight weeks of Air Force Basic Training I only missed my mom's cooking when they served "chipped beef on toast" known accurately as S.O.S. (shit on a shingle.)

Leaving home is different for girls. When I thought about it, Walt and Ann seemed a lot different from my folks. That might have had some influence on why Kate and Erynn stayed so close to the nest so long. The more I got to know Walt and Ann the more I leaned towards that interpretation. Every time I got to their farm Ann seemed to be cooking for twenty people. She made some very delicious meals when I visited.

As we drove the last truck load of stuff up to our barn, Erynn rode with me. I asked how they all stayed slim and fit with the amount of food Ann cooked. She laughed and said, "Mom cooks food for the people in the local hospice. She has a degree in dietary science and she wants them to eat good healthy food that tastes like homemade. A truck comes by every day and takes the food to the hospice. Ann doesn't get paid for her work, just for the ingredients."

Erynn explained that her mom, Ann, had begun cooking like that when her mom had to go into the hospice. She hated the food and started bringing food for her mom, then her mom and one or two others. Pretty soon the owners wanted to hire her and have her cook there. She wanted to use her own kitchen so they bought a van to transport food and she stays home and cooks.

I was blown away at the way Ann just saw a need and started doing what was needed. I said so.

"You're not the only one. Other families found out what Mom does and they wanted to help. Once a week a fifty pound sack of potatoes shows up on our back porch. I've seen bushel baskets of corn, tomatoes, onions, carrots, and so much fruit we had to can. Mrs. Watkins down the road, called mom one day and said, "Could you have the truck stop here too? I'll have some fresh bread for them."

"That was five years ago." Erynn said, "Now Mrs. Watkins makes bread that coordinates with the meals Mom makes. I love it best when she makes sourdough."

At dinner that night I looked around our table. Faith had always been the prayer in our family. She taught the kids to pray. She said nightly prayers with them every night. She got the meals blessed and all that. When I talked to God it was inside. Private. At dinner that night I thought a prayer of gratitude. Not so much in words, but in being present to as much of the wonder, joy, connectedness and love that was there at the table.

Forks clinked on plates, people spoke, laughed, breathed and looked at each other. The universe at our table, in our home, was at peace. As my prayer ended I mouthed, but didn't intend to say, "may we stay this way a long time."

Karen was right to my right side and she said, "Amen."

Our eyes met and we were so connected I knew nothing more needed to be said. She got and echoed my prayer.

Matt asked, "Amen, what?"

Erynn asked, "Did someone say Amen?"

"Mom did, just now. She was looking at Dad and said, "Amen." Matt explained.

Kate looked at Karen and at me and said, "Amen."

Kate typically is the quietest of the three sisters. She doesn't waste words. Melissa looked around the table to get a hint at what was being spoken in the unspoken. Matt was just as lost, until I reached to my left and took his hand in mine. He looked into my face and I said, "May we stay this way a long time."

For a young man Matt catches on quickly. He took the hand of Kate in his other hand and said, "Amen." Kate turned to Erynn and they held hands. "Amen." Erynn held Melissa's hand and they said "Amen." Melissa held Karen's hand and before she spoke Karen held mine and we all said, "Amen."

We were still for many seconds, holding hands and feeling something special. To describe what I felt can be done with one word, but then I'll need to spend a long time telling you the meaning of the word. The word? Family.

I've decided not to explain the word, just tell the story. If you want the explanation, ask me later.

Matt, in typical boy fashion, broke the spell by asking, "Is there any dessert?"

I knew there was and I said, "Sometime this evening we need a family meeting. We need everyone together for the meeting. We can do it while we eat dessert or after, in the family room."

Karen asked, "What's the meeting about?"

"The family. If I say more, we're in the meeting."

Matt asked, "I get to be in the meeting? I'm just a kid."

"You are a part of this meeting. It directly and indirectly impacts your life. You have a say." I said.

"Then I vote for doing it now! I don't like waiting." Matt smiled at all of us. We all agreed. The table was cleared and the cobbler served in short order. Everyone took a bite and then looked at me.

"Look around this table. Six people who love each other. We get along, support each other and seem to like being together. As we've gotten to know each other this year those thoughts have gotten stronger for me. Here's what I propose. Instead of Erynn and Kate renting or buying somewhere, we can build here. If you want your own house, we build you a house. A duplex? That could work too. Add two more suites to this house? All of these options are possible. We have enough land and then we can stay a family, just like this."

Suddenly four women were talking at once. Matt looked shocked and focused his attention on his cobbler. I ate mine as well and watched as Matt carefully traded plates with Kate and gleefully finished her cobbler.

The sound level increased steadily until finally Melissa clapped her hands. Everyone stopped and Melissa said, "Now that we've proved just how far we were from chaos, how about we have a rational discussion. Erynn, you're the oldest female in the family why don't you go first?"

"Speaking for myself, the first thing I thought of was privacy. Then I like quiet. Living with all of you like this, I've already given up both." She paused, held up a hand to make sure whoever was next didn't go, then continued. "It can work, with allowances. I'll need a separate entrance. I'll need soundproofing for my bedroom and office. I like being able to share every day with each of you and need to have my privacy and quiet, too."

I sent Matt to get me a pad of paper and some pencils. I made notes.

Kate spoke next. "I have friends. At school I had friends over a lot. When I was closing up my condo, I needed to collect the keys. When I moved in they gave me two keys. I turned ten back in. I like having friends over and doing stuff."

Matt asked, "What stuff?"

"Yoga, exercise, meditation, studying, talking. That stuff."

"Oh. Ok." Matt responded.

Kate went on. "I have dreamed of a building with a yoga exercise room on the ground floor and my apartment in a loft. Lots of air, light and wood. That dream started way back when we were in college."

Melissa spoke next. "I saw a bigger kitchen, at least three refrigerators and a bigger commercial stove with two ovens. The dining room is fine for us, but when the grandparents come or friends stay for dinner we don't have the room. We've been here less than a year and outgrown the house already."

I asked, "Melissa what about living with all of us?"

"Right off the top of my head, I see a few problems, but there would be problems living alone too. I don't see a deal breaker. I see lots of benefits, too."

"So, you see we need bigger rooms, bigger common rooms." I wrote it down.

We all turned to Karen. She took her time and said, "I'm sure that if this family says it wants to do this, we can do it. When Mike died I said to myself that I was the one responsible for Matt and me. I wouldn't run back to daddy and let him take care of "his little girl" for the rest of his life. Then I took a bigger bite. I accepted being Nick's wife and responsible for him and Matt. He accepted me as a wife, not a daughter. I loved Mike and I have to admit we didn't act like adults. Nick sets the tone for me to act as an adult. He expects it. My thoughts are these: Having all of you around doesn't change that my focus is getting Matt to become a successful adult. With all of us here that job gets easier in many ways and harder in others. It will be a learning process for all of us. I know we can do this, but I'm the only mom in the room. Living with Matt is something for each of you to consider."

I made a few notes and turned to Matt. "Speak up." I said.

"Will there still be room for Notte? Do I get to keep my room? Will I still be in Mr. Garrett's room at school?"

Karen answered, "Notte stays. Your room is your room. We may change the house a little or a lot but we aren't moving. You'll go to the same school. Any other questions?"

"Sometimes I call you Mom and sometimes I call you Momma. I call Nick Dad. What do I call the rest of you?"

The room was quiet until I said, "I think the adults need to sit and think about that question for a while. How about..."

Matt interrupted me, "I can tell you what I want! I want Momma Kate and Momma Erynn and Momma Melissa and Mom. That's what I want!"

I noticed nods all round the table. It was settled. "I love it when things are settled."

The dining room and kitchen got cleaned up and Matt went to bed. He got his goodnight kisses from Momma Kate, Momma Melissa, Momma Erynn and finally from Momma Karen. As she stepped out of the room he looked up at me, winked and said, "Amen."

His eyes closed and I closed the door. Karen took my arm and guided me back to the dining room. All the mommas were seated and waiting. As I sat down Karen asked, "Diet Coke or iced tea?"

"Diet Coke. Thanks." No one spoke until she was back and seated beside me.

Erynn spoke. "Before this goes half an inch farther, we need to have a conversation that Matt doesn't ever need to know about." I smiled.

She continued, "I want privacy because I intend to continue to be sexually active. I will not parade anyone in front of the rest of the family or make a big deal about who I choose to be with. I like quiet because I tend to be quite vocal at certain times and don't want to disturb you or the neighbors."

"If we are a family, who we are with is of concern to each of us. If each of you has three partners a year that could be nine sources of an STD, AIDS or something else that could and would impact all of us. We need to talk about the boundaries for our sexual activities." I said. As I spoke I looked at all four women in turn, not spending any more time with my eyes on any one of them.

Erynn responded, "If I limit myself to females the risk is all but eliminated. I haven't been with a man in years."

"The risk of some STD's is reduced. However, herpes is forever and exists in the lesbian community. We need to protect ourselves as a family and protect each member of the family." I said.

Karen spoke. "As you know, Erynn, I love sex with a woman and with a man. I am more than willing to open myself to a bi relationship, within the family. We can all love each other physically, emotionally and at every level. That opens each of us up to a sexual relationship with four other people. A committed, intimate relationship that's more than just someone to fuck."

"May I speak?" Melissa asked. Erynn nodded. "I have lived as a lesbian for the last few years. I love sex with a woman and I love sex with a man. Not any man, just one. I'll make you a deal. I'll love you as a sister, a co-momma for Matt, a sister lesbian if you'll let me be bi enough to love one man." She pointed at me.

It was obvious Erynn was more used to confronting prejudice from the other side than looking at her own. Karen jumped in. "When Faith was dying she talked with us. In prayer she asked God to help us love each other, Nick and me. Melissa wasn't in the room with us when she talked to us, but my heart tells me she included Melissa in the request that we love each other. I choose to love Nick with all my heart, might, mind, body and soul. I choose to love Melissa with all my heart, might, mind, body and soul. I choose to love each of you just that fully, if we live as a family or we don't!"

Kate had watched and listened. When her mouth opened we all looked at her. "I have a few questions. Since at the moment, everyone doesn't have their own bedroom, who decides who sleeps with whom? Who decides where Nick sleeps or who sleeps with Nick? If I want him in bed with me tonight, how do I make that happen?"

She had gone through being confronted by the concept, the internal conflict over right and wrong and arrived at acceptance. Now she was looking at all the ways to make this work! I was amazed.

Erynn wasn't that quick. She asked, "You're Ok that he's doing your little sister and his own daughter? You're Ok that one night he'll be with you and the next night with someone else?"

"He is. They are. Melissa and Karen are both Ok with it. My getting my panties in a knot won't change reality. I've loved Karen since I was little and had nasty thoughts about both of you while we were growing up. I've bedded a few men over the years and have found pleasure in doing it. As for the daddy-daughter stuff, if Melissa was fifteen I'd call the cops, but she isn't. She's a successful adult with all that goes along with that. She works, pays her bills, doesn't mooch and isn't whoring around. What adults do together is what adults do together and it's Ok with me." She took a breath, "I've wanted people to accept me, just as I am, for years. It goes both ways. If I want acceptance I need to give it. Ok. Karen loves Nick. I accept that and can take the step that says, If Karen loves him, so do I. We must be careful, though. I don't want any part of warping Matt by us living as an alternative family."

"So, If I'm getting you fully, you're in and sex between consenting adults in the family is Ok as long as it is very discrete." I clarified.

"No one in this room is married. Everyone in this room is a legal, sane adult under the law. Everyone in this room has fully participated in sexual activities with other human beings. If that isn't so, we need to know. Given that is who we are, anything agreed on is Ok with me." Erynn said.

Karen said, "In front of Faith I committed my life to Nick. We're married."

"And I to Karen." I said.

"Is it a monogamous marriage? Erynn asked.

Karen looked at Melissa and said, "No. It includes others we love."

Kate added, "Since we cannot all be legally married to Nick, I move that none of us are. That Nick becomes joint legal guardian with Karen of Matt. I also recommend we legally form a business or something that legally binds us together as partners. Each of us holds our own money and buys into the family. Give me a week to do research and I'll come back with a way to do it, legally and protect each of us."

"Everyone in town sees Melissa and I as husband and wife. They see Karen as my son's widow. Soon they'll see both of you as Karen's sisters. We do need to do some legal stuff but I recommend we do it somewhere else, not in Cambria. This is a small town and our family could be a scandal." I said.

"That works. I noticed Melissa and Karen both wear rings. That's easy to explain." Kate said.

"I can have a meeting with professors at Cal Poly. I'm sure they can find us some grad students willing to take designing or redesigning our home as their project and possibly their Masters project. Then we will meet with them and design what works to meet all our needs. That Ok with everyone?" I asked.

Fifteen minutes of hearing from everyone and Kate spoke again. "As I asked a while ago, who decides where Nick sleeps or who sleeps with Nick? If I want him in my bed tonight, how do I make that happen?"

Every eye turned to me. I thought hard about how best to answer. If she had to ask someone it meant that she saw herself as outside, needing permission to do something inside the family. She needed to be inside.

I stood and held out my right hand to Karen. "Karen, will you accept me as your husband and partner in every aspect of this marriage for the rest of our lives together?"

She took my hand and said, "Yes." I held my other hand out to Melissa and asked, "Melissa will you accept Karen and me as your spouses and partners in every aspect of this marriage for the rest of our lives."

Tears flowed down her cheeks as she whispered, "Yes, Nick. I love you both."

Around the room we repeated the questions and answers, adding names at each speaking. When we were all holding hands I said, "We are married. We are family. You may kiss your family." Arms went around bodies and kisses were shared for a long while.