Lessons for Alice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Want one?" He said, standing up.

Alice's eyes went wide, "T-two days, running? I couldn't! You've... You've done so much already. Things are so expensive!"

"Me too, please." Sophie said drily.

Luca nodded, and put a hand on the machine, "It's this one. Check the side for water. It takes these capsules, which go in here. Don't worry about cleanup, after a few I collect and refill them. Cup goes here, and..."

The loud sound of the coffee machine burst out, causing Alice to noticeably flinch. However the fear almost immediately turned to wonder as creme-coloured liquid started pouring out the spout.

"So, the pill." Sophie grabbed Alice's attention again. "It's something that messes a bit with your hormones. Smooths things out for that time of the month, and it stops you getting pregnant. Well, there's a remote chance, but it's like one in a million. Most women in Australia take it, unless they're trying for a kid."

Alice nodded slowly, "I see."

"Even if you'd be mad to think of getting laid, be a good idea to start on it, all the same." Sophie shrugged, "Don't need to see a doc. It's over the counter unless you need one that's a bit stronger to help with your periods... Oh shit. We need to get you a doctor, too. Finding a regular GP at the moment is a bit rough. Most aren't taking new patients."

His cousin went bright red, "A... Doctor? So he'd look at... Me?"

"Not normally. Not unless something's wrong." Sophie shook her head, "Also, my doc's a woman. I couldn't handle seeing a guy."

"A woman can be a doctor? But doesn't that need... Like... University?"

Sophie winced, "God, I wanna kill whoever taught you this bullshit. A woman can be anything, Alice. I'm at uni. Studying physics at the moment, but I'm looking to transfer towards chemistry stuff. I got caught up with it when looking at some geology, and I just love it."

Alice's jaw dropped open, "I did basic chemistry at the school, but... I could be a chemist?"

"Sure. You can be anything." Sophie repeated.

Luca passed out the coffees and sat back down, enjoying the meal he hadn't cooked. As much as it pained him, he had to admit that was the best bit about it. He didn't know if it was just Sophie's interference, but even the eggs were overcooked and bland. He knew his sister was atrocious in the kitchen. She enjoyed cooking, but no one enjoyed what she served.

Eggs shouldn't require a full jaw of chewing.

"Any dream jobs you've wanted, in the past?" Luc asked.

Alice bit her lip nervously, "Not... Really. The... The good wife... It wasn't something Father Thomas forced. He tried to push me towards the farm. Telling me a bad girl like me could never be a good wife. But... I always wanted it. Having a meal on the table when your husband comes home. Doing the laundry. Lighting the fire. I... Like that idea. Less the mother aspects. Toddlers are terrifying. But if it's part of being a wife -"

"It isn't." Sophie interrupted, "If you don't want kids, you don't have to have 'em. Also, any idea where your Father Thomas is?"

"Gaol." Alice said darkly, glaring, "Your sister is as violent as you are, Luc. Is... Is that a family trait?"

"Little bit." He admitted, "But it's mostly just talk. We tend to follow the law. The anger comes out in... Bluster. But also in determination. We get things done. If we want to find a way to make sure you regret hurting our family, we will."

She sighed, putting down her fork. Luca noting that she'd only eaten about three mouthfuls.

Alice smiled sadly, "It's... Um... Difficult? I don't... Don't like it."

"Sorry." Sophie stated.

Luca suddenly looked over at the clock, and bit his tongue to stop from swearing. "Um... Alice? You wouldn't happen to have... Turned off my alarm, this morning, would you?"

"I... I wanted to surprise you. With breakfast." She said, blinking those innocent green eyes at him.

He sighed, standing up, "Well, I was hoping to explain all of this... And I was wondering why I was still out of it by the time Sophie turned up. I... Uh... I've got work, today. Which I'm now late for. Sophie, I'll send you some money. Can you help Alice get all the toiletries and stuff she needs? And maybe a couple more girly treats, too?"

"What?" Alice stared at him in terror.

Luc winced, "I need to go into work. I am going to ask for some time off, so I can help you out some more, but today, at least... Can you... Try? With Sophie?"

"She's... Family." Alice said, looking at the other woman distrustfully.

Sophie sighed and gave a knowing smile, "I'll do my best not to fight with her, Luc. You go. Before work starts calling and asking if you've been in an accident."

"I might... Be late." He cautioned.

Alice's eyes welled up in tears, "I didn't mean it! I was just... Just... Trying to... Treat you..."

"You did good." He said and then really did have to start running. As it was, he was going to be late. No time to shower, barely to get dressed. He'd planned to be heading out the door as soon as Sophie arrived.

He wondered briefly how confused Alice had been with his phone's touchscreen, considering how nervous she was around the computer. Though... He was fairly certain at least a small part of that was just to get him to stay.

Because his cousin was into him.

Luca tried to bury that awkward thought.

---

Fatigue clouded Luca's thoughts as his car pulled alongside the front of his house. Work had been worse than usual, and he was feeling completely burnt out. He hadn't had a single minute to so much as consider his cousin's situation.

He had remembered to put in his leave request, which had been met by irritation. However, he had enough paid time off accumulated that they couldn't exactly turn him down. Thank god he lived in a country with actual worker's rights.

Luca climbed out of the car and was yawning as he stumbled up the steps to the front of his house. He was so tired that he didn't notice the yelling until he had the door open and was pulling out the key. Two voices raised in angry chorus, screaming enough that both were cracking and going hoarse.

"You can't stay here! Luc might be decent, but no one is going to think it!"

"I'm not living with anyone else!"

Sophie sounded not just angry, but frustrated. "I'm not saying he's an asshole, bitch! If you stay here, everyone else will assume he's fucking with you!"

"I don't freaking care, trollop!"

"It's not just about you! Think for three seconds!" Sophie screeched, "Luc has his own life, too. He'd never fucking admit it, but it'll hurt. He'll be called all kinds of shit if you stay! I'm not saying you can't visit, but you can't fucking sleep here!"

"Just... Fuck off!" Alice's voice cracked, becoming a wail halfway through.

Luca closed his eyes and took a deep breath, before entering the kitchen, "I'm back."

The two women were standing either side of the table.

Alice was wearing the dress from the morning, but had also paired it with two tiny silver sleeper earrings - ears red from fresh piercings. Along with that, she had a simple chain, carrying a rough cut green piece of glass masquerading as an emerald. Her cheeks were a little red from yelling, but the streaks from her tears revealed a little makeup, too.

Sophie was bristling on the other side, hands planted on the table and a snarl fixed onto her face. At his announcement, his sister just glared at him and looked more frustrated.

Whereas Alice quickly wiped at her tears and smiled broadly, "Welcome home! I would have got dinner ready, but I didn't know when you'd be home. I'll make something quick. Would you like spaghetti or ravioli?"

"You shouldn't be doing this." Sophie rubbed her face, "You can't play the housewife."

"Be quiet." Alice snapped at her, already looking for a pot.

Luc swallowed nervously, "Why don't we order delivery? I wouldn't mind a pizza or something. Soph, you staying?"

"No, she is not!" Alice gave a growl, standing up and just about trembling with anger. Giving him the distinct impression that though his cousin might be timid at times, she was still part of the family. She could be pushed too far, and his sister had accomplished that.

Sophie sighed, gave him a brief glare, "This can't be longterm. And you know it, too, Luc. People will talk."

With that, she walked away.

"Seeya." He said quietly, sitting down at the table and dropping his exhausted head onto the hard surface. Instantly, Alice was at his side and on her knees, grabbing for one of his hands and squeezing it reassuringly.

He squeezed her hand back, "Sorry. Just tired. Sophie get you the jewellery? It looks good on you."

"She was... Nice." Alice whispered, "It... It wasn't all like... You just... Saw."

Luc yawned and gave her a brief smile, "Figured as much. If all day had been that, I'd probably be helping one of you bury the other, about now. So, moving away from the obvious, did you manage to have some lunch?"

"Not... Really." Alice whispered and poked at her stomach, "I'm not really... Used to... Three meals? Sophie said three was normal? I think I remember three a day. From before. But the memories are kinda foggy. My tummy is kinda... Small."

He squeezed her hand again and stood up, "I noticed. Just grabbing my laptop. Don't worry if you can't eat. I don't mind having leftover pizza in the fridge... Wait. Do you even like pizza? What about some curry or maybe... Bentos? Any preference?"

"Pizza, please." Alice grinned broadly, "I... I can remember having pizza parties. Always wanted one for my birthday."

Luca went and grabbed his laptop, when he got back, he found Alice pouring a fresh cup of coffee from the French press, her face screwed up in concentration despite how simple it was to use a plunger.

He waved with his head, "Loungeroom? Couch?"

"For you." She lifted up the mug, presenting it to him with both hands.

"Ta." Luc said, taking it and giving a small sip of the burning hot liquid. "Did well. Shall we?"

Alice followed him, and he noted how carefully she sat down beside him. Adjusting her dress, and tucking her hair. The enormous braid went along her opposite side, and she tucked her hands into her lap. Smiling nervously at him, cheeks still streaked from her tears.

"Soph means well. She's at least a little right. To most people, men and women can't both live together and be platonic friends."

"I don't want to be platonic friends." She whispered.

He sighed, "I know. But we're family."

"I... I hate it." Alice said, fiddling with her thumbs, "I... I understand everyone being scared. I have had someone in my heart and head, where they don't belong. But... I've always been this way. Once I've made up my mind, it doesn't change. I've never felt... I have never felt what I feel when I am with you, Luca. Even though you looked broken and frustrated when you walked in, it felt like warmth. Like lying down beside a fire in the winter. A mother's tender embrace. I don't know you, but I feel like I know your soul."

Luc shrugged, "Maybe... Maybe you could spend a few days here, and then... Then we find you a place of your own. When you're ready. You and I could still have dinner most nights, if we find you somewhere nearby. But then people won't gossip, and Soph won't have an excuse to yell."

"No. And I'm never talking about it again!" Alice said, voice quavering. "You'll have to throw me out. Break your promise and abandon me, like I deserve."

He reached out an arm and put it around her, "Okay. I won't bring it up, again. And you really, really, don't deserve to be abandoned."

Alice leaned into the hug, and swallowed, "I'm... Sorry. That I told you... Things... Last night. It wasn't fair."

"Better to know, and steer clear of temptations." Luc shrugged, holding onto her, "You do realise that I don't actually want you gone, right? Sure, there's a lot of complicated stuff, but you're sweet. And having someone else around is nice, too. Especially one who thinks I deserve spoiling."

Her shoulders squeezed in and he practically felt her smile, before she whispered, "A wife can't spoil a good husband. Because he deserves it."

"I'm never going to get you to agree I'm not good husband material, am I?" Luca chuckled, and pulled up the pizza site on the laptop. "So... Do you want a standard thing, or do you want to make your own?"

"That one!" Alice said excitedly, poking the screen roughly and making it briefly flare colours. Her cheeks flushed red in embarrassment at her response, "Um. P-please?"

"Your wish is my command." He added the Hawaiian to the cart, and selected a meatlovers for himself, before also getting them some soft drink and a couple of chocolate mousses.

Alice stared at him, "All that?"

"Not a huge amount. A bit more than the girl who had her meals taken off her for not being completely brainwashed is used to, but not a huge amount."

She fiddled with her braid, "People really eat this much?"

"Almost half of Australia is overweight. So yeah, we don't have a lack of food in most parts of the country." Luc shrugged and put aside the computer, "So... I didn't notice yesterday. Your ears weren't pierced. But Soph got you some sleepers. Was it your idea, or hers?"

"Are they... C-cute?" Alice asked anxiously.

He nodded, "Mmm."

She relaxed visibly, "My idea. Your sister had her ears pierced. I've always wanted ear rings, but Dad was... I don't want to talk about Dad. But I used to ask for it, every birthday. And now... I finally can. Can't I? I can have... Everything I wanted... But was told was... Evil."

"Allow me to be your devil, and negotiate your contract with hell. From here on out, may evil be in all our doings." Luc half-joked.

Alice giggled and smiled at him, "Oh... I hate the way you said that. So very much. But it was sweet."

"So... What great evil, does Alice still want? We going down a rabbit hole for this one?"

She screwed up her face, "Rabbit?"

"Uh... Alice in Wonderland?"

She shook her head.

"Right. Stupid me, expecting you might have had access to at least some culture." He sighed, "Don't worry about it. We'll get you to a library, eventually. So... Thoughts?"

"Actually... After the last couple days..." She bit the edge of her lip, "I... I want to... Do nothing? I know you took time off work and everything! It's selfish and -"

"The most reasonable thing you've suggested, thus far." Luc hugged her shoulder, "And you've been incredible."

A tear slipped down her cheek, and Alice whispered, "I love you."

"Alice..." Luca winced.

She sniffed and looked away from him, "I'm not hiding it."

"I wasn't... I'll just say it makes me uncomfortable, and never mention say anything, again." Luc replied and rubbed her back gently, "Still want to help my cousin do many evil deeds. Starting, tomorrow, with her sleeping in. I get to make you breakfast in bed, this time."

"No!" Alice spun around to face him with a terrified expression, "You can't!"

"Why not? I'll have you know I'm a decent cook. Better than Soph, at the least." Luca smiled at her.

Alice screwed up her face, "But... You're..."

"A guy?"

She nodded firmly.

Luc shrugged and crossed his arms playfully, "So? Is this taboo the kind to damn us both?"

"Luc!" Alice complained, looking far too concerned over something this small. Had he underestimated just how big the gender roles were to the cult?

He knew women were supposed to sit in their little boxes, but he had figured that a man had more leeway. Given undue authority, Luca had figured that he could step out from the given borders, and though she'd complain, she'd feel both conflicted, and unable to stop him.

Baby steps.

He wanted her to climb out from the box, but he didn't want Pandora's nightmares to come along with her. Keeping her in one piece was his highest priority. "... Too much?"

Alice winced, and then nodded.

"I really can't cook for you? I won't even refer to my pancakes as evil. Though... Do you have anything to do with pork? I like bacon pancakes, as a treat. But I won't do them if that makes you uncomfortable."

His cousin sighed heavily, "Well, yes, actually. I don't eat pork. This morning was hard. I don't mind if you have bacon but... I... I can't let you cook for me. Please. Just... I'm trying to pretend that the pizza will be cooked by a woman."

"Well, I do actually really like cooking. So I don't want to just give that up..." Luc said hesitantly, "Could we compromise? Cook together? I eat what you make, if you eat what I make?"

Her green eyes welled up.

He felt his will collapse, "Okay. I won't. I'll live with being treated by my beautiful cousin's cooking."

"I'm well aware that my cooking is... Awful." Alice shook her head, "You don't have to lie about that. I'm a terrible wife. But... I still want to try."

"I called you beautiful, not the cooking. Though I didn't actually get much of that before I had to run out, this morning. I don't really know if it's bad or not. Besides, Sophie was involved, and she's plain heinous." Luc replied.

Alice rolled her eyes, "`Bread should be baked in such a way that it will require and secure a full exercise in mastication.' Let's just go with... My teachers weren't interested in flavour. I... I want you to... Enjoy my cooking for more than just not having... Made it yourself... Sophie really never cooks for you? Ever? And not your mother, either?"

"Did... Did anyone in the cult actually enjoy life, or were they all just hoping to... You know?" Luca winced.

Alice shrugged, "At this point? It wouldn't really shock me if it ended up turning into a death cult. B-bastards. Can we... Not? I... I already hate my life, Luca. So much. Actual hate."

"Which is why we're throwing a pizza party." He agreed, "So... What goes best with pizza? Movies? I kinda figured that might be a bit much, too. Taking God's name in vain isn't considered swearing by the censors, so it might come as a shock. I'm hoping to do more than just silence, though."

She smiled weakly, "I did notice you and Sophie talk a lot whilst eating. It's... Not what... I'm used to."

"We can sit in silence if you want." Luc shrugged, "Not my preference. But... I don't know how you haven't completely fallen apart. I'm tired from work. How are you even awake?"

She blushed and shrugged.

Further pursuit of that topic was cut off by the door bell, and Alice instantly hitting the floor with her hands over her head. Luca winced and helped her back onto the lounge.

He headed out of the lounge and down the hallway, to the frontdoor. Luc gave a small yawn as he opened it to see not someone in a garish red uniform of the local pizza place, but two people dressed in suits.

He struggled to hide his panic as he instantly realised who they were, and tried to pretend it was surprise, "Eh... Can I help you?"

"We know she's here."

"Whatever you're selling, not interested." Luc tried to close the door. A foot jammed in the way, making the door vibrate as it clanged against it.

One of the men crossed his wrists, smiling charismatically, "We simply wish to make certain that all our members are kept safe, in this trying time. Alice is important to Father Thomas, like all of our members. If you do not wish to speak to us, that is... Understandable. Prejudiced, but understandable. However, when the Father comes, he will wish to see her for himself. To make certain she's safe."

"I... Do I look like a religious nut, to you guys?" Luca continued with feigned ignorance, "I haven't been in a church in years. I don't know who the fuck this Father guy is, but you've got the wrong place. Now... Politely, fuck off."

He tried to close the door, again.

A foot blocked the door, again.

"Step backwards." Luca instructed, "Or, under law, I am permitted to remove you. With force."

1...34567...12