Life after the Lottery Ch. 69

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We pulled up to the house and went in. I expected to see Dawn back, but she wasn't.

"She is not back yet," great-grandfather said, "But she is fine. I checked on her."

We ate dinner alter, and I told them about the research the genealogist did. Great-grandfather kept shaking his head yes, as I told him.

"You doubted me?" He said.

"Of course, not."

"You did!"

He asked Lieke all about Hawaii and her farm until it was about 9:00. While they were talking, I went outside. It had gotten cold and started raining. Now I was worried.

"Do not worry about her," great-grandmother said when she came outside.

"I have too."

"No, you don't. Come inside."

I went back in, and we all sat down.

"Great-grandmother, does this have anything to do with Dawn's powers getting stronger this year?" I asked.

"It does."

"How?"

"When someone like Dawn reaches an age where many decisions need to be made, it is best if they communicate with their ancestors and not try and make them on their own."

"She has been distracted a lot lately."

"Because she was trying to make her own decisions. Now, she will get her answers."

"What is she doing?"

"She is in the hills and caves talking to her ancestors."

"About what?"

"Only Dawn knows that."

"I think you know more than you are telling me, great-grandmother."

"It is her time. When she returns, all will be clear. It is a transition."

"A transition to what?"

"A Medicine Woman," great-grandfather said as he came in.

"I thought she was?"

"A True Medicine Woman," he said.

"Dawn's mother said she had to come and visit like this. What happened when she was here?"

"She had to make the journey for other reasons. She would not be a Medicine Woman, only Dawn."

"James...Dawn, and you, have been putting off some decisions. You two do not know this, but Dawn will discover it," great-grandmother said. "It is late for Dawn."

"To become a Medicine Woman?"

"No."

That seemed to end the conversation for now. The rest of the evening went by quietly until Lieke and I went to bed.

*****

Thursday, Lieke and I walked around the reservation and visited everyone. I was worried because of the weather, but everyone on the reservation kept saying Dawn was fine.

I had given up trying to get anything out of great-grandmother and great-grandfather.

*****

Friday morning, when we got up, I went outside. It was now colder and raining more, and the skies were gray.

"Great-grandmother, I am worried about Dawn in this weather."

"She is fine."

"It has gotten cold and wet."

"Not for her."

I finally went outside and looked toward the mountains. Great-grandfather came out later.

"She is okay. She is in the caves."

"Great-grandfather, how do you know that?"

"I checked on her this morning."

He said it like it was just something he did all the time.

I tried to call the girls in Hawaii but wasn't having any luck again. I figured they would call me when they could.

"Will she be back today?" I asked great-grandfather.

"Not today."

I went outside and found Lieke talking to some of the people.

"You want to go into town? I can't sit around here anymore?" I asked her.

"What if Dawn comes back?"

"He said not today."

"Okay."

I told them we were going into town for the day, and Lieke and I left for Ashville.

"James, everyone says she will be okay."

"I guess. She has told me about her spirit journeys when she was young, but I didn't know they lasted this long."

"I'm still not sure what she is doing?"

"She told me when she goes on these she can talk to her ancestors."

"About what?"

"That is what I am unsure about."

We stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch and had a good talk before we headed back out.

"Hey, there is a big mall down the road. You want to stop?"

"We can, but I don't want you buying me things."

"Let's just walk around for a while."

We pulled into the mall parking lot and walked to the mall. Lieke went in and out of many of the stores. She said there wasn't much like this on Maui.

"Don't you ever fly over to Honolulu?"

"Not very often. I don't like the city."

"I guess it would be hard to be around for you."

"I got about once a year."

Before we left, I had bought her some more clothes and T-shirts. We drove around until about 6:00 and stopped and had dinner before heading back to the reservation.

*****

"Did you two eat?" Great-grandmother asked when we walked back in about 8:00.

"We did and went shopping," Lieke told her.

"You needed to get out for a while," he said, meaning me.

There was a big fire going in the middle of the compound, so Lieke and I went and sat around and talked until about 10:00, then walked back to the house and went to bed.

******

Saturday morning, I was up early and outside. It was raining again and still cold. I went in later to a warm breakfast.

"Great-grandfather, I am getting worried."

"No need to worry."

"It is cold and raining."

"She is fine."

I wasn't going to get anywhere. Great-grandfather spent the morning showing Lieke around and introducing her to everyone. After we had lunch, Running Bear came by and talked to great-grandfather.

"Hello, James," Running Bear said.

"Hi, Running Bear."

"Do not worry about Ahyoka. She will be fine."

"It has been a week."

"She will be fine."

"Running Bear, can you prepare?" Great-grandfather asked.

"Yes."

He left.

"What is he preparing for?" I asked.

"Tall Holly Tree and your family."

He no sooner said that, and my phone rang. I looked, and it was Linda.

"Hi, Linda."

"Your two wives got in very early this morning and called me because they had not heard from you for a few days. What's up?"

"Dawn left to go on a Spirit Journey last Sunday."

"What is that?"

"She has gone up into the hills by herself to talk to her ancestors."

"In this weather?"

"Yes. I'm worried."

"Call the girls. We will be there in about an hour and a half," Linda said.

Linda hung up.

I called Amy and Samantha and explained things to them. They were worried too.

"I'm not sure when she will be back," I told Amy.

"Wait, sis is talking to Linda."

I waited for a minute.

"James, Linda is coming to get us. She said we would be there in an hour or so," Amy said.

"What?"

"Her new helicopter."

"Oh. Tell her I said thanks."

"Do we need to bring anything?"

"Clothes, like last time. Something warm."

"Okay. We will see you soon."

"Okay. We will talk about your trip then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

"They are coming?" Lieke asked.

"Special delivery."

Lieke and I talked to great-grandfather for a while but didn't learn anything else about Dawn's trip.

Running Bear came in about an hour later.

"I have cleared a place near the house," he said.

"They are coming, go meet them," great-grandfather said.

My phone rang, and it was Linda.

"Where can we land?" She asked.

"You remember the house?"

"Yes."

"Look for a clear spot near it and someone flagging you down."

"Okay. Bye."

We heard the helicopter coming. I walked outside with Lieke and great-grandfather. The new helicopter circled for a minute as Running Bear stood in a spot and waved. They came in slowly and landed.

"Nice ride," great-grandfather said.

Once the blades stopped, Linda and the girls got out and came to the house.

"Hello, Tall Holly Tree."

"Hi, great-grandfather." He hugged Linda.

"Small Warrior Cat, how are you?"

"I'm good."

He hugged Rachel and the girls.

"Holly Tree, tell your people to come inside."

Linda motion for her pilots to come while he hugged Amy and Samantha. We went in the house.

"Why are you worried," great-grandfather asked Linda.

"The girls wanted to be here."

"Very good. They will get to see the ceremony. Sit."

"When will she be back?" Linda asked.

"Tomorrow, or the next day. Depends."

Great-grandfather went outside.

"What is going on?" Linda asked.

"You know as much as I do. That is about all I have gotten," I said.

"Did Dawn take a tent?" Samantha asked.

"She had her leathers, her big knife, and some deerskins. He said he checks on her."

"But what is going on?" Amy asked.

"All I have gotten is that Dawn is asking questions for a transition. He did say she was transitioning to a True Medicine Woman. That is all I have gotten out of them."

When great-grandfather came back in, he said all the people were looking at the helicopter. He sat, and the girls talked about their trip for a few hours. About 4:00, Arthur and Jeanine came in after they had secured everything.

"Linda, we can fly to the airport and stay in town," Arthur said.

"You may stay here," great-grandfather said. "We will find you a place to sleep."

"Arthur, are you two finishing up your training?" I asked.

"We delivered the helicopter last week and are in town looking at houses. We are finishing up certification on the 550."

"I thought it would be a good check out ride," Linda said.

"It was!" Samantha exclaimed.

They talked about the flight for a while.

"You two, you were in the army?" Great-grandfather asked.

"Navy," Jeanine replied. "We were pilots."

"I will call you Flying Bear," he said to Arthur. "And you, Flying Panther."

Later, great-grandfather and great-grandmother went outside with Jeanine and Arthur.

"Linda, have you talked to Arthur and Jeanine?"

"About what?"

"About everything. I plan on fucking you and Rachel in the back of the helicopter so you two can be in the mile-high club."

"I haven't talked to them about that yet!" Rachel laughed.

"I already have your pins, but you have to earn them," I said.

"That will have to wait!" Linda exclaimed.

"I think we better wait to talk to them about that," Rachel said.

"Great-grandmother came back in a bit later."

"We found a place for your pilots to sleep," she said. "I need to work on you two," she said to Linda and Rachel.

She went on to the kitchen to start dinner. Great-grandfather came in about 5:00.

"Tall Hollow Tree, Running Bear said you two could sleep at his place," great-grandfather said.

"That will be fine." Great-grandfather smiled at Linda and walked off.

"What was that smile about?"

"Who knows."

*****

When I went outside early Sunday morning, it had stopped raining but was still cold. I could see snow on the mountain tops.

Arthur and Jeanine joined us for breakfast, but Linda and Rachel didn't. After that, they spent several hours taking some of the people on rides. About noon, they flew off to the airport with some people so they could refuel.

Linda and Rachel came in about 1:30 while they were landing the helicopter.

"We have only seen those fly over with tourists," great-grandmother said as she fed all of us.

"Great-grandfather, you should let them fly you over so you can see everything from up high," Linda said.

"But, I have seen everything from up high?"

Linda started to say something but didn't.

"Tall Holly Tree, you and Small Warrior Cat, should talk to great-grandmother about your concerns," he said.

"I guess Dawn will be okay," Linda said.

"Your other concerns. You should talk to her before you talk to Dawn," he said as he looked at Linda.

Linda looked at him a little stunned, but like she understood what he meant.

After we had eaten, I was back outside, looking and waiting. It was about 40 degrees, and I was very worried.

"She will be okay," Samantha said, walking up to me.

"I hope so."

"She will...I feel it."

"Don't you start with that!" I teased Samantha and kissed her.

"What do you think great-grandfather meant when he told Linda to talk to great-grandmother?"

"Who knows," I replied.

Samantha went back in a few minutes later, then Linda came out.

"Did you have breakfast with Running Bear?"

"Oh, my god, James. He fucked us all night then again this morning for two hours."

"Tramp."

"I couldn't believe it."

"I'm sure you two are good friends now."

"I guess!" Linda said and laughed.

I teased Linda and Rachel all day. I saw Linda talking to great-grandfather and laughing. Amy and Samantha were trying to comfort me about Dawn still being gone, but I knew they were worried also.

Great-grandfather, when do you think Dawn will be back?" I asked as we ate dinner.

"Maybe tomorrow. Maybe the next day. She is fine."

I was standing on the porch after we finished eating, and Linda came out.

"I think she is okay. Great-grandmother said she was doing what she needed to do," Linda said.

"I am sure she is, but I wish I knew what it is she is needing to do."

"She will be fine. Come back in. It is cold out here."

"I know..."

I went back inside with Linda.

Rachel and Linda talked to great-grandmother the rest of the evening. I went to bed with all the girls about 10:00. Linda and Rachel went back to Running Bear's house.

*****

Monday morning, I woke up because someone was shaking me. I looked up, and it was great-grandfather.

"Come."

I slipped on some jeans and grabbed a shirt, and followed him outside. The sun was just starting to come up. He stopped and stood on the porch and looked toward the hills. About the time the sun broke the horizon, I could see Dawn walking toward us. I ran to her and grabbed her.

"I was so worried."

"I was fine."

We walked to the house. Dawn hugged her great-grandfather.

"Welcome home, Adanvdo Nnvwati Agehya."

Dawn hugged him again for a minute.

"Let's go inside," Dawn said.

Great-grandmother was waiting when we went inside. She said several things to Dawn in Cherokee, and Dawn answered in Cherokee. Her great-grandmother smiled and hugged her.

"Why did Linda come?" Dawn asked.

"She brought the girls Saturday morning. They were worried about you."

"I'm glad they are here. Great-grandfather, I brought you many rabbit pelts."

"Thank you."

"Let me wake everyone up," I said.

I went and woke up the girls and told them Dawn was back. Then I woke up Linda and Rachel.

They all wanted to ask Dawn questions as we ate breakfast, but Dawn's answers were cryptic. She kept saying she would explain everything later.

"Ahyoka, you need to get some rest for your ceremony," great-grandmother told her.

"Good idea."

I followed Dawn to the bedroom, and she took off her leathers and got in bed.

"Are you okay?"

"A little tired. I'll be okay after a little sleep."

I left Dawn to sleep.

"Great-grandmother, what did you say to Dawn?"

"She will tell you."

I was getting frustrated.

"Tall Warrior, did you bring your leathers?" Great-grandfather asked.

"I think Dawn packed them."

"You will need them this evening. We have outfits for the rest of you like last time."

"What is the ceremony for?" I asked.

"Her transition to a True Medicine Woman."

"It is a very high honor," great-grandmother said.

Everything was busy the rest of the morning as people prepared.

Dawn joined us about noon for lunch.

"Little one, you need to prepare," great-grandmother said after all of us had eaten.

Dawn went with her. People had been coming and going all day as they prepared for the ceremony. Arthur and Jeanine found everything fascinating as they followed people around outside.

A few hours later, Dawn came in later wearing a cotton tunic, freshly bathed and prepared. All her long black hair was shinning.

A little later, one of the older women in the tribe came in carrying a new leather bag. Great-grandmother took the bag.

"Come, little one."

Dawn followed her into the bedroom.

"I take it this is a big deal for Dawn," Linda said.

"Tonight, she becomes a tribal medicine woman. The ceremony is an old and important one," great-grandfather said.

"Great-grandfather, who will replace you?" I asked.

"There are a few, but none as true as Ahyoka. I have given her all my wisdom. Now, she will become the teacher."

When Dawn came out of the bedroom, she looked fabulous. She had on a new set of white ceremonial leathers covered in fringe and beads, and new jewelry and adornments.

"Wow!" Amy said.

"You look wonderful," I told her and stood and hugged her. Dawn held me tight for a minute.

"I need to go and prepare. I will see you at the ceremony," Dawn said.

She and great-grandmother left. The sun was setting, and there had been a lot of activity all day.

"Great-grandfather, may my pilots attend?" Linda asked.

"All of you are Cherokee. You can attend. They may attend also."

*****

Once the sun set, we all walked to where the ceremony was going to take place. They had a large fire going, and everyone was gathered around singing. We joined them and feasted on all the food they had prepared. About an hour later, great-grandfather had everyone sit. He talked in Cherokee for a while.

"Tonight, we celebrate the transition of Beautiful Morning Dawn Ahyoka to the place of our tribal Medicine Woman. She has spent many years learning all I have to teach her and learning from our ancestors. She will prepare to take my place as I pass on one day. Tonight, she becomes a true Spirit Medicine Woman."

Everyone yelled and hollered. Great-grandfather escorted Dawn from a large tent that had been erected, and the yelling and celebration continued for some time as she stood. By the firelight, she looked very regal. Once everything calmed down, great-grandfather removed a small amulet from around his neck and placed it over Dawn's head, and then there was more celebration. He then produced a medicine bag and gave it to Dawn.

Someone handed him a beaded choker, and he put it on Dawn, then they fastened several Eagle fathers to her headband, so they hung down with her hair. Then he spread some colored paint on Dawn's face.

"Tribe! Meet your new Medicine Woman!" Great-grandfather yelled.

Everyone began to holler and stood and started dancing. We all stood and watched as others went to Dawn and gave her gifts of hides, feathers, food, and other items. This went on for a long time until Dawn raised her hand, and everyone became quiet.

Dawn began talking in Cherokee and continued for a while.

"She is blessing the tribe," great-grandmother told us.

Dawn continued to talk and gesture. She then lit a smoking bundle and moved among everyone for a while. She came to me last and blessed us. The celebration started again. It went on until late at night. Then as suddenly as it started, it broke up.

Dawn walked up to me finally.

"Husband, I shall spend the night in the tent meditating. You and my wives can go now."

Dawn turned and went into the tent. I gathered up the girls, and we all went back to the house. When great-grandfather returned, he took me aside, and we sat.

"Tall Warrior, Ahyoka will begin the next part of her life tomorrow. She is now the honored tribal Medicine Woman. Even though she does not live here, she will have duties to the tribe and will visit often. Your duties are to support her in all things, and to honor her as the tribal Medicine Woman."

"I understand."

"There are changes coming for you and her and all of your family. You must support your family in what is to come."

"What is to come?"

"That is for Ahyoka to tell you when the time is right. I ask that you be prepared for what is to be."

"I will."

"It will be much change, Tall Warrior. Your position as husband is an important one. I hope you understand that."

"I do. I know Dawn is happy."

"She has prepared all her life for this."

"I know it is a huge honor for her, and she will accept it wisely."

"She is very wise."

"Great-grandfather, who will she teach?"

"That is to be seen. James...I know you will support Ahyoka in her decisions. Now it is time for you to sleep and rest."

I went into one room and checked on Linda and Rachel.