Life after the Lottery Ch. 83

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It is a Cherokee tradition," Enolia told her. Then she held her hands up and chanted for several minutes as they took care of things.

They handed the baby back to Amy, now wrapped in the small Cherokee blanket. Enolia moved next to her and put her hand on the baby for a minute. Dr. Emma and the nurse were watching.

"This one will be like her mother...very wise, very wise indeed," Enolia said. "A wise leader...and healer...yes."

"Amy, can I go check on Rachel?" I asked.

"Yes!"

"James, take this," Enolia said and handed me another wrap.

I hurried down the hall, and they changed out my gown and things. The nurse took the wrap. Rachel was screaming when I went into the delivery room.

"You did this to me!!" Rachel yelled when she saw me.

I walked to her, took her hand, and tried what I had done with Amy. Rachel took a deep breath.

"Emmmm, keep holding my hand, James. It makes me feel better."

"No problem."

I held her hand until it was time for her to push. When she would cry out, she would crush my hand with hers. Her doctor kept telling her to push. Her delivery took longer than Amy's.

"Rachel! You have a healthy little girl!" The doctor said.

Her baby had her dark hair and looked perfect. They cleaned the baby up and wrapped her in the small blanket I gave them, then let Rachel hold her. She was all smiles.

"A little girl, James!" Rachel exclaimed.

"Now I have two!"

"Did Amy have a girl?"

"A perfect little redhead like her mother! That blanket is a Cherokee tradition and was made for you by the ladies on the reservation."

"It is very pretty."

Once they were ready to take Rachel to her room, I went and found Linda and told her, then ran back to Amy. They had taken her to her room and the baby to the nursery. I helped Claire get her settled. I found Dawn and Samantha sitting in Samantha's room with Enolia and Ann.

I whispered in Dawn's ear.

"She had the girl."

"I know..."

"Uhhh...I think I may be starting..." Samantha said as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Enolia went to her, and put her hand on her belly, and said something in Cherokee.

"Oh, you are, honey! The baby said it is ready, and it is Spirited!"

"I'll tell the doctor," Ann said.

"I'll find her," I told them.

I looked at my new watch as I left her room. It was 1:45.

*****

An hour later, I was holding Samantha's hand. She seemed to be having an easier time of it. Dr. Emma was amazed.

"Sam? How is the pain?" Dr. Emma asked.

"I can handle it."

"You are doing well. Very well. I am going to get ready. I would say 20 minutes."

I went and got Claire. Once Samantha's contractions were about four minutes apart, they took her to the delivery room. Enolia and I followed, and they put us in gowns again, and we went in. I went to Samantha and held her hand.

"Sam, you are doing great!" Dr. Emma told her. "Get ready to push again."

Dr. Emma talked her through pushing for a bit.

"Sam...you are doing great. One more time!"

Sam cried out and pushed.

"Well, well, Samantha! One more redheaded little girl for the clan!" The doctor exclaimed. "James! It seems you are only firing X chromosomes so far!"

"That's fine with me!"

Enolia handed the wrap to the nurse after the baby was cleaned up. They wrapped her in it and then handed her to Samantha as Enolia chanted again.

"She is beautiful like her mother," I said as I looked.

"Yes, she is," Enolia added as she placed her hand on the baby for a minute. Dr. Emma and the nurse just watched again.

"This one is full of the Cherokee Spirit. She will be very Spirited...and a leader! Just like her mother!"

"I don't know if I can handle another one like her mom!" I said and laughed.

Enolia chanted more as they got everyone cleaned up.

*****

Amy and Samantha were finally resting in their rooms. Dawn had gone to hers to lie down. I told Samantha I was going to check on Rachel, and Enolia followed me. Linda was in Rachel's room when we went in.

"How are we doing?" Enolia asked.

"Doing great!" Rachel announced.

Enolia walked to her and put her hand on the baby as Linda watched. She closed her eyes for a minute.

"This one will be like her mother. She will have her mother's protective instincts. She will be the protector of the clan. Just as we were told..."

Linda looked at Enolia funny.

"Enolia...how do you know that?" Linda asked.

"I have known since the beginning. I just needed to make sure she accepted her position. She will be a stronger protector...and wise in her ways. A strong fighter like her mother. Wise in the white man's law."

"Do you know what will happen like Dawn does?" Rachel asked.

"Of course, honey. It has all been known for a long time."

Enolia smiled, then left the room.

"What does that mean?" Linda asked.

"There are things I learned when I picked her up on the reservation. Let's wait until things settle down. I'll try and explain as best I can."

"Interesting lady," Rachel said.

"And your baby's Great-grandmother," I reminded her. "I better go back and check on Dawn."

I went and stayed with Dawn. It was right at 5:00. Kelly was in her room checking on her.

"Oh!"

"Is it time?" Enolia asked.

"It will be soon! I have an hour or so."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Did you bring your money!"

"Okay! Do you want me to get the doctor?"

"Let her finish her dinner."

"Don't wait too long," my mom said.

Enolia placed her hand on Dawn's belly for a few minutes.

"It is that time. This will be a very special time for all," she said. Dawn winked at her. "So much to come. So much to change. So special."

Ann and my mom comforted Dawn for a while as Enolia sat and smiled.

*****

Dr. Emma came in just before 6:00. Dawn's contractions were about four minutes apart.

"Right on time!" Dr. Emma said. "According to your plan, Dawn!"

"Told you!" Dawn exclaimed. "You better go tell them I have about 15 minutes."

"I'll go and get everything ready!" Her doctor said and left.

"I think she believes you now," I said.

A nurse came in to get Dawn ready.

"Debbie, I thought your shift was over?" Dawn asked.

"Oh, no! I am staying for this show! Babies and surprises everywhere!"

"Kelly told you, didn't she!" Dawn exclaimed and laughed.

"Yes! You'll have to tell me about that weekend!"

"It wasn't like that! It was all planned!"

"I still want to know!" They laughed.

The nurse disconnected the monitors. As they moved Dawn to the delivery room, I was putting on another gown and mask with Enolia.

"Are you ready, James?" Enolia asked.

"I sure hope so!"

"Good for you! This will be very special for all of us."

"I hope you are ready to explain all this, Grandmother!"

We went into the delivery room. Dr. Emma was checking all the monitors and feeling Dawn's stomach.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes!" Dawn exclaimed.

Dr. Emma kept checking things. More than she had with Amy or Samantha. Dawn's contractions were finally on top of each other as I held her hand. I could feel all her incredible energy without trying.

"You are just about there," her doctor said.

"Good!"

Enolia walked to the bed and put her hand on Dawn's stomach as they all watched. She said things in Cherokee for about a minute.

"It is time," Enolia said and stepped back.

Dr. Emma got ready and talked Dawn through pushing for a bit. Dawn was not crying out in pain, just pushing. Then the baby came out.

"Dawn! You have a healthy baby girl! And from the long black hair, I would say she will look just like you!"

I looked at the baby, and it had a head full of black hair and Dawn's darker skin. Enolia handed the wrap to the nurse as she moved the baby to the holding table.

"Oh, well! Four girls!" I exclaimed.

"Don't go anywhere yet, James!" Dr. Emma exclaimed. I heard Enolia giggle.

Dr. Emma got back between Dawn's legs.

"Whhhyyyyy..."

"You'll see! Dawn, keep pushing!"

Dawn groaned through more pushing.

"And now you have a very healthy baby boy! Finally, James!"

"A boy...oh boy."

"Surprise honey..." Dawn got out.

"Twins?"

"Yep. Unless there is one more in there!" Dawn exclaimed.

"Are there any more in there?!"

"No!" The doctor said and laughed.

"Twins?" I asked Dawn.

"Surprise!"

"Oh my. Five babies."

"The night is young. Five counting Rachel's right now," Dawn said.

"Six babies with Linda's. I'm glad we settled on the daycare idea!"

"I couldn't tell you!"

"This is a pleasant surprise, honey!"

"I thought you would like it."

They cleaned up babies and wrapped them up as Grandmother chanted. They handed one to me and one to Dawn for a few minutes. Enolia moved around and put her hand on each for a minute.

"The Spirits have truly blessed us!" Enolia said. "They will be very special to all of us and the tribe. A very special birth indeed! Very special twins indeed!"

Enolia continued to chant.

After a bit, they took the babies to the nursery.

"Are you happy, James!" Enolia asked.

"Yes, I am!"

"Very good! Very good! So very good!"

They finished with Dawn and cleaned her up as I stood by and waited. Dr. Emma came to me.

"James? The Grandmother sure made a big fuss over the twins."

"Dr. Emma...you do not understand who Dawn is. She will be the tribe's Spiritual leader when her Great-grandparents are gone. The twins will be the future Spiritual leaders of the tribe after Dawn. This has already been determined by the Spirits...as I have been told. Dawn knew before all the babies were even conceived how many boys and girls we would have. She also knew the twins would be special. She just didn't tell any of us!" I laughed nervously.

"And the Grandmother knows all this?"

"Or course."

"You all are going to need to explain all this to me soon."

"Just come by the house."

"Hey, Dr. Smith?" A nurse said from the door. I turned to look. "Ms. Williams is about to deliver. She said to get you if you were available."

"Go, honey," Dawn said.

"I'll bring the blankets," Enolia said.

I hurried out and followed the nurse down to the delivery room, put on another gown and mask, and went in.

"Ahhhh!!" Came from Linda as I walked up and held her hand. "You did this to me!!"

"Too late now!"

I watched as they went through the same things I had seen already. I waited for her to deliver a little boy. They were checking everything as Linda cried out. She was crying out as the doctor told her to push.

"You have a very healthy blonde-headed little girl, Linda!" Her doctor exclaimed.

"Oh my!" Came from Linda. "Let me hold her."

"A girl?" I said.

"Yes, a pretty little girl," her doctor said.

"I thought it was a boy..."

"Hang on!"

They took the baby from the doctor and worked on it. The nurse had gotten a wrap from Enolia.

"Ahhhh!!" Came from Linda. "What?!!"

"Hang on, Linda! You have one more!"

"What!!"

"You didn't want me to tell you!"

Linda went through pushing again. I knew she was going to kill Dawn for not telling her. She cried out for a minute or two.

I watched as the doctor pulled the baby out.

"And here is your boy!"

"Twins...again..." I said.

"What?!" Came from Linda as she looked up at me.

"Dawn had twins...too. A boy and a girl...too..."

"You're kidding! I'll get her for this!!"

After they cleaned the babies up and wrapped them in their wraps, Linda held the babies with the nurse's help. One of the nurses had gotten the other wrap and blanket from Enolia.

"Are you happy it's twins?" I asked.

"Yes, I am. This is so very special...and a surprise! Did you know about Dawn's twins?"

"No!"

Now I knew why there were extra wraps and blankets.

I held one baby as they finished with Linda. Once they were ready to take Linda to her room, I told her I would tell Rachel and left. I went to Rachel's room and told her about the twins and Dawn's. She couldn't believe it. After that, I went to Dawn's room and just looked at her.

"Surprise!" She said.

"Dawn...honey...Linda and I are going to kill you..."

"Hey! I didn't do it!"

"Oh, I bet you did!"

Dawn smiled at me.

"So good!" Enolia said. "So special! So very special!"

"Aren't you happy?" Dawn asked.

"Of course, honey! Linda and Rachel are, too. Surprised and happy."

"The Spirits truly blessed us," Dawn said.

"Yes, they have!" Enolia exclaimed and started singing in Cherokee.

"I still think you had something to do with it."

"The Spirits made this decision."

"And you knew all along?" I asked.

"Yes. Even before."

I held Dawn's hand for a bit.

"I am going to tell Amy and Samantha about the twins now."

I walked to Amy's room and told her.

"What?!" Amy exclaimed when I told her Dawn and Linda had twins.

After that, I went to Samantha's room and told her everything.

"What?!" Came from Samantha when I told her. "We have...seven babies?"

"Yep."

"So that was what I was feeling," Samantha said and laughed. "I guess Dawn did keep a lot from us!"

"Linda is shocked...but happy," I said. "Rachel thinks it's funny."

"And we have three girls and a boy! Plus, two more girls and a boy! Two more, and we can have a baseball team!"

"Don't get any ideas!"

"Maybe Olivia will have twins!"

"Don't say that around Sam. They are still discussing it."

I went from room to room for a while. Our parents were very happy and checking on everyone. Later, I was in Amy's room.

"My mom is so happy," Amy told me.

"I am sure she is. She has two Grandchildren now."

"It's more than that...but that is part of it. She really has four."

Amy was happy as we talked, but she was tired. I left and went back to Dawn's room for a bit.

"Enolia, you want to go and see Linda's babies? It's crowded in here."

"Of course."

We walked down the hall to Linda's rooms. She was holding both babies with some help from the nurse. Enolia walked to one side of the bed, put her hand on our baby boy, and closed her eyes for a minute.

"Yes...you will. Your strong boy will be the organizer and the leader of this clan. He will be the one to see all and know all and put it all together. He will guide, protect, and lead..." Enolia said.

"Put all of what together?" Linda asked.

"Many things," Enolia said as she walked around the bed to the other side.

She put her hand on our baby girl and closed her eyes. A minute later, she smiled.

"This little one will be just like her mother. All-knowing and all-powerful. She will see all...like her mother...and learn all from her mother. Very wise and strong. The provider of opportunities and guidance for all."

Enolia sang for a few minutes.

"Have you decided on names yet?" I asked.

"Sort of...but I thought we were waiting on their Cherokee names?" Linda said.

"Is that something you two want to do? Our four will have Cherokee names because it is tradition."

"Oh? I thought our children would have one, too?" Linda asked and looked disappointed.

"Tall Holly Tree...is this something you and your wife desire?" Enolia asked.

"Maybe you should tell us? I get the feeling these three are going to be a part of something for the Cherokee?"

"Why would you say that?" Enolia asked. I saw her smile.

"Well, their father is of Cherokee blood...and...I just feel all of our children will be something special."

"Oh, they will! If you and your wife desire a Cherokee name for your Cherokee children, I can do that. You two are of Cherokee Spirit from many generations back."

"I know Rachel does, too. We have much to thank the tribe for."

"Then we will be naming all the children later. You two need to be there," Enolia said.

"We will!"

Enolia left the room singing again.

"James? Is this something we should do?"

"If you and Rachel have decided to do it, it would honor all of us."

"When are you going to name yours?"

"Soon. I'll find out."

"Okay. Let us know."

I went back to Dawn's room and told her what Linda and Rachel wanted to do. She was very happy.

*****

Later, I was in the room with Dawn and the twins when Samantha and Amy were wheeled in, holding their babies.

"We are going to get Ms. Williams and Ms. Miller," the nurse said.

Everyone was gathering and looking at the babies when they wheeled in Linda and Rachel with the babies.

"I think we are all here!" Dawn exclaimed. "Linda and Rachel...you honor all of us by doing this."

"We think it is appropriate," Linda said.

The room was filled with everyone.

"Everyone...we need names for the birth certificates?" Nurse Kelly said as she held a clipboard.

"Mother? Grandmother?" Dawn asked.

Enolia stood and moved to the bed. Dawn was holding our little girl, and I was holding our boy. Ann stood with Enolia. Claire was standing next to Amy and Samantha, all smiles.

"What names have you chosen, Ahyoka and Tall Warrior?" Enolia asked.

"For our girl, her middle name will be Annabelle, after my mom," Dawn said and looked up at Ann and Enolia.

"When we left to come here...I looked up and saw the beautiful Winter sky and thought how important this season will be. Ann and I decided her name will be Gola, for Beautiful Winter Sky," Enolia said.

"They won't put all that on the birth certificate," the nurse said.

"Winter Gola Annabelle Smith," Dawn said. "But her Cherokee name will be Beautiful Winter Sky Gola Annabelle Smith."

"Spell it for me, Dawn," the nurse said.

Dawn spelled it all out as the nurse wrote all four names down.

"Okay. All four names, then?" The nurse asked.

"Yes, all four names," Dawn replied. "I think calling her Winter will be perfect."

"I do, too," I said.

"And for your son?" Enolia asked.

"His middle name will be James, like his dad," Dawn said.

"Then his Cherokee name can only be Chaske," Enolia said.

"First Born Son," Dawn said. "Chaske James Smith. Perfect."

She spelled it as the nurse wrote it down.

"Chaske will be the strong protector and guide for all of his siblings. All six of them. He will make sure they are always safe and healthy...and on course," Enolia said.

"Grandmother?" Amy asked.

Enolia moved to Amy and put her hand on the baby.

"Mother..." Claire smiled at Amy and put her hand on her shoulder.

"You honor me by calling me Grandmother. Now her blood Grandmother is here also. I hope these two call me Great-grandmother one day. Since you are of the Cherokee, and so is her father, she will have a proper Cherokee name if that is what you desire," Enolia asked Amy as Clarie stood with her.

"We want our children to have their Cherokee name," Amy said.

"What name have you chosen, little one?"

"Lily, after my Grandmother," Amy said.

"Did your Grandmother have your fiery hair?" Enolia asked.

"Oh, yes!" Claire said. "Just like mine and hers!"

"If you are going to name her after your Grandmother, then Atsila for Fire. The fire in her hair and Spirit!" Enolia said with a big smile. "She will have the fiery and wise Spirit of her Mother, her Grandmother, and her Great-grandmother. I feel it from all of you!"

"Fire Atsila Lily Smith," Amy said.

"You want all four names on the birth certificate, too?" The nurse asked.

"Yes. They can do that," Amy said. "I like Atsila."

"I like Fire!" I said. "If she is like her mother!"

"It will fit her!" Enolia exclaimed and laughed. "Yes! It will fit her!"

The nurse wrote it all down as Enolia moved to Samantha.

"Young one, what name have you chosen for your Spirited girl?" Enolia asked.

"Chloe," Samantha replied. "It's Irish and my mom's middle name."

"Oh, honey..." Claire said.

Enolia placed her hand on the baby, closed her eyes for a minute, and smiled.

"We should have saved Fire for this one! Like her Mother, her Grandmother, and her Great-grandmother...she too will be fiery!" Enolia was quiet for a moment. "But...this one will be very Spirited and a vocal leader...and a healer!" She said. "Much like her mother!"

1...45678...10