Life on Another Planet Ch. 23-27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know what you mean. I'm lousy at doing nothing too. I was going to make some soup and a sandwich. Would you join me please?" he said.

She nodded. "Thank you."

They exchanged small talk as Jesse took out the fixings for the sandwich and prepared the package of dried soup for the stove. He was pleased that she seemed so relaxed and at ease with him once more. Was this another turning point in their relationship? He hoped so.

Kirsten was relaxed and comfortable with Jesse. She had made a decision some time ago that she wanted to restore the close friendship they once shared. She felt guilty that she had ignored him while she tried to deal with his revelation of the strange situation that brought him so far forward into the future. She still could not quite believe it, but when Eve confirmed she believed it as the truth, she had to accept it as so.

Eve had assured her that there was nothing about Jesse that was dangerous, but that he had suffered a very traumatic change in his life over which he had no control. It had taken some time for Kirsten to come to terms with that belief, but now ... with his so obviously genuine concern over her health, she realized her fears were unfounded. He was still Jesse, and he was still a very nice young man; the same young man she had developed strong feelings for.

"I was thinking of going out this afternoon since the weather has broken," Jesse said as they ate their lunch. "Would you like to take a walk with me to Granville Island? We can take the little ferry and wander around the market and shops."

"That would be nice," she smiled. "Thank you. I think I can use a little exercise now."

The two of them cleaned up the dishes and Kirsten went to her apartment to get a jacket while Jesse waited in the hall. They didn't have long to wait for the next shuttle ferry to arrive, and the three-minute ride across the inlet to the island was a pleasant diversion. Together, hand-in-hand, they strolled around the island and the market.

They were gazing as some oil paintings in an art shop when they heard a familiar voice.

"Thinking of adding some artwork to the apartment, Jesse?"

It was Eve, and by her side was Kent, her now ever-present boyfriend.

"Hi ... we were just admiring the work," Jesse said. "Kent, you haven't met Kirsten Gustafson. Kirsten, this is Kent Younger, Eve's friend."

They exchanged greetings as Jesse noticed Kent carrying some bags. It looked like groceries and perhaps some dry goods as well.

"Doing your weekend shopping, Eve?" Jesse asked.

"Yes. I used to hate shopping until I moved here. I really enjoy Sunday on the island. I'm so glad the weather improved."

"This is like Sweden," Kirsten said. "Everyone comes out to shop on market day. It is a tradition. I remember being with Mama and Papa when they shopped. I used to love going with them."

"Well, times change," Eve suggested. "Mica doesn't want anything to do with shopping unless it's something for him, preferably not clothes," she chortled.

"I've seen lots of children here today," Kent said. "It really does look like family day here."

"Well," Eve said, looking at him, "if you invited Mica along, that might persuade him," she smiled, taking his arm. "Mica holds Kent as his hero since he and Tony Birani had their helicopter ride.

"We saw Mrs. Coultard a few minutes ago," Eve added. "She was in the market, shopping for a few things. I think she came by taxi. She had her little cart to carry her things in. She asked after you, Jesse. She's very fond of you."

Jesse was slightly embarrassed, but inwardly warmed that his neighbour and he had developed a close friendship. He had appointed her his adopted grandmother, unknown to the elderly lady of course.

"She's a very nice lady and it's a pleasure to help her when I can," Jesse said.

He failed to see the look of admiration Kirsten gave him. He kept demonstrating to her that he was a truly nice guy. There was nothing phoney about him at all.

Eve and Kent saw the look Kirsten gave Jesse. Eve felt Kent's hand gently squeeze her arm in recognition. There was little doubt in their minds about how Kirsten felt toward Jesse. Eve was delighted that the two seemed to have reconciled ... again. After their false start last fall, it had been six months since April and Jesse's confession. Eve hoped that perhaps now, with Jesse's life somewhat in order, and Kirsten over her concerns about his past, they could have a more lasting relationship.

The two couples separated and went on their way. Kirsten was now much closer to Jesse as they walked around the island, stopping at various locations to view shops or galleries. Jesse couldn't remember Kirsten being quite this affectionate. She was in constant contact with his arm, often with her arm around his waist while his was around her shoulders. He was imagining he could feel the heat she was emanating. He felt himself getting aroused as she continued to keep him close.

"Would you like a soft drink ... or something?" he asked as they approached a little café tucked into an industrial looking building.

"Yes, thank you," she smiled at him.

He led her into the small store-front place and discovered that they also featured a wide variety of home made ice cream.

"Oh, look at this, Kirsten. You have to try something from here," he said enthusiastically.

She laughed. "You are only looking for an excuse to have something for yourself."

"That's true, but tell me you can resist trying one of these amazing flavours."

"Okay ... a small cone will be enough for me," she claimed, staring at the selection, her smile still pasted on her face.

Kirsten chose a single scoop raspberry-mango flavour, while Jesse decided on a two scoop caramel and pecan variety. They forgot all about the sodas and walked back out onto the sidewalk, continuing on in their exploration of the east end of the island.

The sun had warmed the afternoon and the two walked comfortably together toward the hotel at the end of the development.

"My sister stayed there when she visited the other day. I had an interesting meeting with her," Jesse said.

"I did not know she was here. How long did she stay?" Kirsten wondered.

"Only for a day. She wanted to talk to me about something. I want you to know about it too. Let's go into the lobby and I'll tell you about it."

Curious, she followed him into the hotel, wondering if this was another dark secret.

"Is this another secret, Jesse?" she asked as the waitress left after having ascertained they were of age.

"Not really ... well ... perhaps," he smiled. "I wouldn't want everyone to know about this."

He could see she was nervously waiting to hear what this was all about and he wasn't going to prolong that wait any longer.

"Roberta came here to give me some papers. When my mother died, Roberta was the sole surviving heir to the family estate. She inherited everything. After she learned that I was alive again ... now in this form," he said awkwardly, pointing at himself, "she made a decision to give me half of the estate. If I had been alive, I would have received it anyway, so she felt I was entitled to it.

"The estate was much larger than I ever imagined. My father had quite a few shares in Weyburn Electric, and when it was bought by an American company, he came into quite a lot of money. In addition, they kept him on as Vice President in charge of operations for the Canadian group. They paid him very well according to Roberta. So ... that meant that when mother passed, Roberta was very well off, not that she needed the money. She was quite wealthy in her own right, thanks to her first husband.

"Anyway, as I said, Roberta decided that I was still entitled to half our parents' estate, so she came to see me about transferring the stocks, bonds and cash to me."

Kirsten had an unmistakeable look of shock about her. Jesse smiled at her reaction.

"You are now in the presence of a nineteen-year-old millionaire," he said, almost chuckling as he did so.

"What!?" she reacted, her hand over her mouth as she almost shouted in surprise. "A millionaire? You? Truly?"

"It's true. I won't tell you exactly how much unless you marry me, but it's going to make my future a lot easier to plan," he said with a satisfied smile.

It took Kirsten more than a moment to register exactly what he had implied a few seconds earlier.

"What did you mean ... 'unless you marry me,'" she said, confused.

"Exactly that. A wife is entitled to know all her husband's financial affairs, don't you think?" he grinned.

"Oh ... yes ... I suppose so," she said, seemingly still having difficulty absorbing what Jesse was telling her.

"I've taken you by surprise, haven't I," Jesse said, a smile still evident.

"Yes ... you have. Is it not good news?" she said, wanting Jesse to confirm that it was all true.

"It certainly is. I'm already dreaming about my own apartment ... and a car ... and planning my future. So much has changed in such a short time. I'm trying to calm myself down so that I don't do something recklessly. I have to think about things before I do them. Do you understand?"

"Yes, of course. It is a lot of money. You will have to be careful," she said, not yet in a celebratory mood.

"You're having trouble with this, aren't you," Jesse stated as he saw her reaction ... or lack of reaction.

"Why are you telling me this?" she asked after a pause.

"Kirsten, once upon a time, months ago, you and I decided we were going to be girlfriend and boyfriend. For one reason or another, it never quite happened."

Jesse paused, watching her face carefully.

"Now, I'm hoping that we can start again, and I hope you agree that we can. It's something I've always wanted and maybe it's what you might want too."

It took Kirsten a moment or two to gather her thoughts.

"Jesse, I do not want to be just a friend. I thought we decided we were going to be lovers. I thought you agreed," she said with a frown.

Jesse was first surprised, and then ... pleased.

"Kirsten, I want that too. I thought ... I thought after I told you about myself ... what had happened to me ... that you didn't feel that way any more. It's only been today that I began to feel we were getting close to being back together again. I want us to be more than friends, Kirsten, I really do."

She smiled for the first time since they had sat in the hotel lobby. She put her hand over his and squeezed it gently.

"This is not about the money, Jesse. I will tell you that my Papa has a trust fund for me when I am older. I am not poor ... and if I am not silly, I will never be poor. I do not care if you are rich. I liked you before I knew that. You are a good person, Jesse, and I want to love a good person, not a rich person."

"Then it's settled," he smiled warmly. "We will be lovers ... and maybe more."

Again, he saw the returned smile from Kirsten and once more felt a surge of adrenalin course through his veins.

"I've been looking at apartments now that I have some money," he said as they left the hotel lounge. "You can see that Kent and Eve are very close, and it wouldn't surprise me if he asks her to marry him. If that happened, I'd surely want to move out to give them their privacy. I can do that now without worrying about what kind of place I could afford."

"I do not have my trust fund until I am twenty-five," Kirsten said. "I have to finish university first. But I would like some freedom too. Perhaps, if you get a place to live ... I could share with you?" she asked tentatively.

Jesse laughed. "Wouldn't that be something," he said. "Can you cook?" he teased.

"Of course," she said firmly. "All young ladies should be able to cook."

"Sadly, it is not always so," Jesse said, a smile still on his lips. "I've been learning to cook, too. Eve is a good teacher."

"We are both very fortunate to have Eve as our friend," she said soberly.

"I agree," Jesse nodded. "I don't know what would have become of me without her help and guidance. I owe her a lot."

"We should try and think of some way to thank her," Kirsten said.

"Absolutely, but I don't know what it would be. Do you have an idea?"

"No ... not yet. But we will think of something, I am sure," she smiled.

Chapter 26 "L" for Love, "L" for Lost

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6pm

Jesse and Kirsten were both a bundle of nerves as they checked into the hotel. For Kirsten, this was the culmination of all her hopes and all her fears. She desperately didn't want to disappoint Jesse, and Jesse was equally concerned that he made this important moment right for Kirsten. She had willed herself to overcome her fears. She wanted this to be as special as Jesse did.

The dinner was very nice, but it was obvious the two of them had their minds on something else. They retired to their room just after eight o'clock and turned on the television. There was nothing on that interested the two of them as they sat together on the sofa. Almost by telepathy, they decided to get ready for bed. Kirsten went first, followed by Jesse. He took the comforter off the bed and turned down the blanket and top sheet.

Kirsten was some time in the bathroom, while Jesse was stripped to his shorts and in bed waiting for her arrival. At last, she emerged, wearing a slinky, dark blue, sleeveless nightshirt that came to mid thigh. Jesse smiled at her in appreciation. She couldn't have looked more seductive if she'd tried.

"I like your outfit," he said as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"Thank you. I chose it especially for tonight," she smiled in return.

Jesse had plans for an extended foreplay to make sure Kirsten was ready for him. That plan lasted less than ten minutes. Using his mouth and fingers, he prepared her for what was to come, patiently waiting until he felt she was prepared. Kirsten was impatient, however, wanting Jesse to begin their joining sooner than he expected. And she wasn't passive about it either. She reacted strongly to his foreplay and rose to meet his every move.

"Now, Jesse, please," she said in a hushed voice. "I am ready."

Jesse once again reminded himself that she was completely inexperienced at making love and he willed himself to slow down and be very careful with her. It was the right thing to do, but Kirsten wasn't playing along with his plan. Fortunately, birth control pills allowed both of them a complete experience. She was demonstrating some urgency, grasping his erection and rising up to meet him. It was awkward, but Jesse understood she was anxious to begin. Once again, another carefully crafted plan was discarded.

He entered her slowly and steadily, finding neither resistance nor any sign of discomfort on Kirsten's part. He continued until he was fully engulfed, resting there for a moment to allow her to get used to the feeling of him inside her. Again, Kirsten began to move in response, instinctively using her hips and rising to attempt to take more of him, her hands now on his butt, urging him deeper.

He tried to take it slow and steadily, but Kirsten kept pushing him to more and faster.

"Ya, ya, ya, ya," she cried softly as he moved steadily into her. "Oooo ... ya, ya," she continued her approval.

Whatever demons Kirsten had harboured, they had been pushed aside. She was giving herself freely to a very surprised but delighted Jesse.

Sometime later, they lay side by side, damp with perspiration and temporarily spent.

"You okay?" he asked quietly.

She smiled sleepily at him. "Ya." Shortly afterward she drifted off to sleep. Jesse wasn't long after her. His careful planning may not have gone the way he hoped, but he had to admit, the result was wonderful. She reacted spontaneously to his attentions. Their entire evening had been one of mutual pleasure.

They made love once more in the morning, this time with Kirsten on top.

"I want to do this much more, Jesse," she smiled as she kissed him. "I love you, Jesse," she said with a kiss.

"And I love you, Kirsten. I think I have since I first met you."

Monday, October 29, 2012 12pm

Jesse was whistling a tune as he entered Norwood Books. It had been a weekend to remember. He and Kirsten had made love for the first time. It was better than he had imagined or even hoped for. In some unexpected way, it was even better than when he was with Candice. Whatever her past fears were, they weren't present on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. He had wanted that evening to be a fond memory for both of them, and she assured him that he had succeeded.

There were no secrets. Kirsten had told her mother what they planned and received her hesitant approval. Anika worried whether her daughter was really ready for an intimate relationship with anyone. She consulted with Eve, only to find that Jesse had told her what the two young lovers had decided. Eve was confident that both of them knew what they were doing and didn't want to conduct their affair in secret. That was a relief for Anika. She did not, however, tell Tomas everything, only that she was staying overnight with a 'friend.'

"You're in a good mood this afternoon," Grant smiled.

"Yeah, I am," Jesse admitted. "I had a great weekend."

"Oh, and I suppose that included a certain Miss Gustafson," he probed.

"Well, you suppose correctly," Jesse replied, revealing no more.

"It's good to have happy employees," Grant said, turning back to his paperwork.

Jesse knew he was going to have to talk to Grant about his time at the bookstore. He had begun to develop plans for the future and, since money was no longer a deciding factor, he would continue on at the store as long as Grant was willing to have him, but he wanted to cut back on his hours. His priorities were changing. His education was a priority, and his relationship with Kirsten was a priority. He hoped Grant would be willing to return to the alternate afternoon system that he had employed when Jesse first went to work for him.

The discussion was short.

"I've been expecting this, Jesse, ever since you knew you would be attending university full time. I was wondering if you could make three afternoons at the usual time?" Grant asked as they chatted late that afternoon.

"I hope so, Grant. It will depend on my courses, so until I have a schedule, I won't know for sure. As soon as I do, we should sit down and plan something out that works for you."

"Okay, that's sensible. I have a couple of résumés that look like good candidates, so I don't expect I'll have a problem filling in for the time you won't be here."

"This is a great place to work, Grant. I'm really grateful you took a chance on me and gave me a job."

"It wasn't much of a chance ... besides, how was I going to turn down Mrs. Coultard?" he chuckled.

"Yeah, she is tough to say no to," Jesse agreed.

Friday, November 9, 2012 6:30pm

"Are you alright, Jesse? You look very pale," Eve said as he arrived back at the apartment.

"I don't feel too good, Eve," Jesse admitted. "I've got a headache and I'm going to skip dinner, take a couple of aspirin and go to bed. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning."

"Good idea. I'll make sure Mica doesn't bother you. I hope you'll be feeling better in the morning," she said with a warm smile.

Jesse undressed and climbed into bed. It took a while for the aspirins to take effect, but at length he dozed off.

Wednesday, July 12, 1961 8:15 am

"Ah, there you are, Mr. Peterson. You're waking up finally," the nurse smiled.

Jesse gradually gained some focus and looked around him. "Where am I?"

"Just where you've been for the last ten days, in the hospital. Your doctor should be along shortly."

There was something terribly wrong with this scene, Jesse realized. This was not Coast Central Hospital, but something a good deal older.

"I want to see Doctor Mikeska," he said.