Linesman's Hut

Story Info
My home isn't much but it shelters two grateful young women.
3.2k words
4.35
13.1k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,525 Followers

Linesman's Hut

Copyright Oggbashan April/December 2020

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

My great-grandfather sold some of his farm to a railway company to build a double-track line. The sale included a provision to sell any unwanted land back to my great-grandfather or his heirs at the original price per square yard.

It was on the highest one of a series of three terraces that were left by historic flood plains as the river shrunk. The land had been used by him as a farm track, well above any possible flooding.

The railway company had sited two old railway carriages to be a base for the linesmen who maintained the track. The carriages had been the line's largest, eight wheelers with the middle axles given sideways play so they could go around curves. But they weren't successful. They would derail frequently and when bogie coaches were introduced, they were retired. They were placed end to end on a disused siding. A lean-to was built alongside to link them since they were not corridor coaches,

In the 1930s the railway company had been absorbed into Southern Railway who reduced the track to a single line. Between the old railway carriages and the single track they had put one of their pre-cast linesman's huts. The linesman had linked that with more lean-tos to the carriages to prove an extensive dwelling for him and his family.

My great-grandfather had rebuilt his farm track on the lowest of the three terraces, still above flooding. Between that track and the river were water meadows used for pasture in summer and usually partly flooded each winter.

The other side of the railway line the land rose into chalk downland. During the Second World War the farm track had been upgraded to a military road linking to an army base close to the coast. After the war the road had become a B-class road linking the coastal road to a major route inland.

In the 1960s the railway line was closed as part of the Beeching reforms. The land was sold back to my father but the then linesman retired. My father let him and his wife stay for a nominal annual rent. The local council asked to lease the railway line for use as a cycle track linking a country park with the seaside town that had been the terminus of the now defunct railway. My father agreed a 99 year lease for the cycle track but the linesman's hut wasn't included.

The linesman died in the early 1990s and his widow at the end of the 1990s. My father offered the hut to me as a home. I accepted and started maintenance that had been neglected since the 1960s. Because it had been continuously occupied by the linesman and his wife there were no restrictions such as use for farm workers only. This year, now I had built up enough capital, I intended to demolish it and build a modern four-bedroom bungalow on the site. The views over the unspoilt river valley were great and it was well above any possible flooding. The land around it was large enough to build a double garage and still have a very large garden, almost a smallholding that could be used to grow produce for market.

I had to spend money straight away before moving in. The old carriages had canvas roofs waterproofed with tar and they were leaking. I employed a specialist contractor to erect a fibreglass roof above them but not touching. When I eventually demolished the buildings at least two heritage railways wanted the old coaches which dated back to the 1860s and still sat on their original wheels on a short section of railway line.

+++

The winter and spring had been unusually wet. I had a collection of buckets to catch water coming through the connections between the concrete hut and the carriages. Sometimes I had to empty them more than twice a day.

The water meadows had been flooded continuously since November. In May there were a few days of intermittent sunshine and the cycle track had been used. The council had built a car park on the other side of the river, next to a country pub, where the terraces were much wider than on my side. There was an ancient narrow bridge that took the slightly more major road across the river before the cycle track and the B-road forked south.

Many of the cyclists came by car, parked, unloaded their bikes and used the old railway track because it was level all the way to the coast unlike the roads which climbed over the downland.

One Sunday morning it had started with brighter sunshine than normal. I took advantage of it to do some gardening before a sudden heavy shower forced me indoors. As I came back in I could see that the hills to the north had heavy low-lying cloud and much heavier rain. By lunchtime the river was flowing faster and the flooded area lapped the lowest terrace on which the road was built. Unless the water rose another six feet, which had never happened yet, the road would remain passable.

I was sitting looking out of one of the old railway carriages at the heavy rain which had now moved down stream and watching the floodwaters rise. I wasn't worried. The road would have to flood first and I was another fifteen feet above that.

My front door bell rang loudly. It was an ancient ship's bell sounded by pulling a rope outside. I opened the door. Two women cyclists were there.

"Hello," I said, "What can I do for you?"

"Could we shelter with you for a while, please?" One of them asked. "the bridge approaches are flooded and we can't get back to our car."

"We're also soaking wet," The other added.

I could see they were. They had been wearing lightweight shower-resistant jackets that were not enough for continuous heavy rain.

"OK. Put your bikes over there," I pointed to a lean to where I kept my wheelbarrow. They both had folding Brompton bicycles.

We went into the concrete Southern Region linesman's hut that I use almost as a porch. I keep my wellingtons, outdoor coats and garden tools there but the wood burner ensures it is the warmest part of my house. I added some more wood and opened the air vent to make it burn hotter.

"Welcome to my ramshackle house." I said. "I'm Jim Taylor."

""I'm Anne Sanders," one of them said. "At least I think I am. I'm so cold and wet I'm not sure."

"And I'm her sister Emma."

"I think you need to get out of those wet things," I said. "I've got a couple of track suits that might fit you along with warm towels."

"Warm towels sound great," Anne said.

I put up two clothes drying rails near the wood burner. They were shedding their coats as I went to the airing cupboard for warm towels and the track suits.

When I came back I hung the towels and track suits on the airers. They had shed their coats but Anne was struggling with the zip on her soaking wet fleece. She was almost crying.

"My fingers don't work," she wailed.

"I'm not surprised. You're very cold."

I undid the zip for her and helped her out of the fleece. Her top was also wet and her bra showed through.

"Have you got any dry clothes?" I asked. I thought the answer would be no because they were not carrying anything on themselves or their bikes. Anne was shivering too much to reply.

"No," Emma said. "We were stupid. The sun was shining. We could see the rain on the hills but the weather forecast said it was moving north. We left everything in the car -- our spare clothes, our purses, even our mobile phones. Once we starting cycling the track was so flat and easy that we went further than we had intended. We had thought ten minutes each way but we didn't stop until after half an hour. When we turned back the rain came and the bridge approach was flooded."

"OK. I'll have to strip everything off, Anne. Is that OK?"

Anne nodded feebly.

"Yes," Emma said, "then me. Like her I can't undress myself." She had got her fleece off but her fingers weren't working.

I stripped Anne completely before wrapping her in warm towels. I did the same for Emma and then dressed Anne in a warmed track suit. I towelled her hair dry before dressing Emma and drying her hair too. I wrapped the towels back around them. Their discarded clothes were steaming on the airers beside the wood burner.

"Can we move to somewhere more comfortable?" Emma asked. "With our clothes drying this is like a steam room."

"Yes, if you wait a couple of minutes while I open up the other wood burner. It's running on low now."

"OK, Jim. Thank you." Emma said.

I went through to one of the old railway carriages that had a lounge at one end and a kitchen at the other. I opened the air vent on the wood burner before picking up my binoculars. I looked at the bridge and its approaches. On the west side I could see a police car with a flashing blue light. On the east side there were about three cars turning around.

The approach was about four feet deep and flowing fast.

I went back to get the women. Emma could walk by herself but I had to carry Anne. I put her down on the settee before wrapping both of them in blankets.

"Stay there while I make some soup," I said.

I put some vegetables in a blender before heating it in the microwave. I poured it into two mugs. Emma could just about hold her mug. I had to hold Anne's.

"I had hoped I could borrow one of my father's tractors and take you across the flood," I said. "But it's too deep and fast running. It will have to drop considerably before that is possible, maybe a couple of hours after high tide."

"When's high tide?" Emma asked.

I looked at the kitchen clock.

"About an hour and a half from now, so I couldn't try for about three and a half to four hours -- if it stops raining."

"If the rain doesn't stop,Jim?"

The rain was still beating against the windows.

"The next time the tide would be right is in the early hours. I'd rather not try in the dark. I would suggest waiting until the next daylight time."

The rain was still beating against the windows.

"Stay there for a while. I've got to empty the buckets," I said.

"Why is it leaking so much? Emma asked.

"It wasn't very well built and not maintained for decades," I said. "There is no point now. It will be demolished in three months' time. I'll be in a mobile home while the new house is built."

"New house?"

"Yes. I had planning approval last week to demolish this ramshackle collection of odd buildings and build a new four-bedroom bungalow on the site. Where we are now will be an enclosed conservatory with a raised patio outside. I could sit out on the patio in summer and have the view from the conservatory for the rest of the year - and no buckets to empty."

I had to change some of the buckets for larger ones but even so I would have to get up halfway through the night if it kept raining as hard. It took me about a quarter of an hour. When I returned Emma and Anne were looking much more animated. I gave them some more soup.

"Is there anyone you ought to tell where you are?" I asked.

"Our parents, I suppose, but they won't be expecting us back until this evening," Anne said.

"You could ring them. The phone is over there. My address is on the notice board above it."

I picked up my binoculars. Through the rain I could just make out that there was one car in the car park, a Morris Traveller, probably theirs, and between it and the bridge a police car with its blue lights flashing.

"We should also tell the police. With your car unattended they might start looking for you."

While Anne rang her parents I went back to move their bicycles into the concrete linesman's hut. It would be unlikely that there would be any thieves about but their bicycles were expensive and easily carried.

Anne had finished her phone call. I asked her for her car's registration details before I rang to local police station. They would pass on the message to the police car by the bridge.

I made them some coffee before we moved into the kitchen and I started preparing lunch. I had enough food for over a week since I was going to be working from home. My office in Eastbourne was being rewired so I had moved out. Even if the bridge approach stayed flooded, I could drive to Eastbourne but going west might be difficult.

When I refilled their coffee mugs they insisted we went back to the sitting room. I sat between them on the settee. I protested that I should be making lunch.

"Forget lunch for a while, Jim!" Anne said, "We haven't said thank you properly."

The two of them jumped on me for an extended period of hugging and kissing. I would have enjoyed it more with one instead of two but I was happy with what I was getting. I was worried as two hands kept rubbing against the erection straining my trousers.

After about a quarter of an hour when I was beginning to feel slightly frustrated that I couldn't go further with two sisters, the phone rang.

I extricated myself, went into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

"Jim? It's Irene."

"Hello Irene. What can I do for you?"

Irene worked at the architects that had prepared the plans for my new house and progressed the planning application. I had taken her out for a couple of restaurant meals and as my house was being built I hoped my relationship with Irene would develop. We had been part of a group of friends at the local university five years ago, and occasional partners but at the time we had more significant relationships, now ended.

"It's more what I can do for you, Jim. You've got Emma and Anne with you?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"They're my cousins. Their parents rang me. The latest weather forecast is for continuous rain for the next few days. The bridge could be impassable for a week."

"A week!" I squeaked.

"Exactly. Anne and Emma for a few hours would be OK unless..."

"Unless?"

"They are man-eaters, Jim. You could be worn out after a week with those two. So I'm coming to pick them up, and their bicycles, and take them back to their car so they can go home."

"That would be great, Irene. When will you get here?"

"In about an hour, Jim."

"OK. I was about to give them lunch then. Would you like lunch too?"

"Yes, please. It will take me less than an hour to get them around to the other side of the bridge but by then I would have been starving. Lunch with Jim sounds great."

"OK, Irene, see you in about an hour."

I went back to Emma and Anne. I told them what Irene had said. They were pleased and jumped on my again to demonstrate their thanks. Half an hour later I had to stop their kissing so we could all start to make lunch in the kitchen. Irene arrived almost as we had finished.

She walked up to me, threw her arms around me and turned her face up for a kiss. Still holding me Irene spoke to Emma and Anne.

"Cousins? You may be grateful to Jim, but he's mine. Understood?"

"But he's been great for us, Irene," Anne said. "Can't we show our gratitude?"

"Knowing you two, you probably have already," Irene said. "Leave the rest of the thanks to me."

During lunch Irene was sitting on my knee. Afterwards Anne and Emma went to the linesman's hut to change back into their now-dry clothes.

"Yours, Irene?" I asked when we were alone.

"Yes, Jim. That was the only way I could stop the cousins raping you to say thanks. They're terrors. But I mean it. I want you. When I've taken them back to their car I'm coming back here. I should be back about three o'clock, and then..."

"Then?"

"I'm going to say thank you in a way I won't let Anne and Emma do."

"You're sure?"

"Yes, Jim. You have an overnight guest who doesn't want to sleep alone."

Any response I might have made was stopped with a kiss.

Ten minutes later I was kissed by Anne, Emma and Irene before they went off on the roundabout journey to get to the other side of the bridge. About three-quarters of an hour later I saw Irene's car arrive at the car park. They spoke to the Police Patrol before Anne and Emma put their bikes in their car and left, followed by Irene shortly afterwards. The flood on the bridge approaches was even higher and the rain was still falling hard.

I went around my ramshackle house emptying all the buckets. If it continued raining like this I would have to empty them again before bedtime, and probably in the middle of the night.

I saw Irene's car returning and had opened the door so she wouldn't have to stand in the rain. She was carrying a small suitcase which she dropped before hurling herself on me.

She didn't let me go as we went into the living room.

"Why, Irene?" I said when I could.

"When the cousins' parents rang me with the news that the bridge might stay closed for a week, I rushed off to the rescue -- not of Anne and Emma but of you, Jim.

Anne and Emma are demanding partners. Their last boyfriends couldn't cope with their sexual needs. When I thought of you stranded with the two of them, that decided me. I wanted you, and didn't want you to be their victim. So I drove here as fast as I could -- to rescue you."

"Thank you, Irene, Now what?"

"You're rescued, but I want thanks -- in bed, Jim."

And that's what she got. By the end of the night she was my fiancée.

The floods brought me two wet women, and a woman to love.

+++

This story is broadly based where the A259 crosses the Cuckmere River in East Sussex by Exeat bridge. There is a cycle path to the east of the river but the car park is also to the east, not the west on the other side of the old bridge as I put it. The Cuckmere River had flooded at record levels from October 2019 to February 2020 and was still flooded as I started writing this on 1st March 2020.


oggbashan
oggbashan
1,525 Followers