Little Red Haired Girl Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I continued: "In this case, I'm seeing a very active DEA not only getting that photo from Turpin Heights, but now coming up with this photo from the City. And to get those photos, the DEA had to be like a bloodhound on a scent. They knew enough to be there with shirt-button-cameras and Google glasses. They've got something going on, but they don't seem to want to actually collaborate with me on it, and they're getting you to bell the cat for them and pick my brain on this. So... kindly tell them that if they want my help, I'm very willing to give it... but not like this, not with mysteries on both ends."

Muscone leaned back in his chair and nodded. "You're right." he said. "Not to excuse myself, but I was trying to help the DEA in order to forge better ties with them in my region of the country, and especially this State. Dwight Stevens wanted me to get as much information as I could from you. He says he was afraid you were angry with him after the Marcie Harper drug bust, but I'm not sure that's the real reason."

"Of course it's not." I said. "I gave Special Agent Stevens a very good demonstration that he was not dealing with an Agency of the Weak-Minded... but apparently he has not learned the lesson. His real reason is that he's still miffed at me for not being forthcoming about Marcie's code, and then scaring the shit out of him by throwing my crowbar on the floor when you and he were coming down that passage under the hotel. And as part of that, he wants to get all the info from me he can, but without revealing to me any more than he has to. I can understand that he was miffed at me, but if he wants me to help him with anything, he's got to get right about things."

Muscone nodded. "You're right. I'll relay the message, to Stevens, and to his boss."

"Who is that?" I asked.

"DEA Special Agent in Charge Rutherford Lyndon." said Muscone. "He's one of the good guys. One of the U.S. Senators from the State to our east tried to bribe him one time. He played along, wore a wire, and got a lot of dirt on that Senator, including some collaborations with some Swamp Frogs in Washington. Brought almost all of them down."

"Sounds like my kind of guy." I said.

"I'll arrange a meeting." Muscone said. "I think these are guys you can trust, though I'll let you make your own observations and deductions about them. I do know that they have one thing in common with you: they despise the SBI-NTF as much as you do. My own advice to you is that they could be very good allies for you against the NTF if and when Katherine Woodburn succeeds in forcing the NTF, or whatever new iteration of it they create in this compromise Budget bill, to be the boss of all of your State's county LEOs."

"That will be the day." I said flatly. "So... anything on Paco?"

"He's disappeared completely." said Muscone. "As has Shimono. We're looking for her in the City areas. The DEA thinks Paco might be in the City, also. But I'm not convinced of that, nor am I convinced that he's part of any triumvirate with Barsbane and Shimono."

"Why do you say that?" I asked, out of sheer curiosity.

"Assuming this really is Tomoko Shimono we're dealing with," said Muscone, "I can see her and Barsbane working together on something. She would steal someone's technology, and he'd smuggle it out to wherever she wanted it to go. But Paco? He doesn't fit into this puzzle; his M.O. doesn't jive with theirs."

"I happen to agree with you." I said. "I look forward to the DEA telling me why they think these three are so important..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:30pm, Captain Damien Thompson came to my office and asked to speak to me. I had him come in and sit down.

"This is not about my Public Relations duties, sir." said Thompson. "It's something else. Do you know who my father's brother is?"

"The Teacher? Yes." I said.

"Yes sir." said Captain Thompson. "My uncle is the bad sheep in the family, and my dad and I have very little to do with him. But he called my dad and asked that we give you a message from my uncle. He says a 'bad actor' is in Town, someone that he thinks we should know about. He wouldn't give any more information on the phone."

"Okay." I said. "Send a message back that I'm going to come see him."

"At... at his hideout?" Captain Thompson said, wide-eyed. "Are you serious?"

"Absolutely." I said. "We'll never get him to come here. Bad optics for him."

"Uh, sir," said Thompson, "maybe I should go with you. He might not have you killed on sight if his nephew is with him."

"I'm not so worried, but sure, come on along." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:15pm, Thursday, February 21st. I had armor underneath my shirt, the 'girdle', and armor lining my trenchcoat. Captain Thompson had armor under his shirt and in the lining of his Police cold-weather jacket. It would be nowhere near enough if all of The Teacher's people started shooting at us at point-blank range, though. I was hoping that the SWAT Team massed just outside 'the Junkyard' would be a better deterrent.

The Junkyard was on the eastern side of the Southwestern Ghetto, and marked the unofficial end of that district from other parts of the Tenderloin District. Weinstein's bar was east of the area, which had a high wooden fence surrounding the property, and a labyrinth of trails through junk cars, tires, and piles of metal scrap. Sane people did not go onto this property without invitation from its owner. The TCPD had been told to not enter these grounds, even in pursuit of wanted criminals.

Captain Damien Thompson and I were being led through the trails between piles of metal, picking up 'attendants' as we went along. Captain Thompson looked nervous, while I studiously kept an untroubled and fearless face.

We were stopped at a bend in the trail for a moment, then a man came around the bend and said "The Teacher has agreed to see you, Iron Crowbar." He waved me forward. Captain Thompson was also waved into the cleared out area. Behind it was a pile of metal that with what looked like a door lying against the pile. I was not fooled: there was a living space under all that metal, and I imagined it was quite cozy and serviceable.

Sitting in an old rocking chair and carving something out of a piece of wood with a 'Rambo' knife was the man known as 'The Teacher'. He had shared Captain Thompson's physique when he'd been Captain Thompson's age, and though he was more elderly now, he still looked to be in shape and a potentially formidable adversary in personal combat.

"Well, well well, it's the Iron Crowbar himself." he said, looking up at us. "Have a seat." I did so, in the chair to his left. He said "My nephew can remain standing. He has embarrassed me by becoming a cop. Shameful."

"I'm glad he did." I replied. "He's done very honorably and well in the TCPD. Not just anyone becomes a Captain on the Police Force."

"Even worse." said The Teacher, and I could not tell if he was giving his nephew a backhanded compliment, just needling him, or if he was serious. "You don't back down, Iron Crowbar. That's good. And you're a fearless man, coming in here, more than brave."

"I heard you had some important information that I might could use." I said. "If it's what I think it is, it's worth showing you the respect of coming to see you."

"It's worth it." said The Teacher as he continued to carve something out of wood. I saw that it was taking the shape of a crowbar, about a foot long. "I'm not going to pretend that you don't know what my business is. Information has come my way that someone has come into this County, someone with bad intentions. He sent people to get my help, and I turned him down flat. I don't want any part of what he's doing."

"What's that?" I asked.

"His people contacted my people, who told me." said The Teacher. "I get the idea he contacted them on behalf of someone, someone big. Someone well above my pay grade, more like at your pay grade, Iron Crowbar. He wanted me and my people to get some information... industrial information, industrial secrets."

"Which company?" I asked.

"I don't know." said The Teacher. "Maybe I should've strung him along, gotten more out of him. But I've learned not to play games like that. It gets people killed, and this guy will kill you as soon as he would look at you. Have you ever heard of a man named 'Paco'?"

"Paco Domingo?" I asked. "I've heard vague things about him. Martial arts expert. Security for mobsters, mostly."

"That's the guy." said The Teacher. "But he just goes by the name 'Paco'. He's as embarrassed about those Domingos in Southport as I am of my cop nephew here."

"So he's in Town?" I asked. "And asking for help to get industrial secrets?"

"I'm tryin' to tell ya." said The Teacher. "That's the story. And I'm sure you've figured out that I want you to put the heat on this guy so that he doesn't come after me or my operations for turning him down."

"I hear ya." I said. "Okay, I'll look into it, and see what this Paco is doing. Anything else you can tell me about him?"

"No." said The Teacher. "He left the County, and if he's come back, my people haven't seen him yet."

"Okay, then." I said, getting out of the chair. The Teacher extended his carving to me; indeed, it was a crowbar.

"I heard you were the man behind the Mayor bringing up our southside schools being underfunded." said The Teacher. "The people in power did not like hearing that. The only way my people are going to get out poverty is through education, and you just blasted one of their attempts to keep my people down. So this carving is a gift for you doing that, but don't stop, ya hear?"

It was a lot more, I realized. "Thank you. I'm honored. " I said, taking the carving. "And thank you for the information. And by the way, your nephew here is a good example for your people of what a good education combined with honorable intentions can do for them."

With that The Teacher nodded, indicating that we were free to go... and to go unmolested. Once we were back to the street, we got into my Police SUV, which had Police cruisers in front and behind it.

"I don't think I should've gone with you, sir." said Thompson. "He wasn't kidding about being embarrassed about me being a Police Officer."

"He also knows you're setting a better example for southside kids than he or T-Square is." I replied. "Whenever the Press is giving you crap, just remember that, and remember the excellent example you are to those kids." Captain Thompson nodded as we headed back to Headquarters.

Part 15 - The Fiery Furnace

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, February 22d, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that Police Commander Donald Troy has submitted his nominations to the Council for the Commission to rewrite the Town & County Charter!"

Bettina began: "The names are: the Reverend Joseph E. Williams of the Town & County A.M.E. Church, school teacher Mrs. Edna Carter of Thomas E. Williams Elementary School, Councilman Edward R. Steele, and Assistant District Attorney Savannah Fineman."

Bettina continued: "Responses to these nominations have been very mixed. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. Superstar rapper T-Square was shown, saying "Commander Troy has shown a very high clarity in his vision in nominating Reverend Williams and Mrs. Carter to the Commission." J.P. Goldman was then shown, saying "As usual, Commander Donald Troy has proved his wisdom beyond his years with these excellent choices."

Back to Bettina live: "However, Eldrick X. Weaver, who lost the Mayoral race last November after a deeply controversial Court decision, issued a statement saying, quote: 'These nominations show Commander Troy's subservience to the white rulers of this County, and a total disregard for minority voices and interests.', unquote. Commander Troy did not respond to KXTC's repeated request for comment upon his nominations."

Bettina went on: "And in State news, the State Capitol is on virtual lockdown as rumors fly about the possibility of a Budget compromise! Sarah Honeysuckle, spokesperson for the deeply unpopular Jared Administration, did not give a Press conference yesterday, only issuing a statement that there would be no Press conferences until next week. Meanwhile, State House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds had this to say about rumors that he is being excluded from any serious Budget negotiations. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Hammonds saying "I have a strong, bipartisan coalition that will do everything possible to prevent Governor Val Jared from discriminating against undocumented workers! We will not agree to any deal that gives Jared anything, even if that means no Budget will be passed. It is up to Val Jared to stop his racist policies and accept what we present to him after a fair Legislative negotiation."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Bettina gave way to Jeff Hull for Sports, all eyes in the Chief's Conference Room were on Your Iron Crowbar. Sheriff Griswold was not present, but my Angels and Chief Moynahan were.

"So what were your reasons for those names?" asked Cindy.

"You shall see," I said, "if you watch KFXU at 7:30. I gave their political reporter a sit-down interview yesterday, here in the Press Interview Room."

"I never heard about that." Cindy said. "Did you tell Captain Thompson?"

"Why, no." I said with the beginnings of a wicked grin. "He was in your office at the time. I would imagine he was explaining why he went with me to see The Teacher without informing you first."

"Yes, as a matter of fact he was." Cindy replied, looking darkly at me. "And I don't object to it, or that you had him go with you hastily. But do me the courtesy of telling me you're taking my Public Relations Officer into The Junkyard... so I can start funeral preparations next time."

"Hopefully there will not be a next timmmme." drawled the Chief. "I see both sides of this, and I would suggest to just let it gooooo... especially if it led to some good information for the DEA."

I glanced over at the Chief. "I perceive they've been talking to you, Chief."

"Now you know how I feel." Cindy said. A red crowbar was waved in her general direction. A green crowbar was waved back in mine.

"Let it go, let it goooooo." admonished the Chief. "Just so you all knowwwww, the DEA called me to ask permission to borrow Commander Troy for a meeting in the City either this weekend or early next week. I told them I was good with it as long as Mr. Crowbar was good with it, and if no big crimes happened here over the weekend."

"I haven't received the formal invitation yet." I said. "But I was informally alerted by certain FBI Agents who need to set a wedding date... soooooon." I looked right at Tanya Perlman as I said it. The Chief laughed at my excellent imitation of what he would've said, and Tanya grinned, a glimmer in her eyes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 7:30am, MCD was full of Detectives, and the Chief's Conference Room still had the leadership in it as the KFXU broadcast started. A few moments later came this:

"And we have an exclusive interview with Police Commander Donald Troy," said Catrina Pierce, "to discuss his reasons for his nominations to the Town & County Charter Commission. Roll tape." Tape rolled.

We were sitting in the Press Conference Room, myself and Priya Ajmani. Priya looked gorgeous in a tight-fitting but tasteful dress and very high heel pumps. I'd put on a Duty Dress jacket, knowing that was the only way to not be badly out-GQ'd by Detective Washington.

Priya started off by asking "You've named two black persons, Rev. Williams and Mrs. Carter, and two white persons, Mr. Steele and ADA Fineman. Two men, two women. Seems very fair and balanced, Commander. What was behind these selections?"

"I nominated Rev. Williams," I said, "because he, like his father before him, is a very respected leader of the Minority communities, and as a man of the Lord his patience will be most welcome on any undertaking like this. I nominated Edna Carter because she is a respected school teacher, and education is going to be a big, big part of this re-write."

"I nominated Edward Steele," I continued, "because he's a Council Member and will be representative of them, and also because as I've gotten to know him and we've become friends, I've found him to be a very fair-minded, thoughtful man who will work towards solutions instead of bickering about petty things. And I nominated ADA Fineman because I wanted a lawyer with expertise in how our Town & County works, and who can help us with the legal language and the issues and the process of it all."

Towards the end of the interview, I allowed Priya an 'ambush' question, which really wasn't an ambush because we'd agreed for her to ask it and for me to have a great answer: "Commander," she said, "there are rumors in Midtown of a new or re-worked SBI-NTF being proposed as part of the overall Budget negotiations. You yourself showed that an NTF is not needed when you worked with other jurisdictions as well as the Federal DEA to make the biggest drug bust in our State's history. So is an NTF necessary? Can you comment on that?"

"Sure." I said. "In the past the SBI-NTF under Jack Lewis was a very corrupt organization. A United States Marine was murdered by dirty SBI Agents in our County, we've had run-ins with the NTF that led to shooting incidents, and they would attempt to come into our County and impede my investigations, not help them."

I continued: "However, many others, including some of my own Police Officers, would welcome a support organization that would serve as a clearinghouse for exchanging information between local jurisdictions, and it's hard to argue against their reasoning. If whatever they come up with is an honest organization, and more of a support unit rather than one that tries to dominate local jurisdictions, it would probably be acceptable to me."

"Will a budget get passed, Commander?" asked Priya.

"I am not a Legislator, and I don't play one on TV." I said. "But I think they know that this time it's real, that their backs are against the wall regardless of Party affiliation. I think they'll get something cooked up, especially if they keep Wilson Hammonds out of the kitchen."

Priya's eyes sparkled as I said that, and I thought she might jump me and fuck my brains out right then and there... and I would not have minded if she had...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ohhhh, that was a verbal crowbar beatdown if ever I've seeeeen one." drawled Chief Moynahan happily.

"Yes. Yes it was." said Teresa.

"Hammonds is going to blow a gasket when he hears that." Tanya said. "And he's dirty enough to try to get back at you, maybe by cutting off funds to the University's Psychology Department."

"I'll tell you guys a secret, and don't let it get out." I said. "Hammonds is already being excluded from the serious talks. Without him in the room, there may be a very real chance of getting a Budget bill passed. In reality, he doesn't have the coalition he thinks he has."

After a moment Cindy asked: "So Priya is forgiven?"

"Well, as long as she keeps it real and doesn't get catty on me." I said. "And by the way, if KXTC demands an equal-time interview, you can tell them that they're not getting jack shit from me, though you can tell them in nicer terms than that."

Cindy just shook her head.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:55 pm Friday, February 22d. Laura and I had dined at Luigi's, which was in the northwest area of Town, near the Mall and next to the River. The food was excellent, as usual. Laura had some wine with her meal, but I had coffee, since I was driving. I would make up for it with a Scotch-and-Amaretto 'Godfather' at home, I told myself.