Little Red Haired Girl Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Also, more specific to your point, Mrs. Carnes," I said, "the University is its own entity, and makes sure to tell us so whenever they can. In a reciprocal way, I am not interested in the University's opinion on Town & County Government. If I do want University input, I can get that from my boss... that being my wife, of course."

There were some chuckles in reply to that joke, from experienced husbands in the room. Then I said "And I believe ADA Fineman doesn't live all that far away from you, Mrs. Carnes, so the northern suburbs do have some representation on the Commission."

"What I find objectionable," said Malinda Adams, "is that women are in the minority on this Commission. Why didn't you select three women and one man besides yourself?"

"I chose two women and two men." I said. "That's pretty fair and balanced, especially considering you Council Members asked me to be the Commission Chairman, so you'll have to live with the fact that I'm a male and intending to stay that way."

"Your utopia of an all-woman society will not be realized in the new Charter." said Dagmar Schoen, and rather viciously. Malinda Adams glared hatefully at Dagmar Schoen, but said nothing.

"I don't object to the Reverend Williams, nor Mr. Steele nor ADA Fineman." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "But is Mrs. Carter really up to something like this? No disrespect intended, but she's a schoolteacher, and not someone experienced in the political issues that will come up over this."

"Like you said," I said, "she's a schoolteacher. I've met her before on occasion, and I think she'll do well, especially on the important issues of education, which is one of the major issues of this re-write."

I was wondering to myself why Lewis was objecting to Mrs. Carter, who was black like he was. Something to ponder in the future, I thought, putting that into its compartment of the mind for the moment.

"No offense intended," said Susan Weston, "but why Mr. Steele from the Council instead of one of the rest of us? I understand your personal friendship with him, but did you consider any of the rest of us?"

"Yes, I did consider everyone in this room now, including Our Sheriff." I said. "He gets to unofficially proofread the final version and tell me why I'm wrong on all of it. I thought Mr. Steele was a good fit for the Commission, a good choice to balance it out, and I trust his judgement and his advice. No offense to anyone else, of course."

"Of course." said the Mayor. "Any other comments? Objections?"

"I still want two more people on it." said Carnes. "And those two to be named by this Council. Consider that a motion to amend the bill."

"I second that motion to amend." said Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"Sheriff, Commander," said Mayor Allgood, "unless the Council has any more questions of either of you, I thank you for your input tonight, and you are free to go." There being no more questions for us, Sheriff Griswold and I took the hint and left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So, Sheriff, what's going to happen to the Commission I suggested?" I asked as we walked down the hallway.

"Aw, that's a done deal." said Griswold. "Carnes wants two people of her own choosing on it to cause you as much trouble as possible, but all they would do is bicker over the two names. So in the end, you'll get the ones you want... except Edward Steele. Don't be surprised if you get saddled with one of the others."

"Or my friendly neighborhood Sheriff." I said with a teasing grin.

"Har!" growled the Sheriff. "Naw, it'll go the way you want. Things always seem to. Except for the Boards of Inquiry. I fear the next one that comes up."

"That reminds me of something I wanted to bring to the Mayor's attention." I said as we went outside and walked towards Police Headquarters. "Try this idea on for size, sir..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the way home, I went by the University Vet School to check on Barky. The night staff there said they'd just checked and had seen no internal bleeding, and that Barky just needed rest and time to heal. It hurt my soul to see that brave little dog bandaged up, and I mentally let flow upon Barky all the will power I could muster for him to get well.

I'd visited to check on him, but also so that the Vet School people would see that the TCPD Police Commander was personally interested in Barky's health. Not that I didn't trust them, but nothing gets people's attention like a concerned dog-loving man with a red crowbar in his grubby paws...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Going into the Mountain Nest, I found a very quiet home. Carole and Jim were in bed and asleep, with Marie staying overnight with Carole. Bowser looked up at me from his basket when I peeked in, and he came with me as I first checked on Jim and Buddy, then went downstairs.

Laura came out of the 'Puter Room. "Scotch or bourbon?" she asked.

"Scotch." I said. "I'll take the dogs out. I'll be back in a minute."

Going outside, the dogs went to inspect and to do their business as I sat down in the metal mesh chair. I'd looked up the mountain at The Cabin, which was southeast of the Mountain Nest, and I saw a few dim lights behind the Levelor blinds. I got the sense that everything was secure up there.

"Here you go." said Laura, handing me my drink, then sitting down with me on the metal mesh loveseat, a duplicate of the one on the back deck of The Cabin. "How was the Council meeting?"

"I am really sick and tired of the race card being thrown around, and the attacks on the Mayor for us not letting his win be stolen from him. Not to mention being tired of just the attitude of some of them." I said, sounding as bitter as I felt.

"Hmf." Laura said. "And they're the mirror image, hating you, believing you really did cheat Weaver out of his 'rightful' win. Not to mention being a big bad cop with a big red crowbar that you use to beat up blacks because you're a white supremacist."

"You don't really believe that, do you?" I asked, only half-jokingly.

"Not that stuff about you, of course." Laura said. "And yes, the politicians know Weaver tried to cheat Daniel out of his win, and Della played dirty to try to get Allgood to lose. But there are people out there who genuinely believe Weaver was cheated and Daniel really did what Harlow and Tunnin said he did... because they want to believe it."

"And how do you feel about it all?" I asked, having never really discussed this with Laura before, not this openly and candidly.

"Well," Laura said, sipping her drink, "I'm sure you realize that I'm no Republican and will not be considered to be part of the Religious Right any time soon. I'm a sex professor, I'm bisexual, and while I'm not a Malinda Adams feminazi, I definitely tend to side with women on most gender issues, including abortion. And as a professor, I'm dependent upon Government for my salary and my research grants."

"Having said that," Laura said, "I've seen enough of the world through CIA eyes to know how bad Socialism, Communism, and Despotism are, and that things like 'climate change' are just attempts to induce guilt and impose Socialism upon this Nation. And it really bothers me how Government money is used to create false scientific research findings to support political positions, rather that to learn and understand the Truth about things."

"In that, Stephanie Steele is lucky." I said. "There's not too much politics in the possibility that something really could go faster than the speed of light. But you're right; a lot of the climate-change and studies of transgender stuff is totally based on who is paying for the so-called research."

"And that reminds me." I continued. "The LAPD had a serial killer problem, and the killer was using a pattern found in one of Stephanie's papers. I need to follow up on that."

"As if you don't have enough to do already." Laura said. "You're working like a dog right now."

"Harumph." I said, then said teasingly: "You know, dogs are Democrats like you and your fellow professors. They sit around all day, beg for food and favors, and defend their theses like dogs defend their territories. Yep, my dogs are Socialists." I said this as Bowser and Buddy came up to us and sat down in front of us, hoping for some skritchins or food.

Laura chuckled. "Yes, you're just surrounded by us Liberals. So, are you going to start the divorce proceedings tomorrow morning?"

I chuckled. "Hell no. I happen to like having you as my lawfully wedded wife, and that until death do us part, if you'll keep me. Which leads me to ask... do they give you any crap about being my wife?"

"Some of the real hardcore Socialists, like Dr. Lionel Carmela, absolutely hate me for it." Laura replied. "But most of them know me for who I am. I tell them you're not a crony capitalist Establishment Republican, as well.

"And if you think about it," I said, "you and I not all that far apart on our view of things. We definitely agree on the problems, just not always on the solutions."

"True." Laura said. "Okay, it's getting cold out here. Let's go back inside, and you can warm me up with your little crowbar."

"Little?!" I said as we got up, pretending to be greatly miffed at the insult to my manhood.

"Yes, that's right." Laura said. "My Government-paid-for research is supposed to tell you you're not great in bed because you're a man. Fortunately, in spite of what the Government wants me to tell the world, I happen to like making love with my husband."

"I say we go up to bed and vigorously research that." I suggested. We walked hand in hand up the stairs and back inside...

Part 23 - Escalation of War

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the MILF redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, February 27th, from in front of City Hall. "We are covering two breaking stories from last night's Town & County Council meeting!"

"In our first story, Channel Two News has learned that Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis is in consultation with other Black Community leaders on going forward with a lawsuit against Mayor Daniel Allgood for denying Citizens the right to speak at the public Council meeting last night. There was a packed audience at the meeting, but no one was allowed to address the Council unless they had signed up first, and were denied time to speak if their subject was about expanding the Police Department to three precincts. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Reginald B.F. Lewis earlier that morning, just after sunrise, at a podium with Eldrick X. Weaver, and both surrounded by blacks with signs that disallowed viewers seeing exactly how many supporters were really there. He said "We all know that Daniel Allgood is an illegitimate Mayor after Eldrick Weaver was denied his rightful win after the racist Courts disenfranchised voters by throwing out legitimate votes for Mr. Weaver. Now illegitimate Mayor Allgood is denying black citizens their right to be heard by denying them the opportunity to speak at public Council Meetings."

"Because of the discrimination against People of Color," continued Lewis, "and because of illegitimate Mayor Allgood's denying People of Color their Constitutional right to free speech and the right to petition the Government for the redress of wrongs, I am announcing my intention to sue Mayor Allgood, and force him to stop his discrimination against Blacks and to allow black voices to be heard at Council meetings." The crowd of undetermined number cheered loudly.

Back to Bettina live. "In related stories, several Council Members have confirmed that Commander Donald Troy threatened to arrest Councilman Lewis during the executive session of their meeting last night, after Mr. Lewis protested the Mayor's actions denying blacks their right to speak at the Council meeting. Commander Troy has not responded to repeated requests for comment on his actions, which have been construed by some as abusive and directed towards the silencing of black voices in the County."

More Bettina: "And Channel Two News has also learned that Commander Troy was at the executive session to nominate his choices to serve with him on the Commission to re-write the Town & County Charter. After a lengthy debate, the Council approved Commander Troy' choices, who had previously agreed to serve if approved. The names, in addition to Commander Troy, are Reverend Joseph E. Williams, Mrs. Edna Carter of Williams Elementary School, Councilman Edward R. Steele, and Assistant District Attorney Savannah Fineman."

Some more Bettina: "And in State news, a strong bipartisan group of Legislators, led by State House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds, continue to oppose any Budget legislation that gives deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared any tools to discriminate against undocumented workers. The Legislature is under pressure to pass a Budget bill before the March 31st deadline when the Legislative session ends."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I am starting to get tired of Bettina's constant whine about saying I've refused to comment despite so-called repeated requests." I said as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. The Sheriff had not joined our coffee klatch this morning.

"They do request comment from you, to Captain Thompson, every day." Cindy said.

"At what hours of the day?" I asked.

"Overnight, leaving phone messages." said Cindy. "They also call three minutes before Bettina goes on air every morning, and Captain Thompson doesn't bother to take their calls at that hour, if he's even here."

"I'm still tired of it." I said. "And I'm going to go on the offensive about Bettina continuing to do it. If she keeps it up, I'll go nuclear on her."

Tanya Perlman was grinning. "Uh oh, what are you going to hit her with?"

"Two words." I said. "Les Craig. Bettina had a sexual relationship with him, which I can prove, and she passed information to him that was harmful to the FBI and the TCPD. When I'm done with her, the Feds may charge her with conspiracy to commit Treason."

"Ho-leeee cow..." muttered Chief Moynahan.

Cindy said "But technically, they're right. They do call for comment and you never respond."

"God-dammit, Cindy!" I shouted, losing restraint and decorum. "That bitch just tried to paint me as a racist, and then used the 'refused to comment' shit to reinforce the slander! And you're defending her?"

"Just stop it!" Cindy said. "I'm not defending her, and you know it! But you're never going to stop her from doing shit like that! She's never going to stop if you don't stop your war with the Press! People are dead because of it, and you almost lost your daughter------"

I had risen to my feet, feeling as angry as I'd ever been. "You better figure out whose side you're on, Commander Ross." I said, my voice not loud but ragged with fury. "As far as I'm concerned, you are taking her side and defending her, and I'm just as tired of you saying you're not when you are! The friend of my enemy is my enemy, and Bettina Wurtzburg and the Press are my mortal enemy. And if you want to be on her side, then a curse upon you as well as her!"

I honestly don't remember exactly what happened after that. I felt like I was outside my body as I moved to the door, barely hearing the Chief trying to stop me from leaving. I slammed the door behind me. I know I went into my office and got my red crowbar, then I heard the door to my office slam behind me as I exited and walked down the hall and left the building...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh my God." whispered Julia Rodriguez as the Detectives sat at their desks in MCD. "What just happened in there?"

"I dunno." said Theo Washington. "But Commander Troy's face was redder than his hair."

Teddy Parker showed unusual Detective ability by going to the coffeemakers in back to refill his cup. It took a long pouring, then slowly putting sugar, then creamer into his cup, then stirring with the plastic straw, while taking several looks out the door to the back hallway. Everyone else was watching him.

"No one else came out." he said as he returned to his desk.

All the other Detectives then did the same thing. Finally, Theo Washington was rewarded with seeing Commander Ross go down the hall to her office, her own face red, a look of shock on her face.

*Whirrrrrrrr*

Theo barely got back to his desk in time as Captain Perlman drove down the hall and entered MCD through the side door. All eyes were on her.

"All right, what are you guys working on today?" Tanya asked.

"The Case of the Angry Commander, ma'am." Julia Rodriguez said fearlessly.

Tanya sighed. "Just a philosophical discussion of ideas." she tried. Nope, it didn't work.

"Come on, ma'am." said Joanne Warner. "We can't un-see what we saw. You gotta tell us..."

Tanya grimaced, then said "As you know, Commander Troy does not do anything halfway. Especially in his war with the Press. And he and Commander Ross don't see eye-to-eye on that issue. By the way, did anyone see where he went?"

"He left the building, ma'am." said Theo.

"Ah, crap." Tanya said forlornly. "We may have lost him, then." Eyes widened in shock as they heard those words, which emphasized just how bad things were.

"Lost him?" Julia Rodriguez asked, with an undercurrent of fear in her voice.

"Yes." Tanya said, sparing no one and speaking directly and brutally. "He may just leave the TCPD over this..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And welcome to Fox Eight University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith."

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith. "We have breaking news this morning out of Midtown. Let's go to our field reporter Priya Ajmani for the latest. Priya!"

"Good morning, Meredith and Catrina!" said Priya happily from her position on the lawn of the State Capitol building. "Fox Eight News has learned that a tentative Budget deal has been reached!"

Priya began: "The Budget is nearly the same as that of the last one passed two years ago, with standard baseline budgeting increases and cost of living raises. The major changes will come in the SBI structure. The Narcotics Task Force is being replaced by a branch that will be responsible for cracking down on drug distributors, especially illegal alien gangs such as NS-14 that distribute drugs to our State's children. This new unit will also be assisting the Federal Government's Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE, in rounding up and deporting criminal illegal aliens."

"This is huge news!" Catrina Pierce said. "But Priya, our competitors are reporting that there is a strong bipartisan coalition that is stopping progress on the Budget bill. Can you tell us about that?"

"Yes, Catrina!" Priya said. "That bipartisan coalition may have been what some would call 'fake news'. State House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds and lobbyists such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have tried hard to stop any immigration enforcement from happening, but it looks like both Parties realize that a Budget has to be passed, and they are abandoning Wilson Hammonds in favor of a compromise that is acceptable to Governor Jared."

"Thank you, Priya!" said Meredith. "We'll come back to you if there are any more breaking developments!" She turned to Catrina and said "That is amazing, especially after we were repeatedly told that that nothing could get through the Hammonds coalition."

"And to that point," said Catrina to the camera, "we have a surprise guest today. Commander Donald Troy of the Town & County Police has joined us. Commander, what can you tell us about this Budget deal, especially how it will affect you as SBI Reserve Inspector?"

"Thank you for having me on today." I said. "As Priya just said, what you've been hearing from KXTC has been nothing short of dishonest, fake news reporting. It's par for the course for KXTC, and especially their dishonest reporter Bettina Wurtzburg. They were trying to create news rather than just report it, but the truth is winning out."