Living In The Shadows

Story Info
Continuing Heart Is Where The Home Is. Mel goes to college.
4.6k words
4.72
17.3k
30

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bh76
Bh76
2,768 Followers

I have received a lot of feedback looking for my continuation of Heart Is Where The Home Is. I couldn't decide how I wanted to do it and ultimately I decided to make it a weekly serial. The focus will initially be on Mel, Keri, and Jim Steel's brother Joe as the main characters as they meet and begin adulthood. Ken, Lainey, Abby, and Jim will appear frequently as well as the other side characters. There's a lot of stories to tell, so please enjoy.

***Melanie***

I walked up the steps to my new front door and dropped the box I was carrying to find the keys I stupidly put in my pocket. I looked behind me and saw my best friend, Keri, struggling with two suitcases.

"Jeez," I said, "You don't have to do it all in one trip."

"It's not," she moaned. "I've still got two boxes, a gym bag and a backpack."

I rolled my eyes and opened the door. I guess I expected the vacant house to smell musty or something, but it smelled like new carpet. I should've known my brother-in-law and sister wouldn't let me walk into a dirty house.

Keri burst past me through the open door and stopped abruptly. "Holy shit!" she shrieked.

"What?" I asked as I walked up to her. That's when I saw the beautiful furnishings. My sister Lainey was an interior designer and went all out.

"I didn't expect something this nice," she chirped.

"Me either. I guess that's why they wouldn't let us see the house before we moved in."

"AAAhhhh!" Keri screamed.

"What the fuck, Keri?"

"Hi, girls," my brother-in-law Ken said as he walked into the room from the back of the house. Ken's been with my sister for two years and Keri, bless her heart, hasn't gotten used to seeing the Hollywood heartthrob in person. She actually fainted the first time they met.

Kinsey "Ken" Greer was my brother-in-law. He was known for playing Jace Stryker in the Patriot Squad series of action movies. He was from our small town and fell in love with my then waitress sister. He was retiring and moving back home when they fell madly in love. They were sickening together. Way to lovey dovey, way to much PDA.

He was Keri's favorite of the Patriot Squad actors. Mine and my sister's favorite was always Jim Steel, the blonde-haired, blue-eyed hunk of humanity.

"Hi, Ken," I said as I walked past my ever-shocked bestie. "You didn't have to go all out like this for us."

The living room was insane. There was a 70-inch television, and a large leather sectional with two matching recliners. The tables, lamps, and bookshelves all looked expensive.

"Wait until you see the bedrooms," he smiled.

I gave him a hug and asked, "Where's my sister and adorable niece?"

"At home. Little Belly has a sniffle, and we didn't want to take her on a plane."

I rolled my eyes. They named my niece Isabella, but he insists on calling her Belly. It drives my mom nuts.

Keri finally snapped out of it and whispered, "Thank you, Ken."

He laughed and said, "When are you going to get used to me?"

She shrugged as he walked up to her and grabbed her into a big hug. I swear if he weren't holding her, her knees would've given out and she'd have been a puddle of mush on the floor.

"Hey, movie star, maybe you could help with the bags since you're here?"

He let go of poor Keri and said, "Absolutely."

He headed out and Keri had a tear falling down her cheek. "Jesus Christ, Keri. He's just my brother-in-law, get over it."

I shook my head and walked away. I heard her say, "He grew his beard back," and that made me laugh. He hadn't worn a beard since he retired from acting. The most he would have was a three-day scruff. Keri was heartbroken the day she met him as he had recently shaven the beard off.

***

Once we had everything in our rooms, Ken ordered a pizza for us.

"Do you need anything? Do you have enough money?" Ken asked.

"Yeah, we're good. Dad gave me a debit card for expenses and don't think that I don't know who funded that account."

He turned red with embarrassment. I knew he was paying for my education even though he was trying to hide it. I heard him and my dad arguing about it at my graduation party. Ken was a great guy, but he sometimes didn't understand that he couldn't take care of everybody.

"Mel, I just wanted your dad to not have to worry about anything."

I laughed. "You're an idiot, dear brother-in-law, but I love you anyway." I hugged him. "Thank you for all you do for us. I know you don't have to pay for all this, and I want you to know we really appreciate it."

"Same for me," Keri added. "Thanks for letting me live in your house."

Ken laughed and said, "It's not my house, it's Mel's." He kissed both our cheeks and waved as he walked out the front door.

"What does he mean, it's your house?" Keri asked.

"I don't know. He bought it and I thought I was signing a rental lease. My sister later told me that it was the deed to the house. I didn't believe it, but maybe it's true? I'm gonna have to kick his gorgeous, rock-hard ass if that's the case."

"Oh!" We heard from the front door. Ken continued, "I forgot to give you this."

He handed me a sheet of paper that was a printed-out picture of a lanky, nerdy looking guy with glasses and messy hair, standing next to Jim Steel.

"What's this?" I asked.

"That's Joe Steel, Jim's brother. He's a first-year student here as well. That's his phone number on the page, give him a call and introduce yourselves. He's shy, and the way Jim made it sound, has a tough time making friends. I figure you could meet up and become friends."

I sighed, "Thanks, Ken. We'll be sure to look him up."

He smiled and said, "Jim says that picture is a couple years old. He may wear contacts now. Gotta go, I'll see you later."

He was out the door in a flash. I handed the paper to Keri, and she rolled her eyes. "He's the stereotypical geek."

We laughed. "I guess Jim used up all the good DNA," I said, making Keri laugh harder.

***

After a couple of weeks, we were settled in, and classes had begun. I don't want to toot my own horn too much, but I knew I was on the cuter side of the spectrum and Keri over the previous few years had grown into her own body. It didn't take long for us to start getting invitations to parties and unwanted attention from the men and boys around campus.

We avoided them at first. We agreed that we would get through our first semester before expanding our horizons into the dating and party scene. We wanted to make sure we had a handle on the flow of classes and homework and papers and all of the other stuff that went along with being college students living off campus. That lasted until the second month.

We were invited to a fraternity party by a girl that we sat near in the one class Keri and I had together. We had just taken a difficult test and succumbed to the peer pressure to relieve some stress. It was funny, that was the first time I thought about calling Jim's brother. I'd completely forgot about it and felt bad. I figured it might be a good chance to meet him and make some friends for him, if he didn't blow it that is. I couldn't see someone as bookish as him being that outgoing.

He answered, "Hello?"

"HI, Joe? This is Melanie Evans. I'm Lainey's sister. Ken gave me your number and said you go to school here."

"Um, yeah. Jim said you would call. I guess I gave up on that a while ago."

Shit! That made me feel bad.

"Yeah, I lost your number and just found it," I lied, proud of myself for my quick thinking. "Listen, my friend Keri and I are going to a party tonight and I wondered if you wanted to meet us there. We could meet up and get acquainted."

"Um, I don't know," he wavered. He sounded like he looked in the picture.

"Come on, Joe. Don't be a party pooper. If it's lame, we can take off and go somewhere else, okay?"

I could hear his sigh, "Okay, but I don't want to talk about my brother."

I laughed and said, "Ken's been with my sister for two years. I'm over all that star worship crap."

"Good," he said abruptly. I found it unnerving for some reason. Maybe he didn't have a good relationship with Jim for some reason?

We exchanged some school small talk and set up a time to meet at the party.

I walked into Keri's room and said, "Jim's brother doesn't sound too promising. I don't think he likes Jim much and he sounded like he doesn't like any people much."

"Maybe he's just shy?" she asked without looking up.

"Hopefully. If his picture is any indication, our conversation was probably the longest he'd ever had with a girl."

We giggled and I went to get ready for the party.

***

The house was packed. It was like something out of a movie, there were people everywhere, with solo cups spilling all over the place as they jumped and danced. We made our way to where we thought the drinks were and found an alpha jock guy passing out beers from a keg.

"Hey, hotties! How about a beer? We accepted his glasses after watching them come straight from the keg. I was aware of the stories of date rape drugs, so I was trying to be careful. It didn't occur to me that they could've laced the cups, but nothing happened.

"Let's see if we can find, Joe," I shouted over the music to Keri. She nodded in agreement, and we looked all around the party to see if he was there.

After an hour of looking around, we gave up.

"I guess he didn't come," I said as we refilled our beers. I was feeling well buzzed, and Keri's eyes were glassy as well. We had three beers pretty quickly and were definitely light weights.

"His loss," Keri slurred. "We can always try again another time when there won't be a crowd like this."

"Yeah," he probably saw it and freaked out.

It was getting stuffy, so we walked outside to get some fresh air. The back yard was a mess of patchy grass and garbage. There were some scattered people smoking and some were smoking pot, but we were able to find a couple of chairs that were empty by a firepit.

"You guys want in?" a guy asked offering his joint.

"No thanks," we said in unison making us giggle.

I saw a guy sitting by himself on the other side of the fire. He looked familiar, but I figured he was in one of my classes. He was gorgeous and I could tell he was well built, even though he was wearing a hoodie. He kept his head down but I caught him looking at me every few minutes. I couldn't decide if it were creepy or cute, so I let it go without talking him up.

Suddenly, my chair tilted back and the guy that was serving our beers was holding my chair.

"What's up, hottie?" he laughed, and I realized there was another guy doing the same to Keri. I tried to get up, but with my legs off the ground, I couldn't get out of the yard chair. "Do you want to go somewhere more private? We can get more... familiar."

"Let us down, asshole," I shouted, which only made them laugh more. I went to throw my beer in his face but realized it had already spilled. I grabbed at his shirt until I was suddenly let go and Keri and I fell forward.

I jumped up out of the chair and saw hoodie guy kick the guy that held Keri in the chest while having the guy that held me in a choke hold.

"Holy shit!" I shrieked as he threw the asshole he had in a chokehold into the other guy as he charged him. They banged heads and went down to the ground. It was straight out of an action movie.

"Let's get out of here," he said to me and grabbed my hand dragging me off. I grabbed Keri's and we ran along the side of the house and down the street.

"Wait, wait!" I shouted as we approached a restaurant. "I need to sit down."

He smiled and led me into the restaurant, where we found a table.

"Not that I don't appreciate your help, but who the hell are you?" I asked.

He looked surprised. "What do you mean? I'm Joe."

"Joe who?" Keri asked.

"Joe Steel. I figured you knew what I looked like; I got a picture of you."

I took the picture of him out of my pocket and showed him. He laughed.

"Jesus, that's an old picture. At least the one Abby gave me of you was more recent." He pulled my picture out of his pocket and it was from my graduation. Lainey must have sent it to her.

I looked at Joe as if I were seeing him for the first time. He was gorgeous and built like his brother. He must've been working out a lot over the years since that nerdy photo was taken.

"Thank you for helping us, Joe. I didn't expect to be accosted like that at our first party."

He smiled and I swear my body tingled. "I'm only glad I was there. You never know what's going to happen nowadays to pretty girls at a party."

Keri's silent eyes went wide and her face flushed red. "Down, girl," I thought. Joe was going to be mine.

Keri said, "Do you have a girlfriend" I kicked her under the table, and she shrieked, "Ow!"

Joe smiled, looked me straight in the eyes, and said, "Nope. No girlfriend."

I smiled and he winked at me. He continued, "I wanted to keep my nose to the grindstone for a while to make sure I don't get too overwhelmed. That's why I was hesitant to join you tonight."

I laughed. "We started out the same. I'll admit I was broken down by the peer pressure to go out tonight. I thought it would be a good way to finally meet you."

Keri snorted and I kicked her again.

"Well, ladies. I think that's enough excitement for tonight. Keri, let me get your phone so I can put my number in and have yours. We should all stick together as we try to make heads or tails of college life."

She giddily handed him her phone. She was starting to piss me off. I wanted him, so I decided to make the first move.

"Joe, Ken said you're a pretty smart guy."

"I'm okay. I'm no genius."

"Well, do you think you can help me with Calculus? I'm struggling trying to make sense of it."

Keri's head spun towards me so fast, I thought it would spin right off. She knew I was a math whiz.

He smiled. "Abby told me you were a straight A student. I'm surprised to hear that."

I felt my face flush warm from embarrassment. Before I could respond, he said, "Don't worry about it. I'd be happy to help you any way I can."

I smiled and touched his arm, "Thanks. You have no idea what that means to me."

"Oh, brother," Keri sighed. I kicked at her, but she moved her leg that time and stuck her tongue out.

"Come on, I'll walk you back to your house. You didn't drive right?" He asked.

"No, we live about six blocks from here."

"Perfect. I think Ken and Jim may have conspired, I'm about that far as well." Then he told us his street.

"Holy cow! Us too," Keri shrieked.

He laughed and said, "Yeah, that figures. My brother is a bit over the top trying to take care of me. I keep telling him that I don't want his help. Hell, I had a full ride scholarship that included housing, but he had to be the big shot again and buy a house for me. I bet they had someone find us two houses close together."

I smiled, glad that they did. I was shot through the forehead by cupid's arrow. Joe was not only a fine specimen of a man, but he was also smart, and a gentleman. I was definitely going to go after him, full court press.

***

We talked about the school and some of the unexpected things that popped up when we started classes, on the way home. He was articulate and made it a point to involve me and Keri in the conversation, which delighted Keri. I realized, I was going to have to have a heart to heart with her and make her stay away from my man. I laughed at that. He wasn't my man--yet.

"This is us," I said as we approached our house.

Joe laughed and said, "That just proves they colluded on this. I'm two doors down. The white house, there."

We laughed and he gave us both a warm hug as we said goodnight.

"Great to meet you, Joe. Thanks again for helping with those goons," Keri gushed.

"You, too. I'll see you soon."

He stood at the end of our driveway until we were in the house and then walked the short distance to his house. I looked at Keri and before she could say anything, I said, "No way, he's mine and I'm going to marry that man someday."

Keri smiled and shook her head.

***Joe***

I flopped down on my couch and kicked my shoes off.. I grabbed my phone and sent a text to Abby and Jim, "You bought us houses two doors down from each other and didn't tell us?"

Jim replied, "LOL. We had a bet on how long it would take for you to realize it. I won."

I shook my head and responded, "If you wouldn't have given her a two-year-old picture, we would've met earlier. I could tell she didn't call me because she thought I was still that geek."

Abby responded, "That was all part of his stupid plan."

I replied, "Whatever!" and tossed my phone on the table. I pulled out the worn picture of Keri that I'd been staring at for months and sighed. It was clear that she liked me, I only hoped I didn't screw it up too badly.

I didn't have any experience with girls. I dated some but being too shy was a curse on me and ended most of my attempts at relationships. I built up more confidence after I started working out and got contacts, but I was almost done with school at that point.

While it wasn't an overnight transformation, I was able to build up my body and with a decent haircut and no glasses, I became a half-way decent looking guy. My brother was the stupid sexiest man in Hollywood, and we have the same genes, so I figured it would only be a matter of time if I did it the right way. With the help of a trainer and a lot of research, it took less than a year to get into a good enough shape where I felt I could confidently talk to a pretty girl. That coincided with graduation, so I was looking forward to college as a fresh start. Then Jim told me about Keri and changed my world.

I remember the conversation vividly. He graced us with his presence at my graduation party and asked if I had decided on going to Stanford. He smirked when I told him that I did.

He said, "Bro, I know you remember Ken and Lainey, well, Lainey has a sister who is just as hot as she is."

"So?" I said, annoyed.

"She's going to Stanford too."

He handed me his phone and showed me a picture of her from her Instagram. I was stunned into silence. She was gorgeous. Her eyes burst with personality. Her smile made her whole face light up. I was speechless.

He smiled and said, "I know, right? You should see their mother. Anyway, I want you to look after her over there. Maybe, look her up and make friends--or more." His smile turned to a smirk at that last comment. I sighed.

So, as I was leaving for school, Abby gave me a picture of her so I can look her up at school, as if I didn't already have her face burned into my soul. They told me that Ken was doing the same for Melanie and would give her my phone number so we can connect.

Waiting for her to reach out to me was excruciating. I worried every night about why she wasn't calling. After a while, I assumed she didn't want to be forced into a connection by Ken and Jim, so I let it go. When she called me to invite me to the party, I was shocked and excited.

***

I looked at the clock and it was only ten, so I took a chance and texted Melanie.

"It was great to meet you tonight."

Okay. It was nice and light. Nothing too heavy. Then I heard my brother's voice in my head, "Go after what you want. Don't be a pussy."

It was easy for him. He was always the best-looking guy in the room. I was the nerd brother. The brains to his brawn.

"Yeah, sorry it took so long." She replied.

I took a deep breath and decided to go for it.

"I got the feeling you don't really need tutoring. I liked you too. Would you like to have breakfast with me tomorrow?"

My heart raced. Seconds felt like hours. I felt like I was having a breakdown from the nerves. Of course, it was only a few seconds later that she replied.

"LOL. Was I that obvious? I'd love to have breakfast with you."

Bh76
Bh76
2,768 Followers
12