Loneliest Man Who Ever Lived Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Lunch?"

"I can't," said Goldie.

Can't? He had just seen her with his own eyes agree to have lunch with some guy named Oliver.

"Tonight, after work?" Harry asked.

"I can't," she said again, letting her hands roam all over his chest. "I'm flying out to Charlotte. How about Thursday? Thursday night, Harry?"

Harry nodded. It would have to do.

She kissed him so much. "I can't wait."

They left the storeroom together, almost bumping into a blonde woman who was walking by.

"Claire!" said Goldie, reddening.

"Goldie," said the other woman, looking at Goldie's flustered reaction, then Harry, then the open door behind them. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your... storeroom friend?"

Goldie blushed mightily. "Harry... Harry... this is my sister, Claire."

"Harry?" The blonde's eyebrows went up. "Harry Crater?"

"Yes," said Harry.

"Well, we've certainly heard a lot about you. You're supposed to be the smartest man on the planet," said Claire.

"Well, I don't know about that," said Harry.

"And modest, too," said Claire quickly, with a smile.

Harry chanced a quick look at Goldie's sister. If Goldie was pretty, then Claire was gorgeous. Goldie had pert, womanly breasts; but Claire's were larger, like a supermodel. She had long, slender legs, and her hair was a bright yellow color. She had gorgeous blue eyes, like her sister. And she was a few inches taller than Goldie.

"Harry, she's taken," said Goldie, seeing the play of emotions on Harry's face.

"Not for lunch I'm not," said Claire. "Do you have any plans for lunch, Harry?"

"Why..." Harry looked at Goldie. "No. I guess not."

"Good, I'll meet you at your workstation in an hour," said Claire, even as Goldie was staring open-mouthed at Harry. "See you then."

Harry watched as she walked away, wiggling her ass on her long shapely legs.

"Take a picture, Harry, it will last longer," said Goldie.

"Goldie-"

Goldie kicked him in the ankles and stomped off.

********

Harry learned more about Goldie's sister over lunch.

Claire MacPherson was a biomathematician at The Foundation. And what's more, she was a Fourther.

Goldie had a sister who was a Fourther?

"She didn't tell you?" Claire said.

Harry was forced to shake his head.

Claire sighed theatrically. "Well, it's still nice that little Goldie has finally found a friend," said Claire. They were sitting at an eatery in downtown Cambridge, one of Claire's "special places".

"Little Goldie?" Harry asked, still dumbfounded to be having lunch with such a gorgeous woman. Truth be told, Claire was prettier than Goldie. How had he, the ultimate loner, fallen upon such an embarrassment of riches?

"My little sister. I'm three inches taller than she is, in case you hadn't noticed."

Harry had noticed. It was all in the legs. Her glorious, long shapely legs which were encased in nude pantyhose.

"She was always a troubled girl," said Claire, munching on her sandwich.

"Troubled?"

"A restless spirit," said Claire. "Always getting into trouble. Very wild in her younger years. I think she must have bedded a quarter of the men at Wesleyan."

Harry dropped his soup spoon. "Why are you telling me this?"

"You want her. It's written all over you." She paused, looking at him. "You seem like a nice guy. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Hurt?"

"I love my sister dearly, Harry. Really, I do. But she devours men, Harry. She chews them up and spits them out."

"What does that mean?"

"She gets bored of men quickly. She tires of other men. It's just a matter of time before she tires of you. Frankly, I'm amazed she's stayed with Greg as long as she has," said Claire.

"Greg?"

"I think they are practically engaged. It would make my parents so happy, Harry. Little Goldie, finally settling down." She looked at his face. "You didn't know?"

Harry didn't know what to say.

"I... I...."

"It's really for the best, Harry. She's not your type. You need a stable woman. Do you know I got Goldie her job here?"

"You did?"

"She was floundering in one job after another. Finally I told her to work in recruiting. That's her skill, Harry, she's finally found her sweet spot. Do you know what her specialty is, Harry?"

He shook his head.

And she leaned forward and whispered, "Getting men to say yes."

Claire looked at his face. "She got to you, didn't she Harry? But you must have known she was just doing a job. I can see your type a mile away. You were lonely, weren't you? And Goldie took advantage of your loneliness, didn't she? Did she flatter you, Harry? Did she tell you how attractive you are? Did she do more than that? Be sure that she's done it with many men, Harry. Take my word for it, she's not the kind of girl for you."

Harry felt numb, as if he had been struck with a metal crowbar directly to his head. "What... what kind of girl should I be with, then?"

"Well, of course, a Fourther, Harry," said Claire. She reached out and touched his hand. "A woman who is really smart, just like you are. But then, if the rumors are true, no one is as smart as you are, are they, Harry? Imagine how smart your offspring would be, if you mated with a fellow Fourther." Her blue eyes were shining. She leaned closer to his face. Harry looked at her plush red lips. They reminded him of Goldie's. They moved closer, closer, closer....

And then Claire leaned back, and checked her chrono, and smiled. "Well look at the time! We'd better get back! This has been kind of a long lunch, hasn't it, Harry?"

********

Harry was in a daze that afternoon. He knew intellectually, of course, that Goldie always had a separate agenda with him. She had never hidden it. But he had nursed a hope that in addition to that, somehow, she also had feelings for him. Claire made it very clear that Goldie didn't. And then there was Greg....

As he walked down a white corridor of The Foundation, he found himself unexpectedly yanked into a storeroom.

"Hey!" he said, before he saw who it was.

It was Goldie.

"What do you think you're doing?" she demanded fiercely.

"What do you mean?"

"Going out with her."

"It was lunch, Goldie. And I asked you, but you were too busy with Oliver." He saw the accusation sting her. Good.

"That was different," said Goldie.

"Different how?" Harry asked.

"What I want to do with you can't be done over lunch," Goldie purred. "I missed you," she said. She moved her lips closer to him.

Harry remembered everything Claire had told him. About how manipulative Goldie was. About how many men she went through. About-

Her lips pressed against his, and all thoughts went out of his head. He hungrily grinded his lips against hers. Her lips were warm and moist and juicy. When she pulled back, she had a satisfied look. "Have you forgotten about her, now?"

Harry nodded.

They heard footsteps.

"I have to go," said Goldie.

"Goldie, just one thing-"

"Yes?"

"Are you getting married? To Greg?"

Goldie gave him an odd look. "What?"

"Are you engaged, to Greg?"

Goldie drew a deep breath. "No!"

"Are you marrying him?"

"No!" said Goldie. Understanding dawned in her eyes. "She told you, that, didn't she? That little bitch! I'll-"

At that moment a man wearing a blue jumpsuit entered the supply room.

"I'll get right on that, Mr. Crater," said Goldie, smiling as she walked to the door.

********

"I don't know what to believe, Carl," said Harry. He was taking his evening walk in Boston Common, and was connected to Carl via his voice comm. "Both Lev and Claire claim that Goldie is engaged to Greg. Goldie denies it."

"It doesn't matter," said Carl.

"Why not?"

"Because she's not interested in you. She has a boyfriend. She had a job, to bring you in. She brought you in."

"But she seems so sincere!"

"She's just being polite. You should be able to tell the difference," said Carl.

"She's going to see me two days from now, Thursday, after work."

"We'll see," said Carl.

********

On Wednesday Lev Bronstein called Harry over. "Medical says you haven't reported for your entrance exam."

"Yeah, well, I've been busy working on that analysis you asked for," said Harry.

"Make time for it. It's a job requirement. In fact, why don't you go now?" said Lev.

Truth be told, Harry didn't like doctors, and he certainly didn't like needles and having blood drawn. And as he wasn't even sure if he would be staying at this job for more than a few days, he wasn't anxious to have a medical exam.

"Lev, I will get to it," said Harry firmly.

Lev looked at him, as if he were going to argue the point further, but just nodded. Harry had never seen Lev to be so forceful about anything before.

Goldie was in North Carolina, so Harry didn't expect to see her, but he did see Claire. She came by his cubicle once a day to flirt with him.

"You know, I was the one who was supposed to be called Goldie," said Claire.

"Were you?" Harry asked.

"Yes. We were both born blondes," said Claire, touching her gorgeous hair. "Only years later, Goldie's fizzled out."

Harry didn't think it was very nice to say that Goldie's dark blonde hair had "fizzled out", but he just nodded.

"She's in North Carolina now, Harry. Do you know what she's doing there?"

"Yes," said Harry.

"Do you really?" she said, giving a sly smile. She walked away slowly, allowing Harry to admire her swaying hips.

"That Claire is really something," said Lev, rolling his chair next to Harry. "I'd go after her, if she weren't taken."

"Taken?"

"Yeah. She's seeing Ben, in recruiting. Didn't you know?"

Harry didn't. Now he was only more confused than ever.

********

"Harry hasn't gotten to completion," said Doctor Severin.

"It's only been three days," said Doctor Slattery. "95% of new subjects complete within two weeks."

"He's been sniffing around Goldie," said Severin.

"No, we can't have that," said Slattery.

"Should I reprogram her?" Severin asked. "To remove her attraction to him?"

"No," said Slattery. "We may still need that to get him to completion. Just keep her busy with other work, and reorient her a bit so she's more properly focused."

"And Harry Crater?"

"We'll give him a few more days to self-complete. If he fails, we'll take measures."

********

"You wanted to see me, Doctor Severin?"

It was Thursday morning. Goldie had just gotten back from her mission to Chapel Hill. She had recruited a neuroscientist who The Foundation wanted. It took only a day of flirting and persuasion to get him to sign up. She was very much looking forward to seeing Harry tonight.

And then she got word that Doctor Severin wanted to see her. In the relaxation chamber. It didn't make any sense.

"Yes, Goldie. I hear you were successful in Charlotte."

"Yep," said Goldie, with a smile.

"We're sending you out again this afternoon. Another scientist we need in Chicago."

"But Doctor Severin... I've been doing so much travelling lately... I had hoped to have a few days in the office, at a slower pace."

"I'm sorry, Goldie, but The Foundation is expanding at a rapid pace, and we need skilled scientists."

"But Doctor Severin, I'm so tired...."

"That's why I've called you here," said Doctor Severin. "Ten minutes in the chair and you'll be full of energy."

"I don't know, Doctor Severin. I don't think that's necessary." Ten minutes? The usual duration was two.

"You just said you were tired, didn't you?"

"Yes, well-"

"Then get in the chair, Goldie."

Goldie looked up, and saw the two men behind Doctor Severin, both wearing blue jumpsuits. Both blocking the exit. She nodded and sat down in the chair. "Maybe I do need a little pick me up."

"That's right, just relax," said Doctor Severin, moving to the control panel. The instruments started to hum. "You'll find this very invigorating, I promise...."

********

Harry got the invitation that morning, along with everyone else.

Doctor Slattery was holding a party at his mansion in Brookline this Sunday. All employees were invited.

"Are you going, Harry?" Lev asked.

Harry was conflicted. He had hoped to spend the weekend with Goldie. But he realized he had to attend.

He actually saw Goldie later that day, when she dropped by his cubicle.

"Harry," she said softly. He turned around and saw her. She looked wonderful. He would have kissed her if Lev hadn't been sitting two feet away.

"You're back," said Harry.

"Yes," said Goldie.

"I can't wait to-"

"Harry, can I see you in private, for a moment?"

They went to the supply room. That was fast becoming a regular meeting place for them. But after they kissed, Goldie told him the unpleasant news.

"They're sending you out, again?"

"My plane leaves in three hours," said Goldie.

"But we were going to get together tonight!"

"I know," said Goldie miserably.

He held her in his arms. "When are you coming back?"

"I'm not sure," she said, choosing each word carefully. "I'm going to try and make it for the party. You're going, aren't you?"

Harry nodded dully. "And afterwards?"

"We'll be together," she promised. They kissed, and Harry felt a warm glow. As Goldie turned to go, Harry said, "Goldie... when you go to these places....."

"You have a question, Harry?" she asked.

"What... What do you do there?" Harry asked.

"Is there a more direct question you'd like answered, Harry?" Goldie asked. She stood there, looking boldly into his eyes, with her arms on her hips. She seemed totally unafraid, totally unashamed, which made Harry feel ashamed in turn. He wasn't quite sure why.

"Do you want to know if I kiss other men, Harry? You want to know if that's part of my job description?" Goldie ask. "Did Claire tell you that? Did she tell you I was the company whore?"

"Not... in so many words," said Harry.

Goldie shook her head. "I love her, but we've been rivals for years. There was a thing that happened between us, long ago..." She looked into Harry's eyes. "The answer to the question you're too afraid to ask, Harry, is no. I don't kiss other men as part of my job. I flirt. I smile. I cajole, I flatter. But kissing is not part of my job description." And then she hugged Harry. "And the other thing we did? The last night, in my hotel room? Most definitely not part of my job description." And she looked at him with such intensity, with such sincerity, that Harry had no choice but to believe her.

********

On Friday, Harry saw three muscular men, in a daze, being led out of the building. He pointed them out to Lev.

"They got the treatment. It can be a bit disorienting, at first."

"I thought it was supposed to give them more mental energy. They looked confused," said Harry.

"The treatments do exactly what they are intended to do," said Lev, in a monotone.

"Then why did those men look so sleepy?"

"The treatments do exactly what they are intended to do," said Lev, in the exact same tone as he had said it the first time.

"Oh, I see," said Harry, "Thanks for making that clear to me, Lev." His eyes narrowed as he watched Lev fall into a conversation with another coworker. Lev's tone and body language completely returned to normal.

There was a woman who worked in Harry's cubicle group. Her name was Hannah Murray. Later that day, Doctor Severin appeared in their workgroup, flanked by two large men wearing blue jumpsuits.

"Hannah," he said softly.

Hannah turned to face him. She tried to hide the fear from her face. "Yes, Doctor Severin?"

"I have an interesting experiment I'd like to get a second opinion on, Hannah."

Hannah looked at Doctor Severin, and then the two men behind him. "Now, Doctor Severin?"

"Yes, Hannah Now."

She gulped, and nodded, walking off with him.

When they were gone, Harry turned to Lev. "What was that all about?"

"Sometimes Doctor Severin asks for volunteers from the staff for little experiments."

"What kind of experiments?" Harry asked.

"Nothing to be concerned about," said Lev, in a bored tone.

********

When Hannah returned, an hour later, her face was similarly blank. Harry went over to her and said, "Hannah? Are you all right?"

She looked at him blankly. "I am completely fine. Thank you so much for asking, Harry." And then she sat down and stared woodenly at her computer screen, and returned to work.

********

On Saturday, Harry discovered Castle Island. Not really a castle or an island, it was instead a peninsula of sorts, a spit of land sticking out into Boston Harbor. Parts of it looked even deep enough to drown in, which cheered Harry immensely.

It was all so confusing. He had been told repeatedly by Claire, by Lev, by Carl, that Goldie was not to be trusted. For all he knew she was off fucking another man in New Haven.

And yet, when he was with her... she seemed so sincere, so loving. Harry was supposed to be the smartest man in the world, and yet he couldn't see inside a woman's heart. His instincts told him that she was telling the truth. That she had feelings for him. Maybe she even loved him.

But Harry had been wrong before. He remembered Onnika. He remembered Erica. He remembered Alexandra. He remembered all the bitter lessons he had learned.

And then there was The Foundation itself. Harry was certain that there was more to this place than it seemed. The brain cell processes they had him working on had the potential for much more than simply releasing mental energy. He couldn't quite understand what they were up to, but it was more than just a process to make people more energetic.

And then there was that Relaxation Chair. Harry saw more than one tired coworker sit down into it in the lounge. After two minutes, they got up, totally reinvigorated. It was better than coffee, they said.

And yet, for that two minute period... their eyes were totally glazed. It was like they were hypnotized. They were unaware of everything around them. The machine above them cast a light on their head. What exactly was it doing to their brain?

Lev and some of the others had urged him to try it. Harry refused.

And then there was the subject of his medical exam. They were getting more and more insistent about it. Harry got the sense that he would have to make a decision about that soon. But first he had to see Goldie. And when exactly would he see her? She said she hoped to be at Mr. Slattery's party. Harry hoped for more than that, that he could see her privately, after the party. Then maybe he could get some of this figured out.

********

Doctor Slattery had an expansive estate on the edge of Brookline, just outside of Boston. His house looked as majestic as the Lincoln Memorial, with giant marble pillars in front. It was on 20 acres of prime land. Harry wondered where his wealth had come from. But after all, Doctor Slattery was a Fourther like him; coming into money wasn't hard for a Fourther. Only finding love was.

Harry immediately went looking for Goldie. There were several hundred people there. He was unaware that The Foundation had so many employees. It was odd seeing everyone in normal clothes. No one wore their blue jumpsuits and tall black boots. But he could tell who the guards and technicians were. The guards were big, muscular men, and the technicians...

"Ah, there you are, Harry," said Doctor Severin, putting an arm on Harry's shoulder. "So nice to see you. Are you having a good time?"

"Ah, yes," said Harry, looking around even as he spoke.

"Are you looking for something?" Doctor Severin asked. "Or someone?"

Harry stiffened. "No, not really. Well actually, Goldie mentioned she might be here."

"Then be assured she will," said Severin, staring at him with those dark eyes. "But in the meantime, there are so many other interesting... possibilities here. You know Hannah Murray?" He pointed to Hannah, who was talking to another woman by a snack table.