Lonnie's Enterrpise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Meg, it's Sam."

"God Sam ,I was afraid something had happened to you."

"Sorry, I've been out of town. In fact, I just checked my messages by remote because I'm still in Cleveland."

"Oh."

"You okay, Meg?"

"I've been better, but I'm okay."

"I'm sorry I can't be there."

"I am too. When will you be home?"

"I'm not sure, but I'm working on a project that may take a few more days."

"Call me when you get home okay?"

"I will. I've missed seeing you."

"I miss you too, Sam...bye." Sam hung up and just sat there. He would be so glad when things had changed so he could go home and see her again. Meg had called from her kitchen and sat there looking out of her window. She felt defeated and abandoned. Lonnie couldn't comfort her even if he was home. Sam could comfort her and she knew that, and she couldn't go down that road. On top of that, he wasn't home anyway. She'd talked to Miranda about her problems and that helped for a little while, but there was nothing that Miranda could do either except keep listening.

Chapter Six

When Lonnie got home that night he looked pale and exhausted. "Lonnie, are you getting sick?"

"No, I'm not getting sick."

"You're absolutely pale."

"Meg, I may have to close up and lose the business."

"Lonnie, I'm sorry to hear that, what happened?"

"My consultant's problems just got worse, and it's almost certain to spill over into my company."

"Lonnie, I know it isn't much help right now, but we can make it and you'll find something else."

"Damn it Megan, it isn't that simple."

"Then explain it to me."

"I can't right now."

"But why not, I'm not stupid."

"I know that. It's...I don't know what will happen tomorrow."

"I can't help you because I have no idea what you're talking about, and you're unwilling to explain it. That makes me feel more like the house maid than your wife."

"I can't explain what I don't know."

"You could explain some of it to me if you wanted to."

"No, I can't. I know what I'm doing Meg. The explanations will have to wait."

"Well, good luck then" and she left him sitting alone in the living room.

Their conversation had happened Tuesday night and Wednesday morning she called Sam and once again got his machine. "Sam, this is Meg. Something is going on with Lonnie and he won't tell me anything. God, I wish you were here so we could talk. Call me when you can...I miss you Sam...bye." Sam got her message that afternoon and once again didn't return her call. The next day Meg called him again, crying this time. "Sam, I need you, please call me. They've arrested Lonnie. Please, Sam?" Megan hung up and continued to cry for a while longer. When Sam got her message, he started to cry in front of an office full of people and made a hasty retreat to the men's room to get control of his emotions. This was tearing his heart out. He knew she was hurting and afraid. Once he was in control and had splashed water on his face, he toweled off and went out to talk to the people in the office, and then headed down to the police station to meet with Detective Moran. The two of them talked for some time and even got into a heated conversation, but when Sam left they shook hands and were still friends.

Sam made the drive home as fast as he could and called Megan as he was nearing his driveway. "Meg, it's Sam and I'm just pulling in the driveway."

"I'm on my way over Sam," and she hung up. He barely had time to unlock his door and step inside when she ran in behind him. She threw her arms around him and cried as he held her close to him. Neither of them tried to talk for a long time as she tried to get control of her nerves. Sam was a lifeline for her and she didn't want to let go. They made their way to the couch and sat next to each other holding hands as she tried to talk. "Sam, Lonnie's in jail charged with commercial espionage and conversion."

"Does he have a lawyer?"

"He's hired one, but not much has happened yet."

"He'll likely get out on bond."

"But he will still stand trial."

"Almost certainly unless of course he pleads guilty," Meg looked at him for a second and asked him, "You seem to know about this, how is that?" Sam looked at her wishing with all his heart that he could avoid telling her, but there was no way to do that. He turned to look more directly at her and took a breath.

"Meg...my name isn't, Sam Collins, it's Russ Andrews. I'm a private investigator and I was hired by Fairmont Holdings to look into the possibility that their confidential research data was being stolen." She looked at him in shock saying,

"Sam...Russ...whoever the hell you are, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I was investigating the loss of their trade secrets for almost nine months and that investigation led me to Lonnie."

"But Lonnie used to work for Fairmont Holdings."

"I know as a research chemist and department supervisor."

"Then Lonnie's in jail because of you."

"No. Lonnie is in jail because of Lonnie and the police. I don't arrest people, not even guilty people. I was finally able to figure out the line of events and followed them through the different people involved in the crime. Nobody made Lonnie what he is, that's a path that he chose himself." As he was talking she took her hand away from him and then she stood up.

"Damn you, you used us, you used me. You betrayed me, you bastard." She was heading for the door and he kept talking.

Meg, I didn't use you, I love you. I never expected things to turn out as they have. Please stop so we can talk about this."

"Damned if I'll talk to you ever again" and she slammed the door before he could say anything more. It was even worse than Russ imagined it could be. If only she would have listened to him a little longer. If only she would have given him a chance to tell her how much he loved her. He couldn't tell her the details of the investigation, at least not until Lonnie had gone to trial or pled guilty. There was no point in calling her because she would never talk to him or return his calls so there was nothing he could do now but wait and hope that one day he could at least explain how it all developed.

It took Russ quite a while to clear his head and then he called his office, "Monty how is the team coming with the report?"

"It's almost done, Russ. We'll fax it to you within the hour."

"Thanks. Everybody did a good job and I'll thank them personally in a few days. Right now I have something else going that will keep me away. You can contact me the usual way if you have to."

"Thanks boss, I'll tell them. See you in a few days then." Russ hung up and poured himself a stiff drink before going to his office to do paperwork. He had a lot of forgetting to do and he had to think about selling his house, because he couldn't continue to live next door to the love of his life knowing she hated him now. Russ worked until his eyes wouldn't focus anymore and then went to bed, the bed he and Meg had shared at the store.

The next couple of weeks were awful for Megan as she shuttled back and forth between home the jail and his attorney's office. The police had served a warrant and searched her house from top to bottom and that just reinforced her hate for the man that she thought she was in love with just a short time ago. For those same two weeks Russ paced, worked almost constantly and was driving his staff crazy, driven by the need to escape into other cases they were working on. Lonnie's trial had been scheduled to begin in six weeks and Russ just wanted that over with. Then maybe he could begin the process of forgetting. The most frustrating part was he had lied very little to Lonnie or Megan. He had however failed to tell them all of the most important things that would inevitably alter their lives so much.

As the weeks unfolded, Russ had to accept the fact that he couldn't sell his house and furniture that he and Meg had shopped so hard for not that long ago. It truly was as he had told her. Each piece meant something special to him right down to the sheets and the bathroom towels. He didn't know how he was going to continue living next door to her, but he did know he wasn't leaving, not any time soon anyway and then not willingly.

Chapter Seven

It was only a couple of weeks until Lonnie's trial. He had talked with the prosecutor a few times about his upcoming testimony, and he had his notes in order and memorized. All he had to do was provide details as the attorneys asked their questions. Not all that difficult, except he knew that Megan would be in the courtroom watching him testify against her husband and hating him just that much more. The prosecutor was comfortable with the evidence, and felt pretty confident of a guilty verdict, but he had no way to know what the final charge he would be convicted on or what the penalty would be.

Russ was at his office in town when his assistant came in. "Russ, I have some news."

"Hit me with it."

"Lonnie Hargrove is pleading no contest to conversion."

"That a deal the prosecutor proposed?"

"Apparently so."

"So no trial."

"No, they've agreed to ten years before possibility of parole."

"Not great, but not that bad either. Thanks, Bud."

"Anytime."

"Listen, how are the other two cases coming?"

We're tying up the loose ends on the Laughlin divorce thing, but the other one is going nowhere."

I'm going to take a little time off, but if you need me don't hesitate to call, I'll stay within range."

"You got it. Go get laid or something."

"Not a bad idea, I'll be in touch."

Russ went home and stripped out of his work clothes and put on jeans and a sweatshirt and went out and made strong coffee and then topped it off with a large shot of rum and some cream. He had just kicked his feet up onto the coffee table ready to overdose on rum when his phone rang. "Damn it, can't they get along one day without calling me?" He put his coffee down and stopped just before picking it up. He wasn't even aware that he was talking to himself as he said, "Hell with it, let the machine get it" and turned to go back to his coffee. From behind him he heard, "Sam, this is Miranda...I was wondering if..." and he picked up the phone.

"Miranda, hi."

"Oh, you are there."

"I'm here how are you?"

"I'm skating on very thin ice just by calling you."

"I'll just bet. To what do I owe this honor?"

"Aren't you the flowery one? I wanted to come see your house."

"After what's happened, I'm surprised you're even talking to me."

"Yeah, well I surprise a lot of people, it's just my way."

"I'm sitting here having coffee and rum, so come on over."

"Don't drink it all, I'm on my way."

"You better not let Megan see your car in my driveway."

"That's why I'm calling now she's in town with Lonnie and won't be home for quite a while."

"Pull on through to the back anyway just in case. I'll watch for you."

"See you in twenty minutes."

Russ finished his coffee and waited for Miranda. He heard her car door and was holding the door for her as she approached, "Hi, handsome."

"Hi, it's good to know I still have one friend."

"I'll just bet that list is a little short right now."

"You are part of a group of one. Come share a bottle of rum with me."

"That's the best pickup line I've heard in a long time." Russ fixed them both a large cup of rum coffee and then added cream and led the way to the living room. "Now the only way to drink this is like this" and he once again put his stocking feet on the coffee table.

"Looks like that should work" and she joined him.

"Okay, pretty lady and best friend, what's up?"

"You mean only friend."

"In my case it's the same thing."

"I really do want to see your house."

"And?"

"Smart ass, okay I want to hear your side of this disaster, too, if you'll share it with me."

"Why not, you're the only one willing to listen to my side it seems. House first?"

"Sure why not, but I'm bringing my coffee along."

"By all means."

As he showed her around, he stopped and said, "Meg and I got the sheets and spread at the Penney's Home Store." Pretty soon he was pointing and said, "The towels came from Sears after much discussion about which ones."

"And she won."

"Yes, and she won." On they went as he pointed to different things and told her the story behind it. He told her about the mattress story and Miranda thought that was pretty funny.

"Sam...no, I know better because Meg told me that much. I mean Russ, Meg did a great job for you."

"I think so too."

"Okay time to refill the coffee and tell your tale."

"You promise not to storm off calling me names at least until I'm done?"

"I promise not to storm off. I may call you names, but we'll have to see about that part." They resumed their place on the couch and took a drink from their cups before he began his tale. "It all started when my firm was hired to..."

"Wait what firm?"

"Oh. I'm a private investigator and my business is located in Akron. I have a staff of three full time investigators and one secretary."

"I'll bet she's over worked and under appreciated."

"Now stop interrupting, or we'll be here all night and drunk on our asses."

"You don't scare me, now go ahead."

"We were hired by Fairmont Holdings to look into loss of sensitive data."

"The Fairmont Holdings that Lonnie used to work for."

"That one, yes. It took us a very long time, but we finally found a leak. As is so often the case, the answer was staring us in the face the whole time. Without mentioning names, there was an employee there that was about the skinniest guy I've ever seen walking, and only about five feet four or five tall. He found a way to make it look like he was locking up the records department at night, and then while the room was dark he would cover the security camera and then turn the lights back on, and copy the files he was interested in, reverse the process and leave all within a few minutes. It was so simple, it was embarrassing that it took us so long to pick up on it. He was so damn small, that nobody ever noticed him it seemed."

They took a long drink and then he continued. "Then we hit another road block. We couldn't figure out what he was doing with the stolen data. In fact, it took us weeks to figure he was scanning it and walking off with it on a flash drive. Once we knew that, we were still stumped trying to figure out who his market was. He was just a clerk so we knew he couldn't use it."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Formulas and notes from their research lab, products that they were developing. Lonnie would take that information and use it to try and beat them in the development. It saved Lonnie millions in research costs. I say all of this like it was a smooth development, but you can't imagine what we put into it to sort it all out."

"So tell me about your part, how you came to connect with Lonnie and Megan and so forth. I assume you never did own a company down south."

"No, that part was true."

"And your divorce and so forth?"

"All true. For example the company was my dads, and when he died, I ran it for awhile, but hated it. I was a cop in Steubenville before Dad died, and that's what I liked to do. So I sold the business and used that money to start my own investigation company up here."

"Then you just happened to meet Lonnie."

"Not hardly, I was tailing him when he pulled into the restaurant parking lot that day, so I pulled in and followed him in. We struck up a conversation and ended up becoming friends. Miranda, I really liked Lonnie, but I had a job to do too. I had to let my investigators do a lot of the work, because I screwed up and got too close to him both physically and personally. I should never have had dinner with him that first time. It was stupid and amateurish, and it was clouding my judgment."

"So what part did seducing Megan play in this drama?"

"Is that what she said,"

"Pretty much."

"That isn't how it was at all. I knew very little about her until Lonnie invited me to their house the first time, and that's when I met you. It wasn't part of the investigation at all. I really was enjoying myself. Like I said, I was too close to the suspect to be very effective. Lonnie wasn't about to admit what he was doing even to Megan, so he wasn't about to tell me anything."

Chapter Eight

Miranda held up her empty cup, so they paused and fixed more drinks before picking up where they left off. "So you had all this money from your dads business, and bought this house for cash because..."

"More wrong facts. I was living in an apartment, just as I had told Meg. It was a nicer one than I let on, but it was an apartment and I really was looking for a house. In the beginning, I told Lonnie about looking for a house to make conversation and to play the role of someone with money thinking it would keep him relaxed around me. Like I said, the money from the business went into my company. This house is mortgaged just like so many others. I spent most of the last of my free cash on the furniture. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly broke, but I can't go out and pay cash for a two hundred thousand dollar house either."

"Why didn't you tell Megan?"

"I had to play the role for everybody, to continue the lie. My story had to hold together."

"Of course, that was silly of me. So you buying this house had nothing to do with the investigation."

"That's right. I had one hell of an argument with the prosecutor about buying this house, because he was afraid it would taint my evidence, but I bought it anyway because I like it, the price was reasonable, and...and, because it was close to Megan. I didn't tell the prosecutor about that last part though."

"Aha so now we're getting down to it. But now it looks like you're getting rid of Lonnie so you can have his wife."

"I can see where that would be a reasonable conclusion, but that's not it. Miranda, I wasn't looking for romance, and I had no intention of getting involved with any woman, especially with a married woman. I knew I was playing with fire, and I was trying so hard to not get in over my head with her. It just didn't work out as I had planned."

"I'll just bet not. Megan is totally convinced you used her to get to Lonnie. Russ, she was in love with you. You did know that didn't you?"

He was looking at her intently and answered, "No, I didn't know that, she never told me."

"Well of course not, like you said she's married. Are you sure you're an investigator?"

"Not a very good one it seems. I haven't been worth a damn ever since I met her."

"Do you love her?"

"Yes, and I told her that as she was storming out of here."

"I don't think it registered with her."

"Great, I had that one hope that she would think about that and reconsider talking to me."

"Not likely, I don't think."

"Shit." Russ didn't know what to think or say, and Miranda wasn't sure where this was all going or what difference it would make anyway, except she wanted to know.

"Russ it's none of my business but...did you two ever..."

"No, of course not."

"Don't say of course not, because at this very moment, there are probably a thousand improper trysts taking place just in Akron."

"I know, we investigate them all the time."

"I'm sure you do. Did you know they were going to arrest Lonnie?"

"They didn't confide in me. I gave them what we had uncovered and Fairmont wanted to keep us on until there were arrests made. I didn't know about Lonnie's arrest until Megan called me. I did have a strong idea it was coming though."

"Wasn't it kind of hard keeping that from her?"

"It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life."