Lost at Sea Bk. 02 Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What was our agreement? The contract?" Caine slowly took a few steps, not caring that he was naked and half covered in blood.

"A room, and as much beer as you could drink!" Chance snapped.

"And five crowns a week," Caine added. "Cheapest bouncer anywhere."

"You never took the money! You've just been taking your pay stubs and not collecting!" Chance was starting to look sick.

"I asked you to hang onto it for me,' Caine nodded. "Did you?"

Chance's mouth moved, but no words came out.

"Should be a pretty good chunk of change by now. I'm not sure how much exactly, but I kept all those pay stubs," Caine shrugged.

"A-all?" Chance blinked.

"Yup," Caine smiled. "How's it work again? I'm supposed to sign the slip to show you've given me the money, and you keep them for your expense records so the counting house knows you aren't skimming? You wouldn't want Miss Mary to think you were stealing from her, right? So you go get the money, and I'll start signing the slips."

"Mary? How do you know..." A deeper horror slowly crawled across Chance's face. "You can stay. They can stay!"

"Don't want to," Caine shook his head. "You're right, it's too dangerous."

"Caine, I... don't... Please,' Chance was looking unsteady on his feet.

Caine groaned as he picked up an overturned chair and righted it, sliding it behind Chane's legs. The shorter man sat down and put his head in his hands. Then he slowly started laughing mirthlessly. "You're ruthless. I'd never have guessed you had this in you. Fuck."

Caine shrugged. "I'm nothing. You did this to yourself, Chance. I knew you were cooking the books. Hell, we all know. I just didn't care until now. So, get me my money, I'll keep this to myself, and I'll be on my way."

"I don't have it. Not all of it," Chance said, defeated.

"Hmm. I bet we could set up some kind of payment arrangement through the counting house," Caine suggested.

"No," Chance said quickly. "No, that won't work."

"Why not, Caine asked. He knew exactly why but enjoyed watching Chance squirm.

"They'll... they'll notice the numbers don't make sense," Chance admitted.

"So you'll just have to owe me?" Caine suggested. "Call it a private loan? We just need a notary."

Chance looked up at him like he was watching Caine transform before his eyes. "You're a loan shark now?"

"No, a loan shark would charge interest." Caine's eyes were benign, but his smile was full of teeth. "I'm only going to blackmail you."

_______________________

"I am ashamed tae say that some of them, I dinnae even know," Captain Vex said solemnly. "But I want tae."

The crew was gathered around the rows of graves the swabs had dug. The fallen had been laid into them, wrapped in old sailcloth and partially covered in earth to hide the horrific injuries that had killed them. Only the faces were visible. The crew all held their cups and their words while the captain did her best to eulogize more than a dozen deaths.

"What I want," Captain Vex continued, "Is tae hear their stories before we lay them tae rest. I want us all tae know who died so that we could survive." She stepped up to the first grave in the row. "This is Camilla Craff. We all called her Cammy. She was with the Kestrel for two years. I recruited her outtae the Camberly isles. Her mother was a seamstress and her father was a crab fisherman. She was a deft hand with a needle or a rope, and she was never without a smile." The Captain swallowed back the tears that were forming in her eyes. "She always wanted children, but she was barren. She made up for it by trying tae mother everyone around her." Captain Vex smiled wistfully. "She'd only been aboard for three weeks when she decided tae bring me a blanket while I was at the helm when the winds picked up. I could tell she was nervous tae approach her Captain for the first time, but it dinnae stop her. She'd made up her mind tae be sure I stayed warm. After that, she decided it was her job. Any time the winds picked up, I knew she'd come around." Captain Vex wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "It's always going tae be colder at the helm now." She raised her cup, and the crew raised thiers. Then she stepped to the next grave as Cammy's friends began their work with shovels and sad eyes.

"I dinnae know him," she admitted, looking down into the next hole. A children's story book lay on the chest of the cloth-wrapped body at the bottom. "I think his name was... Jacob?" Captain Vex said. "Who knew him?" Only one hand in the crowd raised. "Tell me about him," Belita said, gesturing the dark-skinned sailor forward.

"Uh, Jodi be my name," the fallen man's friend said, looking around at the crew, feeling out of place. "Jake and I, joined up with the Kestrel in Barcola, we. Grew up there, we. Were born in the mountains, we, during the war. Spent our early years running messages and scouting. Scouts always ran in pairs, and made a good team, we. Jake, he made up hand signs so could talk, we, without giving away our positions. Loved stories, he. Never did learn to read, he, but loved being read to. Wanted to see the world, he. Was the one who convinced me to become a sailor, he. Took to it like a duck to water, he. Still can't even tie a mooring hitch, I. Don't know what I'm going to do without him to fix my knots. Never stopped using those hand signs we'd made up to talk to each other. It was our own private language. Guess I'm the only one who knows it now." Jodi ran out of words. His hands shook on his cup.

The Captain raised hers. The crew echoed the motion and the Captain squeezed Jodi's shoulder. "My father spoke with his hands too. I want tae learn Jacob's language. Tell me more, later." Jodi nodded, and took a shovel from a nearby swab. As the Captain moved on to the next grave, Jodi filled the grave of his oldest friend.

Down the rows Captain Vex went, listening to the stories of her crew, telling as many as she could about those she knew well. Tears fell without shame. The rum flowed. Everyone was beyond tired from the terrible night before and the day's work, but no one was going to leave until the last grave was filled and the last story told.

Something about the ritual of burial and grieving seemed to break the damn of numbness and horror that had held the crew in it's grim since the battle against the Grindylow. The Captain could feel it. The sadness was there, but the hollow despair was lifting. The crew was feeling the loss of their comrades, and bonding through the heartache and communal pain. As the drinks and tears flowed, some glimmer of hope began to take root in her exhausted crew. She was glad for it, and gave them exactly the Captain they needed to help them through this, but she did not feel what they felt. Her heart was still a hollow pit, and she felt like it would never be filled again.

_______________________

Jack walked Bella to the pair of tents that were next to each other at the edge of the makeshift camp. Bella seemed a little confused and surprised. "You and Will set up your tents next to each other?"

"No," Jack said. "Morant's porters did that. We were busy and I asked them to set up for us. I guess they don't know about Will and I's... history."

"That or they do know, and are wanting to mess with you," Bella smirked.

"Or that," Jack admitted.

"Should we move the tent?" Bella asked.

"No, it's fine," Jack shook her head.

"I guess you two are getting along better now," Bella smiled.

"In a manner of speaking," Jack agreed, then sighed. "No. Not really. All of our problems are still there, and I think they're worse than I ever realized before. We've just agreed to ignore them for now. We thought it would be best to focus on the job. It's even more important now that it is about survival. Our personal issues can wait."

"Where is Will, anyway?" Bella asked. "He was at the funeral, but I figured he'd beat me back to the tent."

"I didn't see him," Jack said. "Are you... staying with him?" there was an unspoken question in her voice.

Bella rarely saw Jack so uncertain. She smiled gently. "Yes. Are you alright with that?"

Jack was poised, but there was a tension behind her eyes. "Yes, of course. It's the way things have already been this whole trip. Besides, I have Quinn."

"He wasn't at the funeral," Bella said. "Where did he go?"

"I had a job for him," Jack said.

Bella noticed the evasive answer and gave Jack an arch look, but let it go. There were more important things to talk about. "You and Will are going into the jungle tomorrow?"

"Yes," Jack said.

"I'm worried about both of you," Bella admitted.

Jack seemed a little surprised. "This isn't the first time you've waved us off when we went into a jungle."

"Yes, but you always had a plan. Equipment. Maps,

Bella said. "And you had each other."

"We still do," Jack shook her head.

"It isn't the same," Bella struggled with the right words. "I remember what you said about not going on expeditions with people you don't trust."

"I trust Will," Jack reassured her.

"That isn't the problem," Bella said pointedly.

Jack winced, then sighed. "I know."

"He might be able to ignore everything so you two can work together, but I think part of that is because he doesn't know what to do, so he doesn't want to talk about it. You know how he gets when he's at an impasse," Bella pushed.

Jack nodded slowly. "You're right."

"So, this is dangerous!" Bella spread her hands wide. "You don't have a map, you don't have the right equipment prepared, and you're both just ignoring years of bad blood so you don't have to fight."

"Well, as far as jungles go, this one isn't bad," Jack said. Even as she said it, she knew her reassurance was weak.

"Oh really?" Bella said flatly.

"It's an island," Jack explained. "There aren't going to be any large land predators here. Maybe alligators, if they were able to island hop this far, but that's doubtful."

"I want to do a reading before you leave," Bella said. "In the morning. I'll feel better if I have some idea of how things are going to be. Maybe I can help."

Jack shrugged. "Fine with me."

Bella bit her lip. "I'll... need energy. After the shaping spell with the key earlier, I'm completely drained. I haven't had the time or the right state of mind to gather any more energy."

Jack's brows rose. "Bella, are you asking me to sleep with you?"

Bella looked torn. Her brows furrowed, and after a moment she shook her head. "No. It's... too soon for that."

Jack looked sad but nodded. "I understand. What do you need from me."

"I want to draw a siphon sigil on you, so that when you're with Quinn I can drain the energy," Bella explained.

Jack looked amused. "I'm rather tired, but I suppose I could. For you."

Bella rifled through her bag and retrieved a red grease pencil. "We should go into your tent."

"Oh?" Jack smirked. "Where are you going to draw on me?"

Bella looked nervous for a split second, then narrowed her eyes. If Jack wanted to play, Bella was fine with that. A small smile played across her lush lips. She stepped closer and traced the back end of her pencil down Jack's shirt. "This first one goes here," she said, lightly dragging a circle between Jack's breasts.

Jack held back a smile, and didn't step away. The two women enjoyed the tension of each other's closeness. They'd set their boundaries, but they were both in the mood to push them. "And the second on?"

"Lower," Bella smirked.

Jack pulled the flap of her tent open and politely waited for Bella.

_______________________

Janie's eyes slowly opened. The painkillers Cerise had given her worked well, but also made her very sleepy. She'd barely been awake all day. Tonya was in the room, packing her meager possessions into a few handbags with a lot of fervor and pent up anger.

"Going somewhere?" Janie asked sleepily.

"Yeah. You are too," Tonya spat.

"What?" Janie blinked, propping herself up on her elbow and trying to focus. "Where are we going?"

"Not sure," Janie said bitterly. "Chance is kicking us out."

Fear slid up Janie's spine. "Why?!" she asked, trying not to panic. "Is it about Bella's room?"

Tonya sighed. "Yeah. And the baths."

"What happened in the baths?" Janie asked.

"Same thing," Tonya shrugged. "I did it again."

"It wasn't your fault!" Janie said, sitting up slowly. "Well, the first time wasn't. Wait, why did it happen again?"

"I don't know," Tonya shrugged. "I... I was trying to see if it would be different this time."

"This time? Wait, that means you and Caine... again?" Janie's cheeks reddened.

Tonya nodded. "Ever since blowing up Bella's room, I haven't been able to fucking cum! I tried everything! I thought maybe it was about Caine somehow, so I convinced him to give it another go.. I was right! I had... well, it was amazing. And then I blew up... and he... well, I sorta... killed him."

Jaine's eyes went wide. "What?!"

Tonya's shoulder's started shaking, and she shook her head back and forth in sorrow and confusion. "He's... fine. Now. I don't understand it. Janie, I watched him die. It was my fault. I killed him, and then he just got back up."

Janie's mouth opened, then closed, then opened again. "Start from the beginning."

"I don't even know how," Tonya swallowed. "We were fucking, and I finally came, and it felt amazing, and something... the energy just... burst. It threw Caine across the room. He hit his head against the wall and... Janie there was blood everywhere! I saw his brains! He was dead!"

"And now he isn't?" Janie was at a loss for words.

Tonya nodded. "I feel like I'm dreaming. Or crazy. I was just screaming and saying stupid stuff because I couldn't even think, and then everyone rushed in. Cerise said he's fine, and then Chance showed up and kicked us out. Well, not Caine. Just you and me."

"What did I do?" Janie blinked.

"Nothing, you're just... attracting trouble I guess," Tonya shrugged.

"Alright. I suppose I can go back to Fort Deliverance," Janie rubbed her eyes, trying to think of what her next steps would be.

"I don't have anywhere to go," Tonya's shoulders started shaking again.

"I'll take care of you, don't worry," Janie reassured her. "I'm sure Caine will help too."

"I don't know. I killed him, and cost him his home and his job. I don't think he's going to want to help me." she wiped her eyes and tried to get a handle on herself.

"Come here," Janie said, patting the bed next to her. Tonya dropped the bag of clothes she'd been clutching and went to sit on the bed. Janie put her arms around the young witch. "You... blew me up too, remember?"

Tonya winced and nodded. "Yeah."

"And it sounds like I lost my job and my room also," Janie shrugged.

Tonya sighed. "I'm so sorry, Janie"

Janie smiled. "Do I seem like I'm mad at you?"

Tonya shook her head quietly and sniffed. "I don't know why you're not."

"Because it isn't your fault. You're my friend. I'm going to help figure out what's going on with you, and you're going to help me deal with the price on my head. We're a team now."

Tonya's smile and laughter were interrupted by sobs. They held onto each other for a few minutes, letting Tonya's emotions run their course. Eventually she wiped her eyes. "I'm afraid I might have accidentally turned Caine into a zombie."

Janie took a breath. She could tell Tonya was joking, but her blood ran cold anyway. She'd heard of witches being burned for admissions like that. "Tonya, don't say that. Even if you believe it, don't say it, ever. Alright?"

Tonya was clearly surprised by Janie's reaction, but nodded. "I'm really scared, Janie. What are we going to do?"

"Well, it sounds like first we're going to pack," Janie said, slowly pulling herself out of bed with a yawn. "Give me a hand."

___________________________

Jack tossed her hat into the corner and slowly unbuttoned her shirt. It had been hot enough that she wasn't wearing an undershirt. Inch by inch, smooth, tanned skin faded to cream where the sun rarely kissed it. She watched Bella with heat in her eyes as she undid her last button and slowly spread her shirt until her nipples were barely covered. The swell of her pert breasts pushed against the fabric as she took a deep breath. Bella smiled appreciatively, letting her gaze travel down Jack's body. Her trim stomach had lines and definition that Bella had always envied, but now they were even more pronounced. Jack's body had lost much of the softness it once had. She was leaner all over. Still, Bella's eyes were drawn to the curve of her impressively perky breasts. When unconfined by clothes, Jack's breasts were surprisingly large for her frame, and yet didn't sag or displace much at all. They were perhaps a bit smaller than they'd been years ago, but it was hard to tell due to how they fit on her body. Her nipples sat high and proud, with a slight upward tilt that put Bella in the mind of a snooty noble with her nose in the air. Once, it had been a thing Bella had enjoyed teasing Jack about. Now, seeing the indentation of Jack's hardening nipples just barely hidden behind the fabric of her shirt and remembering that playful banter sent an unexpected lance of heartache through her.

It had been years since Bella had seen Jack like this, and the swell of old emotions took her by surprise. She pushed them aside in her mind, deciding to simply enjoy the moment. She took a moment to clear her head by kneeling in a corner and lighting a lantern. It's flickering glow cast Jack in sensuous shadows while she waited. Bella stood up. The tent was tall enough in the middle for both of them, but only if they were close.

Bella reached out and ran her fingertips down Jack's stomach, feeling the play of her lean muscles as she tensed. Jack had always been ticklish, but she didn't pull away. She just arched one perfectly manicured eyebrow at Bella again.

"This is... really difficult," Bella admitted.

"I don't expect you to-" Jack began.

"I know. You never would. That isn't it. I want... more. So much more. It just isn't right yet," Bella said sadly.

Jack nodded. "There is so much we have not talked about."

"Exactly," Bella said. "I'm still very angry at you. When I think about everything, I feel... well, it isn't good. I need to deal with that."

"Sounds like I need to deal with that," Jack corrected.

"Help would be nice,' Bella said with a tight smile. "It might involve me yelling at you."

"I'd expect nothing less. I deserve it, and more," Jack said sadly.

"Why, Jack! Why?!" Bella burst out, unable to hold back the rising tide she'd been bottling up for weeks, and years. "Everything was going so well! I was happy! We were happy! You had me, and Will too! He and I were friends, and it looked like we might be becoming more, just like you said you hoped for! You just... fired a cannon through the whole thing!"

"I know," Jack said, resigned. "I thought I was doing the right thing. I still do. My reasons haven't changed. I just wish I'd... handled the aftermath differently. I was angry when you refused to trust me. My pride was hurt."

"My life was hurt!" Bella snapped. "I'd never been happy before! I'd never been not scared before! Then you came along and made everything seem so... perfect, and then you took it all away without even an explanation! Why would I trust you after that?"

"Because before I left, I asked you to," Jack said simply. "Seems silly now, but it mattered a great deal then."

"Any kind of warning would have been nice," Bella glared.

Jack nodded slowly. "It would have."

"Are you ever going to explain it?" Bella demanded, on the verge of tears.

Jack sighed. "I told you, it was to save your life."

"I saved my life!" Bella said fiercely. "I worked the ritual, and stopped the... whatever it was. The thing in my head."