Lost in the Light Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She closed her eyes against the bright sunlight. This felt wrong. But her mind could not give her a reason not to proceed other than that they were shadow elves. Her trials within Zecair were still fresh in her memory. As she closed her eyes she could still feel the pain, the humiliation, the violation, and the terror all over again. However there was a vague fugue element to it as if she was witnessing it happen to someone else. But she had done those things, even though she had not wanted too. It was a troubling thought to reconcile her own mind and thoughts with those something else committed while in her body. Whatever presence the Demon Blood drug had placed inside her, it had given her compulsions she would never have had otherwise. This singular aspect is what gave her the strength to reconcile that horrible time. It was what allowed her reason to win out against her anger. It was what also allowed her to appreciate Tamain's position – as a non-corrupted his frustration with his people must be as great as her wrath against them.
The new camp was set up by mid morning. The previous night Riyarra had ordered they pack up and relocate so this meeting could take place without giving away their interests. All of the patrols had been issued new orders, and the unit had marched south away from the mountainside and the Monastery. If all went well, she was hoping to allow for a little celebration for her Knights and give them the opportunity to relax and get to know their new comrades in arms. It would be difficult, but she made sure she had met with each Knight in turn before today. She told them what was to come, and read their expressions when they learned of the proposed alliance with rogue Zecairins. Surprise was the most common reaction, followed by uncertainty, disapproval, but acceptance none the less. They all had sharp minds, and could see the tactical advantage to allying themselves to the enemy of their enemy. Valel had aided her efforts by relating the story of his encounter with the demon spawn. Heralding The Discarded's brave tale earned them some respect with her Knights, and some healthy skepticism as to what they truly were. Riyarra had a more crude goal in mind – she needed Tamain's power. If he could slay a demon-spawn he could help assault this monastery.

Riyarra ran through certain strategies and tactics for dialogs of what she would say to him. But before long she was no longer entreating Tamain of the Discarded in her mind, but whatever brute of a human ruled that Monastery and who had held Liam's leash. A word came to her thoughts againDisruptor. It was an odd title, but Liam had always been cryptic. Revealing enough to say what he needed to, if only one could translate his code.

A pair of figures appeared on the opposite tree line and Riyarra sat up. A hooded figure, most likely a Zecairin elf, walked cautiously behind Lysia. Lysia herself seemed nervous once they entered the small clearing. Riyarra felt something was amiss. It was time to determine what. She leapt down, stretched her legs, and proceeded to meet them midway. Her swords had been left at the base of the tree. She wouldn't be needing them, she had to keep reminding herself. This was simple dialog.

Lysia seemed to set at ease when she saw Riyarra approach, but upon seeing her alone started to look to the trees around them. She was clever, Riyarra mused to herself. So Riyarra paused and waved to someone off to her left, and Twenyl also approached from the trees to meet them. The four of them approached each other in the middle, and Riyarra noticed Lysia was leading the Zecairin by his hand on her shoulder. This was odd, and she paused a few feet shorter, out of range of a sword should it suddenly appear. Twenyl caught her hesitation and looked from one to the other.

"It's all right," Lysia said. "We didn't come alone, but we didn't come to fight either. In fact, we brought a few barrels of human wine as a gesture of peace."

Twenyl arched an eyebrow, leaned forward on his walking stick, and looked to his Queen. Riyarra was still trying to push the paranoia and tension out of her spine. Eventually she managed a few more steps closer to a respectable distance. Twenyl was already there, looking at her patiently. Lysia gently took her charge's hand off her shoulder.

"She's here and she brought our Cleric," Lysia said softly. The hooded man nodded and slowly pulled back his hood. Tamain looked forward blankly, his once black eyes were now a milky white. Both Riyarra and Twenyl recognized him as the spell caster that had attacked them on the mountain path, and each had a wary look of annoyance. Twenyl's old face was wearing a frowning mask of outright disapproval.

"Ah, the old man," Tamain said softly with a knowing smile as he turned to look in Twenyl's general direction. The wind seemed to pick up randomly around him tousling his short black hair about. Riyarra shifted and folded her arms over her muted green leather vest. Her emerald eyes were fierce and angry, and they bored into this Zecairin. Tamain took a deep breath and closed his eyes briefly.

"Where to begin..." he sighed, and then chuckled softly. "First, I should apologize for my actions on the mountain path. It was not very friendly of me. All I wanted from you was information about the extraordinary thing you have accomplished. Your lives were never in danger. But even so, I found myself in a difficult position. Do I listen to the lessons of my ancestors, and take the information I wanted at sword point, unwilling to trust the enemy of my fore bearers, and their fore bearers? Or do I attempt to break away from the chains of the past and approach you both with an offering of friendship? Would you have accepted it? Could you have broken the chains of mistrust and fear forged throughout the centuries by your own ancestors? No... The fear in Queen's Riyarra's voice when we first threatened you told me you expected the worst from us. And therefore, my decision was unfortunately the right one. I regret our two people have come to treat each other this way. If you will accept my apology, perhaps in time you can also accept my hand in trust and friendship. If I cannot have that, will you at least settle for peace?" Tamain offered his hand out to the air.

Riyarra's cold blank stare was unreadable. Lysia had not seen her like this before, and it made her fidget. Twenyl's brow furrowed, but he seemed more interested in how Riyarra would react to this.

"I accept your hand in peace," Riyarra said sternly, and she took his hand.

"You are... disappointed?" Tamain said inquisitively, as he tilted his head to one side. Riyarra slowly released his hand, and he slowly turned to Twenyl's general direction and offered it to the cleric as well. "I may be temporarily blinded but I am not diminished." He smirked casually. "I was never good with a sword you see, and I am not always a brigand on the roads. One is a distraction, one is a regrettable means to a living."

"But you are the demon-slayer?" Riyarra said with certainty. Or was this some fluke?

"The lady Knight Iala, deserves as much credit for the deed. It was her skill and bravery that kept the monster occupied and intent on her. Had she not, I would not have been able to strike it down." Tamain did not withdraw his hand when it was not taken. "I was proud to have fought beside her."

"Would you again?" Twenyl asked, doubtful on the response. "Would others? Are you not afraid of the problems our joining forces would cause? You speak very hopefully, Sir, but what of your people?"

"I am not a tyrant, friend." Tamain said hurtfully as he slowly took back his hand. "I lead through reason, and persuasion. Not by authority. If those that follow me disagree with my choices, I will listen to them, and I will present to them an argument. If that does not convince them, then I must respect their wishes." Tamain paused and looked up to the sky for a moment. "I sought you out, because in many ways you are like us, and I thought we could be of use to each other. At the very least, there is information we both need that the other holds. So shall we at least get that eager exchange underway?"

"Information?" Riyarra said, her curiosity piqued. "What are you after?"

"Why the secret to your cure, of course." Tamain smiled plainly. "My people need it. They are not themselves. Their minds have been poisoned, and I wish to know how to cure them. If I cannot find some way to return them to sanity they will destroy themselves and most of this world."

"What do you offer in trade?" Riyarra said in a more amenable tone. She certainly seemed willing to play the mercenary part. This idea of a formal alliance was too unsettling to grapple with at the moment. Despite her hopes and her need for their military might, her basic emotions took over once she caught sight of his dark skin. He reminded her too strongly of the horrors she'd escaped in Zecair, and she could not shrug them off on her own.

"I have heard some things about the men in this Monastery you are so interested in." Tamain said with a growing smirk. It was the cocky expression of a card player about to reveal his winning hand. Riyarra had seen the type many times, and she was almost becoming giddy in anticipation of what gem he was about to reveal. "The demon-spawn came from them. Fate has lead us both to this place for different reasons, but it seems that they are the same. You wish to cripple my people's supply of Demon's Blood, and I wish to find its cure. Both are at this Monastery." Riyarra deliberated a moment. It wasn't quite the trump card she was expecting. "The man that sired the demon-spawn is still alive and is most likely there as well. If he has created more of these creatures, you will need our help in slaying them. We have recently added an expert on all things demon to our ranks." he smiled.

"Truly?" Twenyl spoke up, doubt and hope both in the same question. He scratched the thinning white hairs of his head for a moment then continued. "If you can summon him here, and I am allowed to speak with him, then I will take your hand in peace and friendship." His tone was conciliatory, and Tamain picked up on it. Lysia was noticing that whenever they spoke, his head tilted ever so slightly to press his ear closer in their direction. He could not read their body language, but he could listen for it.

"I can summon her now if you like, friend. But I must have your hand in peace first." Tamain extended it. "You will find her very upsetting to look at, and I make this demand to reinforce our current truce." Twenyl looked skeptical, but he took Tamain's hand none the less. The shadow elf smiled broadly. "Her name is Eola, and she is of the Harpai people. One of the few elder races still with us. I chanced upon her two days ago, as I am sure you heard."

Tamain tilted his head up to the sky and whistled a couple of notes. A figure appeared from the treeline where they had originally come. Slowly, cautiously, she approached in her vibrant yellow dress. Tamain turned around to face her, and Lysia saw that he was all smiles.

"You certainly like to test us Tamain," Riyarra almost growled, and it made Lysia jump. She looked to her former friend, their eyes met, and she saw the stern, evaluating gaze of a soldier in them. The princess she had come to know was not there, this was someone new.

"For all that I ask of you, and have not yet asked of you. I expect to have to repay in kind." Tamain said in conciliation.

"A living Harpai," Twenyl muttered. "She will be ornery, my queen."

"Truly?" Tamain asked in genuine disbelief, interrupting their counsel. "I found her very friendly." Eola stopped just behind Tamain. She was nervously shy, and breathing so rapidly Lysia thought she must have run all the way here. But soon it became obvious is was due to her terrified state.

"I am here friend Tamain," Eola said erratically. "Have they agreed?" Tamain reached out his hand, took hers, and led her in a gentlemanly fashion to Queen Riyarra.

"Queen Riyarra," Tamain said in a deeply serious tone to which the Queen scowled darkly, knowing she was about to be called upon. "I will never threaten you, or your people, save for this once. Should any of your people seek to do Eola harm, I will dedicate the rest of my soon to be short life to destroying you. I may even feed the bodies to her children. I hold her in such high regard that I would destroy my own dreams of peace to see her safe. Has my oath convinced you?" The color from Lysia's face drained. She had never seen Riyarra look so insulted and ready to commit murder. Twenyl was also gripping his walking stick tightly, and his disapproving frown returned.

"You have my word that she will not be harmed. I offer her my hand in peace." Riyarra said, uncharacteristically diplomatic for the rage that was obvious in her face. She extended her hand to the Harpai woman. Eola took it daintily, but walked past it to embrace the elven queen in her arms. Twenyl spooked, but Lysia quickly put a calming hand on his shoulder. The old man looked to strike her away, but upon seeing her face and the look of pity in it, he second guessed his actions. Upon returning his attention to his queen, he found the taller Harpai woman sobbing gently into Riyarra's hair.

"Thank you, your Grace," Eola said uneasily. As she respectfully retreated to Tamain's side, she stopped to curtsy before Riyarra. Her feather wing dress accompanied the movement easily.

"Friend Twenyl," Tamain said boldly. "You now have your walking library of all things ancient, archaic, anthropological, historical, and of course, demonic. I hope you two spend many long nights getting to know one another." Twenyl coughed to reform his composure. "Do keep in mind that she is much, much older than you. So please be gentle." Twenyl twittered. Lysia snickered. Eola blushed. Riyarra turned away.

"Friend Twenyl," Riyarra interjected, speaking to Tamain. "is married to Iala."

Lysia had to bite her lip to keep from giggling as Tamain's jaw seemed stuck open, and Twenyl seemed to grow a few inches taller as he stood straighter. Riyarra flashed Twenyl a sly grin.

"I did not see that coming," Tamain admitted, truly dumbfounded. "I should apologize."

"Oh really?" Twenyl huffed. "and why is that?" Tamain's joke had steered them all into an uncomfortable, and possibly deadly situation given Iala's combat ability.

"And now I am trapped," Tamain admitted openly, and let out a disparaging sigh. Riyarra cleared her throat.

"The answers you seek," She started to say, but the words seemed to be avoiding her, "will disappoint you, and I am sorry the truth is not more hopeful. So this may not be an exchange to your liking." Her stern mood has softened considerably. All her preconceptions, and prejudices were obviously out of place here. Everything Tamain had promised, he had followed through on. He had been polite, courteous, but fair-minded and bold when needed. His oath of protection for the fear-stricken Eola was awfully chivalrous in a way, almost romantic. He was exactly as he claimed to be, and he had Valel and Lysia's support. For the hundredth time since she had first laid eyes on him, she reminded herself that he was different. "Spread throughout this land are pockets rich in naturally pure magical energies. One such place, a mountain spring inside of a cave, had its pure waters consumed in my purification. The rest of the ritual is known to our Cleric."

"Those are indeed rare," Tamain's shoulders sank. Riyarra's heart almost went out to him. She knew that if this was truly the only way, there was no way he could cure all of his people. Only a handful could be saved, and only if he found enough pure energies to soak up the corruption.

"There is a better way," Eola said, and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Slay the queen that spawned them. Any infected by her blood will lose their bloodlust with her death. It is her influence that affects them. It is not in the blood, but through the blood that she whispers to their minds. There is a risk that many will die however. With the loss of her voice, they will regain their minds, but they will remember everything. This will make many victims despair and grieve, some may take their own lives." Her knowledge and insight did not seem to help his mood. But despite the gravity of the situation as it was laid out, he shouldered it.

"It seems our paths continue to re-converge on your Monastery," Tamain said in all seriousness. "If the demon queen is not there, someone who knows where she is will be. You will have our assistance in assaulting the Monastery. That is, if they do not cooperate willingly." Tamain said at last. He then went to one knee before Queen Riyarra. Lysia followed his lead, believing herself one of his Discarded. Eola seemed uncertain, so she gracefully excused herself a step backwards and curtsied again. Riyarra gave Twenyl a faint smile.

"Rise, friend Tamain." Riyarra said. Her suspicion was not completely put to rest, and yet she helped him up. "For now, let us test this new alliance in uncovering the answers these humans have. Please, invite your people to join us for a meal tomorrow night," Riyarra said at last. "Let us drink, sing, and dance together. To celebrate a unity that has not happened in ages."

****

Dusk fell and night brought with it song and laughter. A fire pit had been built in the center of the clearing, and a roaring fire was well ablaze. Three barrels of wine had been stacked together and the first was already half emptied. A deer and a boar had been carved up and spitted near the bonfire with two picky light elves fending off hungry hands until the meat was ready. Riyarra had ordered a half dozen guards to remain on the perimeter and maintain watch. Not to be put out they would be relieved half way through the night so that all could meet their new guests and friends. Ut'van and Faosen were already there. They had been Tamain's escort, and had stayed back while he met with the Queen. Ut'van was more the wary, but was sociable enough to linger around the wine barrels and chat up a few Knights. Introductions were uneasy at first, almost cold, but the wine soon helped. Faosen, Corella's young apprentice magic-user, was listening in on Twenyl and Eola's conversation about demons and corruption. He had always been the curious sort, but polite enough to know he was little more than an observer to their conversation. But on more than one occasion he was caught staring at either of them, and had to straighten himself up. Tamain and Lysia sat on one of the many logs that had been hauled out to encircle the bonfire.

"You don't have to sit with me, my mouse. These are your friends, your former comrades, you should go talk to them. I will be fine." Tamain patted her leg.

"I doubt they are as friendly to me anymore. Leaving them was one issue, joining your group could almost be seen as treason... but sharing your bed." she whispered that last part. "No, I think it safer for me to sit here."

"Does it really bother you what they think?"

"Not really," She sighed. "They are not truly my kind. I'm no noble."

"You should go find Valel and make amends for the other day."

"He has guard duty."

"Oh? Later then," He smiled and stared at the bonfire. "I can almost see the light it gives off... It's still blackness, but some of it is less black." Lysia leaned her head against his shoulder. She caught a few stares from the Elthairins, but she ignored them. Riyarra came to join them, she was carrying three wooden cups of wine.

"Tamain, I must complain." Riyarra started. "Your man Ut'vek would not let me have three cups. I told him I needed as much to stomach all this, but he made me promise to share with you. The nerve!" Lysia giggled. But the rose in Riyarra's cheeks said she had already had more than three cups. Lysia took the extra wine from Riyarra, and handed one to Tamain.