Love And War Bk. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jason couldn't stand it any longer. "Dammit, Q! Why the hell do you always have to show up and mess with people? Captain Picard has warned us all about you and your stupid little games!"

"Ahhh, Jean-Luc. How is the old boy? I haven't had the chance to chat with him for a while," Q talked about him like an old friend.

Jason started forward, Delaara at his heels as they placed themselves between Q and his would-be captives. "You're not taking them, Q. Not while I still live," said Jason implacably.

Q looked at him and was startled by something in the young Commander's gaze. "Jason", he said in a sober tone, "I won't harm them, and you're welcome to come along if you wish. There is something I really must discuss with Captain Thatcher."

The way he'd said that surprised Jason. "Ok, Q. Delaara and I go with them."

As Dom started to protest, Jason held up his hand. "No, Dom. This is between us and Q. Keep your people safe, and return to Starbase 1 to tell them what happened."

Q was once again surprised. "You are wise beyond your years, Jason. Very well, you have a deal." Q snapped his fingers and the 5 of them disappeared from the Bridge of the USS Churchill.

*****

They were standing on a windswept beach as the sun was setting. In spite of the circumstances surrounding them being here, Jason and Delaara shared a smile as they saw the sun setting. Ryan and Rachael were standing with them, and Q had reappeared in a Hawaiian style shirt and khaki shorts, sipping what appeared to be a Pina Colada.

"Well, here we are, Q. Now, why did you want to speak with me?" Rachael was all business. All Captain again.

"I'm glad you asked that, Rachael," he said. "You see, the Galaxy is in a bit of a bind, and I will need your help. In fact, I'll need you all for this one." He smiled. "I apologize for the rude way I appeared to you, and you have no reason to trust me, but I'm asking you to trust me now."

Delaara narrowed her gaze at him. "Why, Q? Why should we trust you?"

"Delaara, my dear. I'm asking you to take a leap of faith and hear me out. That's all," he replied.

Delaara nodded her head once, and Q inclined his head in thanks.

"Well, as you've probably heard, the Borg are coming. They have amassed a fleet so large, they could take the entire Alpha Quadrant within a week if they aren't stopped." Q actually looked worried.

"So?" Rash said. "Why not just wave your magic... whatever, and get rid of them?"

"It's not as easy as that, Ryan," Q replied. "We are prohibited from directly interfering in galactic matters. We need help."

"Not sure what we could do to help, Q", said Jason evenly. "We'll fight them every inch of the way if necessary, but there's no easy fix to a Borg invasion."

"Says the man that ended the Ferengi-Orion War in one evening," said Q with a sarcastic smirk.

"Completely different situation, Q," said Delaara. "Jason just put together the pieces that nobody else could."

Q looked up for a moment, as if listening. He looked back at them with a panicked expression. "Wait here. I'll be back as soon as I can." He waved his hand, causing a snack and beverage cart to appear. "In case you need some refreshment in the meantime." Q then snapped his fingers and disappeared.

"You have GOT to be kidding me!" Ryan shouted.

"Calm down, love," said Rachael in her even voice. Ryan closed his eyes and calmed down, taking his pregnant wife in his arms and holding her close. At the age of 49, Rachael still looked like she was 35. She ate healthy, and had been eating for 2 lately. She excercised regularly, and she made sure she never got too much sun. They'd had their baby checked out when they'd found out she was pregnant, and so far he seemed like he would be a healthy baby boy.

"Q is scared," said Delaara suddenly. "He's really terrified of something."

Jason agreed. "You're right, sweetheart. If Q is scared, what chance to we have?"

"We'll think of something," Rachael said. "We always do."

Ryan walked over to the snack cart and grabbed a cheeseburger, which he took back to Rachael. He handed it to her.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" Rachael asked, blinking in surprise.

"Eat it, honey," said Ryan. "Q left it for a reason, and you need the food more than we do. I'll go grab something for myself, too." He smiled.

Rachael's heart melted again as she remembered why she'd fallen in love with him. She kissed his lips softly. "Thank you, love," she said with a smile.

Ryan grinned and grabbed a few more burgers for himself, Jason, and Delaara. They all ate quickly, then Jason grabbed his wife in his arms and sat on the beach with her, watching the sunset over the ocean.

"Where ever 'here' is, at least Q has good taste in scenery," Jason said as he kissed his wife.

"I agree, baby," Delaara grinned and kissed him back.

Ryan and Rachael sat close by their friends and they all watched the sun dip below the horizon. As it set, a bunch of tiki torches lit themselves along the beach, giving them some light.

"This reminds me of where we first met, baby," said Delaara with a dreamy smile.

"That it does, sweetheart. I wish we could go back there sometimes. It seemed like we had no cares in the world while we were there, except for those Orion visitors." Jason chuckled as he remembered the island so long ago.

Rachael smiled too, relaxing a bit. The air was perfect, with a slight breeze blowing in off the waves. Even Ryan was loosening up a bit, enjoying their circumstances, no matter how strange they were.

When Q finally returned, he was once again dressed as a Starfleet captain. "Good news, folks," he said, jovially. "I've found a solution that doesn't involve any sacrifices of mortal importance!"

"What do you mean, Q?" Rachael asked him suspiciously.

"Well, as I can travel through time, I can take you back to right after the announcement when Admiral Nelson declared the war had been won and Commander MacKenzie here was offered his choice of duty assignments." Q paused for this to sink in.

"What would that accomplish, Q?" Jason asked.

Q sighed. "I don't expect you to understand Quantum Reality, but averting this upcoming Borg invasion requires that you and your wife stay onboard the Nimitz as the Commanding Officers of Striker Wing, and Captain Thatcher returns to her post as Captain of said Carrier."

"So you would erase the last 4 years of our lives??" Rachael was nearly in tears. "I want to have my child, Q! But I can't do that as a Starship Captain!"

Q's mood softened a bit. "Rachael, if we had gone with my original plan, Ryan would have died, as would Delaara. When I was reviewing probabilities and outcomes just now, I saw that if you all chose to remain onboard your ship, nobody has to die to avert the Borg Invasion. Don't lose hope of becoming a mother." He smiled warmly.

Q went on. "You will still retain your memories from the last 4 years when you return. When asked to choose your duty assignments, please stay with the Nimitz. I hate to say this, but everything hinges on that decision."

Rachael thought about it for a long moment, as did Jason and Delaara. They moved a little ways off to talk.

"I don't know much about Quantum Realities, Jason", said Delaara. "But I do know that Q canNOT be trusted."

"Normally, I'd agree with you, sweetheart. But this... This is different. I've never heard of Q panicking before, except the time that Jean-Luc told me about when he lost his powers and became Human. If he's scared, then the entire galaxy is at risk." Jason had a worried look on his face.

"Jason, my love, I know what you mean, but what if this is just a trick of his to see how far we'd go to save everyone?" Delaara asked.

"I'd thought of that too, but we can't take the chance that he's telling the truth, honey." Jason had that implacable look in his eyes again. "I refuse to sacrifice you and Ryan to defeat the Borg. If we can defeat them and keep you two alive, then I'm taking that option."

Delaara nodded, smiling at him. She knew he would choose this, even though she had some misgivings about it. He loved her too much to let her die when another option was available that still guaranteed victory.

As if reading her thoughts, he said "Delaara, even if we would lose the war, I wouldn't let you die without dying first to protect you."

She stopped dead in her tracks, grabbing his hand and pulling him to her. Her arms went around his neck and she kissed him with everything that she had. All of her feelings and emotions went into that kiss, and the mind meld made them both understand the true depth of the love they had for one another.

As they broke the kiss finally, Jason whispered "If there was any other option, I would take it, honey."

"I know, baby," she replied, also in a whisper.

They turned and walked back to where Q was standing and talking with Ryan and Rachael.

"Captain," said Jason as they neared. "I recommend that we do as Q asks."

Rachael turned and nodded, noting the tears in both his and Delaara's eyes. She knew they understood. She then turned and looked back at Q.

"Fine, you bloody wanker. Send us back."

*****

"Commander, you have been given your choice of duty assignment for you and Delaara. Anywhere in Federation space." Rachael said by way of explanation.

"Anywhere you want, son. You name it." Admiral Nelson was smiling.

Jason looked at Delaara, who smiled and shook her head slightly. He nodded, smiling a sad smile as he looked at Rachael and Rash. He then turned to Admiral Nelson. "Sir, I think we'd like to stay right here where we belong. Guarding the Federation."

"I was planning to retire, myself," said Rachael with a wry chuckle. "But I guess I could stick it out for another tour."

Admiral Nelson looked pleased. "Glad you all decided on this. I would hate to break up such a good team."

"Agreed," said Captain Picard. "What you've done over the past year and a half is unprecedented in the history of Starfleet. You've won two wars, and had adventures that would have made Captain Kirk jealous!"

Both Admiral Nelson and Captain Picard shook Jason's and Delaara's hands profusely, congratulating them.

"But first thing's first, Commander", said Captain Picard. "You, and every member of Striker Wing, are hereby ordered to Deep Space Nine and Quark's for celebratory partying and/or carousing for the remainder of the week. This war, unlike most others, was not won with firepower. It was won by a man who had everything to lose, but proposed a bold and insane plan to win, anyway."

"You can give all the credit to Delaara, sir. She was the one that gave me the idea. It just took a while to click in my mind." Jason shrugged.

"How so, son?" Admiral Nelson asked.

"She was the one who told me that Orions have no Honor, and are only motivated by money", Jason replied. "I don't remember exactly when it clicked, but it woke me up and I had to call you guys."

"You were running on pure adrenaline, baby. I had Doc Tavolk run a diagnostic on you at our quarters while you were unconscious. He said your endorphin levels were through the roof, which means you were running on pure adrenaline before that." Delaara had been worried after he continued to sleep through the next day and day after.

"Well, tell Doc that I'm good to go, now." He grinned. "Let's go party!"

*****

Rachael was asleep with Ryan behind her when Q appeared, waking her with a start. She saw him and groaned.

"Q, it's 0200 hours. Don't you have anything better to do?" Rachael was peeved.

Ryan awoke at this and said "Go away, douchebag."

"I'll be out of your hair in a moment. Just wanted to thank you both. As I said, don't lose hope of having a son." Q smiled at them.

"What do you mean by that? It will be two more years before I can have another chance at retirement. I don't leave a tour half finished!" Rachael was getting angry.

"Ok, that. Is. IT!" Ryan jumped out of bed in his boxers and went to the Replicator. "Double espresso, medium hot," he said. He grabbed the cup as soon as it appeared and slugged it back, waking up fully. He marched to Q and decked him hard across his jaw, staggering him backward.

"I would have died to protect Rachael, asshole! I would have done so gladly to protect her and our son!" He slugged Q in the gut, driving the godlike being to his knees. "Now, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE AND NEVER COME BACK!" He roared at Q.

Q looked up at him incredulously. "I've given you a second chance! You will father your child with Rachael, boy!"

Rash cooled off a little. "Q, you don't understand Humans at all, do you? Well, let me educate your ignorant ass. I would gladly kill or even die if it meant saving those I love. I don't feel that I need to cheat death to win. Any true man or woman with any kind of love in their hearts would do the same for those closest to them."

"What's done is done, and will not be undone", said Q. "This was my 'Mulligan' for you, and to save all of Humanity. And Ryan, while I understand your point of view, think about this: If you had died in the other reality when you were fated to die, you would never have seen your child grow into a man."

Rachael stood then and moved beside Ryan. "Q, thank you for what you did. However, if you do it again without letting us live our lives out, I will do my best to kill you and the entire bloody Continuum!"

"And if you interfere again and I die because of it," said Rash, "I will haunt you for your entire eternal freakin' life!"

Q visibly flinched at that. "Now that's a scary thought," he said with a haunted look in his eyes. "You throw a mean left cross, kid." Q snapped his fingers and disappeared.

"Bloody well done, baby!", Rachael hugged him tight and kissed him passionately.

"Mmmmpphhh. Thanks, bunny," he said after they'd broken the kiss. "I thought he was going to kill me after I slugged him in the stomach."

"Hmm. No. Q is a lot of things, but he doesn't kill for stuff like that. At least, not that I've ever heard about." Rachael shrugged and dragged him back to bed. "Now, we have a lot of caffeine in your system that needs to be worked off," she said seductively, removing her nightgown.

*****

Delaara woke instantly at the flash of light and whir that accompanied Q's appearance. She looked up as he was stroking his jaw.

"What are you doing here? Looks like someone hit you good, Q. Can't say that I blame them." Delaara said, waking Jason.

"Oh hell...." Jason looked at Q. "Seriously, don't you have ANYTHING better to do, Q?"

Q sighed. "I saved your lives, and this is the thanks I get. Ryan hits me in the jaw and stomach, and you all have absolutely no gratitude!"

"Well, it's almost 0230 hours right now, Q. If you had shown up at a decent hour, we might be more grateful. As it is, get out and let us get back to sleep." Delaara flopped back down with her arm across Jason's back.

"I just wanted to thank you both, and I realize the sacrifice you made for the good of the galaxy. The Borg invasion has already been thwarted, thanks to the quantum effect of the choice you made this time." Q told them.

Jason turned over and sat up at that. "So let me get this straight. We just had to make the decision to stay? That's it?"

"Jason, you all had to make the decision to stay", said Q. "All four of you had to decide to stay aboard the USS Nimitz together."

"Ok, I promise to not even try to understand why it took all that, if you promise to GET THE FUCK OUT and let us get back to sleep now. And if you say anything except 'goodbye', I'll show you that Ryan doesn't hit near as hard as I do. And it looks like he rung your bell pretty good." Jason had had more than enough of this clown.

"Fine, then. Goodbye, Commanders. Sleep well, and I wish you both well in life." Q bowed once and disappeared.

"Rash decked him." Jason chuckled.

"He probably interrupted their intimate time," Delaara replied with a giggle.

"Or he got woke up before he wanted to, grabbed an emergency cup of espresso, and opened a can of whoopass on Q." Jason was laughing outright, now, as was Delaara.

*****

The next morning, Ryan and Rachael were talking in his office in the flight hangar when Jason and Delaara showed up, grinning.

"What are you two grinning at?" Rachael asked.

"We heard that you went mano a mano with Q and whooped his ass, Rash", replied Jason.

"I was mad that he would second guess my love for Rachael and that I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice my life for her." Ryan replied with a shrug.

"But still, YOU beat down Q!" Delaara was laughing again at the thought.

Rash grinned. "Yeah, I guess I did. How about that?"

"It was the bravest and bloody stupidest thing I've ever seen, love," said Rachael, laughing now as well.

"Brother, you did what every other Starfleet officer who has ever encountered Q wishes they could do!" Jason was slapping him on the back, and they all chuckled.

"Well, we have four years of memories that never happened now, and we have four more years to make new memories. So I guess it wasn't a total loss," said Ryan, looking up at Rachael sitting on his desk. "Truth be told, I did regret leaving the Nimitz sometimes."

"As did I, love," she said in return.

"We did too", said Delaara.

Jason nodded. "We always felt like we should still be out here, even if just for another couple years."

*****

Q walked into the diner and looked around at the other members of the Q Continuum. He was fuming angry and frightened at the same time.

"How was that impudent child able to damage me?" He demanded of his brothers and sisters.

"He struck you out of love."

"Love for his mate and unborn child."

"He did not strike you in hate."

"Hate is weak against us."

"But love is strong."

"Love can defeat us when used as a weapon."

Q listened and mulled over what he'd just been told. "So he would have gladly sacrificed himself to protect them?"

"Yes."

"Indeed."

"Without question."

"Their love is pure."

"As pure as the Eternal Light."

"There have been few loves as strong as theirs."

Q was stunned. "Well, it seems I've underestimated Mankind again." He sat down and grabbed a cup of coffee.

"As usual."

"You always make that mistake."

"You're a douchebag."

"A total wanker."

"You really should get a better hobby."

"Stop pissing people off."

------------------------------------------------

Through The Mirror Darkly

Quark's was crowded to overflowing as the party spilled out onto the Promenade. The Holosuites were full as the crews of 4 Federation Starships partied in turn between shifts. The whole station resounded with music and the booze was flowing freely. Delaara and Jason had found a catwalk and a bottle of Romulan Ale bought from Quark, and were passing it back and forth between themselves.

"This is the biggest party I've ever seen," said Delaara with wonder in her voice.

"It's the second time I've seen DS9 this way," he replied. "The first time was after the Dominion War wrapped up. I'd just been assigned to the Nimitz and we were enroute here when the word came in that the war had ended. I was a pea green ensign at the time." Jason grinned at the memory. "That was when I first met Will, Beverly, Jean-Luc, and Worf face to face. Same with Mac and Elizabeth. We all got to drinking in Quark's during that party, and became good friends."

"I was wondering where you got on a first name basis with Mac and Elizabeth." Delaara laughed.

"Well, they still recognize you as a Captain equivalent since you held that rank in the Empire." Jason said. "Rash and I had scored points with them by being there with Rachael, and she said we were cool. Then we all got loaded with some of the most powerful Captains in Starfleet." He grinned as Delaara laughed.

1...456789