Love Changes Everything Pt. 01: Beginning

Story Info
Freya begins her sophomore year with surprises.
16k words
4.67
12.4k
11

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/31/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All of my writing is fiction and the stories and characters are all products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. Hope you enjoy!

This is the first part of a three-part story about Freya and the beginning of her sophomore year at college. It involves her family and some of the men she meets, the difficult decisions involved with that, and the results of those decisions. Part two will be published in about ten days and part three ten days after that. Feel free to leave comments. I use them to help with future stories.

*****

"Athena, where are you going?" Dominick called sternly to his younger sister.

"Shit, I thought I closed the door," she replied, a disgusted look on her face.

"And where did you get that language?"

"Jeremy's mom lets him say 'shit' so I guess I should be able to say it too," she said with a sneer.

"That doesn't answer my first question," he continued, stepping into her room.

"Pretty obvious, I'm going out." She shifted on the windowsill, one leg dangling outside.

"It's eleven o'clock, Athena, and you're fourteen."

"Actually, it's twelve minutes after eleven, and I already knew I was fourteen. Now, are you through annoying me?"

He took another tentative step into the room, cautiously eyeing his sister.

"Just stop right there. You come closer, and I'll be going out pretty quickly, and neither of us wants me to fall off the porch roof." A look of adolescent defiance radiated from her face, and Dominick knew better than to push it further.

He raised his hands. "I'm stopped — not going any further. But tell me what's up."

She eyed him cautiously. "You're not gonna rat on me?"

"Don't make me promise something I might have to go back on."

"You know what I mean."

"Not unless something drastic happens."

Athena was nervously tapping one foot on the porch roof outside. She looked at her brother as a smile crossed her face. "Susan and I are gonna sneak into the Excelsior Club and take a midnight swim."

There was a noise in the hallway behind Dominick, and a head appeared around the door frame.

"W-What's going on?" Freya looked from her sister to her twin brother.

"Athena's on a top-secret jaunt. Maybe you can talk her out of it."

Freya's eyes went back to her little sister. "Whatever it is, w-when it's after eleven, you shouldn't be going out your w-window."

"Susan and I are going for a swim." She aimed a big smile at her older sister, knowing what was coming.

"It's too dangerous," came the sharp reply.

"Was it dangerous when you did it?" Athena asked, her smile changing to a "gotcha" look.

"Th-that was different," Freya replied, hearing a quick chuckle from Dominick. "You know M-Mom will kill you if she finds out."

A dark look crossed Athena's face.

"If you keep your mouth shut, she won't know. But do you think I give a shit about what Mom thinks?" She had started now and wasn't about to stop. "She hates me. If you remember," she added, sarcasm coloring her voice, "she didn't even want me in the first place."

"Slow down, Athena." Freya wanted to smooth things a little but knew it was nearly hopeless once Athena got started.

"You're one to be talking. She makes fun of you all the time." The look on her face was a mixture of anger and helplessness. "We're both freaks. Dom is the only one she likes."

"That's not true, Athena." Dom knew there was more truth to it than he was willing to admit, at least to Athena.

"I was a miracle, an unnatural miracle, more like a curse. Who has a baby after their tubes are tied? And then who sues the doctor, punishing him for allowing this baby to be born?" Athena's face was red and she was trembling. "She won't tell me how much she got from that, so I'll know how much I'm worth." She swung her other leg over the sill and stood on the porch roof. "Maybe I'll drown. Probably the only way I could make her happy." An ugly laugh came back at them from the open window.

Athena scrambled across the sloping porch roof and then down the trellis, trying hard not to damage the morning glories, their beautiful blooms now sleeping.

"Should we go after her, maybe save her butt?" Dom cast a questioning look at his twin, then back at the offending window that had stolen their little sister.

"I figure she's d-doing it with Susan. D-d-don't want to embarrass her. Plus," and she grinned at her brother, "she does this k-kind of thing all the time."

"I kind of guessed but have never caught her at it."

"I did it t-too," Freya confessed, "but you never caught m-me either."

"No shit?" he replied, eyebrows raised in amazement.

"And when did she start saying, 'shit'?" Freya queried.

"She says Jeremy's mom allows him to say that. The one bad word that's permitted, I guess."

Freya crossed in front of Dom and plopped wearily onto Athena's bed.

"She's right, isn't she, about what she said?" Her face had saddened appreciatively.

Dominick sat down beside her, put his arm around her and gave a gentle squeeze.

"Mom's not perfect," he said. "Not by a long shot. I'm not sure how you stand the things she does. At least with Athena, it's not spoken but just understood. With you, it's right there, in your face, and all the time."

"I like to th-think I get used to it, but I don't. Here at home, it's one th-thing, but out in public, it's worse. I could tell her that it's her f-fault, that it's her grampa that st-stuttered and that's why I do it too. She wouldn't like that."

"What you need to do is find a guy, marry him, and move away." A huge smile spread across his face.

"That's what I n-need, good practical advice. Jerk." She laughed as her hand swung around and smacked him in the stomach to his grunt.

She wasn't about to share with him, as of yet, the secret dream she was clinging to tightly. It was so different, so ...she didn't know what to call it, and she wasn't sure how even Dom would accept it. One of these days perhaps, depending on what happened and what she'd finally decide. Right now, it was so far-fetched, she could hardly believe she was even thinking about it. But, that's the way most dreams started, at least the good ones.

Dom pulled Athena's window nearly closed, not wanting to waste the air conditioning but leaving it open a crack, so his sister wouldn't panic when she finally returned from her adventure.

*****

Freya began her day by sneaking down the hallway to Athena's room, cracking the door and peeking in. Relieved to see her sister sleeping soundly, she headed back to her room to dress for school. It was unusually warm for September, probably why Athena and Susan had decided to risk a midnight swim. She debated about what to wear the first day of her sophomore year. Not surprisingly, at least for her, she picked the usual; a floppy T-shirt and jeans.

She joined Dom in the kitchen for their toast and jam breakfast.

"You going to the picnic?" he asked.

"I thought I would," she replied. "It was fun last year because I met a c-couple of my professors and it was good to s-see them somewhere besides class. One seemed like a re-regular human being."

That brought a laugh from Dom

"Good free food, too," he said.

"Mostly free."

"True," he answered. "You going in early?"

"A little, I g-guess. Going to check out where some of the rooms are and stop b-by to make sure my schedule is still ac-accurate."

"Makes sense. I'm gonna run over to Brianne's for a while."

Freya tensed at the mention of Brianne's name. Dom didn't miss it.

"Sis, what's up with you and Brianne? I guess I don't understand why you two don't, um, get along well."

"I don't know exactly, D-Dom. She just makes me uncomfortable when I'm around her. If I had to g-guess, I'd say it's my stuttering."

"Oh, no. I don't think so, Freya. I think she's used to it now."

"You need to watch her some time, Dom. She, well, k-kind of cringes when I get stuck on a word. I'm sure it m-makes her embarrassed for me."

"I guess I'll try to pay more attention."

"It's not a big deal. You know, it's n-not like we don't like each other. I think she's perfect for you and the way you l-look at her tells me how you feel too. It's just awkward, and we'll figure it out. Oh, and I don't think she likes how I d-dress, either."

"I guess I can see the dress thing. She's hinted that a couple of times."

"Listen, maybe I'll see you at the picnic. Have a great day." He stood up and headed out the back door.

"Oh, hi, Freya. Did Dom leave already?"

"Yeah, Mom. He's going to stop by Brianne's" She noticed the look she was getting from her mother.

"What does your shirt say?"

Freya turned toward her.

"'Wait a minute, I'm' 'what'?" She was squinting at Freya's chest.

Freya took hold of the shirttail and stretched it.

"Oh, 'overthinking it.'" She sighed. "How many shirts like that do you have?

"I'm not sure. Quite a f-few I guess."

"And when winter comes, you just switch to long sleeves?"

"Pretty much so." Freya was ready for the onslaught.

"Why do you insist on avoiding 'normal' clothing?"

"This is normal, Mother," she answered, emphasizing the 'mother' as her way of standing up to Jessica. She was usually very soft-spoken, except in these exchanges with her mother. "If I wore what you'd like m-me to wear, it wouldn't be normal at all." She was staring at her mother who refused to return her look.

"It's hard to believe Dom's your twin." Her mother's usual final retort.

Freya loved her brother. He was her best friend in the world. But their mother was constantly comparing them, and Freya always came up wanting. Freya had gotten so she just let the discussion drop when the comparisons appeared. There was no way she'd "win," and there was no way she'd tell her mother some of the things she knew about Dom.

"I'll be home for dinner," Freya said, giving up the struggle and grabbing her backpack. "Bye."

If her mother responded, she didn't hear it.

Freya enjoyed walking around the campus and took her time checking out buildings and rooms where she'd be having classes. It was the first day of the semester and some classes were meeting and others wouldn't be having their first session until tomorrow. She had been in the Union one day last year and had seen a very interesting man. Obviously Russian, from his accent, she had checked and found he was a physics professor. Someone had given her his name and she had looked into it when it was time to sign up for this year's classes.

She needed a physics class if she was going to switch to engineering, her current plan. She had searched and found the classes Dr. Lebedev was teaching and had gotten into his three o'clock class. She was unfamiliar with the physics building, not even being sure where it was, so she was searching..

She found it and checked the room number on her schedule. It was on the second floor and she went there quickly to get a look at it. When she went through the door she was totally surprised that there was someone there.

"Hello," a very deep and strong bass voice said.

"Hello," she replied, watching the tall, sandy-haired man approach her.

"I am Dr. Lebedev," he said, extending his hand. "I assume you are physics student."

As she shook hands with him, she couldn't help but notice the gray-blue eyes that were smiling at her. Her heart pounded just a mite as she realized he was her professor, just as she had planned.

"Yes, I am," she said, returning his smile. "I'm in your three o'clock class."

"And your name is?"

"Freya Kaminski."

"I will remember that and call on you to answer questions tomorrow," he said, his laughter surrounding her.

As so often happened, Freya blushed. It was obvious Dr. Lebedev noticed.

"Don't worry, I won't call on you," he assured her. "I shouldn't tease like that I suppose."

He was smiling at her again, and she noticed his eyes never left hers.

"Thank you," she said. "And I'm used to b-being teased." She heard herself stutter, the first one with Dr. Lebedev. She was concentrating as hard as she could, but it still happened.

"So, Ms. Kaminski, are you going to picnic?"

"Yes, I am," she answered, now curious.

"I will be there, too. Perhaps we can get some food and I can tell you a little about class."

She felt her chest constrict. This very gorgeous guy wanted to eat and talk with her. Not only would that be nice, but it might get her a few brownie points as well. Might as well be practical as well as fanciful with this, she decided.

She checked a couple more buildings, then headed to the Commons where the picnic was being held. It was a tradition that had gone on for years, even though attendance had been dropping year by year. She guessed she was old-fashioned enough that she enjoyed it. Plus, meeting some of the professors was fun, too.

She had only been there about three or four minutes when she spotted Dr. Lebedev who saw her at about the same time and headed toward her. This time he had his nametag. "Grigoriy Lebedev."

"Ms. Kaminski, I would love to eat and talk with you, but if you have other plans or people you need to see, that's good, too."

The expectant look she was getting was causing her to tingle a bit. Silly, she thought to herself.

"No, n-nothing else," she said, not able to curb the excitement in her voice. "I would love to hear about the physics cl-class."

"As we say in Russian, 'идеальный'"

As he laughed, Freya shook her head as she had no idea what he had just said.

He replied to her puzzled look. "'Perfect' would be simpler, correct?"

She nodded and laughed.

"Let's get something to eat," he said, taking hold of her arm and directing her toward the food tables.

She enjoyed his touch. At the food tables, she took a plate along with a half-sandwich of some mysterious concoction, some potato salad she was able to recognize, a few pieces of watermelon, and a glass of lemonade. She noticed that he'd taken about twice as much as she had.

He leaned over, his head close to her ear. "There's a table over there," he said, pressing his elbow against her arm. "If you don't mind sitting under tree."

She made her way to the table, Dr. Lebedev close behind. They both sat down and took a nibble of their food.

"What would you like to know about this physics class?"

It was a simple question, and she wasn't sure how to answer it. The physics class was just an excuse, right now, so she could be sitting here with this very handsome man who just happened to be the professor of that class. For whatever reason, he seemed to enjoy being here with her as well. She could tell he was probably well out of his twenties, maybe even his thirties. That didn't make him any less attractive, unusual for her, as she'd never thought about anyone that old being appealing.

"Will you be following the textbook v-very closely as the semester moves along?"

"Very closely," he answered. "Plus, textbook is available online, if you know how to find it. I will give you a link and you can save some money." He winked at her.

"Oh, thank you. My f-father will love that too."

"Ms. Freya, tell me something about yourself. I like to know my students so they are more than names in grade book." Silly as it seemed, she certainly did like the way he looked at her. And, with those special eyes he had, she enjoyed looking back at him. She also wondered how many students he got to know ... a little better. She found herself hoping she was the only one.

"I guess I'm fairly n-normal. Mother, father, little sister, and twin brother."

"So, two redheads then?" His eyes swept over her hair, then back to her face.

"No, I'm the only redhead, except for Dad. My br-brother has dark hair and so d-does my little sister. That comes from our mother."

"Too bad. I hope you don't mind my saying that you have beautiful red hair." His eyes were on her hair again and she was enjoying it.

"Thank you," she said, flattered that her professor was complimenting her hair, and happy that he was.

They finished eating, chatted some more, with Grigoriy pressing her for more details about herself and her life.

"What is your major?" he finally asked, getting back to academics.

"I don't have one right now. I was considering nursing b-but have been thinking about engineering, too. One of my chemistry professors talked to me about becoming a Chemical Engineer."

"Ah, now you have told me something." He raised his eyebrows. "You must be excellent student."

Freya felt her cheeks getting warm. She was reluctant to respond.

"Your red face is telling me I'm correct."

"I enjoy school and l-learning," she said, hoping the color would disappear.

"A clever answer from modest lady," he said. "But, tell me more."

Freya took a deep breath. Dr. Lebedev's look gave her confidence. "My freshman year o-of high school, I got two B's." There had been none since.

His smile told her he understood.

"Maybe I can talk you into being a physicist."

As of right now, she was willing to let him try.

"I enjoy listening to you speak," he said. "You speak very distinctly and make it easy for Russian man to understand each word."

She was stuttering, occasionally, but he was complimenting her speaking. That was unique for her and only made him more fascinating than he already was.

"Thank you," she finally replied. Her professor was a very kind and considerate man. That was easy to see.

Dr. Lebedev stood up, moved around the table, and put his hand on her shoulder, giving a gentle squeeze. He left it there as he looked around. Another squeeze.

She wondered if he was waiting for a reaction, for her to tell him to stop. If he listened carefully, he might be able to hear her heart pounding. That was her reaction. She didn't want him to stop.

It was her turn to wait for a reaction. She thought she felt him squeeze her shoulder once more.

"Freya, I must see if other physics students are at picnic. I would much rather talk with lady with red hair. When classes start, please come see me if you have questions."

It may have been her imagination, or perhaps her subconscious desire, but she thought there was a special emphasis on his "please."

"I will, Dr. Lebedev," she replied, not knowing how frequently that would come to pass.

*****

Freya had begun her sophomore year, full of her usual enthusiasm. She loved school and learning ...and professor Lebedev's physics class. She loved sitting there, watching and listening, his voice especially deep and warm. At least, he sounded that way to her. She could see that her main problem would be creating reasons to visit his office.

Even though she knew she wanted to do it, deciding to go to Dr. Lebedev's office for help with physics was more difficult than she thought it might be. Finally, she checked his office hours, found a convenient time that matched her schedule, and asked him if it was okay to come at that time.

On Wednesday, right after her ten o'clock class, she went to the ground floor of the physics building, found his office and knocked on the closed door. No answer. She wasn't sure what to do next when she heard his deep voice behind her.

"Ms. Kaminski, you are very prompt," he said, reaching around her to unlock the door. He ushered her in with a hand on her back and gestured to a chair. When she was seated he went around the desk and sat down.

"It is very pleasant to see you again, even though I see you in class. But here, we can talk. So, tell me your question."