Lux Ex Tenebris Ch. 05

Story Info
Clara's separation from her loved ones.
5.3k words
4.8
4.7k
5

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/06/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What will

our children do in the morning?

Will they wake with their hearts wanting to play,

the way wings

should?

Will they have dreamed the needed flights and gathered

the strength from the planets that all

men and women need to balance

the wonderful charms of

the earth

so that her power and beauty does not make us forget our own?

I know all about the ways of the heart - how it wants to be alive.

Love so needs to love

that it will endure almost anything, even abuse,

just to flicker for a moment. But the sky's mouth is kind,

its song will never hurt you, for I song those words.

What will our children do in the morning

if they do not see us

fly?

-Rumi

***

I watched the maids and the guards arranging the nursery room for our baby while knitting a tiny moss green cap -yes knitting was a new hobby that I picked up. One more month and the baby would be delivered to this world. Vidor believed that the baby would be a boy whereas I could care less what it would be. A boy or a girl, it wouldn't make any difference as I would love them as much as I loved their father. And because of that Vidor and I came up with a list of names for each gender. It was so much fun. Each one of us wrote on different papers and showed them to each other and crossed the names that sounded too ridiculous and came up with even more ridiculous names.

Initially I wanted the nursery room to be in our room, but Lorant advised it wouldn't be a good idea since the Tenebrian custom is to have a separate room for the baby. We finally reached a conclusion that the nursery room would be adjacent to the master bedroom with a connecting door, so if anything happened Vidor and I would be there within a blink of an eye. Well, it would probably only Vidor who would accomplish that as he could move inhumanly fast.

The painters had done a great job with the walls that were now covered in soft, dusty apricot color and one wall covered with a colorful mural. I was watching a servant assembling the white royalty baby crib when Marsila, my personal maid, appeared to inform me that my uncle was present, uninvitedly, and waiting for me in the reception hall. My heart skipped a beat. Vidor was gone for a confidential matter and would not return until the evening. Anger filled my heart and I decided to change into a rather bold dress to meet Martinien.

I walked to the closet and chose a long sleeve blood red dress to emphasize that I had the power in my hands, and it did give me the desired psychological effect that no one, not even Martinien, wouldn't be able to see: confidence. After all, I had enough hatred in my heart towards him that confidence wouldn't come that hard to me. After Marsila done my hair in a bun and put an intricately designed onyx necklace on, I walked out the door followed by 2 guards. When I finally reached the door to the reception hall, I took a deep breath, straightened my back and nodded at the guard to open the double door. I walked in and saw Martinien casually lounging on a low couch, sipping on a cup of wine with food and fruits spread on the low table.

He saw me and lowered his wine cup, while still lazily lounging, to greet me,

"Ah Clara, my favorite niece! You are more beautiful than the last time I saw you!"

I stood by the table in front of him and nodded at him,

"Martinien."

He raised an eyebrow, clearly didn't expect my cold return and addressing him with his name.

"Well, why don't you sit down? We have a lot to catch up, sweetie."

He smiled at me and I cringed inward. I returned his gaze coldly,

"The King won't return until tonight. I will order for a room to be ready for you since you came here uninvited. How long do you intend to stay here?"

His assessing gaze annoyed me greatly that I had to force myself not to clench my hands. Martinien leaned over to grab a handful of almonds as if he owned the place,

"Oh I intend to stay as long as I need to. No need to rush anything. Why don't you sit down and tell me about your well being here, sweetie. I see that you are pregnant now. Congratulations."

He lifted his cup in salutation. A mocking gesture. I was aware of him dodging my remark on his uninvited arrival. Ignoring his attempt to lure me into a conversation that might end up in me grabbing a silver plate and smash his face with it, I cooly responded,

"I have a lot of tasks to attend to. Please make yourself comfortable. A guard will show you your room."

His cynical smile appeared on his face and the silver plate idea was replaced with the urge to grab a sword and stab him in the heart right there.

"Like a queen, you are,"

"I'm sure you've heard of my inauguration and yes I AM a queen. Now if you'll excuse me."

I slightly nodded at him without waiting for his response and turned around. I could feel his burning gaze on my back as I walked towards the doors. Once the doors closed I ordered a guard to inform a maid to prepare the guest room for Martinien, and to keep his eyes on him and don't let him out until Vidor arrive. The guard bowed down and left. I walked back to my room -ascending 7 flights of stairs was quite a task especially in my condition, but the guards who walked me were really patient. The people had changed their attitude towards me once my pregnancy was announced and made public, and now every Tenebrian was ecstatic about the upcoming arrival of the baby.

Once I got into my room I couldn't stop pacing back and forth, thinking of Martinien's motivation in coming to Tenebris. What would he say? What would he do? What did he want? The nerves he had to come here! Marsila went into the room and asked if I wanted to dine with my uncle. I shook my head,

"No, Marsila. He must dine in his room and I will dine here. And please refrain from calling him 'my uncle'. 'The guest' will be sufficient."

I saw Marsila looked at me in amusement and for the first time I saw her smile. She bowed and left the room momentarily to inform whoever outside about my order. She then returned to help me bathe myself and changed my clothes. She was about to take an emerald green dress but I refused and told her I wanted the black dress that I wore on the inauguration dinner of me being a queen. It was a beautiful long sleeve black velvet dress with intricate golden embroidery started from the high collar, down right below my chest in V shape. I felt it was the perfect dress for the occasion as I knew I would have to see him again tonight. Marsila nodded in agreement.

When I walked outside the closet I saw Vidor already sitting down on the low couch with the food spread on the low table. He stood up and reached to hug me once Marsila was out. He released his embrace to look at me up and down.

"Beautiful."

I smiled and tiptoed to kiss him.

"Thank you, my love."

He held my hand and guided me to the low couch and started filling the plate.

"Vidor,"

He nodded,

"Yes, I know he is here,"

"You do?"

He looked at me briefly before returning his attention to the half full plate,

"You keep forgetting that there is nothing out of my watch,"

"Oh. Yes. I'm sorry."

He put the plate on his lap and softly kissed on my lips,

"You should stop saying sorry for anything that is not your mistake."

I bit my lower lip and he raised his eyebrows at me,

"Well?"

"well okay, I'm sorry."

He smiled.

"I'm doing that again, aren't I? I'm sor-- I mean okay."

He started to feed me while I was doing the same. But since I had been losing my appetite ever since the pregnancy started, not to mention Martinien's presence in the kingdom, I didn't finish my portion and let Vidor ate it all. I was nibbling on a slice of pear when Vidor casually said,

"You're wearing the dress to show him who's in charge, aren't you?"

I looked at him in amazement.

"I know you Clara, more than you know."

Before I could respond he continued,

"I have gathered a few of the council members to be here tonight, and you will be present."

I idly nibbled on the pear again,

"Why is he here? Did anyone invite him? I was never informed of this."

Vidor shook his head,

"I have my assumptions but we shall see what he wants."

I put the half eaten pear on the plate,

"Why don't you send him back to Lumien, Vidor? You're the King!"

"You have to know your enemy, and you, my Queen, must learn this no matter how deep the grudge you have for them."

I studied his face and felt the truth in his words.

"You're right. I will watch his every word and move."

Vidor smiled while handing me a cup of grape juice.

"Are you ready?"

I sipped on the juice and put it down.

"More than ever."

He stood up and scooped me in his arms and walked towards the balcony when I looked up at him quizzically.

"I don't want you to walk down the stairs."

I smiled at him and pecked on his chin,

"Aren't I too heavy for you now?"

"You weigh only an ounce to me."

I chuckled when he took off from the balcony, down to the reception hall floor and carefully put me on my feet in front of the double door. The guards opened the heavy door and I saw 2 rows of table filled with the red winged council members and Martinien at the far end. Everyone stood up upon seeing us entering the hall. Vidor led me to the throne altar and helped me sitting down on my throne to his left. I straightened my back and looked at each one of the council members before my gaze fell upon Martinien who looked arrogant more than ever. Say something stupid my dear uncle, please say something stupid and I'd be glad to end your life with my own hands.

When everyone sat down a royalty remained standing up and started,

"My King and my Queen, we--"

"Forgive me for coming uninvited my King and my... Queen,"

Martinien interrupted. All eyes were on him which apparently only encouraged him even further.

"But I felt the need to visit the kingdom as I heard the news of the Queen's pregnancy and I do long to see my niece."

The royalty, whose name I found later to be Renato and acted as the minister of interior of the kingdom of Tenebris, turned to face Vidor and bowed,

"Forgive me of my shortcoming my King, I was informed of Lord Martinien Lysander's intention to visit our kingdom an hour or two before his arrival."

Vidor nodded and looked straight at Martinien who maintained his arrogance gesture.

"Speak of your intention of coming here, Lord Lysander."

He smiled -that fake smile!- and bowed,

"As I have mentioned earlier I only wished to see my niece and personally congratulate the both of you for this joyous occasion."

The hall went silent. Everyone could sense all the lies that came out of his mouth.

"And I also wish to speak to you, my King, personally regarding... ah the previous topic we talked about many months ago."

Vidor, who sat motionless on his throne, spoke in a calm voice,

"Speak at once."

Martinien's eyes flashed with anger but he still maintained his composure,

"I wish to speak to you in private, my King,"

"I don't see the necessity of this to be discussed in private, Lord Lysander. After all the council knows about your plan to reunite the two kingdoms. Speak away."

Martinien changed his tactic,

"In front of the Queen? I don't think it's a good idea to talk about this at the presence of a female, my King."

Vidor's voice remained calm but everyone could sense the deliberate threat in it,

"She is the Queen of Tenebris and she is involved in the governance of the Kingdom of Tenebris. Do not prolong your beating around the bush Lord Lysander, or we shall delay this discussion indefinitely and you may return to Lumien at once."

Martinien licked his lips, the gesture that I had learned from a very young age that he always made when he was nervous, and continued,

"As you wish, my King. As of now Lumien is in a dire need of a king. The situation there has been very chaotic after the deceased King Julien, may he rest in peace, was murdered by a traitor who managed to escape."

I gripped the arms of the chair tightly in anger but I remained quiet. Vidor cut his retort,

"Aren't you governing Lumien now?"

"Well yes, my King, temporarily. The kingdom of Lumien needs a well established ruler and I believe the time now is right for you to step in to stop the chaos, and furthermore to finally and formally reunite the two kingdoms. And if I may add, the people of Lumien are longing to see their princess who has now become the Queen of Tenebris. With this I'm humbly asking you and the Queen to visit Lumien for a month or two or as long as you wish."

The hall suddenly filled with loud disagreement and refusal from the council members. This didn't sound right. I didn't know what game Martinien was playing but it was clear he was up to something nasty. Vidor called in his calm voice,

"Lord Lysander,"

The hall went dead.

"That is very kind of you to invite the Queen and I to visit. But I believe that you are aware that the Queen is due to giving birth in one full moon."

Vidor ignored his remark on reuniting the two kingdoms. Martinien eagerly nodded,

"Indeed my King, I am well aware of that. Which is why giving the birth in Lumien might be the perfect choice as it will be spring time by then and the Queen will be able to rest and relax without anything to worry about. And after all there is plenty of her loyal maids who will take a great care of her,"

"Are you telling me that my servants are not as loyal as yours?"

Martinien bowed down,

"Forgive me my King, that is not what I meant. I only wish all the good things for the Queen and I'm sure she misses her people too."

Renato spoke up,

"You are only talking about the King's and the Queen's visit to Lumien, Lord Lysander. What about the reunion of the two kingdoms? Why don't you speak about it now?"

Martinien looked at him without concealing his annoyance,

"I believe that will be settled once the King and the Queen arrive in Lumien, my Lord."

The council began to argue again when Vidor lifted his hand up,

"We shall discuss about this in a matter of day or two. The Queen needs her rest. Lord Lysander, Lord Renato, meet me in my study room in an hour."

Everyone stood up and bowed their heads, except Martinien, when Vidor stood and held my hand, helping me to get out of the seat. Once we were outside the hall Vidor scooped me in his arms again and flew us to our room. He gently placed me on the bed, poured a cup of water and handed it to me. He sat next to me while I drank from the cup. Taking the cup from me once I finished he drank the rest and placed it on the bedside table. He held my hand and looked me in the eye,

"Are you okay, lux mea?"

I had to close my eyes to hold my anger in check,

"He lied about the death of my father! He was the one who killed him!"

Vidor placed his hand on my cheek,

"Yes, everyone knew he lied. But you were surprisingly strong there. I must say I am proud of you."

I smiled at him and kissed the palm of his hand,

"Thank you."

He planted a kiss on my forehead,

"Get some rest, you need it."

I held his hand when he was about to get up,

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?"

He smiled at me. I moved to the center of the bed to give him space and he helped me undress before taking his space on the bed. He moved only to kiss on my protruded stomach and pulled the cover and draped it around us before pulling me into his embrace. He then caressed my stomach and back to soothe me.

After a comfortable silence I whispered his name,

"Vidor,"

"Yes, lux mea?"

"Do you think it's a good idea to go to Lumien?"

"I personally don't think so."

I sighed,

"Do you think we should go?"

"At the cost of your pregnancy due to the long journey? And the situation there as Martinien mentioned? No. I only care about your safety,"

Silence.

"Do you miss your people?"

I sighed again,

"I honestly do. But... but something is just off about it, isn't it?"

Vidor kissed the top of my head,

"Don't think about it now, alright? I will find out what he has in mind,"

"Okay."

I yawned and snuggled deeper in his arms. He continued to caress along my back up and down and soon sleep took over me.

***

The next morning I woke up to see Marsila dragging a giant suitcase out of the walk-in closet before going back inside. Curious, I got up and headed to see what she was up to. She and another maid were busy folding my dresses and other articles of clothing into another suitcase.

"What is going on?"

I asked them. They both were startled and quickly recovered to bow at me before Marsila proceeded to answer,

"My Queen, His Majesty ordered to pack for your stay in Lumien. You are about to leave this morning,"

"This morning? But that is so soon! And why did he not tell me this himself?"

"Let me help you get dressed, my Queen."

I noticed that Marsila dogded my question and she looked nervous. That was unlike of her. I let her dress me and said,

"I will not leave until I see the King."

Marsila, who was braiding my hair, cleared her throat and responded,

"It is the King himself who ordered you to leave this very morning, my Queen. He said there was no time to explain but that he would join you."

I was about to protest but she turned me around and sternly said,

"The situation here is unsafe for you and your unborn baby and the King is aware of that. I cannot provide you with a satisfying answer but this is all I can inform you."

This didn't feel right. Vidor wouldn't let me go anywhere by myself especially in my condition, let alone going to Lumien. I looked at the other maid who was looking at Marsila in fear.

"I have to see the King."

I turned around and made my way to the door when I heard Marsila mumbled,

"No you won't."

She grabbed me from behind to hold me in place and with another hand covered my mouth and nose with a funky smelling cloth. I struggled to break free but she was stronger than me and soon darkness claimed my consciousness.

***

I woke up with a groan. My head was throbbing and my nose and throat felt acidy. I guessed I inhaled whatever was on that cloth too much. My baby. I put my hands on my stomach, hoping that my unborn child was not affected from the ordeal. I got up from the velvet seat to sit up and assess the space I was in. It was a windowless carriage and I was alone in it. I looked at the door and saw that there was no knob in the inside. I frantically looked for a way out but found none.

Relax, Clara. Take a deep breath and start looking again, slowly this time.

I allowed myself to relax and cleared my burning throat. I was thirsty. The carriage jolted and I had to hold on tight to the seat in order not to fall. A bottle rolled on the floor and I caught it, and I saw a small basket with the contents spilled on the floor. Breads and cheese. I supposed it was my meal for this horrible journey. I opened the bottle and sniffed it -it was water- and greedily drank from it. After my thirst was quenched I gathered the stale breads and cheeses and put them into the basket and placed the basket next to me.

I thought of Vidor and what he was doing now. I tried to assess the situation I was in but I couldn't make any sense of it. Did Vidor really send me to Lumien even though the night before he told me he didn't want me to go? If he did, what would be the reason? Why couldn't he tell me himself? And why would Marsila put me down? Was Marsila working with Martinien? Was I actually being kidnapped? I realized that it was not only me and my unborn child who were in a great danger; Vidor could also be in one. I started crying out of fear for his and our unborn child's safety.

12