Lynnette

Story Info
Drew Finds Lynnette to be Just What He was Looking for.
6.9k words
4.59
6.3k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Day ten of sobriety brought something new, or rather took away something old. This morning when he awoke from his tossing and turning that he called sleep he noticed the shakes were missing or almost nonexistent in his hands. He missed his drinks, they helped him to pass out each night and not remember a thing for those 6 hours. Now though, every time he closed his eyes for sleep she was there, memories of his love were flooding back on him now.

​As he looked into the mirror today he saw a different him. Slowly he rotated his face from side to side. There was actually color to his face, in his cheeks and not just a bright red nose from the drink. The grey color he had grown accustomed to seeing had lessoned and blood had begun to flow freely. His eyes were still ugly and bloodshot but this was now from the lack of sleep not the abundance of alcohol.

He placed a hand on each cheek and pulled his face down into a funny one, as he did this it brought back one of the short dreams he had experienced during the night. His love was the star attraction and she had been pulling at his chin making those duck lips as she called them and laughing at him, really though with him because that laugh was infectious. He had begun snickering and blowing air from his nose and this had made her laugh at the harder and then it happened, the snort, it was the cutest thing in the world when she did that. At that moment they had absolutely lost it and had fallen into each other's arms in delightful laughter.

As he came back to the present he noticed something else new in the mirror, something he hadn't seen in years. His lips had pulled up into a small smile or you might call it a smirk. Even his ugly eyes were slightly more alive in this moment. While still smiling a small tear built in the corner of his right eye and slid down his cheek. The memory was good but it hurt at the same time. But pain proved you were alive, right?

​But enough about that, he needed to get ready for work; he had now been on time for 4 days and wanted to go for 5 straight. He grabbed his dress shirt off the knob of the closet door. He had forgotten how a crisp freshly ironed shirt felt, so cool and stiff on the skin. His permanent press pants still looked 'great', and his belt socks and shoes followed in quick succession. His shoes were still a wreck but he would get to those someday.

​Heading out the door he realized he had just enough time to stop and grab a coffee and bagel at the shop. The sun was out today and felt good on his face. The air was chilly though so he moved at a brisk pace. The smell of coffee just around the corner, the little ding of the bell as he opened the door surprised him.

The heads of the three baristas came up and flashed him a smile. The one named Lynette gave him a big smile and said, "Hi, Andrew, it's good to see you today. Haven't seen you for awhile, how have you been?"

He replied, "I am good, well maybe okay, alright, I just need an Americano light water please. Can you add a half bagel with cream cheese?"

Lynette moved quickly to be the one of the three to help him. She made eye contact with him and continued to make chit chat. He did notice her eyes, they were more than just pretty, they were kind. Her smile was constant and quite wide. He felt a smile creep up his face uninvited but he couldn't help it. He paid and walked to the end waiting for his new breakfast. It required him to chew but tasted way better then Scotch. Plus he actually felt like he could function again.

"Here's your food Drew", Lynette said. He felt the touch of her skin as she passed it and the coffee over. "Let me know if there is anything else you need", she said as she flashed that smile again.

"Thank you, I will" he replied in return. He moved quickly to the door and left for work.

​As he moseyed into the lobby today he noticed the crowd of people and heard the chatter of multiple voices. Stepping up to the security center with his card out, he was ready for once. The guard said, "Oh I see you had a good morning today."

Andrew cocked his head and said, "What do you mean?"

The guard gestured at his cup and said, "You got a phone number."

Andrew drew the cup back and saw for the first time scrawled on the side "Lynnie 555-555-5555 text me your order next time or if you need anything else. Nice shirt" Looking at the guard he shrugged and said "I guess so, I hadn't noticed."

​Wow, was he that out of it or just daft? He hadn't picked up on any cues from her. Maybe it had just been so long and he hadn't been paying attention to anyone at all for years that he was out of practice. Ha, he had gotten a compliment on his shirt, it seems the 32 minutes it took him to figure out how to iron it was worth every moment. Maybe polishing his shoes would be the next step.

As he stepped onto the elevator he pulled out his phone typed in her number and added her as "Lynette Kind Eyes Coffee Source". "I guess I have still got it" he said out loud.

Shirley from accounting turned around and said "What did you say?"

He replied with an embarrassed "Nothing", not realizing until just then he had spoken aloud.

As he stepped off the elevator and moved to his cubicle he heard from the doorway, "That's 5 days in a row on time, way to go Drew, we might not have to fire you after all."

He wanted to reply with just one digit but instead said, "Thanks" and ducked his head walking to his desk. As he sat in the chair he spun it and thought "Today is a good day."

Day 29- Drew got up with his first alarm for a change; I mean this was unusual, it never happened. Most often it was a wrestling match of at least 12 rounds, with his alarm finally winning the day and him dragging himself out of bed. Today though he was ready and had almost seemed to be anticipating the alarm. For sure all the exercise was starting to pay dividends with his energy level.

​He went quickly through his morning routine and found himself ready for work almost an hour early. Now what should he do with his time? He decided to head out early and enjoy his coffee and bagel at a table instead of on his walk to work. He actually enjoyed the buzz of chatter at the shop and could just sit and soak it in for some time. Out the door early he followed his nose to that alluring smell of coffee.

With a 'Ding' of the bell at the door he announced his arrival. He was greeted with the strong smell of roasted beans and assorted baked goods. He hardly noticed though because Lynette was there and looked up at him with a beaming happy smile. He really did love that smile it made his heart a fraction happier every time he saw it. "Good morning, Drew, you are up early today", she said.

"Yeah, I actually won the 'pillow fight' today", he said with a little grin.

His humor was not wasted on her she smiled and giggled. "You are a funny man" she said.

​He was not sure he agreed with her but he did say "Thank you". "I will have the usual coffee with an extra shot please. But instead of the bagel may I have egg white bites," He said patting his stomach, "I am trying to watch my figure, go figure" His grin followed and she laughed again. "I have been going for a walk every day and trying to get in better shape" he explained patting his belly again. "Not sure it's worked at all yet" he said looking down at his stomach.

"Here's your coffee and food, did you need it to go as usual?" She said.

​"No, I have a little extra time today I think I am going to sit down and soak it all in for a bit. Thank you for thinking of what I needed." Drew answered.

​Lynette smiled and said' "I am due for a break, do you mind if I come and sit with you?"

​"Please do, I would enjoy hearing more of your giggles. I have about 20 minutes; do you have a more favorite seat in here?" He eagerly replied, He hoped not too eagerly he didn't want to scare her away. Had to play this more cool.

​She led him toward a table in the front window and although it was by the door seemed to be in a little nook offering some privacy. The sun was streaming through the window and felt wonderfully warm making it all the more cozy. "How about right here," She asked?

​"This will be great" He said. "Let's sit for a bit" After getting settled, sipping his coffee and taking a bite of his food, he said "So much I don't know about you. Like I didn't know you had a kid and how long have you been married?"

​"Just one child and I have been divorced for a little over a year now. His choice of names for our son was the least of his bad qualities. Needless to say we didn't get along and seem to fight all the time." "How long were you married Drew?"

​"I didn't realize you knew I had been married, but it was a little over 15 years before I lost her to cancer a few years ago." He couldn't help but get somber when he spoke about her and a frown was on his face now. "Sorry, I miss her a lot, even more recently than I did in the past. I thought I would be with her forever."

​"Oh sorry, I brought it up. I shouldn't have that's your business not mine. I knew you were widowed a few years back but I didn't know what had taken her."

​He inquired, "How did you know I had been married? I don't think I have ever told you that."

​"I asked around, sorry, I guess I should have just asked you. I wanted to know more about who you were." She explained.

​He brushed it aside, "That's okay nothing to be sorry for. I want to know more about you too, I just haven't asked anyone yet." He smiled to show her it was just fine. "I didn't want you to think I was a creeper."

​She giggled at this and said "Why would you want to know about me?" While she asked she played with her hair and tucked it back behind her ear.

​A little self grooming, this was a good sign of her interest so he decided to take a chance. "I really like your smile and your eyes light up the room. You are obviously attractive to me so I wanted to know more. I just didn't feel right texting you about it, I wanted to talk face to face. So thank you for sitting down with me today."

​She smiled and a faint blush covered her fair cheeks. Glancing with sudden interest at the table she spoke softly "Thank you for the compliments, you are easy on the eyes yourself. Unfortunately my break is almost over but I want to keep talking with you. Would you be available to go to dinner with me on Friday night this week? No pressure, it doesn't have to be a date no flowers are required and we can go Dutch."

​Without even giving it a second thought he said, "Yes, I would like that a lot. I am in. Shall I text you about the particulars later today?" He hoped he didn't sound desperate by responding as quickly as he had. But he could really use some good company and laughter. He would have to remember to play it a little cooler then.

​"It's a date then, I mean not a date, an appointment." She said with that cute mouth of hers. "I better get back to work, text with you later."

​As she rose and went back to work he watched her move until he was embarrassed for her and the amount he was staring. "I better get going for work" he thought and departed with a Ding from the door.

Day 32- Drew checked the clock for the 13th time in the last 5 minutes it was still 4:38, not a number had changed since his last glance at it. Why was time going so slow today of all days? It was Friday night and he had his date, err meant appointment with Lynnette tonight at 7 pm. To say he was excited was a bit of an understatement. He was that and then some, along with that though was fear, what if she didn't like him or thought he was too old? Guilt as well because this was new, was he moving on too quickly? Could he still love his lost wife and pursue another?

He was giddy and happy though today for sure. He had spent last night picking out and putting together outfits for the date/appointment. One thing had become very clear to him; his style was old and stale. He needed a change and planned to shop a little next week. Just a few things though because he was slimming down already and wanted to get below 200 pounds before he shopped in earnest.

​That had brought him to another emotion last night, self doubt. He wasn't sure what Lynette saw in him. Either she was just desperate for a male companion or he was missing something. She had said he was easy on the eyes, but maybe she just meant his face. He had good features and his green eyes were quite vibrant at times, but his body was definitely from a war zone. The 'battle of the bulge' was the movie that best described him. So far his eating healthy and walking regularly had helped him shed 18 pounds but he had another 30 to go before he would be satisfied. That probably meant more like losing 40 pounds of fat because he intended to gain at least 10 pounds of muscle. He would get there eventually just not yet. So he was definitely keeping his clothes on tonight even if the date/appointment went perfectly.

​They had texted quite a bit since Tuesday morning's rendezvous. All the usual questions really, what were likes and dislikes when it came to food. Personality types and quirks they had. What she liked to do in her time off, he hadn't volunteered any info on this subject because up until 32 days ago it was drinking and spending his time drunk or passed out. Figured it would be best to keep that bit to himself, which could be the proverbial straw that ended her interest in him.

They had decided, well actually she had decided they should meet at Frank's, a local eatery about 3 blocks from his place. She had eaten there before and promised he would like something on the menu.

​He checked the clock now for the 14th time, success! It was now 4:43 about time to jam. He began cleaning up his papers getting them "organized" into stacks. To be sure it was only organized to him, he knew where every piece was but another observer would call it a mess. He didn't care what they thought though it was his desk. He closed the analysis report on his computer and shut it down for the weekend. He sometimes came in to catch up on Saturdays but that was before he had something else to fill his time, like actually living.

​After getting his desk ready, one last look at the clock showed 4:55, he could now leave in good conscience. Grabbing his briefcase he made a beeline for the elevators.

A few minutes later he found himself on the street in front and as he turned to walk home a flash of red grabbed his attention from one of the stalls across the busy street. It was a clothing shop and he decided to pay it a visit. As he got closer he saw it was a scarf. This would look great with Lynette's eyes. It was getting colder as fall wore on, so it would be a practical gift as well. He had read to never bring flowers on a first date but a thoughtful gift was appropriate. So he bought it and a length of blue ribbon to tie around to make it seem more of a gift. He hadn't bought anything for a woman in nearly 5 years so it felt weird but good at the same time and suddenly he couldn't wait until 7 to see her. He sure hoped she liked it.

Arriving at home he ate a snack to make sure he didn't get 'hangry' tonight. Checked on the reservations at Frank's making sure the table was a good one. Then hopped in the shower and threw down another shave to make sure he looked clean and sharp. His haircut received just yesterday was an attempt at looking younger, cut short on the sides to look a bit trendier, it styled nice and quick. He had chosen a bright olive green dress shirt and grey slacks with a black belt and shoes for tonight. That seemed to give him the best chance for her to notice his eyes not his waist.

Looking again at the scarf he had purchased for her he suddenly was worried that it was too much. But after a moment he decided it was do or die for him, so he scooped it up along with his jacket and headed out to meet her.

The walk even though only 3 blocks was short but with the crisp air exactly what he needed to clear his head. It was okay to go out with a woman he told himself, his wife would want him to move on to find happiness but for the 5th time today he apologized to the memory of her for it. He was glad he was a bit early he needed to pull himself together, he could do this, he needed this. As he rounded to last corner before Frank's he was surprised to see Lynette there already. Was he late? Looking at his watch he saw it was 6:45 she was just really early. He pulled the scarf behind his back a little trying to keep it secret for the moment. He waved at her with the other hand and saw her wave back and then look down shaking her head. What was wrong he wondered?

Coming up to her he wondered if he should hug her or shake hands. She answered that by passing his outstretched hand to give him a side hug. "Sorry I am early" she said. "I wasn't sure if I could find a taxi on a Friday but one pulled up quickly. So here I am."

She noticed his other hand had remained pulled back by his side so she looked to see if he was okay and spied the gift. He held it up for her and said "I saw this today and thought of you and those blue eyes of yours and felt this would compliment them nicely, plus it's getting colder." His face grew hotter with each word he uttered; he knew he must be in a full blush by now.

Grabbing it from his hand he watched her smile as she pulled the ribbon off and shook out the scarf fully. "Oh I love it! You are so thoughtful, thank you!" She said with a slight waver in her cute voice.

Looking down at her he noticed she quickly averted her eyes from his and there seemed to be tears in them. "Are you okay" he asked? "Did I blow it bringing a gift? I am sorry, I just thought you would look good in it when I saw it" he said.

"Far from it" she stammered, "this was very thoughtful of you. It caught me by surprise is all. Most of the men that have taken me to dinner haven't been nice, you are quite refreshing." Then she wrapped the scarf around her neck and looked up at him. Touching his arm and looking right into his eyes she seemed to whisper, "Thank you."

He had to admit she looked great in it and the contrast to her blue eyes and sandy colored hair made him feel pride for a moment, he had done well. "You're welcome" he whispered back having to avert his eyes to break the spell they both seemed to be under.

That's when he noticed she looked taller tonight so he mentioned it. She said, "yeah I am wearing wedges, just a couple extra inches for tonight, I didn't want neck strain from looking up all night. How tall are you 6'3" or 4"?"

With a grin he replied "I am only 6' 2" but I always wanted to be 6' 4" so thanks. Shall we go in and see if our table is ready early?"

As they went through the door he saw she had made a good choice with this place, it was where he would eat out if he ever did. It was quaint and clearly locals only, so quieter. Their table was ready and as he had requested was tucked back in the corner where they could find a little privacy in this very public setting.

After getting settled the server came over to get the drink order. She ordered a glass of red wine and then looked at him. "Just water for me please" he said noticing her eyebrow come up a bit. But she said nothing.

Their conversation turned to food and he noticed the easy way they spoke it wasn't forced the pauses were not uncomfortably long with each of them taking turns and making each other laugh. When it came time to order she got the steak and frites to his surprise and he ordered a spring salad with chicken, dressing on the side.

Of course they had to talk about how their orders seemed backwards and why he was ordering so light.

"I had noticed you slimming down a bit the last couple weeks. Must be all those walks you go on" she said.

"Yes, I have a few pounds I need to lose, I kind of let myself go when I lost my wife." He tried to catch himself and not say that last part but it was out before he could stop. "Sorry I didn't mean to bring her up tonight" he apologized.

12