Made in Death's Image 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She closed her eyes as she listened to the bones in her neck shatter- then suddenly, Vero was off of her—she heaved for air, looking over at the two confused. Vero and Pavel were wrestling near the doorway. The flames licked around them, and she slowly crawled towards the windows. Past them she could see the beautiful scenery of a cliff, and the distance of the ocean.

"Pavel w-why," Vero gasped loudly.

Grace turned, shocked at the realization of what allowed her to escape.

Pavel had staked Vero—his own ally to save her. Vero's hand reached out towards Pavel but before they could reach, his form turned to ash. Her dry lips parted as Pavel panted, standing slowly. By now, the ceiling was beginning to rain down with fire and rubble, the floor cracking dangerously. This old building had gone up hilariously fast, Grace dragged her body to stand as Pavel's eyes searched the room before landing on her. His eyes narrowed, taking a step towards her.

Think quickly pet, or you will die, Codrin's voice said.

Her eyes flicking down to the ground, and moving faster than Pavel, she reached for the bookcase. Pavel's eyes widened with realization as she heaved it over. It smashed into the floor—through the floor making it collapse.

"Grace!" Pavel screamed, falling into a lower level along with the caved in floor.

She didn't wait around to watch him fall, instead, jumping out the window not caring for the shards of glass that exploded around her. Pumping her arms hard, she moved towards the cliff edge, and without a moment's hesitation, she jumped. For a moment the night air floated around her and peace filled her heart, then she slammed into the ice cold ocean water.

FIFTEEN

Petro Fedir hummed a happy tune as he left his house and began the short walk towards the ocean shore of Odessa. In one hand, a fishing rod and the other, a bucket of nereis worm and another bucket empty but ready for ocean water. It was late, or perhaps early—four in the morning. The moon was bright and Petro preferred fishing with the coolest of early morning breezes, and not a single soul on the beach, it was peaceful and soothing to his soul. It was only a week ago that Petro's girlfriend of three years broke up with him and had moved to America, and two days ago that his eighteenth birthday came and gone without a person to visit nor one to wish him well. But, in a way that was alright with Petro, he was a simple man with no real aspirations or goals in life. He didn't mind the solitude, and in fact preferred it.

"It'll be good fish tonight," he said softly to himself.

He set down his buckets then his rod on the low dock before pulling his feet free of his shoes and letting them hang off the dock and barely touching the sea. Inhaling softly, he closed his eyes, allowing the sensations of the ocean to fill his nose and ears. Then, he opened his eyes and picked up his rod, then a nereis worm which wiggled in his fingers. Attaching it onto his bait, he lifted his rod to cast. Before he could however, his movements paused. From the sea rose a figure.

Petro's eyes widened as he watched a beautiful woman with milky flesh and medium length blonde hair climb from the ocean. She moved with tired grace, rising from the ocean and moving through the water. He watched the faded pink fabric of her undergarments torn and worn drooped away from her body, and as his rod dropped from his grasp, the last shreds of what she wore fell away.

"Whoa," he whispered softly, completely entranced by the mermaid lady.

Grace looked at him hungrily, and her wet lips parted. His eyes took her in completely, desire filling him. Her skin was dripping with small drops of water, her breasts bouncing with each step, her nipples perfectly perked from the cold. He inhaled slowly as she looked at him, her gaze soft.

"What's your name?" she whispered with a voice made of honey and silk.

Petro swallowed harshly, "P-Petro."

"Hello Petro," the beautiful mermaid lady said softly, "Do you live near here?"

"Yes, up the hill," he replied quickly.

So many scenarios suddenly ran through his mind, ones in which the lady seduced him, and with her bare and beautiful body connecting with him on every level. Petro inhaled sharply, imagining that this was the moment that his faceless and boring life became something more. His fingers twitched with excitement, and he reached for her slowly.

"Petro," she moaned softly, "I'm sorry."

His eyes widened, as she leaned in. However, the seduction he was expecting didn't happen. Instead, a cold, sharp pain hit his neck. A cry fell from his lips, and Grace drank deeply. She was on the brink of starvation and she wanted to drain this human being- wring them out of every drop of blood like a wet rag. His consciousness escaped him, and his body went slack. She caught him with ease, before gently placing him on the soft sand.

For a moment she worried if he'd tell anyone, but then brushed it off. A story about a naked woman rising from the ocean and biting him wouldn't go far. So instead, she leaned down, her wet locks brushing across his unconscious face as she easily found his home keys. Pulling them from his pocket she looked up to the sky where the moon was losing visibility as the dark night faded to that early morning blue, and the sun would be rising even quicker. As she stepped away, Grace paused. Looking towards the rod and the very particular nereis worm—the only worm that the tricky mugil ate.

"Oh Petro," she sighed as she walked up the hill of the quiet sea town.

With the sun slowly rising, she found Petro's home. After a quick search she found women's clothing and a photograph of Petro and a cute little blonde woman. It made her think of herself and Michael. Before she got lost in thought, she went and showered in the cold water of Petro's small abode. In the shower she saw a pair of scissors and a mirror sitting on the wall opposite the showerhead. She took her blonde locks and cut them as short as she could- but not bald. Rather, a very trim pixie kind of look. With that she got out of the shower and put on the somewhat tight clothing consisting of jeans, a white shirt, a brown sweater, and some brandless exercise sneakers. She looked at herself before she left. This was the first time in a while she could admire her own beauty. The new haircut was mostly to make her appearance less discernible but it also fit her quite nicely.

"Different," she smiled.

On her way, something caught in the corner of her eye. Her body froze, teeth digging at her bottom lip and Grace could only stare at the outdated rotary dial. The eidetic memory Pavel mentioned came in handy for other things. A while ago she recalled Ciel's burner phone number. She spoke silently with a prayer of hope before approaching the phone.

Michael yawned, stirring and waking. He glanced out the window, the sun had risen, and it was about 6am. Blinking hard, his eyes skimmed the back of the truck where a bed had been set up. Beside him Ceil was still asleep and sitting on the car's front was Lorenzo. Michael blinked again, looking around. A foggy morning mind confused as to what woke him up, his gaze scanned the area again. Beside him was Ciel's phone, which was buzzing and vibrating. He picked it up slowly, not recognizing the number.

"Hello?" he asked with a scratchy throat.

There was a delicate inhale, and then the familiar voice whispered, "Hello my love."

"G-Grace-"

SIXTEEN

Michael flew from the back of the car and out into the cold air morning without care for the loud slam of the trunk hatch. Instead, he paced back and forth, the overwhelming panic and fear in his heart expelling outwards. He could feel his hands begin to shake, and so many words became blocked upon his tongue. His heart beat so rapidly and harsh against his ribs he wondered if he'd explode. For a moment he wondered if this was real—was he still asleep in the car?

"Are you safe?" the words slipped from his mouth with urgency.

He could hear the familiar chuckle from the other end of the phone.

"For now, I've gotten away from Pavel. Michael, you need to go home and stay there."

His eyes widened, "W-What? What the fuck are you saying? I'm coming to get you away from this bastard."

"I have done so many things in my life, I will bring these things with us if we go now—"

"No," Michael commanded, "No, let me get you. Tell me where you are. We can worry about that Pavel shit later."

"No! You need to listen. Not this fight. Not for me. He will kill you and I couldn't live with that." she yelled, he could hear the pain in her voice, "You must leave me. I love you, the only thing alive in my body is my heart, and it beats for you! Because of that, I have to end this or simply die trying. That mortal heart of yours hasn't even beat for a lifetime and I'd selfishly let you snuff that out for me?"

"Grace," he cried, voice cracking.

"I won't let another person lose their life for me," she whispered softly, "I can't let you die, a-and Pavel is just too dangerous. Every one of the demons that haunt me are much too danger for you. Michael you're the best thing to happen to me, but I know you'll find love again."

"Grace, that's not your choice to make. I'm going to help free you from this. I'm not gonna let someone I care about die because all I could do was sit there and watch." Michael shot back with the same tearful tremble in his voice.

"Goodbye," Grace sobbed softly.

The call cut off when Grace hung up. Michael let out a noise of rage, his fingers curling as he grasped the phone so hard his hand went numb. Desperately to hear her voice again, he called back but with no luck. With his other hand, he wiped fiercely at his face trying to get rid of all tears.

"Michael," Ceil said softly.

He looked up to see both Lorenzo and Ceil now stood at the side of the car. As Ceil moved to rub his back soothingly, Lorenzo took the phone, examining the little screen with care.

"This is an Odesa number," Lorenzo mumbled.

Michael looked at him, "Can we track it?"

"Yes."

Excitement and hope spread in his heart as they piled back into the car. However, as the car's engine was brought back to life, a new worry filled Ceil. She couldn't help but think they were rushing into something deadly.

"We are going to find Grace. With luck Pavel will be on their trail- I'll kill him." Michael said with confidence.

********

As night broke, the fire upon the mansion which rested upon the cliff slowly burnt away, leaving behind ash and smoke. Pavel let out a snarl, pulling himself from the pile of rubble and standing slowly. He looked down at the metal pipe prodding from his flesh before snarling and pulling it out.

"Master!"

Pavel looked up, calculating in his mind. Only eighteen men out of thirty. He was beyond furious. Clicking his tongue, in a low voice he gave his orders.

"Prepare the vehicles we are leaving. She will come to us to end things."

SEVENTEEN

Grace walked down the side of the road nervously. She was certain Pavel didn't die in the fire and even more certain that he would come after her. Could she just keep hiding from him? Every time a car drove by her eyes narrowed, and she held her breath. It was morning now, and she knew Pavel wasn't stupid enough to come after her under the sun's watchful gaze but still...

Another car came down the road again, this time slower than the rest. Grace paused, stepping off the road and closer to the forest surrounding them. It was an old beaten up Beetle with plates so rusty the numbers could not be read. As it came into view, Grace noted the old woman driving, an older man in the passenger side and two children under the age of ten in the back. The car rolled to a stop beside Grace and she looked curiously at the driver.

The driver was wearing large circular glasses, her gray hair pulled back into a bun. In the passenger side, an older man with a long gray beard. While he had a deep set frown on his face, there was a light and heartfelt twinkle in his eyes. In the back, a smaller child in a baby seat, and a slightly older child in a booster seat watched her curiously.

"Well now where are you heading at such an early hour?" The man asked curiously in Ukrainian.

Grace's eyes widened and the old woman slapped her husband's arm gently.

"Mind your business or just offer her the ride!" she scowled, "Darling do you need a ride somewhere? We're heading north, let us help you out. Please ignore my husband."

She smiled at the car, "A ride would be amazing. Thank you. I-I'm heading north as far as you'll take me?"

"Of course dear," The woman replied.

Grace got in the car beside the two car seats. She felt a warmth bloom in her. Nothing like what she felt with Michael but still pleasant, nonetheless. She had experienced so much cruelty and violence as of late she almost forgot what peace and quiet was like. She appreciated the old couple's frailty in contrast to what Grace could only assume; their grandchildren. It troubled her though; the idea she'd never grow old. Elderly caring for their grandchildren so effectively was something Grace didn't really see in her human lifetime and something she never saw as a vampire.

"We really have come a long way," she whispered softly.

"What's that dear?" The old woman asked curiously.

Grace smiled, "I said I've come a long way, thank you so much for the drive."

"Think nothing of it," the man grunted, "I'm Bohdan, this is my wife, Galyna and our two grandchildren."

"My name is Grace, it's a pleasure to meet you all."

"You're awfully pale," Bohdan mused, "You don't get much sun do you?"

Galyna Hummed, "Robert, that's not our business."

"It's alright," Grace laughed, "I was- on a journey with some folks I used to know, then decided I'd like to go explore on my own for a bit, get some fresh air before I have to deal with them again."

The two exchanged a look.

"I hope he isn't a boyfriend? Can men be such trouble?" Galyna humorously commented.

Grace nodded, her fingers tightening, "Maybe at one point, god knows."

"Peepee," the toddler cried.

The older child frowned, "No Boshyko! You have to wait!"

"Peepee," the youngest cried again, "Peepee!"

"If you can't wait, we can pull over and find a bush," Bohdan said, making eye contact with the small child, "Remember? Watering the trees."

The young shrieked.

The eldest girl shook her head, looking up at Grace, "He is so embarrassing."

Grace smiled at the two, wondering what it would have been like to have children. So many human things her and Michael could never share now, Codrin took her life away and the more she looked at the beauty of humanity, the more she felt that hole in her heart grow. The emotions that curled around in her suddenly stopped by the hunger that cooled her it.

"Gwowl," Boshyko giggled.

The eldest girl looked at her, "Are you hungry?"

Grace swallowed the lump in her throat, "I'm alright."

"Here, I have a dumpling I saved from breakfast," Bohdan exclaimed, "It's not much ow—damn it, split the finger with the wrapping paper."

The smell hit her nose before she saw it. It smelt like honey being captured in a dew drop at first light. Her mouth instantly watered and unconsciously, her fangs dropped, poking at her bottom lip.

Within seconds, all peace that held the car was broken as fear broke out. Bohdan's eyes widened, a gasp catching in his throat. He saw the crazed monster-like look on Grace's face. His hand grabbed at his chest, and Grace could hear the cold clamp of his heart. The car swerved as Galyna saw her eyes next, the brakes slammed on as both children began to scream and cry.

"Bohdan!" Galyna cried in panic, "Oh god!"

Grace looked around, her hands shaking, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

The eldest girl was a mess of terror and cries. Grace could smell ammonia as the child wetted herself.

A numbness took over Grace's heart, and she pushed what little power she had in her veins due to the sun. Her eyes were glossy, and she mourned what she could never have. This world in the light wouldn't be for her. She breathed out slowly as she willed the car to grow silent.

"This ride never happened," she commanded, "In a minute you will awake, and you will not remember anything about the stranger who you offered kindness."

Galyna and Bohdan still, "This ride never happened."

All four slumped forward, and Grace slid out of the car. Holding her head low, and allowing the tears to fall, she moved into the forest as silent as the shadows.

EIGHTEEN

Pavel's fingers toyed with his cellphone for a moment before punching in a certain number. It rang only once before the line picked up. There was silence, and he knew his caller waited patiently for his orders.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

The old woman on the other end responded diligently, "I do not have much time left, and not much time to perform the ritual but I must do my part to serve those who walk the night. I will have the ritual ready."

"I'll be there soon," Pavel replied softly, for once his eyes softened, "You have been of great use to me Ferula Blackwell."

The older woman chuckled, "I have always served those I believed to be a worthy ally. Lord Codrin was the last I believe. This dynasty of vampires is one I will always serve.

********

Michael paced back and forth outside the car. He could feel his heart hammering against his ribs a wave of impatience and dread boiling inside him. Calmer, Ceil sat on the car's hood, tapping the side of her foot against the front grate. Lorenzo managed to hunt down and convince a hacker to track the number Grace had used and went to meet the man. Now, they waited patiently for his return. When he did, he did so with a confidant grin on his face.

"Odessa. She's in Odessa."

Michael was hopeful, but he also knew that wasn't it.

"Is there anything in Odessa for Vampires?" Michael asked, turning to Lorenzo.

"Nothing of value honestly. But further north in the larger cities- that's where the fun would be." Lorenzo said honestly.

"Yeah, so Grace would avoid that like the plague." Ciel interjected.

"Knowing her- No." Michael's retort was serious.

"What do you mean? Wouldn't she just run from the bastard?" Ciel was curious now.

"If anything, no. She'd walk right up to his doorstep and pull his heart out through his ass."

That's when it hit the group. Grace wasn't gonna just go into hiding- she was going to kill Pavel. Piling into the SUV they began driving with haste.

Lorenzo spoke quickly pulling out his phone, "If anything I'm convinced she is going to Lviv. It's the closest to the rest of Europe and therefore a vampire hub for when we cross the border. If Pavel is gonna take the throne it's there.

NINETEEN

"You have about ten minutes before the sun comes up," Michael chided, "If you don't want to die, I would suggest talking and talking fast."

Their vampire friend was positioned kneeling behind their van. His face was bleeding and beaten beyond recognition and the silver cuffs had cut so deeply into his wrists the flesh loosely held on. Michael had taken the lead in interrogation, his anger clear. Michael had spent so long stifling his feelings and having patience and focus. But all his reservations had faded the closer he got to Grace. Lorenzo had confirmed that he could smell remnants of Grace's scent at this burnt down mansion. There they found a vampire who was dressed like Pavel's men. Michael and Lorenzo had captured this vampire himself before he could inject himself with a vial.

1...345678