Mage and Consort Pt. 02

Story Info
Caught between two Mages, while a greater disaster looms.
18.8k words
4.85
3.9k
3

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 08/18/2023
Created 10/05/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Mage. It was an impossible, heady, terrifying thought. Anya wiped her hands, refolded the cloth mechanically, wet it in the basin -- oh, what a sticky mess it was, but she felt the power, still humming deep inside her, ready to be drawn on again, though she'd used much of it in that atrociously strong burst of talent.

Lady Jeharia and her silent husband would be thrilled. She would have the easy life she'd dreamed of, with servants, with a Consort of her choice -- but of course it would be Leo. Despite what he'd told her, she was sure that it was his power that had made the difference. His power that thrummed in that deep spot at the back of her sex. Without him -- well, she didn't want to think too much on that. She needed to finish cleaning, sweep up the mess, and make ready for class.

A soft noise surprised her, and Anya looked up just in time to see the door opening. But she'd locked it! Her mouth fell open, and belatedly she closed her legs and yanked the sheet over herself as Melina walked in.

"You --"

Melina surveyed the room, closing the door softly behind her. She'd used her talent to open the lock. As shocked as Anya was, the casual mastery unsettled her.

"So," Melina said. She gestured at the broken chair across the room.

"Get out," Anya hissed. "What are you doing?"

Melina smiled. "Let's talk instead about what you were doing. No, not the dull grunting and thrusting bit. What came afterwards, the real stuff."

Anya gaped at her. But she didn't have to be scared.

"Get out," Anya said, hoping her words sounded as stern as they felt. She raised her hand, felt the power gathering. "You can't push me around, Melina."

Melina smiled again, made the slightest gesture, and Anya's hair caught fire.

Two seconds later it extinguished itself, before Anya could even beat at it properly with the towel. The sheet had fallen back to her knees, and as Anya covered herself again she struggled not to cry like the stupid girl she was.

"I hope I've made my point," Melina said. "And your attempt just now shows how little you understand about this power you've stolen."

"It's mine," Anya hissed. The stench of her burnt hair made her nauseous, and the power inside her roiled, sickening her further. "My power. He's just --"

"Leo is not just anything, and we both know that. Anya, did you think I wouldn't notice the radical change in your power? I know what you're capable of, just as I know what all of our peers are capable of. The only variable that allows that sort of change overnight is a truly powerful Consort. Even our stupidest classmates would wonder if they'd witnessed this morning's ridiculous display from you of all people."

"You were spying on us," Anya said slowly. "You tested me yesterday, and now you just confirmed that I have this power. You're jealous, because you're not getting much help from your Consort."

Melina gave her an appraising look. "Not as stupid as you seem, are you. Then you understand why you'd better be extremely cautious, and hide Leo's strength."

Anya shook her head. "It's my strength, Melina. Leo unlocked something. I can feel it. And I'm not going to hide what I'm capable of. This is my future."

Melina sighed. "Let me humor you for a minute, and pretend that the power is your own. So, what, you think to be a Mage? You think that the Jeharias would hold onto someone with that level of talent?"

Anya swallowed. "Well, if they didn't, it's because I could find better employment elsewhere."

"At the castle," Melina said, smiling coldly. "Do you have any fucking clue what a nest of snakes that is? Do you have any idea the political maze I've learned to navigate? You'd be ground up and spat out into some ugly dungeon cell to have your power shaped and wielded by your betters. The only difference you'd see when I visited is I wouldn't take any pleasure in it. And all of this is moot, because in the real world someone will take Leo from you the moment they see what he is, and then you'll be nothing again. And Leo will face alone all the dangers a Consort of his power does."

Anya shook her head. "You're not taking him, Melina. I'll tell --" She paused, because what good would it do to try to pit Melina against Essia? Then it would be both of them competing for Leo, and Anya would still lose.

"That's right," Melina said. "You won't tell anyone, because there's no point. So I'll explain something. It serves me to have Leo stay with you, quietly. It's no accident that I was maneuvered into a Consort who's proven unexpectedly useless. The Savilia branch is in disfavor, and my patrons -- oh, never mind. The point is, any obvious moves I make will provoke their own responses. But the last thing I want is Essia snatching Leo with her fat little Royal Cousin hands. I take it we're agreed on that, at least?"

Anya pulled the sheet tighter against herself. Melina was working up to propose something, as though she were a partner. Surely that meant Anya still had leverage, somehow, if only she could find it.

"Exactly what kind of deal are you offering, then?"

Melina smiled. "Just so, Anya. The deal is this. We share Leo. Alternate days or hours or whatever that prodigy's constitution allows. And you sell it to him, because the alternative is me making riskier moves, ones that will put both of you out in the cold. And I will have him, in the end."

Anya stared at her. "Share him? Is that even allowed?"

Melina laughed loudly. "Oh, precious Anya, I wonder if poor Leo was forced to instruct you on how your own holes work. Allowed? I'm not even sure what you're referring to. You just tell Leo to do it, and do it with spirit, and to keep his mouth shut."

Anya's cheeks burned. "I'm not sure I can convince Leo of something like that. He seems very -- proper. Very devoted to his duty."

"Then tell him his duty is to protect you, and then shake those pretty tits of yours at him, or whatever you have to do to convince him it's what you want. Because this is the only path that will work. And this path may work longer than you're thinking. Long enough to land you and Leo both in a comfortable life in the castle, shielded from political intrigue, and with my protection."

"I'm not sure that's worth very much," Anya said.

Melina laughed again. "A fair point, but fortunes change, as you and I know better than most of the soft idiots here. Oh, Anya, I think I may enjoy your company more than I'd expected. You have some spine, after all. Now you'd better wipe the rest of the jism off your thigh so it doesn't stain your smallclothes. See you in class. And today is when you start learning control. Up until now it's been an all-out battle to squeeze anything from your talents, hasn't it? So stop thinking that way. I can't protect you if you go around showing off. As far as the world knows, Leo is a Journeyman Consort of mediocre power, and you're just enough less useless that the Jeharias will be satisfied."

Melina gestured at the sliver of wood still lodged in the plaster, and it flashed white-hot, searing Anya's eyes for a moment before crumbling as charcoal to the floor. And in that instant, Leo's seed stirred in Anya's center, drawn to Melina's strength.

It was that miserable moment that stuck with Anya for the rest of the day. Stolen power, reaching for its rightful place. It was a terrible deal Melina was offering, and it was still probably the best she could expect.

#

Leo wiped his hands nervously. The evening summons had surprised him, and at first he'd been relieved that it was from the Lady. His Lady. Not the other one.

He'd thought after this morning, perhaps he wouldn't even need the herb. The nimbus of power around Lady Tur, the perfection of their joining, the revelation of her power -- but none of that seemed to matter now. All he could think of was the dark woman leaning over him, putting him in his place. Lady Tur was in danger, and in the afterglow of their joining he'd been too stupid or too cowardly to explain it to her. He hoped she'd done nothing rash with her power.

When he knocked, Lady Tur opened the door right away, pulling him in by the hand and closing the door quickly. Alarmed, Leo deftly made the appropriate distance and bowed to her.

"Leo," she said. "I've been a complete fool. I've put you in danger, and it's taken me all day to work up my courage."

"I would put you at ease, if I can, my Lady. You need not concern yourself with my protection. Do you refer to your unexpected strength, and the interest others might take in your talents?"

She frowned. "You already understand more than I did. No, Leo, my worries are more specific than that. It is one of my classmates, Melina. She's the most talented of us, alongside Essia. She spied on us this morning, and knows what I'm capable of. Or more to the point, what you're capable of."

Leo frowned. The dark woman had a name, then. Lady Melina would be trying to work them apart, and he couldn't allow that to happen.

"My Lady, you are more talented than this Lady Melina. If not yet, you will be, with practice."

Lady Tur shook her head. "I truly doubt that's the case. Leo, surely you suspect by now that you're the one with unusual power. I can still feel it inside me, and it's not mine. Don't you see? You deserve better than me. Your power could turn a skilled woman like Melina into a phenomenally powerful Mage. That's your destiny, Leo, not with a backwater talent like me. She can protect you and give you a life that I never could."

Leo stared at her. "But that isn't how it goes, Lady. I will serve you for the next two years, and by then you will be a powerful Mage of your own. We will have to be cautious, of course, but --"

"That's a fairy tale," Lady Tur blurted. "We don't get an ending like that. Melina told me that the best we could hope for is a comfortable life with her in the castle. Her only condition is that she -- that you --"

"That I give her my Seed," Leo sighed. "Lady, I must admit something shameful now. This Lady had already convinced me I must do as much, to protect you. I see she has told you the same story."

"Oh," the Lady said, sitting down abruptly on her bed. "I should have guessed. She thought you would be easier to bully, so she went to you first."

"She was correct," Leo said, feeling miserable. "And I endeavored to give her my Seed. But, Lady, I mostly failed. Just as I did with -- Lady Carwen. Do you not see the pattern? *You* are the difference. The logical conclusion is that it is your true talent that draws out what Seed I possess."

Lady Tur was staring at him, mouth open. "You -- already did that with her?"

Leo swallowed. Perhaps he should have been less forthright. "Yes, Lady, but only under duress. She led me to believe it was the only way to protect you."

The Lady stared at him, turning red, and Leo knew enough of her to realize that this was something about the joining. It certainly had been squalid and inappropriate. And what she'd done with her tongue --

"It didn't work," Lady Tur said slowly. "What -- could you be a little more explicit?"

Leo nodded, sighing. "I believed myself ready for the act. She took me fully with her mouth, and there was -- adequate emission, but very little Seed."

Lady Tur stared at him. "Melina -- swallowed it? Is that how it works?"

"Yes," he said. "It brings the Seed quickly inside the body, and perhaps she chose it from experience. Ladies differ in which method is most effective."

Lady Tur's mouth hung slightly open, and suddenly Leo believed she was going to suggest trying it. He hoped so. He needed to displace that ugly memory of the other Lady, with her deft tongue. Lady Tur had lips that looked softer, and even if she did not have the experience --

"So you still functioned, the way you would with -- an ordinary woman?"

"No," Leo said defensively. "There was some Seed. This was not an ordinary joining. That would be --"

"Inappropriate," Lady Tur said wearily. "But hardly in your control, is it? So you think that I'm that much more powerful than Melina, since she could barely draw anything from you? But she also admitted difficulties with her assigned Consort. Perhaps the issue is not my power, but Melina's own deficiencies. Maybe we can use that somehow."

Leo paused. "You have a point, Lady, but there is also the issue of Lady Carwen. It was my constant regret that I could rarely provide her with much Seed."

"But everyone knows Lady Carwen has barely any talent left, and is bitter about it. And she's so old and flabby, I'm amazed you could even --" The Lady blushed.

"It is what I am trained for," Leo said stiffly. "The considerations you may be thinking of have little bearing. It is your talent that my Seed is drawn to, not -- your other qualities."

Lady Tur's face turned a deeper red. "I suppose it's important for me to remember that. You're doing your duty."

"Yes," Leo agreed, not sure what she was getting at.

"So if I tell you that your duty is to protect both of us by agreeing to -- meet with Melina regularly, will you be able to do it? And do whatever helps you produce your Seed?"

He hesitated. "Yes, I can accept that, Lady. I dislike it greatly, but I will endeavor to do my duty to you in that fashion."

Lady Tur nodded, and he didn't understand her expression. "Would you sit with me?"

Nodding, he sat carefully at her side. This close, he could feel her talent. It pulled at him, and to his relief, his manhood responded.

The Lady put a hand to one shoulder of her shift, and suddenly her bare breast popped out. Leo stared a moment at it, then belatedly met her eyes.

She shifted closer, and it was obvious what she wanted. Not so different from last time, except maybe she preferred him to undress her this time. Leo leaned over and carefully planted a kiss on her tiny, precious nipple. She shivered and put a hand on his shoulder.

A hand on his shoulder was acceptable. Lady Carwen did that sometimes, to help guide him without having to say everything. This morning's spectacular results answered any guilt caused by his idle thoughts. Leo put an arm firmly around her back, working his lips around her nipple. Once, Leo had tasted some rare orange berries from the east. Lady Tur tasted nothing like that, but neither did she taste like Lady Carwen. Though it had been so long since Lady Carwen had wanted him to use his mouth like this.

There was a clattering sound at the window, and suddenly Lady Tur's hand gripped his upper arm.

"Stones," she gasped.

Leo pulled away from her in surprise, listening.

"No, Lady," he said gently. "It is hail. Usually rain and thunder accompanies it. Have you not seen it before? It is not uncommon here during summer."

"Ice," she said slowly. "Yes, I have heard of that. I thought it was another stonestorm. You must think me so naive."

"Never," he said, surprised at his vehemence. "No, Lady, you merely grew up far from this coast. I was born in the city. I remember the true stonestorms, before they weakened. My parents were killed."

She stared at him, and he immediately regretted saying it. It had nothing to do with his duties. He hadn't told anyone here, and none of the apprentices talked about their old lives anyway.

"Lady, I was very young," he said. "It matters little. I should instead have said that today is a safer time. And the Mages have learned better how to protect us."

Lady Tur looked at him a long while. "Leo, would it be more difficult for you to provide Melina with Seed tomorrow morning, if you joined with me tonight? Tell me the truth."

Leo was caught unaware. Her nipple was erect, deep pink-purple.

"Yes, Lady," he said weakly. "I regret that it might be. But even if all was advantageous, I have doubts. She is not you."

"Thankfully, no," the Lady sighed. "But we have to satisfy her. I mean, you do. Can you try other ways? Maybe it shouldn't be her mouth. Or maybe -- I don't know. Maybe you have to do exactly the things you did for me."

Leo shook his head. "I have not heard that such things matter for the Consort."

"Maybe you heard wrong," Lady Tur spat angrily. "Just do it, please. Do it for me." She rearranged her shift to cover her breast and didn't meet his eye.

"Lady," he said, standing slowly and bowing. "I would do anything necessary for you. I will do as you ask, for Lady Melina."

"She's no Lady. But if you must, call her Lady Karlov. No reason to anger her more than necessary. She's dangerous. Consort. Please be careful."

Leo flushed. This Lady confused him so. "I will satisfy this Lady Karlov, and I will always be there when you ask. It is my duty, Lady. My duty alone."

#

"Forgive me, Lady Charlotte -- but why? Why doesn't the Origin of the storms turn with the rest of the sky? I was taught that the evil of women and men caused the Sky to fix it above us, but then why over the Western Ocean? Are there particularly evil people there? I must apologize, as I know my questions are ignorant and perhaps offensive."

Lady Charlotte smiled faintly. "There is nothing offensive about curiosity, Anya. Perhaps no one talks much of these questions because there aren't answers any better than what you were taught. No, I suppose I don't believe that it was placed there to punish some distant people. I agree with the Naturalists, that we may yet discover and explain the patterns of the storms. But in any event it is believed that as one travels into the ocean, the storms do not grow significantly worse, and probably begin to weaken if one travels far enough, though none have risked such a journey and returned. As you know, the stones do not fall straight, but move ever eastward as if launched towards us. Perhaps we are the ones being punished, then."

"But other meteors come from the east," Anya said. "And they have origins as well, but in the stars beyond. Why does only one storm originate in the Sky?"

Lady Charlotte frowned. "You may discomfit some by comparing the storms to ordinary meteors. Not me, of course. The stonestorms are as they are, and we are all lucky for the Castle's protection. I would love to know the answers to your questions as well, Anya, but why this sudden interest in storm lore?"

She swallowed. This topic wasn't even why she'd stayed after class.

"Lady, I'm afraid I have a different question I'm avoiding. You surely know my paucity of talent. And it happens that my financial position is quite perilous. I did not enter the Jeharias' service with a fine understanding of contracts, and now -- well, they've talked about selling my Contract to the Castle. I'd almost prefer that at this point, but I fear making any hasty decisions. There are unpleasant rumors about life in the Castle for one of my mediocrity, and I thought to ask advice."

As Anya talked, a strange expression came over Lady Charlotte's face. Almost fear. And now her instructor answered in a very low voice.

"Anya, I urge you under no circumstance to hope for employment in the Castle. Such was my longing at your age, and thankfully I was forced into a different path. Your talents are greater than mine were, and you might indeed be of some value in the Castle. But that is not a Contract you should ever accept, if you have any alternative."

"But why, Lady Charlotte? I have heard of the luxuries there, the fine food, the sharpening of one's talents, which I sorely need. I have had so little time to learn my abilities, and the Jeharias will not pay for more schooling. In time perhaps I would find a way to rise in status --"

"No, Anya," Lady Charlotte interrupted, before lowering her voice further. "The Castle is not the place to hone your abilities. It is a truly dangerous place for ones like us, too weak to challenge the stronger. There are hidden costs to that luxury, and chains that are difficult to explain. Fight for your Contract with the Jeharias, Anya. If you somehow find your way free of the Contract, I will put in good words for you as an instructor. I am afraid there's little more I can do. I'm sorry, Anya, but that is all the advice I have. If you would like to talk further of theoretical matters, I am always interested."