Maleficus

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fairies don't generally take to humans, let alone become a familiar to a witch," Darla said, her eyes sparkling at the sight. Charles was about to ask his mother what she meant, however, the rear door to the council chamber opened causing the room to become silent. A chill ran down his spine as the council members took their seats around the table.

"Approach Mora and state why you have come before us?" asked the old wrinkled man seated at the center of the table. Charles watched as his grandmother approached the dais, her head held high, her frost blue staff appearing in her left hand; snowflakes drifting off the head of the staff as the butt end of the staff clicked along the floor.

"We have come before you this day to present my grandson, Charles Dickerson, before this council. To have his name inscribed into the codices of magic," Mora said, proudly.

"Then have him come before us," said the woman to Mora's left. Charles didn't want to do this, yet he didn't see a way out of this as his family pushed him forward. "Are you Charles Dickerson?" asked the woman before summoning the codex from thin air. Charles tried to keep the shock from his face as the three foot tome appeared before her.

"Yes," Charles said tentatively.

"Why now, a boy of what, sixteen shows himself before us?" asked another woman to his right.

"It wasn't my idea," Charles answered wishing just to return home.

"Are you saying you don't wish to be here, or that you have no interest in magic?"

"Both I suppose," Charles admitted. Rolling his eyes at the gasps that came behind him, his family just couldn't or didn't understand he just wanted to live his normal dull life. Impatience rose within him as he stood there before these strange people who knew nothing about him.

"We hereby recognize the son of Steve and Darla Dickerson, Charles Dickerson into the coven of the eternal flame," the leader said after a few moments of whispered bickering. "This might not be what you want young man, though your magic is surging forth and it needs to be taught. If not it, would be harmful to you and those around you that you call friend. We have no wish to have another witch hunt on our hands, when it can easily be remedied to have you trained," the old man said before filing out of the chamber.

"Here, you'll be needing this," Steven said, pulling out an old fashioned key from the folds of his robe. "Insert it into any door lock on this side it will open to any room in our home, you just have to think where you want to go. It works in reverse as well, so you don't have to go through the gateway anymore if you don't want to," he said, placing the key in his son's hand. "Now, you don't have to choose what school to study under, but you need to understand what you are and how to control the magic that flows through you," Steven said, placing a hand on Charles shoulder.

"Your father is right Charles; this place is better for you than that high school. Who knows? You might enjoy it here, plus that fairy wouldn't have chosen you if she didn't think you belonged here," Darla said, with a hint of jealousy.

Months had passed since he was brought to this pocket dimension that was created after the Salem witchcraft trails. Where people like him could practice their art without the persecution that had dogged them since the fall of Rome. Charles sat quietly against the balcony's stone wall that overlooked the village across the hills from the tower. His new friends Larry, Moe, and Curly as he called them, rested in their stone forms, their shadows playing across the textbook he was currently reading. He couldn't wrap his head around elemental magic, nor could he control the dead which ended with his own minion chasing him around the summoning circle before his instructor sent it back to the ether. Which only made him even more of an outcast, given he had yet to pick a school of magic to study. Sighing, knowing these people had been here for years studying just what they wanted to be. He on the other hand felt the pressure on him every time he went home. His parents always wanting to know how his studies were going, offering to teach him as their own parents did for them. That too ended in failure when he accidentally killed his mother's prized rose bush.

While a part of him was glad that he didn't have the magical powers that everyone displayed in various fashions. However, the more he poured through the libraries tomes it just made him envious as he alone was the abomination that didn't belong. However, he had come to enjoy the company of his two companions, George always watching out for him when he slept. Though Charles had the suspicion he just wanted to raid the fridge when he wasn't looking, noting the numerous times his favorite pudding packs had gone missing. Then there was Selene. It took him two months just to understand the fairy language, his mother and aunt always cooing to her to make a nest on the upper floors of the home. From what he could gather, once a fairy made a nest it wouldn't be long before others followed suit. He had seen Selene making something that resembled a cottage on his wall. He just didn't have the heart to tell his family about it, knowing his room would be turned into a fairy resort. His parents already barged into to his room enough these days Charles didn't need them making a shrine for Selene and her friends. That would just invite every sprite, brownie, gnome, and fae in the area to his home. Tossing the current elemental text aside, blowing out a frustrated sigh, knowing it would do him no good.

"See you guy's tomorrow," Charles said to his stony friends, as he pulled his key out of his pocket. He could never get used to how he could so easily transverse between the two realms with a simple key. Crossing the threshold into his room and tossing his bag onto his bed as Selene zipped off to continue working on her tiny home. Morphing back into his original form, George flew to his favorite perch on the shelf above his bed.

"I knew it," Darla said, bursting into his room. Charles groaned as she eyed Selene's growing structure pulling out evergreen twigs from her pocket. Offering them to Selene, their red berries shining in the light as Selene buzzed around her opened hand before snatching up her gifts. Charles listened as Selene hummed as she went to work adding the twigs to the main structure of her small home. "You should have told me she was building a nest," his mother said sternly.

"And have you and everyone else barging into my room at all hours of the day," Charles said curtly, "where it would be cluttered with any and every assortment of thing's to please Selene?"

"You can understand her," Darla said in shock. Her mind raced with possibilities, wondering if this was the reason her son couldn't use normal magic.

"Yes and she said bring more," Charles said reluctantly. Rolling his eyes at her wide smile, exiting his room, leaving his door open as she went to gather more offerings for Selene. Over the next few hours as his family came and went leaving items for Selene to add to her new home. His grandmother leaving neat rows of moss Selene would use to cover the roof of her home. His aunt leaving strings of phosphorescent fire berries to hang in and out of her home. His father left boards split from the thin twigs that could be bent while not splintering as Selene weaved her gifts through the branches his mother had left for her. By the time dinner was ready her small home was set, anchored to the wall by nothing more than webbing from abandoned spiderwebs. As Charles ate silently at the dinner table he could feel their eyes on him as Selene sat on his head. Weaving small braids in his hair as he inhaled his food, knowing they would want to talk about how Selene's home was coming along.

"So how is her home coming along?" Darla asked, numerous choice words ran though his mind knowing he had almost got away.

"It's finished," Charles sighed. Knowing they would just raid his room if he didn't tell them. They had done that enough for one day, and Charles was getting chafed that they couldn't see they were intruding on his solitude.

"Then we'll make a shrine for the fae underneath..." His aunt began to say before Charles cut her off.

"No, my room is already crowded as it is, I don't want it filled to the brim by sprites, gnomes, and the other fae. So if you want to do that fine, just not in my room," Charles said, annoyed that they wouldn't bother speaking to him first.

"But don't you know how much of a blessing it is to have a fae in the home?" she asked, perplexed by his actions.

"Well, they won't be cluttering up your room now will they?" Charles said, hastily getting up from the table. Slamming the basement door behind him knowing they would never listen to him. Pulling out his key wondering if he should just move into the tower like his teacher had suggested months ago. Storming into his room taking his bag from his bed, calling to George holding out his hand as he took his place on his ring finger. Slinging his bag over his shoulder as he heard the basement door beginning to open. Charles had no wish to speak with them when they wouldn't listen to him, therefore he saw no point in continuing the same conversation. Inserting the key into the lock he had no real destination in mind, only one thought he needed a teacher as he turned the doorknob.

Crickets chirped from beneath the fallen leaves that littered the ground, owls hooted from the branch's over head as Charles exited from the broad trunk of a yew tree. Spinning around, trying to catch the door before he was trapped in the dark forest of Venefizas Haven. His fingers tried desperately to pry the door open, still it seemed futile as he watched the seam of the door fade into the trunk. Leaving Charles stranded deep within that unexplored forest, fear began to well in his heart as the warnings his teacher's gave him rang in the back of his mind. Sending Selene and George to see just how far he was from the tower, watching their forms disappearing through the thick branches. His nerves were on edge as he stood alone as Selene's light faded from view. Pressing his back against the tree as the seconds passed, his mind creating monsters as his fear rose. Shaking his head he couldn't allow his fear to rule his mind, he needed to have a clear head if he was going to make it out of the forest. Charles blew out a sigh of relief as he saw Selene's light in the distance.

"Do you want the bad news, or the worst news first?" George asked, coming to a rest on his shoulder. Hanging his head berating himself for getting into this situation in the first place.

"Umm... the bad news first," Charles said, pinching his nose.

"A storm is coming, and the tower is over thirty miles away due northwest," George said, pointing the way. Sighing as his shoulders sagged, Charles banged his head against the tree, contemplating on if he should brave the storm or find some place he could take shelter for the night until the storm passed. Looking to his two companions, if he was alone, Charles would try to brave the storm, yet they wouldn't last long before the cold would take hold of their small bodies.

"Alright, who feels like camping for the night?" Charles asked, setting down his bag. "First things first, we need a shelter from the rain." As he finished, Selene flew through the air, producing a loud whistle as she flew in circles around the area, buzzing, scrapping, rapid chatter filled the air. As a swarm of fairies poured from the honeycomb hive, gnomes filed out of the knots in trees, little hammers in hand as they built the frame of the lean-to. While the fairies layered the roof with broad fat leaves, layering them, so not a drop of water would seep through. As the first claps of thunder roared overhead, rushing back to their own homes as the first drops of rain was heard in the canopy. Grabbing his bag, ducking underneath the lean-to as the heavens released its might on the ground below. Selene dove into his shirt as the rain chilled the air around him, George rested against his chest as Charles laid his head on his bag. His eyes growing heavy as the shower pulled at his weary mind, unaware of the shadow lurking in the branches overhead.

Stretching as he woke, the dripping of raindrops echoed in the dense forest, yawning, watching his breath come out in clouds of fog. Shivering in the cool morning air, knowing the sooner he began his trek, the warmer he would be. Dismantling the lean-to scattering the pieces around the area, leaving a small gift for their help. Heading off in the direction George had pointed out last night, hooking his thumbs around the straps of his bag and heading off on the thirty mile long trek. Watching as Selene darted around, returning with enough berries and nuts to fill his empty stomach. Still unaware of the shadow trailing him from high above, him thanking his companion as she rested on his head returning to the braids she had started the night before. As noon rose resting his tired legs Charles leaned against a fur tree, not caring if his clothes became covered in sap. The rustling of the leaves above him got his heart racing as a shadow fell from the canopy. Before he could get to his feet a tall fae elf thrust the head of her staff at the base of his neck.

"Rubrum vis globus." Charles felt the magic stir as her energy arced down the length of her staff. Forming a red energy ball at the head of her staff, raising his hands in surrender as sweat beaded down his brow. Selene flew into her face stretching out her arms as she spoke rapidly. Looking passed Selene as Charles could only guess at what she was telling her about how they got there. Looking down at the ball of energy, feeling his skin begin to bake under its heat. Relief surged from his body as her magic faded, her staff moving away from his throat, yet Charles didn't feel like he was free just yet. "Odd encountering a witch in fae lands who doesn't use magic to defend himself. Tell me man child, why is that?" she asked, her honey blonde hair floating in the air. Leaning on her staff, her green dress doing little to hide her lithe body.

"Because I can't," Charles said, feeling his skin heat underneath her violet gaze.

"I feel the magic in you."

"That may be, however, I'm a poor student of elemental magic and necromancy," Charles said, hanging his head.

"Are there none to teach you art of the arcane?"

"The what now?" Charles asked confused, as he poured over everything that was in the tower's library and had never once heard the word arcane.

"Fae magic," she said matter-of-factly.

"Umm... no," Charles said, scratching his head.

"Surely you have a teacher, you're using it now to speak my language," she said, crossing her arms.

"Wait, I thought you were speaking my language," Charles said, growing quite confused by the whole conversation.

"Come, one such as you cannot go untrained." She sighed shaking her head. Leading him deeper into the forest Selene buzzed overhead energetic to be back within her own land. Zipping to and fro, chatting with friends she hadn't seen in months, before flying back to his shoulder and resting before flying off again. "You're very relaxed with your control over your familiar," she said, over her shoulder.

"Well, it's not like I could do anything to her in the first place, plus I have a suspicion if I did it would be very, very bad for me," Charles said, studying his surroundings as they pushed deeper into fae lands.

"Yes, we take care of our own, especially when they are mistreated," she said, darkly reminding him to keep that in mind throughout his years. "We are here," she said, lifting up the branches that hid the entrance to the fae village. Charles contained his shock at the vibrant colors that dominated the village, the wooden huts decorated in glowing mushrooms, and lichens that hung from the rafters of their rooves. Illuminating the pathways that lay between the cluster of homes, looking up Charles marveled at the brightness of the stars. "Wait here and do not move," she said, sternly. Charles wasn't about to wander about, not when he was almost blasted to pieces hours ago. Minutes passed as he sat patiently in the soft grass, wondering if he could get home from here. Watching as Selene raced after the fireflies that darted too closely for her liking, before diving down into the grass returning with freshly cut blades of grass in her arms. Returning to her spot on his head weaving the grass into the braids she had carefully woven together over the past few days. Unaware that he was being watched from the shadows as he interacted with Selene. Rising to his feet as he saw his guide return with an elderly man in tow, Charles's fingers drummed against his legs as they drew near.

"So... this is the one you spoke of?" His purple eyes running down Charles' body taking stock of the boy then to the fairy that was building a nest on his head.

"Yes master," she said, from behind him.

"Altair here says you came to our land accidentally," the elder asked, placing his hands behind him.

"Well, I thought I was heading to the tower like I have been doing all these month's now, somehow I ended up here, if it wasn't for the storm last night I would probably be at the tower now," Charles said, shrugging his shoulders.

"And just how have you been traveling to this realm?"

"My father gave me this key," Charles said, taking the old key from his pocket. Holding it out for the old elf to see the enchanted item before he returned it to his pocket. "He told me as long as I thought about where I wanted to go it would take me to any part of the tower."

"So just what were you thinking at the moment you inserted that key?" the elder asked with a knowing look.

"That I needed a teacher..." Charles stood in silence as it finally dawn on him. The key had taken him to where he needed to go, he just couldn't see it at that time. "You mean the key brought me here for a reason?"

"Yes," he said, nodding his head. "It is rare for a human to be able to channel the arcane, it's no wonder you could not find a teacher at that tower of yours. The fact that Selene there," pointing to the top of his head, "has taken to becoming your familiar, is no small stroke of luck, like all fae, we are drawn to the arcane. If she can survive in your world that tells us that you do indeed extrude the arcane magic. To the point that the smaller fae could survive in that world, which could also be very troubling to us given human nature. Altair here has been watching you since your intrusion into our land still we are pleased at what she reported," he said, smiling warmly at the boy. "But your own family must be worried about you storming off like that, and no word has come from you for two days. Now, if you'll be so kind as to pull out that key once again." Charles didn't hesitate, within seconds the elder rolled the key between his thumb and fore finger. Muttering a spell below Charles hearing it, then watching a blue glow settle over the old brass key before fading away. "Now, you may return home without the dangerous trek through the woods, you are free to return in the morning. We shall see if we can't get you sorted out with the proper teacher," he said, patting Charles shoulder before leaving him stunned and alone in the grove.

Charles staggered into his room as he crossed the threshold of his door, reminding himself never to do that again without some sort of plan. Dumping his bag into his desk chair, Selene dashed off to her cottage adding bits and pieces to her home from their time in the fae lands. Falling haphazardly into his bed and drifting off within seconds as his head touched the soft down pillow. Steam bellowed out from underneath his bathroom door as he washed away his time in those darkened woods. Reaching for his towel that hung inches away, something touched his hand, jerking back, wiping away the water from his eyes a three inch brownie sat comfortably on the towel rack. Smiling warmly at Charles as his brethren tidied up his disorganized bathroom. Taking the towel from the hanger drying off behind the curtain muttering to himself, then remembering what the fae had warned him about last night. Wrapping the towel around his waist before stepping out of the shower watching his new guest scurry out from under foot. Selene came zooming in as the bathroom door opened chatting happily with the brownies', before whispering in his ear that they wanted milk for their work.