Man of God Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Father Romano," said Finneran, "why were you wearing armor under your robes?"

"Because Commander Troy ordered all Police Officers to wear armor during this period of heightened alert." said Romano.

"Why is the Police on heightened alert?" asked Finneran.

"I don't know." said Father Romano. "And it's not my place to ask."

"Are you qualified to carry a service weapon, Father?" asked Finneran.

"Yes." said Romano.

"All the Chaplains have to qualify with guns?" snarled Finneran.

"Yes." said Romano. "We're Police Officers."

"Bit of a contradiction, wouldn't you say?" said Finneran.

"No." said Romano. "I've been a Police Officer far longer than I've been a priest and a Chaplain. I would not want to have to use a firearm, but if I had to, to save a fellow Police Officer's life, I would do what I had to do."

"So your intercepting the gunfire meant to kill Croyle isn't that big a deal?" asked Finneran. "You knew you had armor on, you're a Policeman first. Your act may have been brave, but it wasn't anything another Police Officer wouldn't do?"

"That is not for me to decide." said Romano.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was brought to the witness stand next. Finneran had been warned by Silas (and Chief Moynahan) that picking a fight with me was not in anyone's best interest. Finneran ignored the warnings:

"Commander, why did you send Captain Croyle into that Bank?" asked Finneran.

"I didn't send her into that bank." I said. "She was conducting personal business there."

"Why didn't you suspend Captain Croyle for giving up her gun?" Finneran demanded to know. "Not to mention her shooting a man dead?"

"Because in my considered judgement," I said, "Captain Croyle's actions were proper in every way, and I wanted to make sure that statement was made by keeping her on duty."

"If this had been a rookie Patrol Officer that had given up his or her gun," said Finneran, "and had shot a man dead, would you have acted in the same way?"

"As I have said many times at these hearings," I said, "I don't deal in hypotheticals, which is what that question is. Ask me about facts of this case, and I'll answer to the best of my ability."

"I don't accept that." said Finneran. "I am trying to determine if you have treated Captain Croyle differently than you would treat other Police Officers. So answer the question."

"Again, I will not answer a hypothetical question like that." I said. "What I will say, and every Officer knows this, is that I well might treat a Police Captain differently than other Officers. Captain Croyle has earned those bars on her shoulders, and I'll trust my own judgement when determining what to do in situations like these."

"So to be clear," said Finneran, thinking he was on to something, "you treat Captain Croyle differently than you do other Officers."

"Depending on the situation... absolutely yes." I replied with alacrity.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thankfully, my part was done. Now the fireworks could begin. And they did.

"So, Captain Croyle," said Finneran, "once again, you're part of an incident. Hostages taken. A man shot dead... by you. You gave up your gun. How is it, Captain Croyle, that you keep being the subject of Boards of Inquiry? Why are you always putting yourself in these situations?"

"I object to that question." said Mike G. Todd. "What, are you saying that Captain Croyle cannot go to the grocery store, or the bank, or any other function?"

"I'm asking her, not you." said Finneran.

At that point, Mike stood up. "Mr. Silas, on behalf of the Police Captain's Union, I formally object to Finneran's continued presence on this Board of Inquiry. He has repeatedly in the past taken unwarranted positions, which now include trying to blame my client for the actions of others to rob a bank. I do not believe my client can or will get a fair hearing, and if he won't recuse himself, then I demand that you remove him."

"You 'demand'?" Silas said angrily. "And if I don't excuse him?"

"Then I want this procedure continued so that I can sue you in Court." Mike said with alacrity.

"Well, I can tell you that we're not stopping." said Silas. "The Council is waiting for the results of our inquiry."

"I am not on the Council's timetable, Mr. Silas." said Mike Todd. "I am here to represent and safeguard the rights and interests of Captain Croyle and Captain Romano. I believe Finneran has violated my client's rights as well as slandered her with his insinuations. I insist that you remove Finneran, and will take it to the Courts if need be."

Finneran's face was a mask of hatred, but it was the exasperation on Silas's face that worried me. He'd looked towards Chief Moynahan... who was sitting beside me in the gallery... but the Chief's face was hard and offered no help.

"I agree with Mr. Todd." said Fitzgerald, speaking up and speaking forcefully. "Finneran has shown outright hostility to Captain Croyle in the past, his insinuations before gathering the facts bespeak bias as well as a predisposed outcome. His continued presence on this Board of Inquiry constantly creates drama as well as having the effect of slowing down this process."

"Why don't I remove you, then?" asked Silas, looking angrily at Fitzgerald.

"I'll definitely sue if you remove Mr. Fitzgerald without removing Finneran." Mike G. Todd said loudly. He sounded happier than he should be sounding, I might add.

"Mr. Silas," said Finneran, "I object to the presence of this lawyer, and demand he be removed from this room and this hearing."

"Finneran, you're not helping." said Silas. "Captain Croyle is entitled to Union representation and he is that representation, his legal degree notwithstanding." He stood up. "I'm calling a recess. I need to see Mr. Todd and Chief Moynahan in my office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"For God's sake, Chief." said Silas as he, Finneran, Fitzgerald, Mike Todd and the Chief sat in the crowded office. "Why can't we get through just one of these hearings without this crap?"

"You tell meeeee, Mr. Silas." replied the Chief. "We've objected to Finneran's hostility many times. Yet you insist on keeping him on these Boards, while threatening to remove Mr. Fitzgerald. I'm beginning to question your integrity, Mr. Silas."

"Why you-------" started Silas, but Fitzgerald intervened.

"He's right, Silas." said Fitzgerald, who sounded very frustrated himself. "All the drama goes back to Finneran, not to the Police Officers------"

"Would you shut the fuck up?" Silas said menacingly.

"NO! I WILL NOT SHUT UP!" shouted Fitzgerald. "I am a Commissioner, too! And I am sick and goddamn tired of Finneran's abusive tactics and you not doing the right thing and removing him!"

"So why don't I remove you, Fitzgerald?" hissed Silas.

"Fine by me," said Fitzgerald, "as long as you remove Finneran, too."

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened, not waiting for Silas's invitation to come in. J.P. Goldman came in, followed by Edward R. Steele, followed by Your Iron Crowbar. And I was carrying my red crowbar.

"Would everyone except Mr. Silas please leave?" ordered J.P. Goldman.

"Why?" snarled Finneran.

"Because I said so." said Goldman. "And this young man is here to enforce my 'request'." He had pointed at me when he said that. I was tapping the red crowbar in my hand as I stared at Finneran.

"I know I can't beat the Iron Crowbar physically." said Chief Moynahan. "I'll be right outside. Gentlemen, unless you think you can win a fight with the Iron Crowbar, I'd suggest you leave, as well."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After they left, Goldman sat down without being invited. Steele stood next to him, and I was behind them.

"Sure you want him here?" snarled Silas, indicating me.

"Yes." said Steele. "He's our bodyguard. Not really, but I know he won't brook much more shit."

"Mr. Silas," said J.P. Goldman, "this has reached the point of no return. Mr. Todd is just the tip of the iceberg; the Police Union and Police Captain's Union really are prepared to sue the County to keep Finneran off all future Boards of Inquiry."

"You can do what you want, Mr. Goldman," said Silas. "But we can snarl this in months of legal wrangling, and only the lawyers will profit from it. I will speak candidly: Mr. Finneran has had his issues with Commander Troy and Captain Croyle in the past, but I don't think he did anything today to warrant these dramatics and your threats. His question were legitimate, and if he's not there to ask them, I will ask them."

"Furthermore," continued Silas, "if you force me to remove Finneran, I'll vote his way regardless of the facts. It'll be deadlocked at best, or it'll be delayed for months."

"I don't care about the time constraints any longer." said Goldman. "I'm going to order a new Board of Inquiry to be formed, with none of you three on it... or not: I was there, I saw what happened, and the Council doesn't need your input to act."

"So, let's get this resolved." said Steele. "The Iron Crowbar is getting impatient."

"Shouldn't you be preparing for the Independent State Counsel, Commander?" asked Silas.

"That's tomorrow." I said. "You should be worrying about me... today."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I had to keep Finneran and Fitzgerald separated." said the Chief. "Finneran almost attacked Fitzgerald."

"Too bad he didn't." I said. "I'd have enjoyed seeing his look of shock when you ripped him with your martial arts skills."

"Heh heh heh heh." chuckled the Chief. "I'm not you or Commander Ross, but I can hold my own. How did you know, by the way? I swore the SWAT Team to secrecy."

"And they've kept the secret." I said. "But I get here early sometimes, and I happened to see you training with them one day."

"Heh." said the Chief. "So what went on in there?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the Board reconvened, Finneran had a smirk on his face, thinking he'd won. Fitzgerald looked angry. Silas looked tired.

"Let's get to the nitty-gritty of this." said Finneran loudly "Captain Croyle, you gave up your gun to the criminals. That violates TCPD policies, as well as putting all of the hostages in greater danger."

Teresa said nothing. Finneran said "Well?"

"I didn't hear a question anywhere in there." Teresa said flatly. "If you want an answer, ask a question." There were snickers of laughter in the audience. Finneran became red-faced.

"Did you give up your gun?" Finneran asked.

"Yes." said Teresa.

"Why?" asked Fitzgerald, before Finneran could say more and before Silas could stop him (Fitzgerald).

"The perps got the drop on me." said Teresa. "One of them had his gun in Father Romano's ear, literally. The other had his gun pointed at others. I had no choice at that point, in order to keep people alive."

"Were you wearing armor?" asked Finneran.

"Yes." said Teresa.

"So why didn't you shoot the perps?" Finneran almost yelled. "Father Romano was wearing Police armor, as well."

"First," said Teresa, "I didn't know he had on armor. Second, his head wasn't armored. Third, the other people in the room didn't have on armor."

"Yeah, you had on armor." Finneran said sarcastically. "And you gave that up, too. Why did you give up your armor?"

"Same reasons." said Teresa. "Mr. Finneran, you sound like you would have preferred me do something stupid and have people die. Is that what you wanted? Did you want a bloodbath in there?"

"Mind your tone, Captain." said Silas. "Your comment was unwarranted and out of line. I expect an apology."

"Why?" asked Mike G. Todd. "My client is right. You heard Mr. Goldman's testimony; my client's thoughtful decisions and actions saved lives. She did not act rashly, and she did take action when the opportunity presented itself------"

"Mr. Todd!" yelled Silas. "You are here to represent your client, not testify on her behalf!"

Mike Todd stood up and said loudly: "I once again formally object to Mr. Finneran's continued presence on this Board of Inquiry." This was meant to destroy the thin agreement between Silas and the Council Members earlier. We were in danger of being back to Square One...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Late on the afternoon of Tuesday, July 17th, I had secured all of the information in the 'Queenie Files' into TCPD evidence servers, under seal. After reading the paper documents, I took them to the Chief.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd add your seal to mine." I said. "We need to keep this stuff tight."

"That will be nooooo problem." said Moynahan. He turned to his computer and took the needed action. Then he began looking at the papers.

"The papers appear to be stuff the mole turned over to someone, maybe to Queenie or Katherine Woodburn." I said. "The jump drives are, wouldn't you know it, encrypted. There are a couple of files that might be clues to decoding the encryption, but it's like a Cicada3301 puzzle, and I just don't have the time to figure it out, right now."

"So this mole passed on information of Governor Jared's discussions with lawyers, some of his staff's budget planning, and strategy pushing for more arrests of illegal aliens." said the Chief. "Oh my..."

"Yes." I said. "also, there's some information on the Governor's Security Staff's basic operations. That's SBI stuff... but more importantly, the enemy having that information led to the planning of the attack at the Lakeside Inn & Suites. Queenie's own purloined information contributed to her own death."

"Horrible." said the Chief. "Welllll, Mr. Crowbar... go home. Get some rest. Get ready for Mullen. Kick his ass. We'll hold down the fort up here..."

Part 11 - Seeking Council

Tuesday, July 24th. The Town & County Council was meeting in executive session.

"Okay," said the Mayor, "we finally got the Board of Inquiry's report of the bank robbery incident, just yesterday... and that was because I called Commissioner Silas and read him the Riot Act. I don't know what is going on with that Board, but I agree with Mr. Goldman that changes must be made, there."

"They'd better be the right changes." snarled Kelly Carnes. Some wondered if she was trying to be 'Kelly Cunt', taking over the role vacated by Teresa Croyle. "I will raise holy hell if anyone tries to remove Mr. Finneran from any Boards of Inquiry involving the Police."

"The Police Unions are ready to match your 'holy hell', Ms. Carnes. In Court." said Edward R. Steele. "They are threatening to sue to prevent Mr. Finneran from being on any more Boards involving the Police. After what I saw the other day, I fully agree with their position."

"Let's go to Court, then." snarled Carnes. "I want someone who will challenge the Police, will ask the hard questions to determine the truth, especially if the Police acted abusively, as always seems to be the case with Commander Troy."

"Determining the truth is one thing." said J.P. Goldman, speaking as strongly and as forcefully as anyone could remember him speaking at a Council meeting. "Distorting the truth is another, and that is what Finneran has constantly been doing. I'm even more disappointed with Silas; he's lost control of his Board."

"Listen, everyone." said the Mayor. "I agree that this is an issue that needs discussion, but let's reserve a future time specifically for it. Right now, let's look at the Board's report. As usual of late, it's broken down into several parts: indemnity for Captain Croyle for shooting the perp; Captain Croyle's actions giving up her gun and her armor; and Father Romano's actions."

"On the shooting," said the Mayor, the vote is 2-1 that the shooting was justified and correct. On Captain Croyle giving up her armor, the vote is 1-1, with Silas abstaining. The standard operating procedure is to not give up one's gun, but it does provide for taking into consideration the overall situation and the experience of the Officer."

"In other words," said Ian McGhillie, "vaguely written, allows backdoors out to save face. Sounds like this Council wrote it." Some of the other Members laughed.

"All I'm going to say is that I was there." said J.P. Goldman. "And from what-------"

"You should recuse yourself from this, then." Kelly Carnes thundered. "You're too close to it."

"I will not recuse myself, Mrs. Carnes." Goldman thundered back. "I know what I saw, and I don't have to rely on any Boards of Inquiry to know the truth. In this situation, Captain Croyle acted to the benefit of several of my employees, who were being held hostage, who have families at home counting on their safe return home every night."

"If it had been just me, Chaplain Romano and herself," continued Goldman, "maybe we think about it differently... oh, that's right, she did act differently. She took out one perp with personal combat, and another with a gun after he shot at her and shot the Chaplain."

"The last item," said the Mayor, "is Father Romano's actions. Commander Troy put him in for the Medal of Valor. Captain Croyle strongly endorsed that, and the Chief and Sheriff added their endorsements as they passed it up to us."

"Good grief." said Kelly Carnes.

"Nothing against Chaplain Romano, but I thought we were going to stop giving out Medals of Valor like candy." said Susan Weston.

"Yes," said Malinda Adams, "what does it say of our Peace Officers that the Officer who should be the most peaceful of all is receiving a decoration meant normally given for military-style actions?"

"It says Chaplain Romano is an extremely brave man." replied Ian McGhillie. "What does the Board report say?"

"Again 1-1 with Silas abstaining." said the Mayor. "Finneran was adamant that this did not meet the requirements of a Line of Duty wounding, and Fitzgerald was just as adamant that it was and LOD incident. Silas appears to be bitter about the political pressure the Union's lawyer, Mike G. Todd, put on him, and also your actions at the Board meeting, Mr. Goldman."

"Harrumph." Goldman muttered. "At least Finneran has the backbone to state his case. Silas is a coward."

"I think it was an LOD the minute the perps came into the bank." said Ian McGhillie. "Chaplain Romano is a Police Officer, as is Captain Croyle."

"I don't agree." said Kelly Carnes. "Being on their lunch break is like being off-duty. It was no more for them than any civilian at the scene."

The argument was long and raucous, but at the end the vote was 8-2. Father Romano would be getting a Purple Order for being wounded in the line of duty. And then came the rest of it...

Part 12 - A Dog's Day

Monday, July 30th. The kids of the Cancer Center at the University were beside themselves with excitement as they gathered in the 'Big Playroom' at the Hospital. Many of their parents were also there.

When Captain Teresa Croyle came in, they applauded loudly. "Thank you!" she said. "And thank you for that sign on the Hospital on race day!"

"Did you see that?" one girl said excitedly.

"I sure did." Teresa said. "And when I did, I started running faster and harder. Your sign helped us win." The kids were more than a little happy to hear that.

"Okay," Teresa said. "It's time to meet our special guest. Remember, don't yell or be loud; Bowser doesn't like loud noises, okay?"

The kids agreed, and around the corner came a very handsome Police Dog, wearing his badge and bandana. I saw the lights in the kids' eyes as Bowser came in, and it did my heart good to see such love.

The kids were very orderly, and Bowser was going to them one by one. Hands petted him, surprisingly gently, and he seemed to know which kids needed some canine 'encouragement' to perk up and be happy.

As this went on, I noticed one little girl, not as old as Carole or Marie, in the back of the group. She was being boxed out by other kids, unintentionally, and it looked like Bowser would pass by without her getting to pet him. She looked like she was about to cry.