Man of War Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Despite the map we'd been provided, there were watch-men placed along the deck, reporting what they could see below. Another relief that it was a clear, sunny day. Leliana joined me as I returned to the quarterdeck, though I stood back from Pressly and Moreau. The last thing they needed was me interfering. I trusted them to do their jobs and get us through the reef.

The deeper we entered it, the more course corrections that were made, the slower the ship sailed until we were barely doing a couple of knots. But the maps suggested that, after a relatively easy entrance, we would zig-zag for at least a couple of hours before making it halfway through.

"Mister Pressly, if you need to relax, you let me know," I offered, "Someone can carry on the task."

"Thank you, sir. But I've studied these maps relentlessly. I want to get us through."

"Very well."

I understood why, but I also knew that, if he was just absolutely exhausted by it, he would stand aside. But he wasn't tired yet, only stopping to mop at his brow every so often. Despite the breeze, it was a warm day, particularly when dressed in a blue coat. He eventually had to take it off, dressed in his shirt and vest, sweat stains at his armpits.

Checking my watch, it had already been a couple of hours, amazed at how time could fly when you were concentrating. Stepping forward to glance at the map, I could see how the path moved through the reef, amazed that someone had managed to figure it all out. And though we had deckhands looking over the side, I doubted they'd be able to call out in time for us to stop. They were mostly there for peace of mind. Everything relied on Pressly and his calculations.

"Turn to port, Moreau. In 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Turn, Moreau! Fifteen degrees." Moreau spun the wheel, the ship immediately reacting, feeling it ride a large wave as it turned. "3... 2... 1... Level it off!" Moreau relaxed and the ship tacked on the correct course. "Half a mile, Moreau. Starboard turn, twenty degrees." He noticed my glance. "This is the difficult part, Captain. Many course corrections in a short space of time."

"Let's hope the map is correct, Mister Pressly."

"You and me both, sir."

The next hour was, quite frankly, insane. Pressly seemed to issue a new instruction nearly every minute. The ship ended up crawling along as the course corrections just kept on coming, Pressly noting the channel we were now traversing narrowed considerably, and being only a metre or two out of position could mean catastrophe.

Returning to the deck, I peered over the side again and it seemed the reef was right underneath our ship. Leliana was once again by my side, joined by Jane and Miranda. "This is insane," Jane muttered.

"Nervous?" I asked, only half-joking.

"Honestly, part of me is just dreading that fateful sound of our shipping running aground."

"Are you trying to jinx us?" Miranda wondered, thankfully making it a joke, probably to cover her own nerves.

"How are the men, Lieutenant?" I wondered myself. I had been listening to the sea-shanties when we'd first weighed anchor, but even those had been silenced the deeper we entered the reef.

"Most are nervous, though doing their best to pass the time. Aela has them performing their regular tasks, but some are ready to jump ship if we hit ground."

"I doubt they can actually swim."

"Can you?" Leliana asked.

"Well enough not to drown, but I'd still need rescuing pretty damned fast."

The ship made a series of short, sharp turns, bad enough that one or two sailors, probably those who were inexperienced, had to head towards the side to throw up. It was something I'd seen time and again from those who had yet to earn their sea legs. Some men adapted naturally, but ships could prove unwieldly beasts, and if seas were rough, the sides of a ship could end up coated in vomit.

Of course, I'd never admit that on my very first voyage, we hit rough seas within two days of leaving port, and couldn't keep any food down for two more, but I still had to perform the tasks expected of me, despite spending half my time leaning over the side, much to the amusement of my fellow officers in training.

"Halfway point, Captain!" Pressly called.

"Thank the Five for that!" I called back to the amusement of others.

It remained rather treacherous for another half an hour or so as I swapped my position between the quarter- and main deck. My presence wasn't intimidating but I knew I'd distract Pressly with questions. Or peek over his shoulder as he worked, and no-one liked that. But once we were past the worst of it, at least according to him, I resumed my position at the bridge as I felt Pressly start to relax.

"Another half an hour, sir, and according to the map, it should be a relatively straight run, just the occasional minor course correction."

"How long from there?"

"All being well, two hours, sir."

I couldn't help sigh with relief. "Keep on it, Pressly. Get us through."

"Aye-aye, sir."

As he relaxed, I relaxed. And as I appeared more relaxed, everyone else relaxed with me. No-one was over-confident, thinking we were through just yet. As long as we remained within the confines of the reef, we were not one hundred percent safe. Then again, you were never that safe while at sea. Even within the fifty to eighty miles of sea between the shores of the Empire and Great Barrier Reef, the sea could throw the worst at us. Remembering some of the worst weather I'd experienced, I'm sure I wasn't the only one wondering what a wide ocean could do to us.

Returning to my quarters, I started to write, first my official log, which I would add to that evening when Pressly presented his report, before writing a second entry into my diary. I was no wordsmith but I hoped to convey the sense of excitement but also danger in what we were in the process of achieving. I spent an hour in privacy before returning to the bridge, Pressly reporting that the channel was now wider than the ship, at least according to the maps. I was amazed at how accurate they were, left believing that vessels must have been sent out at some point, long ago, to figure all this out. This wasn't simply guesswork; it was far too accurate. It was at least one question I'd ask on our return.

"One more course correction, Moreau, then it's a straight run until we're clear."

I could hear calls from the deck that the reef was starting to disappear. Whatever made it up was still a danger, but apparently there were enough gaps that suggested it was starting to thin out. I checked my watch, amazed at the time. It had been seven hours, not six. But I didn't care about that. We managed to get through before darkness fell, and we were still in one piece. That was the important thing.

More calls from the deck. Pressly continued to check his sextant, taking our position, judging it against our speed, before looking at his map, marking where we were. "Ten minutes, Captain, and we're through."

I would wait until we were clear before celebrating, but I checked my watch again, and counted down each minute. The calls from the deck was that the reef had practically disappeared, but I would wait until Pressly confirmed out position. Once we were through, he would have to start on an entirely new piece of paper as he would be the creator of a new map. Granted, he'd have nothing to actually draw considering we'd be in the middle of an ocean, so he'd spend more time taking our direction, nothing our speed, and can then make an estimate of how far our Empire is from the nearest landmass.

Pressly placed all his paraphernalia on the table and started to put on his jacket. I gestured for all officers to join me as he turned to face me. "Captain Shepard, I am proud to report that the Normandy has passed through the Great Barrier Reef. What lies ahead of us, only the gods now know."

I offered my hand. "Well done, Master Pressly. Well done." I turned to my officers. "Pass the word. The Normandy is through."

As handshakes were shared on the quarterdeck, we could hear the cheers from the main deck and decks below. The one thing sailors fear above all else is being involved in a shipwreck and more than likely drowning as a result. Now that we were through, there was still a danger, but it was greatly diminished. Sea shanties started immediately, and I asked that a double of the rum ration be handed out to the men. "Let them celebrate, but make sure they behave," I warned.

Darkness was now falling, and the day shift was soon at an end. After a successful day, I had to celebrate, asking Steward Ramsey to provide another meal, and I invited all my officers to once again attend. We enjoyed a roast that night, lamb with mint sauce, potatoes and vegetables, Ramsey informing me that those would only last another couple of days before they were spoiled. "Enjoy it while you can," I told my officers, "We'll soon be on salt beef and biscuits."

"As long as we have some gravy to wash it down," Alenko stated.

"And alcohol!" Jane exclaimed to the amusement of the table.

I raised my glass. "Officers of the Normandy, a salute to the Sailing Master, Charles Pressly. His navigation of this vessel through the Great Barrier Reef is a story for the ages, and one that must be shared upon our return to Arcturus."

"Here-here!" was the chorus as glasses were raised. Pressly raised his glass and nodded at us all before we knocked back the contents.

Everyone was now relaxed; the ship was barely moving as we'd reduced sail. The Night Master would take position by the constellations, so when Pressly returned in the morning, he'd know our approximate position. It could now only be approximate considering our ship now floated in the unknown.

My officers slowly but surely retired for the evening. Most would return to the wardroom and probably enjoy another drink or two. That was their right, as officers, ladies and gentleman. As long as they were at their station in the morning, preferably without a hangover, then there wouldn't be a problem. Before he left, I made sure to give Pressly another warm handshake, again congratulating him for our safe progress through the reef. "Just doing my job, sir."

"Above and beyond, Mister Pressly. Above and beyond. Simply magnificent."

"Thank you, sir."

Only Leliana remained at the table, which wasn't a real surprise to me. Offering my arm, she looped her hand through as I escorted her outside onto the deck, ending up at the rear of the ship so we had a clear view of the sky. There were two moons, the larger one called Luna, the smaller one called Secunda. In addition to the two moons were the millions of stars that twinkled. Leliana cuddled into my arm beside me, as a breeze picked up. I took off my coat and wrapped it over her shoulders.

"Do you know many of the constellations?" she wondered.

"One or two. I'm sure Pressly knows them all. Or the Night Master, Picard. He'd definitely know them all too."

"Which one's do you know?"

"Hmmm, let's see. Some are difficult to find with the naked eye." I searched until I pointed. "Ah, there is the constellation that represents the Empire. Draco, otherwise known as the Dragon." I continued to point as I rattled off a few more that I remembered. Whether I was correct, I'm not sure, but I don't think it really mattered.

"You ever wish upon on a shooting star?"

"I've only ever seen one once while at sea. A long time ago now. Some sailors see it as a sign of the gods. Others are frightened of such phenomena. I just thought it was a marvellous if albeit too brief a spectacle."

"I've seen one. And, for once, I wished for purely selfish reasons."

"What did you wish for?"

"Love. That is, to find a man to love, and for him to love me in return."

"That's quite the wish. Have you been unlucky in love?"

"In a manner of speaking." She didn't add anything further until I glanced in her direction. She met my eyes before adding quietly, "I was left devastated, Shepard. Ever had the feeling of trust you had in someone irrevocably broken?" I shook my head. "I thought that was why Mercury spoke to me. Give my life to the Five and I would never be hurt again."

"Whoever it was, they were a damned fool."

"Someone best forgotten, Shepard. They are back there; I am here now... with you." I turned her towards me and immediately wrapped my arms around her, feeling her head rest on my chest, her hands on my back as mine gently stroked hers, though only over the jacket I'd wrapped around her.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Don't be. All is well now." I stroked her hair, appreciating its scent, as I figured it wouldn't last too much longer, though assumed she would wash whenever she could and wear perfume. Officers generally found ways and means of smelling somewhat pleasant. Men down below in the lower decks... not so much after a good week or two. And if you got the superstitious bunch who didn't wash the entire time at sea, it was hard not to be left gagging.

"My love has always been the sea. Jane teases me relentlessly about that. She's my little sister, and it's her right. But as I've always told her, maybe I was just waiting for the right woman to come along."

"And if she did? What would you do?"

"Ask for a posting on land so I could remain at home. Though if she were interested in life on a ship, I'd see what could be organised. I think I might be owed a favour or two after this."

She leaned back, her face and eyes lit up by the moonlight. Having two full moons, it wasn't quite sunlight, but there was more light than one would expect. "Vous êtes un homme merveilleux, Capitaine Shepard. Et je suis déjà en train de tomber amoureuse de toi."

"I didn't understand any of that except my surname. My own fault, I guess I should have learned it over the years."

She just smiled and rested her head against my chest again. "I'll tell you later," she said quietly.

We couldn't stand there all night, but I don't think I was the only one who didn't want to part. Escorting her down to the wardroom, half of me wanted to invite her to my quarters. Not for anything untoward, just her company. But if we were now courting, there were rules of being a gentleman. Not that I was always a gentleman, considering what I was up to during my last furlough. Another part of me wanted to kiss her before we parted for the evening. I think she wanted me to kiss her as I took her hands in mine.

"You should join me for dinner in my cabin one night. Just you and I alone."

It wouldn't have come as a surprise, but it still caused her to blush. "I would be delighted, Shepard."

"Good... Good..." I leaned down to kiss her, but proved a coward at the last second, and left a soft kiss on her cheek. She did the same to me in return, before she hugged me again. Well, I couldn't stand there and not return that gesture.

"Goodnight, Captain," she whispered into my ear. Just feeling her hot breath on my neck sent a shiver up and down my spine.

"Goodnight, Leliana."

By the Five, I should have taken her by the hand and escorted her to my cabin. No-one would have said a word. It was probably already expected. The Five would have delighted that I'd finally found a woman who wasn't a whore and paid for. It would get Jane off my back at the same time. But I let her go and she turned into the wardroom, turning back as always with a smile.

I'll admit, I cursed myself slightly as I walked back towards my cabin. Jeeves was still clearing up the table, looking up as I entered alone. He sighed as I closed the doors. "Returning alone, sire?"

"It's for the best, Jeeves. We can't rush such things."

"Your affection for each other is obvious, sire. There is no such thing as 'rushing things' if you desire each other immediately."

I couldn't help chuckle as I walked across towards the table, grabbing the bottle of brandy for a last drink before bed. I offered the bottle to Jeeves, who nodded he would accept a snifter. After pouring each of us a measure and passing him the glass, I asked, "To what do we toast?"

"The wonderful women that serve the Five, sire."

I chuckled again, shaking my head. "Subtle, Jeeves. Very subtle." I raised my glass. "To the sisters and priestesses of the faith."

It was definitely something we could both drink to.

*****

Year 2183 of the Empire (since Foundation Year)

Year 979 of the Third Era of Empire (Dragonheart Line)

Veneris, the twenty-sixth day of Morning Star

Mid-afternoon

Now came the monotony. The first morning with the ocean blue surrounding us, I gave my orders to Pressly. Take us north-west and keep going until I ordered to change our course. He would charge our progress and map out what he could. If we found any sort of landmass, we would stop and survey it. If it was only an island or similar, we would move on. But if it appeared to be something significant, then we would drop anchor and take one of the rowboats to shore. That is when the Imperial Marines would be called into action. I generally felt sympathy for them every voyage, as they were rarely called upon, but most could fill in with other duties while on board.

The ocean was relatively calm, a slightly swell but that would be as expected. The Normandy rode the waves perfectly, barely feeling the ship rise and fall at times. After relieving myself that morning and enjoying breakfast, I started to issue orders to my officers. Most important was to keep the men occupied and have men placed on watch to watch around the ship to keep an eye on the horizon. Though if a ship saw us when we saw them, getting away would be difficult.

To be honest, I wouldn't turn my ship away. I'd head straight for them to find out if they were friendly or not. If they were not, I was confident in my ship and crew.

Being the first day past the reef, spirits were still incredibly high, and I knew keeping them high would be the most difficult thing for my officers and I. The spirit of adventure and discovery should keep most men enthusiastic most of the time, but day after day of nothing but endless ocean was probably going to wear on the body and mind. Even my officers, even myself, will find it hard at times.

When not in my cabin or situated on the bridge, I would often stroll the top deck and converse with the crew. Enlisted men were always surprised when I started chatting with them, showing an interest in who they were and what they did on the ship. It was impossible to remember four or five hundred names on such a vessel, but that didn't mean I couldn't at least attempt to learn faces and get to know most of them. Not all captains thought the same way. Every captain had their own particular way of commanding a vessel. I wasn't trying to be a man of the people, but seamen kept the ship afloat just as much as the officers in charge. And anyone who forget that is a damned fool.

Sailors came from across the twelve realms. There were even men from Hilamshiral, and considering the history of their role within the Empire, even centuries later, it was still surprising to hear the slight accent and hear they are from that region. Perhaps not as surprising were the Prussian and Norman accents, being the two largest realms, though there were plenty of mentions of Bebbanburg and Trois-Rivieres too.

Each man would receive a shake of the hand, meeting his eyes at the same time. How you treat your fellow man is a reflection on yourself. I made sure the ship sailed correctly, the men were disciplined and performed their duties not only as required, but as expected. But that didn't mean I had to be inhuman or indifferent to those who sailed on my vessel. And I truly believe the men appreciated those few seconds I took to converse with them, asking a question or two. In that minute or two, they were the most important person on the ship in my eyes and theirs.