Marcus Reed

Story Info
Marcus's mom is over powered by demons.
1.7k words
4.44
5.3k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marcus awoke from his sleep in a panic, heart racing, and covered in sweat. He wasn't sure how he had been jolted awake or why he was feeling so afraid. He didn't remember having a nightmare; in fact, it was a nice dream that included Hannah, the girl down the street. Hannah had soft sandy blonde hair that glowed in the sunlight. Her green eyes were always bright and filled with joy. She was funny, kind, and somewhat mischievous. They spent the day together at the park picnicking, laughing, and playing tag. He was chasing her around the sandpit and was about to tag her when...

There it was again. That strange feeling that woke him. It felt like a strange static on his skin. He looked around his room straining to see if there was a monster hiding in the shadows.

All humans are born with that extra sense that detected the supernatural. Around age four, kids begin sensing creatures are nearby. Most parents inform them there is nothing to fear, those creatures of the night, they're just stories. Growing up believing what their parents tell them, most humans don't bother to nurture it. So it fades away over time leaving adults unequipped.

Marcus knew better. He had seen vampires, werewolves, goblins, and shapeshifters. Every day they walk around the city perfectly blending in with society. His science teacher was fae. His piano instructor had been a vampire that studied under Lee Sims, one of the best jazz pianists of the 1920s.

His mom called the supernaturals that conformed to human living, Chameleons. Chameleons were able to adapt to their surroundings and survive in a place, where once they would have perished. His mother was Isabella Reed, the White Grand Witch of Seattle, and it was her job to lead her coven to protect the residents of their beloved city from anyone or anything that intended harm.

In the 1960s the supernaturals that wished to conform to a more peaceful life, began to integrate with human society. Now, most creatures live in peace with the witches. However, some like Demons, ghosts, and creatures of darkness, refused to accept this peace and often waged war with the witches.

When Marcus found no evidence of a supernatural presence in his room, he slipped out of bed and walked down the hall to find his mom. He knew that if anything or anyone was in the house, she would sense it too. Unfortunately, her room was empty. He stood in the doorway puzzled, why would she not be in bed when it is almost 3 in the morning?

He heard a crash come from the study, so he dashed down the stairs to investigate. Right before he opened the door, he heard his mom performing a banishing chant. He could hear the rhythm of the Latin words, smell the lemon and sage herbs burning in the air, adding an extra layer of protection. The chanting became louder, and he could feel her power increasing.

The sensation he got from her power, reminded him of the first time she had taken him to the beach to look out over the Pacific Ocean. Looking over the vast water, he was filled with wonder, peace, serenity, and a little fear. Like the ocean, his mother's power was beautiful, strong, and mysterious. It could provide an abundance of life and beauty, but it could also destroy and vanquish in seconds. "I knew it! There was something in the house" he thought as he pulled open the door. What he saw next would change his life forever.

The office was more like a library. Bookshelves lined the walls, every book a witch could ever need was neatly placed on these shelves. Floor to ceiling of books on potions, herbs, spells, curses, ceremonies, and in-depth research notes from studying the supernaturals for centuries. In the middle of the room, in front of a big bay window, stood a big cherry desk, where his mother spent most of her day. He had spent many hours in this room, studying witchcraft and helping his mom.

A terrible feeling started to knot up his stomach, he felt nauseous. His skin burned and felt like little needles were stabbing him. Scanning the room he found his mother kneeling in the far left corner of the room beside the potted ferns. She looked tired and had cuts all over her body that were oozing blood. Her clothing and the carpet beneath were soaked with it.

She was fighting what looked like shadow people, but they were slightly different. For one, they were more solid. They still had the smoky shadow essence that followed their movements, but their bodies looked like hardened. You could see fire between the cracks in their skin, and the smell of sulfur polluted the air.

Marcus could feel their power radiating from their auras. It reminded him of death, decay, pain, anger, fear, and it made him sick to his stomach. They were strong, and for the first time, Marcus was concerned that their evil might be potent enough to overpower his mom. Fear danced across his brain at the thought that she might lose to these grotesque creatures. Instinct kicked in and he ran to her side, grabbed her hand, and linked their powers. Marcus wasn't that strong but he would give her all he had.

As soon as he felt their bond snap into place, he joined his mother in the banishing chant. He had fought his mom last summer over learning Latin, but now he was relieved that she had finally persuaded him. Being bonded he felt his mother speak into his mind, "No Marcus! Leave! Get out of here now!" she demanded.

Hearing the panic that filled her voice, a coldness crept over Marcus as he realized that Isabella knew she couldn't defeat these shadow creatures. He also knew she would never give up; she would protect the city at all costs. Marcus also knew Isabella didn't want him to get hurt; she wanted him safely hidden away. He wasn't going to abandon her, nor would he abandon his city.

So, with eyes that had already accepted his fate, he looked at his mother with love and pride and continued with the chant. Through the bond, he could feel his mother's heartbreaking; she had never once hated her job, until this moment. Marcus squeezed his mother's hand to comfort her and inform her, there was nowhere else in the world he would rather be. He was where he needed to be, with her, protecting the city they both loved.

As Marcus began to lose time, he observed that the creatures hadn't advanced on them, they were being held at bay. However, Marcus was starting to feel the strain of the spell. He was growing weak and tired. He realized he wouldn't be able to help much longer and when his magic ran out, the two of them would die.

Again his mother's voice filled his head, "Marcus I need you to listen to me carefully. You have an amazing destiny before you if you choose the silver path. But whatever path you choose, you must find her. Find the daughter of Wisdom before it is too late. Now get out of here, and let me finish this," She pleaded.

"No, I won't leave you! I can't," Marcus yelled with anguish, tears filling his eyes.

Isabella looked at her son, so grown up, her heart swelled with pride at his loyalty to her. "Marcus, you must live..."

The door suddenly burst from its hinges and flew across the room crashing into the shadow creatures. His stunned gaze flew to where the door once stood and he saw Miranda Kale and Tomika Livingston, the two strongest witches in his mother's coven. His little heart filled with relief and hope, Miranda and Tomika, where a lovely and fearsome sight to behold. Miranda was tall 5'11, athletically built; her long shiny black cascaded down her back in waves. Her muscles flexed as her body poised for a fight, and her crystal blue eyes narrowed in on the threat. Miranda's strength lay in her attack and defense spells. She was the fastest in the western hemisphere, even faster than his mother.

Tomika was Miranda's wife, she was even taller than Miranda at 6foot. Her hair was black as night until it reached her shoulders where it turned ash grey. Her skin had always reminded Marcus of smooth melted chocolate. Tomika had come from a warrior tribe of witches in east Africa. Her specialties were weather manipulation and hand to hand combat. Separate, these two women were highly impressive in battle, together, they were deadly.

Tomika's charcoal-colored eyes landed on Marcus and Isabella, and she advanced in their direction.

"Look, mom, Mandy, and Mika are here. We are going to be ok," Marcus cried in relief.

His mother smiled at him, and with sadness in his eyes that Marcus couldn't comprehend. She whispered, "Marcus, I love you so much." Placing a kiss on his forehead, she added, "Be a good boy for them."

Looking up at her prized warrior, "Take him, protect him, train him, he is yours now." Isabella told Tomika with tears spilling from her eyes.

Before Marcus could comprehend the meaning of her words, Tomika snatched him up in her arms. She ran towards the front door, while Miranda covered their retreat. Together, the three of them fled the house to the safety of the woods.

Just seconds after reaching the meadow, Marcus heard the shattering of glass, the splintering of wood, and a loud boomed that echoed through the trees. He turned his gaze upon the two-story house, with its white siding, blue shutters, and walk around porch. So many memories were made by hours spent in the front yard playing with friends.

His eyes took in the horrendous sight of his beloved home, now on fire. Its walls engulfed with hot orange flames popping in the night. Smoke was rising from the windows spreading across the field creating a menacing sight. The smell of smoke particles danced on the inbound breeze, layering his nose with a woody fragrance. With grief constricting his heart, he realized two things, his mother was still inside, and there was no chance of escape.